The NFL Free Agency thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I've said - repeatedly - that I'm against a huge trade up for a QB. The Rams are just not in a position to move up to the top of the draft. However, I could see a trade up a bit to grab Lynch. I think he's very promising, and I also think that even if he mostly sits his rookie season it would be good for the Rams to get a legit QB of the future. I could see the Rams trading #15 and either #43 or #45 to move up a bit for Lynch, and get a mid-round pick back also, so the Rams end up with the same number of picks at least. That way the QB position would hopefully be solved for years, without crippling future drafts for someone who isn't a sure thing.

Based on recent draft trade history If the rams give up one of their second round picks that will likely be enough ammunition to move up for Goff or Wentz in the 3-6 range both who are way better prospects than Lynch. The RGIII trade is an outlier and in hindsight a huge mistake for the Skins,

2012- Cowboys give up pick 14 and 45 for pick 6
2013- Dolphins give up pick 12 and 42 for the 3rd overall pick
2013- Rams give pick 16, 46, 78, and 222 for pick 8 and 71
2014- no top ten trades
2015- no top ten trades

Rams have recently been on both ends of the spectrum of trading up or down in the range we need to get Goff or Wentz. The price is pretty much a 2nd round pick. The Bills deal was a little different because we swapped picks and moved up in the third so we gave up a 7th rounder in addition to a second round pick. Interesting the Bills used our 16th pick on the last QB taken in the teens EJ Manuel a raw, high upside, toolsy guy who hasn't panned out. If the Rams see Wentz or Goff as the future of the Franchise they should go up and get that guy instead of waiting at 15 and making a Manuel like mistake on Lynch,

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Calling BS. Lynch will be a first round pick. QBs are in demand and you can't teach 6'7" 245 with a strong arm, mobility, and impressive college production.

Maybe he makes more sense for a team that has a QB like Arizona, which would suck. The Rams need a guy that can start sooner than later. Arizona drafts upper twenties, and they can afford to give him time.

I am not sure what you are calling BS on. The reports are out there, unless everyone is smoke screening. But if true you yourself stress the mental ability being so bit to success, and I agree. I keep hearing 2-3 years from starting.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I hope we do grab him. I don't think he's as big of a project as many are claiming...and even if he is, he's worth waiting on.

If they sign someone or make a trade also, or as the number two or three guy?

Nobody could teach Jamarcus Russell's size and arm either, but it didn't work too well for him. Lynch's whiteboard sessions at the combine were very bad supposedly.

Btw I don't want any of Cook either. I think finding a guy after the top two will only happen if Lynch pans out over the long haul.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Jets are interested in Nick Fairley

Giants interested in William Hayes

Rams interested in Center, Mack, but unlikely to meet contract demands.

These were just a few bits picked up from links to Twitter stuff. I can't post them .

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Joe Barksdale - T - Chargers
Chargers re-signed RT Joe Barksdale to a four-year contract.

Barksdale, 28, was the only Chargers' offensive lineman able to stay healthy last season, making all 16 starts while the rest of the line crumbled next to him. Barksdale had an up and down year, but received positive marks from PFF for his pass blocking on the right side. The Chargers will hope LT King Dunlap, LG Orlando Franklin, and RG D.J. Fluker can stay healthy in 2016.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
There is like 19 million people living in the LA area, they seem to manage with the higher taxes

But as far as skilled positions go , I agree with you , if your a 3rd string Fullback playing on a one year contract at league minimum , I can see where you might want to weigh the pros and cons of living in LA
Yeah but when millions are on the line the difference in 13.5% state taxes and 0% in Texas or Florida or 3.75% in Illinois is a huge difference.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams see Wentz or Goff as the future of the Franchise they should go up and get that guy instead of waiting at 15 and making a Manuel like mistake on Lynch,

E.J. Manuel was the first QB taken that year and I bashed the pick because he couldn't consistently hit the broad-side of a barn in college. Lynch is a far better prospect than Manuel.

Maybe he makes more sense for a team that has a QB like Arizona, which would suck. The Rams need a guy that can start sooner than later. Arizona drafts upper twenties, and they can afford to give him time.

I am not sure what you are calling BS on. The reports are out there, unless everyone is smoke screening. But if true you yourself stress the mental ability being so bit to success, and I agree. I keep hearing 2-3 years from starting.

I hear that every year about QBs from spread offenses. Yet, time and time again, they play as rookies.

If they sign someone or make a trade also, or as the number two or three guy?

Nobody could teach Jamarcus Russell's size and arm either, but it didn't work too well for him. Lynch's whiteboard sessions at the combine were very bad supposedly.

Btw I don't want any of Cook either. I think finding a guy after the top two will only happen if Lynch pans out over the long haul.

Nobody could make JaMarcus Russell work either. Johnny Manziel failed for similar reasons to why JaMarcus Russell failed.

I've never heard any knocks on Lynch's work ethic or anything about substance abuse concerns.

I don't trust anything coming out right now. Once Bob McGinn starts posting all the scouts takes, I tend to take that a little more seriously. Teams leaking that Lynch did poorly serves one purpose.

wmc540

Pro Bowler

Joe Barksdale - T - Chargers
Chargers re-signed RT Joe Barksdale to a four-year contract.

Barksdale, 28, was the only Chargers' offensive lineman able to stay healthy last season, making all 16 starts while the rest of the line crumbled next to him. Barksdale had an up and down year, but received positive marks from PFF for his pass blocking on the right side. The Chargers will hope LT King Dunlap, LG Orlando Franklin, and RG D.J. Fluker can stay healthy in 2016.

One of his greatest strengths is staying healthy ha

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Arizona Cardinals reportedly going hard after Bruce Irvin and are interested in William Hayes.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Arizona Cardinals reportedly going hard after Bruce Irvin and are interested in William Hayes.

I have heard the name of DE Wm Hayes more often this past week in the sports media than at anytime he was a Ram??? A DE who was never listed as a starter for this Rams team. They just about have every team in the NFL in a biding war on him. Hayes has much more interest that either Chris Long or Eugene Sims (who name has been silent).

If we believe the very truthful un bias & honest sports media world reporters then Wm Hayes will certainly cost very BIG if the Rams want him back. With so many members here concerned about over paying cost $$$ for WWC QB Ryan Fitzgerald then those same members must have already written off any Zero ability on Wm Hayes based on the same criteria reasons they used on a useless NFL position like QB.

Last edited:

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
Yeah but when millions are on the line the difference in 13.5% state taxes and 0% in Texas or Florida or 3.75% in Illinois is a huge difference.

All true - but, as someone who lives in WA (0% income tax) and works in OR (stick 'em up; hand over 10% land) income taxes are paid in the state they are earned in, or pro-rated between them. (I track my days worked in/out of Oregon and pro-rate the tax consequences that way... for me it is lunch money; for an NFL player it could be a new ride!)

So, for instance, when NBA players hit Portland, they hand over 10% of the relative amount they make, per game to the state here. Point is, the savings are less than you might think. Still, if your home is FL, TX or WA, you have certainly reduced the taxes burden by residence in those states, but not eliminated them.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I have the Eagles in the ROD Mock Draft, and up-until yesterday I thought I knew which way to go. Now I have to re-think everything I was going to do!!

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Mario Williams - DL - Free Agent
Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio reports the Dolphins are the "clear front-runners to sign" free agent DE Mario Williams.

Florio reports there is a "push" to get the deal done Tuesday. Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports the impending deal "may be worth roughly $8 million per year." A deal with Williams could prompt the Dolphins to rescind Olivier Vernon's transition tag or, more likely, release veteran Cameron Wake, who is scheduled to count $9.8 million against the cap.
Related: Dolphins

Source: Pro Football Talk
Mar 8 - 10:56 AM

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Calling BS. Lynch will be a first round pick. QBs are in demand and you can't teach 6'7" 245 with a strong arm, mobility, and impressive college production.
I too am sure Lynch will go in the 1st round. The only question is "When!" 7th? 13th? 15? 19th? 20? when!?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Just because the Colts didn't use him that way doesn't mean he can't do it. They wanted him to block because their oline is crap. I bet they let fleener walk and then we'll see what allen is all about.

Kurt, the problem is I do not trust the Rams to be that team that gets more from a player in the passing game. I had the same belief for years with Kendricks, actually hoped they'd develop Harkey, watched Cook continue to suck and make the same mistakes, etc. No way I'd pull the same type of blocking-centric TE in here with the hopes that our all-star offensive staff can turn him into a pass catching juggernaut.

This is why I want Fleener. He actually HAS been that, in 2014. His down year in 2015 means he'll be more affordable than he would otherwise. Dude is huge, athletic, and had one drop in 2014. He's the piece, IMO.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I have heard the name of DE Wm Hayes more often this past week in the sports media than at anytime he was a Ram??? A DE who was never listed as a starter for this Rams team. They just about have every team in the NFL in a biding war on him. Hayes has much more interest that either Chris Long or Eugene Sims (who name has been silent).

If we believe the very truthful un bias & honest sports media world reporters then Wm Hayes will certainly cost very BIG if the Rams want him back. With so many members here concerned about over paying cost $$$ for WWC QB Ryan Fitzgerald then those same members must have already written off any Zero ability on Wm Hayes based on the same criteria reasons they used on a useless NFL position like QB.

I think that teams see what Hayes did with the Rams last season and figure with his age he should be able to be picked up cheaper than the big name guys. If that is their strategy the only way it works is if Hayes is bent on playing for a contender. Otherwise he followed Fisher to the Rams as a backup, which is what he has always been. He has proven he can start but he is not 26years old. He should not be a top dollar free agent.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Overall the free agent market is not that great this year imo. And with so many teams with extra money to spend the prices will be too high. I just hope the Rams can keep their own.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Based on recent draft trade history If the rams give up one of their second round picks that will likely be enough ammunition to move up for Goff or Wentz in the 3-6 range both who are way better prospects than Lynch

Don't want to hijack the FA thread with draft stuff but I agree moving up is the way to go.

I actually do like Lynch, in particular his size and the dude's got the best deep ball in this draft class. But the right guy for the Rams is Goff, he's gonna be the elite QB from this class. I'd also be happy with Wentz if Goff goes 2, because Wentz reminds me of a Big Ben type Steelers QB, he's gonne do just fine in the NFL. I expect Wentz to go 2 though, due to the hands, and from there I pray the Rams make it happen and take Goff.

Status
Not open for further replies.