The New Era of NFL Quarterbacks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The NFL QB class is changing. (Ages listed at start of the 2021 season)

We saw this coming... 2021 is likely the final season for Roethlisberger.

Nearing the end; Brady 44, Roethlisberger 39, Matt Ryan 36, Aaron Rodgers 37

Retired this year; Brees 42, Rivers 39

These two groups will all make a run at the HOF. Matt Ryan probably the only outsider in these lists.

The new top of the mountain; Mahomes 26, Herbert 23, Josh Allen 25, L Jackson 24, Trevor Lawrence?

Crazy huh?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Really like what Herbert did last year but I want to see another year before I move him into that category.

I know they get too much credit being the trigger man on offense but their systems and teammates contribute a lot to their success.

Two years ago is there anyone who didn’t have Goff up there?

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I once thought that Joe Burrow was going to be the next great QB. He still might be, if the Bengals haven't ruined him already.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Definitely a changing of the guard ahead. Who will end up in that top group who knows. But I bet Stafford is in that top 3 every year in this offense.

Another guy to watch is Wentz. He won the lottery this year getting the Indy gig with that offense around him. If he doesn't play well in that situation he'll never come back from it so 2021 looms as a huge year for him. I expect him to rise and the mindless media to suck his nuts.

Jackson will never be an elite QB. He, ironically enough, is a system QB to my eye. So I will enjoy the media crowning him then being wrong as usual.

Ryan is like Goff. He's a second tier guy at best who needs pocket integrity to play at the top level. He may get that in the coming years but he'll never be an elite QB.

And I wouldn't be too quick to crown Herbert. He's a fine young QB and I do think his ceiling is very high but I don't think his ascent is a given by any means. QB is competitive man. Every year new blood coming in. Only the guys who want it the most get there to that elite range.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I once thought that Joe Burrow was going to be the next great QB. He still might be, if the Bengals haven't ruined him already.
If I'm the Bengals I would draft a wideout this year at the top (they're perfectly positioned to do that) and if they find a deep threat watch out. Their WR room is actually rather solid they just lack speed. And of course the protections but as Burrow matures he'll be able to mitigate that a bit IF he's good enough.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Definitely a changing of the guard ahead. Who will end up in that top group who knows. But I bet Stafford is in that top 3 every year in this offense.

Another guy to watch is Wentz. He won the lottery this year getting the Indy gig with that offense around him. If he doesn't play well in that situation he'll never come back from it so 2021 looms as a huge year for him. I expect him to rise and the mindless media to suck his nuts.

Jackson will never be an elite QB. He, ironically enough, is a system QB to my eye. So I will enjoy the media crowning him then being wrong as usual.

Ryan is like Goff. He's a second tier guy at best who needs pocket integrity to play at the top level. He may get that in the coming years but he'll never be an elite QB.

And I wouldn't be too quick to crown Herbert. He's a fine young QB and I do think his ceiling is very high but I don't think his ascent is a given by any means. QB is competitive man. Every year new blood coming in. Only the guys who want it the most get there to that elite range.
What about Lawrence? It is Jacksonville after all and although he seems can’t miss he has zero passes in the nfl.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What about Lawrence? It is Jacksonville after all and although he seems can’t miss he has zero passes in the nfl.
Lawrence is going to need some time just like Burrows. Probably feel him way more in year 2.

That said if ever there was a QB who would be a quick study for a Dan Marino type start as a rook it is Trevor Lawrence. But even if he starts off well defenses will eventually get to him with pre-snap misdirection and loaded A gaps with the zone blitz type elements. He's got a lot to learn this league is no joke nowadays defenses are way too specialized and can attack where you're weak.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I see this coming too.

It is set up that way, anyway.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck

These two groups will all make a run at the HOF. Matt Ryan probably the only outsider in these lists.

The new top of the mountain; Mahomes 26, Herbert 23, Josh Allen 25, L Jackson 24, Trevor Lawrence?

Crazy huh?
You forgot, In his prime;

Matt Stafford.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
What about Lawrence? It is Jacksonville after all

Yeah... Man... Jacksonville fees like a bad place to be drafted. That might be the last franchise on my desirability list.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If I'm the Bengals I would draft a wideout this year at the top (they're perfectly positioned to do that) and if they find a deep threat watch out. Their WR room is actually rather solid they just lack speed. And of course the protections but as Burrow matures he'll be able to mitigate that a bit IF he's good enough.

Ditto. Give Burrow weapons. That should be a priority.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I threw it out early last season, Josh Allen will be the guy for the next 10-15 yrs. If i'm choosing my QB today its Allen over everyone else.

Him & Mahomey will be dueling it out in the AFC ala Brady & Manning for a long time.

PARAM

Hall of Fame

Crazy huh?

I think it's a pretty safe bet Brady and Brees are HOFers. Another safe bet is Roethlisberger and Rodgers are too. Rivers and Ryan? I'd put them in but they're not as safe a bet as those other 4.

As far as Burrow, Herbert, Allen and Lawrence (LOL as he has yet to take an NFL snap) go, who knows what type of careers those guys will have?

Stafford can punch his ticket with some great seasons with the Rams. If he were just a Detroit Lion, he'd be in the same class as Rivers and Ryan......praying to get in.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The NFC future is far less clear IMO.

Rodgers is near the end, Brady too. Ryan is fading, Wilson is in his prime but unhappy, Stafford isn't young.
Prescott is the future? Cousins? Lol idk. The only other young guy who gets hype is Murray but he's got a ways to go to establish anything.
All the other young cats haven't shown enough. Hurts, Darnold? Nah.

The AFC QB future looks LOADED compared to the NFC.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah it happens and the next gen will come around. I remember similar thoughts in the mid 90's, when Elway, Montana, Young, Marino, Moon etc were all finishing up their careers and then Favre, Manning, Aikman, some grocery store guy lol came up and took the reigns. Would have thought Goff and Wentz were going to be a big part of the future a couple years back, maybe they still will.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The NFC future is far less clear IMO.

Rodgers is near the end, Brady too. Ryan is fading, Wilson is in his prime but unhappy, Stafford isn't young.
Prescott is the future? Cousins? Lol idk. The only other young guy who gets hype is Murray but he's got a ways to go to establish anything.
All the other young cats haven't shown enough. Hurts, Darnold? Nah.

The AFC QB future looks LOADED compared to the NFC.
Yeah NFC doesn't look as good. But Stafford is gonna be in a lot of playoff games with us and will have a lot to say about that.

Hopefully we win it all this year and then he gets three to four years on top of that of high end play in horns.