The Dak Prescott conundrum; what does an extension look like?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ling-to-give-the-cowboys-a-hometown-discount/

Dak Prescott talks contract, doesn't sound willing to give the Cowboys a hometown discount

If the Cowboys are hoping to get Dak Prescott's contract extension done at a discount price, they better think again, because it sounds like their star quarterback is going to be angling to squeeze every dollar possible out of them.

During a recent interview with USA Today, Prescott explained why he won't be offering the Cowboys a discount on his new contract, and basically, it comes down to the fact that NFL revenues keep going up, which means the salary cap keeps going up, which means the Cowboys can afford to pay him market price.

"For somebody to say you can only take so much because of the salary cap or you can only do this or that, I don't know how fair that is to say," Prescott said. "Because with gambling, with everything going into this league, everything is going to continue to keep going up."

As things currently stand, Prescott is headed into the final year of his rookie deal, which is scheduled to pay him just $2.025 million, making him a steal. If Prescott doesn't get a new deal soon, he'll go into the 2019 season with a lower salary than other quarterbacks like Brian Hoyer ($2.8 million), Nate Sudfeld($3.095 million) and Chase Daniel ($4 million).

Through the first three years of his career, Prescott only made a total of $1.62 million, so you can see why he wants to be paid at market price. According to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Prescott's camp "broached" a price point of $34 million per year, which is likely what their client will get.

Not only does Prescott want to see himself get a fair contract, but he also wants to see the Cowboys pay up when they work out new deals with Ezekiel Elliottand Amari Cooper.

Cooper is headed into the final year of his rookie deal while Elliott is currently under contract through 2020.

"It's important for all these guys to get every bit of their worth," Prescott said. "I want to see Zeke the highest-paid. I want to see Amari the highest-paid. I want to see myself up there. And I don't think any of that is too far-fetched. Because at the end of the day, when it's all said and done, a year or two later, you're not going to be the highest-paid. That's just the way the game goes."

With the salary cap going up considerably pretty much every year, Prescott believes there's enough money for everyone (Over the past five years alone, the cap has gone up a total of $55 million)

"I don't think it's fair to sit there and say, 'This guy can't get that because he needs the rest of the team,'" Prescott said. "The rest of the team can all get theirs with the way the league is trending."

As for Prescott's negotiations with the Cowboys, it sounds like both sides are taking things slowly.

"I mean, steps have to be made," Prescott said. "They're simple steps. For the most part, obviously you want to get closure and obviously you want to get it done, but the Cowboys probably feel the same way that I do: Nobody wants to take anything that's not fair to the other."

If the Cowboys are smart, they'll get Prescott under contract soon, and that's because if they don't, his price will likely go up. As former NFL agent Joel Corry pointed out recently, the Cowboys might have been able to get Prescott to sign a deal worth under $30 million per year if they had been able work out an extension before the Carson Wentz deal, but after watching Wentz get an extension worth $32 million per year, that's likely the minimum Prescott will be gunning for.

The Cowboys could cost themselves even more money if they let Jared Goffsign an extension before Prescott. If Goff were to land $33 or $34 million per year, Prescott's camp could aim to top that. The other upside to getting a deal done soon is that once Prescott is signed, the two sides don't have to worry about negotiations turning into a distraction at training camp.

Ram65

Legend
If Dak wants to move to the front of the line, it’s not likely to happen any time soon, if ever. The Cowboys could instead pay Prescott $2 million this year before embarking on a franchise-tag dance that would be in the range of $25 million in 2020 and $30 million in 2021.

That would be interesting to see. Draft a QB in 2020 to take over and save Millions $$$$$$$$

Actually, the target zone for the two sides should be that range of $25 million to $30 million. Accepting Jones’ implicit logic that Dak shouldn’t be paid like Rodgers and Wilson because they have Super Bowl wins, Prescott (who has a playoff win) should get more than Carr, Stafford, Garoppolo, and Cousins, because they have zero career playoff wins, combined.

Through the first three years of his career, Prescott only made a total of $1.62 million, so you can see why he wants to be paid at market price. According to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Prescott's camp "broached" a price point of $34 million per year, which is likely what their client will get.

Dak would have jumped at the 28-30 Million a year had they done it sooner. The Cowboys have been getting a bargain price for a good not great QB.

"I don't think it's fair to sit there and say, 'This guy can't get that because he needs the rest of the team,'" Prescott said. "The rest of the team can all get theirs with the way the league is trending."

You can't pay everyone top dollar Dak. I know he is speaking up for Elliot and Cooper but, there is a entire team to consider. He and Elliot need those guys up front to block. I don't know what's the point in talking about the money in the press. This will be interesting to see how it plays out.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I just hope they franchise him for a couple years or until Goff signs then break the bank paying him and the other two. Salary cap hell is where they belong. Sorry @Rynie

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

NFL Network's Jane Slater reports Dak Prescott is seeking $40 million annually.
That would make Prescott the highest paid quarterback in the league. Prescott has already turned down $30 million annually. It's not impossible Prescott resets the market, but it's hard to see him getting $5 million more than Russell Wilson's $35M AAV. The Cowboys have a considerable gap to close before Week 1.

SOURCE: Jane Slater on Twitter
Aug 12, 2019, 5:11 PM ET

hotanez

NRA Member for Life

That would make Prescott the highest paid quarterback in the league. Prescott has already turned down $30 million annually. It's not impossible Prescott resets the market, but it's hard to see him getting $5 million more than Russell Wilson's $35M AAV. The Cowboys have a considerable gap to close before Week 1.

I understand trying to get as much as you can but Dak is nuts. He's nowhere close to Wilson as a player.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I would never pay a running back that much money. Only QBs make that kind of cash in the NFL.

nighttrain

Legend

this rates a laugh, but the bad news, Goff is then worth 50 mil+
train

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

If I were the Cowboys owner fans would hate me. Because I'd fire the head coach, pay Zeke, and then trade Dak Prescott to the worst team I could find. Crazy right? Well my rationale... Their current Yes-Man head coach isn't gonna ever win anything. Dak is out of his goddamn mind if he wants $40M per. And Zeke is the offense.

The next offseason I would hire an elite offensive mind as the head coach, someone who could boil things down for the QB and get him ready to run an offense with heavy play action. Then use the higher pick and trade value from Dak to go get a QB early in the draft. Lastly I'd ensure I always have a stable of 3 QBs on that roster with one of them developing behind a backup who can run the offense if necessary.

LA_vision

Hall of Fame
If Zeke holds out, say even 6 games, it's going to be the best thing to happen for the Cowboys. Dak is going to get crushed when Ds sag and aren't sending 8 at the box.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter