The Dak Prescott conundrum; what does an extension look like?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/20/will-cowboys-dak-prescott-find-a-middle-ground/

Will Cowboys, Dak Prescott find a middle ground?

When Cowboys COO Stephen Jones recently tried to make the case for quarterback Dak Prescott not being paid like Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson, a reasonable reaction may have been this: Does Dak Prescott actually want to be paid like Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson?

Maybe Dak does. After all, the recent elephant walk of quarterback contracts starting with Andrew Luck has resulted in the next guy one-upping the last guy, over and over again from Luck ($24.6 million) to Derek Carr ($25 million) to Matthew Stafford ($27 million) to Jimmy Garoppolo ($27.5 million) to Kirk Cousins ($28 million) to Matt Ryan ($30 million) to Rodgers ($33.5 million) to Wilson ($35 million).

If Dak wants to move to the front of the line, it’s not likely to happen any time soon, if ever. The Cowboys could instead pay Prescott $2 million this year before embarking on a franchise-tag dance that would be in the range of $25 million in 2020 and $30 million in 2021.

Actually, the target zone for the two sides should be that range of $25 million to $30 million. Accepting Jones’ implicit logic that Dak shouldn’t be paid like Rodgers and Wilson because they have Super Bowl wins, Prescott (who has a playoff win) should get more than Carr, Stafford, Garoppolo, and Cousins, because they have zero career playoff wins, combined.

If Prescott is willing to hold firm for $30 million or more, that could be a problem — especially if he’s also willing to go year to year. Come 2022, the Cowboys would be looking at a franchise tender north of $43 million, and that could be the point where Dak hits the open market.

It’s fair to ask what Dak would get if he were on the open market. Maybe the best play for the Cowboys would be to not tag Dak, to let him see what else is out there (or not out there), and then make a competitive offer. Given the endorsement money that Prescott can earn as the quarterback of America’s Team, he’d quite possibly realize after getting a glimpse of what’s behind Door No. 2 that remaining QB1 in Dallas makes the most sense.

Dak Prescott Career Stats:
http://www.nfl.com/player/dakprescott/2555260/careerstats

https://www.forbes.com/sites/barryh...k-prescott-get-from-the-cowboys/#7e9d45ed6c72

After Russell Wilson Contract, How Many Millions Will Dak Prescott Get From Cowboys?

The No. 1 sport in Dallas-Fort Worth these days is guessing how much Dak Prescott’s second contract with the Cowboys will be worth. It’s a bigger Texas story than the NHL Stars return to the Stanley Cup playoffs, the Texas Rangers better than expected start this MLB season and Dirk Nowitzki’s retirement from a sainted Dallas Mavericks career.

Now it’s been stoked by this week's news that Russell Wilson has a new four-year, $140-million deal with the Seattle Seahawks.

Not that quarterback Prescott is quarterback Wilson, who is one for two in Super Bowls. Prescott has yet to lead his team past the divisional round. But Wilson is now the highest paid quarterback in the game at $35 million per season. How much less is Prescott, 25, worth than the 30-year-old Wilson?

Before you answer recall that Jimmy Garoppolo is signed to earn $27.5 million for the San Francisco 49ers and Derek Carr is down for $25 million to quarterback the Oakland Raiders.

Surely, Prescott can be penciled in somewhere between Garoppolo and Wilson.

Stephen Jones, the Cowboys lead negotiator, pulled the old salary cap card the other day when he mentioned that Prescott should be mindful of how much money he gets because that could detract from future money available for his teammates. Hence he could be forced to play with a lesser supporting cast. Jones tried that in negotiations with defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence earlier this month. Lawrence pointed out that his first loyalty was to himself and, if need be, Jones needed to be more creative in his dealings with others. Both Jones and Lawrence had a good laugh in discussing the ploy after Lawrence became the highest paid Cowboy in history, if only for a moment, with a deal worth just under $22 million a year.

"At the end of the day, they're going to make a lot of money,'' Jones told a local radio station, referring to the current class of NFL starting quarterbacks. "The bigger thing for them in terms of their career and what they're all about is how much did they win; How many Super Bowl rings do they have on their fingers? Those are all huge deals. They know at some point if they take out too much cap space at the end of the day it could hurt their chances in terms of winning."

That’s Stephen Jones doing his job.

That’s Prescott’s agent smirking in the background.

For what it is worth: Lawrence and Prescott have proven to be squeaky clean team leaders for a franchise that has its share of highly-publicized problem players.

Prescott, disappointed to be a fourth-round pick in 2016, has led the Cowboys to a 32-16 record in his first three seasons, two NFC East titles and posted 14 game-winning drives, most in NFL history for a quarterback with three seasons in the game.

Prescott is scheduled to make a smidge more than $2 million in 2019. That’s under his four-year rookie contract. But the Cowboys have been insistent that they want to sign him long-term to a new deal. During the 2018 season, owner Jerry Jones may have made a negotiating faux pax when said he would not trade Prescott for a pair of No. 1 picks even if one of them was the top pick in the draft.

That was probably Prescott's agent smiling between pecks at his calculator.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I really hope Jared Goff is smart enough to take a contract a bit lower than the elites, in order to allow for a team around him that is a little bit deeper and talented. Granted, it's hard to sit back and judge a guy for taking what he can. But being smart enough as a young kid to realize what really matters isn't 15-20% or so more a year but rather your longevity and what you do on the field. Either way he's going to be set for life.

And I might be naive but I suspect that if a QB is smart enough beyond his years to do that it's Goff. He's just one well raised and grounded kid.

Ram65

Legend
Maybe Dak does. After all, the recent elephant walk of quarterback contracts starting with Andrew Luck has resulted in the next guy one-upping the last guy, over and over again from Luck ($24.6 million) to Derek Carr ($25 million) to Matthew Stafford ($27 million) to Jimmy Garoppolo ($27.5 million) to Kirk Cousins ($28 million) to Matt Ryan ($30 million) to Rodgers ($33.5 million) to Wilson ($35 million).

Actually, the target zone for the two sides should be that range of $25 million to $30 million. Accepting Jones’ implicit logic that Dak shouldn’t be paid like Rodgers and Wilson because they have Super Bowl wins, Prescott (who has a playoff win) should get more than Carr, Stafford, Garoppolo, and Cousins, because they have zero career playoff wins, combined.

Winning one home playoff game should not be a big deal. Prescott didn't play well most of the game IIRC.

Amazing how the money keeps going up for each QB. Garoppolo didn't do much to get his money. I guess Dak gets a little bit more. At some point lesser QBs should get less than the best ones. No way he should get close to Rogers and Wilson.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Makes me nervous for extending Goff. Reasonably, in 2021, his contract should be about $33M/yr or about 17% of the team's cap.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I wonder how Cowboy fans feel about it? Prescott was pretty much middle of the pack in most passing stats. Nothing about his game jumps out at you and says he can win a Superbowl. He'll need a good effort from everyone around him on offense and defense. But they could do worse I suppose. If he can manage the game they can win with the defense and weapons around him.

I know fans can be homers. We're guilty of that with our players. But I'm amazed how 49er fans are so enamored with Jimmy GQ. Before last season, many of them felt he's a sure fire Hall of Famer and best in the league. I think some of them came back down to earth with his 3 games last season. But there are still a number of them who still think he's a top 5 quarterback. I personally did not see it when I watched him. Another middle of the pack guy in my opinion.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...s-he-and-dak-prescott-have-natural-chemistry/

Amari Cooper says he and Dak Prescott have “natural chemistry”

Dallas traded its first-round choice to the Raiders for Cooper, who caught 53 passes for 725 yards and six touchdowns in nine games last season. Dak Prescott averaged 7.71 yards per attempt with Cooper after averaging 6.88 yards per attempt in the first seven games last season.

“I feel like the only way to go is up with me and Dak,” Cooper said, via Jon Machota of the Dallas Morning News. “We just have a natural chemistry. That’s rare, because you can’t just combine two players, a receiver and a quarterback, and say, ‘Hey, just go out there and have a good game.’ It takes the quarterback and the receiver, their skill-set has to match, and it just happened like that.”

After 11 games together last season, including the postseason, plus an offseason of work, Cooper expects even bigger things in 2019.

“We’ve been practicing. We’ve been throwing,” Cooper said. “I know him a lot more. I know how he likes to throw the ball. He knows how I like to run my routes. I feel like we’re getting better.”

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...s-he-and-dak-prescott-have-natural-chemistry/

Amari Cooper says he and Dak Prescott have “natural chemistry”

Dallas traded its first-round choice to the Raiders for Cooper, who caught 53 passes for 725 yards and six touchdowns in nine games last season. Dak Prescott averaged 7.71 yards per attempt with Cooper after averaging 6.88 yards per attempt in the first seven games last season.

“I feel like the only way to go is up with me and Dak,” Cooper said, via Jon Machota of the Dallas Morning News. “We just have a natural chemistry. That’s rare, because you can’t just combine two players, a receiver and a quarterback, and say, ‘Hey, just go out there and have a good game.’ It takes the quarterback and the receiver, their skill-set has to match, and it just happened like that.”

After 11 games together last season, including the postseason, plus an offseason of work, Cooper expects even bigger things in 2019.

“We’ve been practicing. We’ve been throwing,” Cooper said. “I know him a lot more. I know how he likes to throw the ball. He knows how I like to run my routes. I feel like we’re getting better.”

Yeah, I don’t know... I am glad it’s not our Rams that have to wrestle with the contracts of Prescott and Cooper.

Good enough to be in the discussion for big contracts. But not quite at the level of those elite contracts or -at least- enough to make you nervous. Particularly Cooper. He’s one season removed from wildly inconsistent play in Oakland.

Good luck with that, Dallas.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I don't see Dak as an elite QB in this league so I can't see him breaking the bank in Dallas. If he does, it'll mean curtains if he handcuffs their cap. Smart QBs will take less so the team can keep his blindside clean. Longevity and winning is where it's at for today's QBs. You take less, gain respect from your teammates, win, and keep the cash flowing and play 15+ years. Once you win, you get plenty of endorsements that can dwarf your contract numbers. Don't be greedy up front.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Glad these are not our players. Zeke is good, but as we know... a high risk position.

The other two; they will be overpaid.

——

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...wboys-confident-about-signing-zeke-dak-amari/

Though challenging, Cowboys confident about signing Zeke, Dak, Amari

The contracts of receiver Amari Cooper and quarterback Dak Prescott will expire after this season. Running back Ezekiel Elliott is under contract through 2020 after the Cowboys exercised the fifth-year option on his deal.

The Cowboys, though, hope to extend all three players sooner than later, with executive vice president Stephen Jones saying the team is “off and running” in contract talks.

“It’s a great problem to have, because we do have good young football players,” Jones said. “But it’s a challenge.”

The Cowboys got a long-term deal completed with defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence that made him (temporarily) the highest-paid player in team history. Cooper, Prescott and Elliott have combined for seven Pro Bowls and all are looking at deals that will make them among the highest-paid at their positions.

Jones isn’t worried about there being enough money to go around, though he added that the deals need to be team friendly for the Cowboys to have salary-cap room that will allow them to contend. The more successful the Cowboys are, Jones said, the more money players can make off the field in endorsements.

Prescott, a fourth-round pick, has made more off the field than he has in his NFL contract thus far.

“Obviously, I feel very good that we’re going easily work through – when I say easily, that’s a bad word to use – but we’re going to strategically work through getting guys like Dak and Amari and Zeke done,” Jones said. “I think we can still do others. It’s not like we’re going not be able to get that accomplished. But at the same time, as I told DeMarcus Lawrence — and I’ll tell all three of these guys – I’d love for you to max out and give you exactly what you want, because y’all have worked hard and you deserve to have a big contract, but if we want to put together the type of team we want to have with the Cowboys [then there has to be some give and take]. That’s not their job. It’s not their job to manage the cap. I understand that. But it is my job and Jerry [Jones’] job, so they will understand why we’re negotiating hard to make the very best deal we can, because the money, if we can talk them into not maxing out – doing well, but not maxed – then that allows us to have other good football players around them.

“We all know what happens. You look at the TV booths, and you look at what these players do off the field. If we can put Super Bowl rings on these guys, then they’ll be legends around this area for many, many, many years to come. What they give up a little bit in their contract, they should be able to invest in being a Cowboy and making our teams better. Now, we’ve got to go get the job done as an organization, which means winning Super Bowls and doing great things on the field.”

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was thinking 100 million/10 year gtd...

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
God, I can't wait to pay this dude that couldn't even get us a single FG in 7 qtrs because his RB was suspended. He deserves 1 Billion dolllllllars!!

QB salaries just keep going up and up, but the level of QB play coming out of college just keeps going DOWN and DOWN.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Can’t watch it

Idiots

Only a moron lets a Super Bowl QB walk

Imbeciles

Did they say Watson and Mayfield? Craziness. Who would you acquire that you would feel could get the team deep in the playoffs?
Watson and Mayfield were high picks so do the Rams have to move up to take a qb high for this to work.
Think about this years qbs: Kyler, Haskins, Jones, Lock, Grier, it wouldn’t surprise me if it takes 2 or 3 years for any of em show.
I guess it’s possible though, but look at SB qbs, a lot of older guys with experience.