The befuddling belief in LA Rams newest tight end Jacob Harris

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

The befuddling belief in LA Rams newest tight end Jacob Harris​

The LA Rams have built a roster around going top shelf for stars, and bottom shelf for bargains. Even though the team has a fair share of the middle shelf talent, capable starting players who can deliver quality starts, but whose names never enter Pro Bowl discussion, it’s the extremes that command the headlines of Los Angeles.

The luster of an NFL elite player can be addictive and mesmerizing. It creates an effect on the rest of the squad of elevating their play and perhaps giving teammates the chance to produce at the highest level of their careers. We cite that aura of positive influence on the LA Rams as the Aaron Donald effect. So when it comes down to evaluating talent, for many players who could be considered for a role with the team, it’s not based on their virtues alone, but how well that person might play in the company of AD.

And that’s not fair to either player. But it’s so tempting to do.

Now the LA Rams have added new veteran quarterback Matthew Stafford, and before he has thrown one regulating NFL pass for the LA Rams, the temptation to apply that same effect upon the receivers in the room is equally as tempting. Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, Tyler Higbee, and even Van Jefferson could enjoy career-high seasons. Then again, they may not. It’s tough to say, simply because we can’t truly know how well Stafford will play in HC Sean McVay’s offense.

But the coaches are hinting so far. Players’ jaws are dropping. Post-practice interviews seem to have a skip to them. The offense has been reportedly ‘holding their own.’ against the defense this year in training camp. All positives chunks of coal to throw into the preseason furnace. All bits of fuel to burn the optimism white-hot for this season. All bits of data to digest, analyze, and theorize about the 2021 NFL season.

Sky’s the limit skyscraper

Complicating all of that is the matter of a young man with the sky-is-the-limit potential but incredibly light football experience in the form of 6-foot-5 219-pound tight end Jacob Harris. He can make plays that flash All-Pro potential. Then, just as suddenly, he can appear to be a guy who truly won’t make the roster. The challenge right now is that he is neither, and yet he is both.

View: https://twitter.com/ramsnfl/status/1428040346798235654?s=21

Let’s back it up a moment.

The young man who was drafted by the LA Rams with the 141st pick of the 2021 NFL Draft was chosen a bit higher than his fifth-round grande. But he is a very tall, fast, and athletic target out of the University of Central Florida (UCF) who walked onto the football team in 2017. He was a special teams ace in 2018 and finally latched on as a bona fide offensive weapon in 2019. He further flexed his muscle on offense in 2020 before entering the 2021 NFL Draft.

Due to his size, strength, power, and athleticism, it is hard to tell how much of Harris’ sudden success has to do with his football acumen, and how much is simply due to the fact that he was so much bigger stronger, and faster than the competition in college football. That disparity of his talent to that of the competition will narrow considerably in the NFL. Still, the Rams coaching staff, and in particular, Coach McVay believes in Harris’ ability to achieve his full NFL potential.

He is already appearing to be leaning towards a successful NFL career, albeit it is far too early to conclude it is a sure thing. But he is starting to look the part of an NFL receiver (although his tight end blocking skills are nothing to cheer about just yet.). He was targeted seven times against the LA Chargers (even during the time when they played starters on defense). He caught four passes for 43 yards, enough to lead the receivers on the day.

Rams’ red zone O can really shine with Harris

Hey, he’s inexperienced. He’s raw. And he’s young. All of that combined comes to one conclusion. He will get better. How much better is up to each of us to decide. Then, it will be up to him and the LA Rams to deliver. How quickly depends on a number of factors.

One element that is certainly necessary and is very present is opportunity. With the departure of Gerald Everett to free agency, and the disappointing production of Brycen Hopkins so far, the LA Rams need someone to rise through the ranks at the tight end position. And with Jacob Harris, the coaching staff finds itself with a lump of NFL quality clay that they can shape and mold however they see fit. Reports from McVay suggest that Harris is incredibly adept and quick at absorbing and learning the Rams role for him.

Eventually, he will need to demonstrate all of that acquired knowledge, and the LA Rams already have the spot reserved for him. The coaches want to add some oomph to the red zone offense, and with running back Cam Akers going down, it will likely need to come from the passing game. Due to the lack of maneuverability, the offense will need to place taller targets into the mix, as well as players who can win contested catches. Harris will do nicely in both categories when he fully develops.

And there’s the rub. The if’s and buts. Jacob Harris is not fully developed. From what we’ve seen in the past, the cards are stacked against Harris to get many snaps in this offense this year. He’s a rookie. He’s very raw. And he is learning a brand new position. But then there is the flip side.

He can be deadly effective as a target in the red zone. Even if he is not a primary target, his presence on the football field will force coverage his way. Besides, will the Matthew-Stafford-Effect buoy his production? Well, wait a darned minute. We said we wouldn’t consider Matthew Stafford in judging Harris’ potential in the Rams’ offense this year. But it’s nearly impossible not to. They have the potential to become a high-scoring tandem this season. So until they prove that they aren’t, why not just go with it for now?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Unfortunately, two players they drafted this year made me immediately think of a couple of past draft failures.

Of course the Tutu Atwell pick reminds me of Tavon Austin.

And this pick reminds me a bit of Gerald Everett who never really panned out, in my opinion.

I hope I'm wrong on both opinions.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unfortunately, two players they drafted this year made me immediately think of a couple of past draft failures.

And this pick reminds me a bit of Gerald Everett who never really panned out, in my opinion.

I don’t see the Everett comparison outside of position?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Same.

Everett was a 2nd round pick and was expected to contribute sooner and at a higher level than he ever did. Harris was a 4th round guy with a lot of athleticism but who was supposed to be developmental but has shown flashes that he could be ready to contribute sooner than expected.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

Tavon Austin was clearly faster than most players in college. The problem was, in the NFL everyone is fast. He never adapted. Tutu is in the same boat. Will he adapt to the faster defenses? I don't know. I know I prefer not to make comparisons until it actually happens. I remember a few years ago people compared us to the Eagles dream team and predicted we'd flop because of that. We won 13 games and went to the Superbowl.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Hey, he’s inexperienced. He’s raw. And he’s young. All of that combined comes to one conclusion. He will get better. How much better is up to each of us to decide. Then, it will be up to him and the LA Rams to deliver.
:dizzy:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
If a rookie player is flashing in TC like this... that's one hell of a great sign. Especially at the WR/TE position. After QB... WR/TE is the position that takes the longest to transition into at this level.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Tavon Austin was clearly faster than most players in college. The problem was, in the NFL everyone is fast. He never adapted. Tutu is in the same boat. Will he adapt to the faster defenses? I don't know.

if i remember correctly in this years draft there was a reciever that went a few picks ahead of our pick. alot of peple thought that would be our pick. anyway they showed a clip of the rams draft room and there was no high fives or celebrating almost like tutu was plan b. was the lack of celebrating because the rams draft team being split up because of covid or was it because we missed the guy we really wanted?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Well, you have two move tight ends of a similar size that may never be able to contribute much as blockers in the run game.

Essentially big, athletic wide receivers of similar size that have quite a few pundits feeling they are question marks in their draft position.

When you have a tight end on the field that is not known to block you pretty much tell the defense that it is going to be a pass play.

Of course, I actually feel that Harris has a good chance to contribute but I also felt the same way about Everett.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
if i remember correctly in this years draft there was a reciever that went a few picks ahead of our pick. alot of peple thought that would be our pick. anyway they showed a clip of the rams draft room and there was no high fives or celebrating almost like tutu was plan b. was the lack of celebrating because the rams draft team being split up because of covid or was it because we missed the guy we really wanted?
More likely a quick afterthought or backup emergency plans stuff......I am still baffled about that pick.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I blame everything on covid.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Thank goodness for articles like this to keep the befuddling believers in check!!! How DARE they believe in anything!

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake

I'll never understand why Everett was considered a failure. He was a good #2 TE, probably one of the better #2 TE's in the league. Sure he had his ups and downs but what #2 TE doesn't? I think some of the Ramily needs to have a bit of a reality check in knowing that not every player can be the best at their respected position in football.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Tavon Austin was more of a tiny RB trying to be an WR. Tutu Atwell is actually a WR.

And I'll say it until the cows come home, Everett would have "panned out" if the Rams didn't have Cooper Kupp manning the slot, IMO. Slot WR beat out the Slot TE.

Last edited:

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
More likely a quick afterthought or backup emergency plans stuff......I am still baffled about that pick.
I say lets see what he actually offers @ the NFL level. Players always defy odds or the status quo and there are plenty of players that have come into the NFL who has proven everyone wrong. I trust McVay when it comes to picking WR's. Look at Woods, Kupp, and now Jefferson. Sure you're not going to hit on every Draft prospect or FA but he has had a pretty good track record.
I will say a big difference with TuTu vs Tavon is he actually ran routes in college and did a lot of what McVay does with sweeps and screens. So he somewhat fits the mold of what the Rams are looking for. He also makes contested catches, and for his size that says a lot. TA did not make those catches and he often got lost on plays. I'm not saying that TuTu will be the next Steve Smith but that is what McVay is banking on. Stay tuned.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If a rookie player is flashing in TC like this... that's one hell of a great sign. Especially at the WR/TE position. After QB... WR/TE is the position that takes the longest to transition into at this level.
Agreed. If a rookie isn’t flashing some sort of potential somewhere, that’s a bad sign. If they flash as much as Harris is that’s a very good sign.
I agree and many assume it was one of the other speed receivers that went just ahead of the Rams picks. It’s also possible it was the DE that they supposedly loved.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'll never understand why Everett was considered a failure. He was a good #2 TE, probably one of the better #2 TE's in the league. Sure he had his ups and downs but what #2 TE doesn't? I think some of the Ramily needs to have a bit of a reality check in knowing that not every player can be the best at their respected position in football.

Because better tight ends have been drafted in later rounds. It felt like a forced pick for a raw player early in round 2. I think we saw a repeat of forcing a positional need with an early pick this past draft.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Word of the Day Calendar: August 20, 2021

BEFUDDLING

Ramblinfan: "I just found my angle for that Jacob Harris blog entry I've been meaning to write!"