The Case for Overpaying for QBs in NFL Draft Trades

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/10/26/16550408/carson-wentz-jared-goff-quarterback-draft-trades

The Case for Overpaying for QBs in NFL Draft Trades
The Eagles gambled their future to get the chance to pick Carson Wentz. His success begs the question: Does it make sense for a team to bet it all to take a star quarterback?
BY RODGER SHERMAN

trade_up_draft_QBs_getty_ringer.0.jpg

Getty Images/Ringer illustration

It’s starting to look like I need to cop to being wrong about Carson Wentz.

In 2017, Wentz hasn’t just been good—he’s been one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL. He continued his breakthrough campaign by turning in a brilliant performance in a 34-24 win over Washington on Monday Night Football, going 17-of-25 passing for 268 yards with four scores while pushing the Eagles to a league-best 6-1 record.

He leads the NFL in touchdown passes (17) and has thrown just four interceptions; he’s fourth in yards per attempt (8.0) and passer rating (104.0). There is serious Wentz-as-MVP talk. The Wentz Wagon is so full that if you tried to try to float it across the river in Oregon Trail, this would happen.

I must confess: I doubted Carson Wentz. I am a longtime North Dakota State football aficionado, and I always felt like Wentz’s Bison won national championships because every one of their players was better than every one of their opponent’s players, not because they had exceptional play at quarterback.

Sure, the Bison won titles with Wentz, but they also won titles with his predecessor, Brock Jensen, and went 8-0 with his backup, Easton Stick (not a piece of hockey equipment), when Wentz got injured during his senior year. I didn’t see why Wentz caused so much fuss, unlike all of the other quarterbacks who played and won at NDSU.

865584126.jpg

Photo by Abbie Parr/Getty Images

But it wasn’t just that I didn’t think Wentz would be great: I thought that Philadelphia’s front office was foolish to take him second overall, directly ahead of Joey Bosa, Ezekiel Elliott, and Jalen Ramsey. And the Eagles didn’t just take Wentz second overall: They traded the Browns a slew of draft picks to acquire the rights to the no. 2 pick that they used on Wentz, and most analysts at the time agreed that Philly paid too steep a price.

According to the draft value chart created by Football Perspective, the Eagles would have made a roughly fair deal if they had sent the Browns their first-, third-, and fourth-round 2016 draft picks in exchange for the package headlined by the no. 2 selection they used on Wentz. Philly did that—but also included a 2017 first-round pick and a 2018 second-rounder. That made the trade a rip-off, per projections.

I’ve long subscribed to the Belichickian mind-set that a team is better served by having more draft picks than by having a single high draft pick. The logic is twofold. The first part is that for as good as scouts are, drafting is a crapshoot. Players can get injured, have off-the-field problems, or—sit down for this one—simply fail to become as effective as scouts expected.

You’re better off buying five lottery tickets than one really good lottery ticket. The second part comes down to basic roster math: A team needs 22 combined starters on offense and defense; if three are stars and 19 are replacement level, a team will be bad. A franchise can’t afford to routinely overspend.

The Eagles gave up valuable picks to select Wentz over soon-to-be elite NFL players. And it worked! A year and a half later, Philly is in first place in the NFC East largely because it made the Wentz deal. In the past, I’ve made the case that the Wentz trade was irrational. But perhaps his success shows that NFL teams can be warranted in acting irrationally about quarterbacks.

Let’s take a look at every draft trade made so that a team could select a quarterback in the top five over the last 20 years. (Some of the picks involved in these trades were later sent to another team; those picks are denoted with an asterisk.)

1998: The Chargers get no. 2 overall pick (Ryan Leaf) from the Cardinals for 1998 no. 3 pick (Andre Wadsworth), 1998 no. 33 pick (Corey Chavous), 1999 no. 8 pick (David Boston), Eric Metcalf, and Patrick Sapp

Obviously, we’re off to a bad start. Ryan Leaf was among the bustiest busts in bust history. Leaf would have been an awful no. 2 pick regardless of whether a trade was made. While Wadsworth’s career was brief and injury-riddled, that doesn’t make it better that the Chargers paid a lot to set their franchise backward.

2001: Falcons get no. 1 overall pick (Michael Vick) from the Chargers for 2001 no. 5 pick (LaDainian Tomlinson), 2001 no. 67 pick (Tay Cody), 2002 no. 48 pick (Reche Caldwell), and Tim Dwight

The Chargers went 1-15 just three seasons after taking Leaf, and—apparently taking a lesson from that debacle—decided to let another team pay heavily to pick a quarterback. It’s tough to say who won this trade, since both teams landed players who could be considered the most iconic in franchise history. Tomlinson was named the 2006 MVP; Vick was a four-time Pro Bowler who carried the team to the NFC title game after the 2004 campaign.

2004: Giants get no. 1 overall pick (Eli Manning) from the Chargers for 2004 no. 4 pick (Philip Rivers), 2004 no. 65 pick (Nate Kaeding), and 2005 no. 12 pick (Shawne Merriman), and 2005 no. 144 (Jerome Collins)*

The Chargers decided they weren’t leaving without a quarterback this time. And statistically speaking, Rivers has been slightly better than Manning over the course of their careers: Rivers has a higher touchdown percentage (5.3 to 4.7), a lower interception percentage (2.6 to 3.1), a higher average yards per attempt (7.7 to 7.0), a much better completion percentage (64.3 to 59.8), and, for the crowd that thinks QB wins are important, a higher winning percentage (54.6 to 52.9).

The Chargers got Rivers and an All-Pro defender and a kicker who retired as one of the most accurate in NFL history. (You’re damn right I’m including a kicker as an asset. Fight me.) Of course, Manning has won two Super Bowls, so pretty much every Giants fan will argue that this trade was a huge success.

2009: Jets get no. 5 overall pick (Mark Sanchez) from the Browns for no. 17 pick (Josh Freeman)*, no. 52 pick (David Veikune), Kenyon Coleman, Abram Elam, and Brett Ratliff

Sanchez was not the quarterback the Jets hoped he’d be, but this trade still wasn’t so awful. The 2009 draft class was bad, producing just one future Pro Bowler (Matt Stafford, the first overall pick) and two unmitigated busts (Jason Smith and Aaron Curry) in the top five picks. Laugh at Sanchez all you want, but he’s the only quarterback other than Stafford from this draft class who is still in the league.

The Jets also didn’t lose many key assets in this swap: They could afford to give up parts from a defense that was still good enough to carry the team to the 2009 and 2010 AFC title games.

2012: Redskins get no. 2 overall pick (Robert Griffin III) from the Rams for 2012 no. 6 pick (Morris Claiborne)*, 2012 no. 39 pick (Janoris Jenkins), 2013 no. 22 pick (Desmond Trufant)*, and 2014 no. 2 pick (Greg Robinson)

This trade has been roundly panned. Griffin flamed out of the NFL, while the four picks that Washington gave up turned into three solid players and Greg Robinson. The Rams notably flaunted their victory in this trade by making the six players acquired with picks from the Griffin trade (or picks acquired with picks from the Griffin trade) captains for the team’s 2014 game against Washington.

But was this really a bad deal? Griffin was a can’t-miss talent who had an exceptional rookie campaign before injuries wrecked his career. While the Rams acquired a haul of steady players in return, the Redskins had more success in that one dazzling Griffin season—primarily because of Griffin’s play—than the Rams have had in any season since making this trade.

2016: Rams get no. 1 overall pick (Jared Goff), no. 113 pick (Nick Kwiatkoski)* and no. 177 pick (Temarrick Hemingway) from the Titans for 2016 no. 15 pick (Corey Coleman)*, 2016 no. 43 pick (Austin Johnson), 2016 no. 45 pick (Derrick Henry), 2016 no. 76 pick (Shon Coleman), 2017 no. 5 pick (Corey Davis), and 2017 no. 100 pick (Jonnu Smith)

The early read on this was that the Rams messed up massively. Goff looked hideous as a rookie and was labeled as an instant bust. But he’s made major strides in his second season, throwing for 1,719 yards with nine touchdowns and four interceptions while leading Los Angeles to a 5-2 start.

He still doesn’t seem to be worth the hefty package that the Rams gave up to grab him—I mean, come on, the Rams gave up two Colemans and two wide receivers named Corey. But Goff has potential. He seems to be jelling with first-year head coach Sean McVay, and the Rams already had running back Todd Gurley and a defense that can maul. Quarterback was the missing piece, and Goff looks like he could turn out to be a good one.

2016: Eagles get no. 2 overall pick (Carson Wentz) and 2017 no. 139 pick (Jehu Chesson)* from the Browns for 2016 no. 8 pick (Jack Conklin)*, 2016 no. 77 pick (Daryl Worley)*, 2016 no. 100 pick (Connor Cook)*, 2017 no. 12 pick (Deshaun Watson)*, and 2018 second-round pick

We’ve already talked about the Eagles, so here’s a comical sidenote: The Browns didn’t keep any of the players taken with the five draft picks they got from Philadelphia. Trading down can be a good thing—perhaps the Browns can be good one day if they ever decide to field a football team instead of building a museum-worthy collection of future picks.

2017: Bears get no. 2 overall pick (Mitchell Trubisky) from the 49ers for 2017 no. 3 pick (Solomon Thomas), 2017 no. 67 pick (Alvin Kamara)*, 2017 no. 111 pick (Tedric Thompson)*, and a 2018 third-round pick

Bears head coach John Fox isn’t really letting Trubisky throw yet, which might be a bad sign for Chicago’s future. But it’s definitely too early to offer judgment on this move. That said, two third-rounders and a fourth-rounder were a lot to part with to move up a single spot, especially considering that San Francisco reportedly wasn’t interested in taking Trubisky anyway.

It’s tough to glean any definitive takeaway from those trades: The Leaf deal was a disaster; the Manning and Vick deals delivered their teams franchise players at high costs; the Sanchez deal feels like a wash; the Griffin deal leaves a complicated legacy; and the other three deals are too recent to call.

The only trend I’d note is that teams are making trades to move into the top five and select quarterbacks with increasing frequency—it’s happened three times in the past two years alone—and these moves don’t seem as lopsided as I would’ve guessed at first blush.

Meanwhile, here is a complete list of non-quarterbacks who were targeted and taken with top-five picks acquired via trades over the last 20 drafts: wide receiver Sammy Watkins, defensive end Dion Jordan, wide receiver Justin Blackmon, running back Trent Richardson, defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson, offensive tackle Chris Samuels, and running back Ricky Williams.

(The Ricky Williams trade is the only transaction I’ve seen that has its own Wikipedia page, if you want to know how bad it was.) Many of these players turned out to be busts, and I think it’s fair to say that none were worth the massive premiums that front offices paid for the right to select them.

No team should give up a bushel of picks for a sought-after running back or receiver. That’s not worth it. But a great quarterback can be the difference between a successful and irrelevant franchise.

Our understanding of value has to be different for quarterbacks, because the value of quarterbacks surpasses anything else that other players can provide. Yes, the potential for a bust is high with these trades. Yet a team isn’t going to win without a good QB. If a player looks like a true game-changer, isn’t a risk worth it?

I’ve had a change of heart. Football deserves the intense analytical scrutiny it gets in 2017—it’s multifaceted and fascinating. But if Carson Wentz has taught me anything, it’s that the outsize importance of the quarterback position deserves a little lunacy.

Psycho_X

Legend
Without reading the article... if the QB turns out to be good than absofuckinglutely. Don't tell me any team in the league without a good QB or with one in their mid to late 30s wouldn't trade two years of drafts for Wentz, Goff, Prescott, etc. Every other position isn't worth it. Teams live and die by their QB 99% of the time.

Edit: Ok just read.... is this true already one year later? "The Browns didn’t keep any of the players taken with the five draft picks they got from Philadelphia"?

If it is, holy shit the Browns are even worse than I thought they were. Jesus.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I concur and the trade the Eagles made for Wentz is a shining example, why that team has continued to win consistently for years, they have not won a Super Bowl, but I bet they have one of the better records since Jeffrey Luire has been their owner and this could be their year where they win the whole thing.

As to the Rams trade again it was the right move at the right time, the Rams were stuck in QB Purgatory for years and they felt Goff was their man, so they traded up to do so and I agree. Now yes, sometimes you get a Russell Wilson or Dak Prescott and if you happen to lose many games, then you don't have to move up the draft, but if you identify that somebody is your man and you have the ammunition to do so and a trading partner too (Titans had drafted Mariota) then you pull the trigger.

Now let's give VP Kevin Demoff & Owner Enos Stanley Kroenke credit (even though Bernie Miklasz won't) with hiring the right Head Coach to harness Goff's talent combined with McVay bringing in chief lieutenants in Matt LaFleur & Greg Olsen to turn things around and OL Coach Aaron Kromer making a major contribution as well.

So in essence, if you really believe that your guy is there, you make the move. Rick Speilman did that via a trade in Minnesota, now Bradford has proven how difficult it is to come back from tearing your ACL on the same knee, but he's given the Vikings some great moments and it was well worth the trade IMHO. So yes you make the deal, but if that QB is not up to the task, it does take you a few years to recover, but make the deal, if you really believe in the guy and a trade partner exists because the Cleveland Browns are a shining example of not making a trade as they could have easily trumped the Rams trade to ensure they drafted Goff, who obviously was their guy, but compounded their mistake trading with the Eagles and passing on Carson Wentz, all those picks that many posters love to post about (trade back, trade back) and as of right now not a damn win to show for it.

Last edited:

Bootleg

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm just an armchair coach so I don't really know anything, but in my humble opinion I side more with the "Belechickian" approach of stocking quality mid round draft picks instead of trading them for the high round quarterback pick.

I love Goff and I think he's going to be a star, but I also think the Rams would be 5-2 with Keenum at the helm this year as well. The Vikings are. I think the Rams would be fine with Mannion starting too. I just think it comes down to offensive scheme and coaching -- designing plays that catch the defense off balance -- making them defend every blade of grass. The Patriots still won even when Brady was suspended because their system is so good. Also McVay, with his system, turned mid round pick Cousins into a star.

For every successful high pick quarterback, there are also successful mid/late round picks like Brady, Cousins, and Prescott. Sure there are outliers like Wentz, a quarterback who can carry a team, but I think you have a better chance of building a winning team by stocking up on solid, dependable players who can execute and placing them in a system that emphasizes their strengths. I believe the old cliche that a "team is only as good as it's worst player."

That said I'm glad we have Goff and elated we have McVay.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm just an armchair coach so I don't really know anything, but in my humble opinion I side more with the "Belechickian" approach of stocking quality mid round draft picks instead of trading them for the high round quarterback pick.

Let's keep in mind the reason that the Patriots have the luxury of taking that approach is they have their QB in Tom Brady. Many QB's have come and gone since him, but you can take that approach when you have a stud as your field general, if not Brady, then IMO, Beliechick would have traded up, if he truly believed in somebody, I have no doubt. Again everybody thinks it's great to trade back and add picks, but sometimes that works against you.

Good example is the Rams in 2012 that sitting in the 2nd round would of had their choice of LB's Bobby Wagner or Mychal Kendricks, so because two of them were still sitting there, traded down to receive an extra 4th round pick and to sit there only to watch the Eagles select Hendricks & the Seahawks select Wagner and the Rams ended up with Isiah Pead instead and the extra pick was not worth passing on those two, so many people love to post about trading back, but if you do that and miss out on your targets, you better have a plan B and not a plan Pead.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
2016: Rams get no. 1 overall pick (Jared Goff), no. 113 pick (Nick Kwiatkoski)* and no. 177 pick (Temarrick Hemingway) from the Titans for 2016 no. 15 pick (Corey Coleman)*, 2016 no. 43 pick (Austin Johnson), 2016 no. 45 pick (Derrick Henry), 2016 no. 76 pick (Shon Coleman), 2017 no. 5 pick (Corey Davis), and 2017 no. 100 pick (Jonnu Smith)

The early read on this was that the Rams messed up massively. Goff looked hideous as a rookie and was labeled as an instant bust. But he’s made major strides in his second season, throwing for 1,719 yards with nine touchdowns and four interceptions while leading Los Angeles to a 5-2 start.

He still doesn’t seem to be worth the hefty package that the Rams gave up to grab him—I mean, come on, the Rams gave up two Colemans and two wide receivers named Corey. But Goff has potential. He seems to be jelling with first-year head coach Sean McVay, and the Rams already had running back Todd Gurley and a defense that can maul. Quarterback was the missing piece, and Goff looks like he could turn out to be a good one.

I've always believed that draft picks are overvalued in these trades. IF you get a guy who plays QB for you for the next 15 seasons, what is that worth? A lot more than a couple high picks IMO. And the Browns are demonstrating what happens when you don't have a QB; they have a strong offensive coach and all manner of picks and it doesn't matter.

Secondly, when we ask the question "what is a hit on a first round pick," the answer will change person to person and probably team to team. Getting a solid starter isn't necessarily a "hit" on a round one pick in my book. Why? Because it's playmakers who make the difference in this league, and the best place to get them is round one. So the question of how many teams really hit on the round one picks is an interesting one to me in that light, leading me to think that in a lot of these blockbuster trades the team that goes after one player like that probably has a higher chance of hitting than the average team that gets the returns.

And of course if you miss on the QB you lose. But even then I disregard the commonly accepted logic that you set your franchise back years when that happens. Teams can be built without the round one picks.

So back to Goff, it was very shrewd of the Rams to trade up and solve their QB problems. Not just because they hit on Jared, but because it's a smart play IMO if you don't have a QB and you believe one is there that you can build around. I don't even think the term "overpaying" is accurate, should be "paying the price to get a QB."

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
Hard to get a top NFL QB unless he is drafted. The trade is worth it.
There are many lists out there and grabbed this from SI which listed top 21 QBs https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/10/18/nfl-quarterbacks-qb-rankings

Brady, Stafford, Ryan, Brees, Big Ben, Wentz, Newton, Carr, Manning, Alex Smith, Winston, Cousins, Rivers, Wilson, Dak, Palmer, Mariota, Dalton, Flacco, Deshaun Watson and Goff.

Unless I am missing someone, all but 3 (Brees, Alex Smith and Palmer) were drafted by their current team.

It is hard to get a top QB unless it is in the draft.
2 out of 3 were round one picks (Brady, Brees, Carr, Cousins, Wilson, Dak and Dalton the exceptions).
10 were either picked 1 or 2 (Stafford, Wentz, Newton, Manning, Smith, Winston, Mariota and Goff), Ryan was a third and Rivers a 4th overall pick.

You need a top QB to compete in the NFL.
The trade is worth it if the QB is good. Have to do it every time.

Even though the Rams fleeced the Redskins, as stated the Rams did not get a sniff at the playoffs yet while the Redskins made the playoffs in RGIII's only healthy year.

Ram65

Legend
Without reading the article... if the QB turns out to be good than absofuckinglutely. Don't tell me any team in the league without a good QB or with one in their mid to late 30s wouldn't trade two years of drafts for Wentz, Goff, Prescott, etc. Every other position isn't worth it. Teams live and die by their QB 99% of the time.

Edit: Ok just read.... is this true already one year later? "The Browns didn’t keep any of the players taken with the five draft picks they got from Philadelphia"?

If it is, holy crap the Browns are even worse than I thought they were. Jesus.

So in essence, if you really believe that your guy is there, you make the move. Rick Speilman did that via a trade in Minnesota, now Bradford has proven how difficult it is to come back from tearing your ACL on the same knee, but he's given the Vikings some great moments and it was well worth the trade IMHO. So yes you make the deal, but if that QB is not up to the task, it does take you a few years to recover, but make the deal, if you really believe in the guy and a trade partner exists because the Cleveland Browns are a shining example of not making a trade as they could have easily trumped the Rams trade to ensure they drafted Goff, who obviously was their guy, but compounded their mistake trading with the Eagles and passing on Carson Wentz, all those picks that many posters love to post about (trade back, trade back) and as of right now not a damn win to show for it.

We have Cleveland Browns theme here on what not to do. The Browns have been in limbo seemingly forever due to not having a quarterback of a franchise nature. They really blew it by not getting either Goff or Wentz when they had the chance. Wentz seemed like a perfect fit for the Browns like he is for the Eagles. Wow they blew the picks they got for trading down with the Eagles.

It is nearly impossible to win the Super Bowl with an average QB. Joe Flacco an average or a little above QB got hot at the right time for the Ravens to win in 2013. If the opportunity is there you have to try to get the QB that can get you in the talk for a Super Bowl. The problem is identifying when to do it based on the QB you believe in. The Rams were not going anywhere without getting their offense up to NFL standard in 2016. They had extra picks and already had a solid defense and a couple players on offense. They took a solid calculated risk trading up for Goff. It didn't work out right away but, now one year later is showing dividends. They hired an offensive QB head coach who along with Goff worked at getting the offense right. Goff's play, play calling and leadership have been a big part of the turnaround. The Rams made sure to help their investment by adding talented offensive free agents and draft picks.

The Eagles made an unexpected move to get Wentz. I'll say this right now. Every week this year he is getting better and better. Howie Roseman the mild manner GM/Personnel Director has been questioned on many moves he has made including trading up for Wentz.. Now, the Eagles are being a Super Bowl favorite. The price for Wentz seems small compared to the results so far. The Eagles went from Foles to Bradford to Wentz and were able to still build a team after parting ways with much maligned head coach Chip Kelly. A complete fast turnaround with Wentz as the centerpiece leading the way.

It does not always work out when moving up to draft a hopeful franchise QB. In these two situations is looking very promising. Where would these teams be if they hadn't made the move? Sometimes teams get lucky and can find a Tom Brady or Dac Prescott later in the draft. Some teams are in the right position to draft a QB like Big Ben or A Rodgers later int the first round. Some teams are like the Browns unable to make the right decision even if he is staring them right in the face.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
running back Trent Richardson

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/28/trent-richardson-runs-wild-in-the-cfl/

Trent Richardson runs wild in the CFL
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 28, 2017

ap_17301208784328-e1509206682567.jpg

AP

Trent Richardson has arrived, in Canada.

Richardson, the former Alabama star turned Browns and Colts bust, had a huge game in the Canadian Football League on Friday night, carrying 20 times for 127 yards and two touchdowns in leading the Saskatchewan Roughriders to a 37-12 win over the Montreal Alouettes. Richardson signed with the CFL because he wanted to show that he’s in shape and capable of playing at a high level, and he said after the game he thinks he’s done just that.

“It just pays off from hard work being in the Warehouse down in Birmingham, ” Richardson told TSN. “You know, fighting for my kids and fighting for myself.”

Richardson’s 127 yards were more than he ever had in an NFL game, and the most he’s had in any football game since he ran for 203 yards against Auburn in 2011. Saskatchewan is 3-1 since signing Richardson and has now clinched a spot in the playoffs.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Taking a QB and paying huge bucks is a huge gamble nowadays any way you look at it.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
the Browns didn’t keep any of the players taken with the five draft picks they got from Philadelphia.

that's simply not true. so i looked up what they did get.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/04/the_carson_wentz_trade_tracker.html

Breaking down the 2016 deal
Here’s a look at what each team got in the trade:

Browns got

2016 first-round pick (No. 8)

2016 third-round pick (No. 77)

2016 fourth-round pick (No. 100)

2017 first-round pick (No. 12)

2018 second-round pick (TBD)

Eagles got

2016 first-round pick (No. 2, Carson Wentz, QB)

2017 fourth-round pick (No. 139, traded to Vikings for No. 132, Donnell Pumphrey, RB)

And below is a breakdown of what the Browns have done with the picks it received in the trade with the Eagles.

2016 first-round pick (No. 8): Traded to Titans
Browns got

2016 first-round pick (No. 15, Corey Coleman, WR)

2016 third-round pick (No. 76, Shon Coleman, OL)

2017 second-round pick (No. 52, DeShone Kizer, QB)

Titans got

2016 first-round pick (No. 8, Jack Conklin, OL)

2016 sixth-round pick (No. 176, Andy Janovich, FB)

2016 third round (No. 77): Traded to Panthers
Browns got

2016 third-round pick (No. 93, Cody Kessler, QB)

2016 fourth-round pick (No. 129, Derrick Kindred, S)

2016 fifth-round pick (No. 168, Spencer Drango, OL)

Panthers got

2016 third-round pick (No. 77, Daryl Worley, CB)

2016 fifth-round pick (No. 141, Zack Sanchez, CB)

2016 fourth-round pick (No. 100): Traded to Raiders
Browns got

2016 fourth-round pick (No. 114, Ricardo Louis, WR)

2016 fifth-round pick (No. 154, Jordan Payton, WR)

Raiders got

2016 fourth-round pick (No. 100, Connor Cook, QB)

2017 first-round pick (No. 12): Traded to Texans
Browns got

2017 first-round pick (No. 25, Jabrill Peppers, S)

2018 first-round pick (TBD)

Texans got

2017 first-round pick (No. 12, Deshaun Watson)

2018 second-round pick (TBD)
Still owned by the Browns.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

that was an awful article. that guy knows diddly and was too lazy to find out which players the teams actually got through the trades. why do we care which player was taken in that slot? we want to know which players the teams ended up with.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Has there really ever been a case of overpaying for a QB who ends up winning a championship and excels in the league?

Despite, all of fishers shortcomings, he drafted well and I loved the move for Goff. For that, alone, I will always be grateful to the stach.

The game against Philly will be awesome and has to be a flex game. I don't know which talking head I'd like to see explode first after Goff goes off and the rams win. Ok, I do, and it's Chris the dis carter.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, it makes sense. Just make sure you have your guy. Don't gamble on just any guy.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Awful, awful, awful article. (The title is fine though.)

Author is late to arrive at the obvious, but hedges his bets in so many stupid, asinine ways I lost track.

(His use of the phrase “Belichikian” is especially inaccurate and puke-worthy. Gee, if the Pats didn’t have Brady, ya think they’d just keep stockpiling picks like the Browns?!?)

The Eagles made a good move trading up for Wentz. (Gee, ya think?). The rams were smart to trade up for Goff (Gee, ya think?). The Browns are idiots for failing to grab a franchise QB AGAIN. (Gee, ya think?)

Boggles the mind how anyone could not recognize the obvious: if you don’t have a franchise QB, GO GET ONE. It’s not a “huge gamble,” it’s a no-brainer.

And flv, my man, you “have no issues with the Browns trades.”??? Really? Their results seem A-OK to you?

the Rams were 100% correct to package their picks to move up and get their franchise QB. It shouldn’t even be a debate, frankly.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
TLDR.
God, is it next week yet?:sadwalk:

BeefJurky

Rookie
I believe the biggest "trade up" success story is Joe Flacco.
That's a pretty low bar. Almost every trade up has ended in disaster though.

Goff and Wentz have a chance to out-do that by a mile.