Terrell Lewis is maximizing opportunities, but more focused on the plays he should have made

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Terrell Lewis is maximizing opportunities, but more focused on the plays he should have made​

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – Terrell Lewis' mindset is as relentless as the way he pursues opposing quarterbacks.

Yes, the Rams outside linebacker has recorded a sack in each of the Rams' last three games. But when asked about his performance over that span, he was more focused on the plays he should've made instead of the ones he actually did.

"It's been good obviously," Lewis said Monday. "Did well I guess. I'm always more critical of myself. I notice other stuff I could've done too."

By that, Lewis means plays he left on the field.

Even though he had two total tackles (one for loss), one sack and one QB hit, he said he felt like he was supposed to have an interception too in the Rams' 38-11 win over the Giants last week.

Overall, he's recorded nine total tackles (three for loss), two QB hits and one forced fumble in addition to those three sacks over the last three weeks.

"He's been great. It's been a real positive," Rams head coach Sean McVay said Wednesday. "If you look at all the things that he's overcome, to see the significant amount of snaps that he's really played over the last three weeks, more than he's ever played by far, seeing how he's coming out of these games, that's been a real positive. You talk about a guy that's overcome a lot of adversity and a lot of setbacks from a health standpoint, to be where he's at, it's a great feel-good story. (We) want to continue to keep him healthy, which is why you see us be smart with him throughout the course of the weeks, giving him a rest day like today, but he's only getting better. And if he wasn't so long, maybe we wouldn't have that offsides last week (laughs), but he's doing a good job."

That adversity McVay is referring to is when Lewis was placed on the Reserve/Non-Football Injury list prior to the start of it as he dealt with atrophy from a knee procedure he underwent. That procedure was done because of infection concerns from a previous procedure, and while no infection was discovered, the atrophy led to Los Angeles placing him on that list, subsequently delaying Lewis' Rams and NFL debut until Week 5.

This year, the Rams are managing Lewis' health by giving him a rest day during practice each week. In turn, Lewis has been able to have many more opportunities to self-critique his performance.

Lewis has also picked up things like time in the sauna from Rams' veterans to help optimize his recovery and performance.

To be in the position to make the impact he has, Lewis said it's "a blessing," but unsurprisingly indicated there's more work to be done.

"It's a start, definitely," Lewis said. "I'm just happy to be able to get be able to be on the field consistently and be able to contribute and help this team to reach our ultimate goal."

In that regard, Rams defensive coordinator Raheem Morris has been pleased with what he's seen.

Morris joked that he was still looking for the third sack Lewis got – perhaps one more thing for Lewis to examine – but it counts nonetheless, and Lewis has continued to capitalize on his increased playing time in Morris' eyes.

"He went out man and he's absolutely been phenomenal," Morris said. "He's another guy that kind of taken advantage of the snap count. We've seen it go up increasingly more and more every single week. It's a credit to him for (his) health, it's a credit for him to taking care of himself, it's a credit to him put in this position to take advantage of the moment, and he's certainly done that."

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I have no issue taking a chance on a guy man none at all. But when a player has only played 50% of snaps you can't call him a big contributor and say he's going to be better than Von Miller next year. That's my only point. People need to change their perspective into "hopefully he can play majority of snaps and make an impact for us." That is a very reasonable and optimistic expectation and the way we all should be feeling.
I haven't read anybody saying he's going to be better than Von Miller (but I haven't read every word on every thread) so if they did, I missed it. That is an unrealistic expectation. But so is signing any of the remaining edge UFAs and expecting them to even approach Von Miller.

Better than what we have? Possibly.

Better than a rookie especially one coming off the board when we pick? Possibly.

Clowney could be good, given the right situation and his level of commitment but that's also expecting a lot. Anybody who takes a season off is suspect to me.

If Terrell Lewis' drawback is health, then given a healthy year he's got close to the same chance any FA or rookie has to give us a productive effort.

I'm not "banking" on any one guy. TLew has potential if healthy. Garrett only dominated backups and third string in preseason 2021 but it looked remarkably like his D3 highlight reels. If he can make backups and 3rd stringers look like he's playing D3 guys, how far of a stretch is it to believe he could play against 1's? So he doesn't dominate like it's D3 but we only need him to be a good NFL OLB.

Last edited:
Name
A Really Cool
Being positive just to be positive isn't any more helpful than being negative just to shit on everyone's experience. If you approach things either way around here you're in for some pain IMO. And not one poster here is miserable. We're world champions. People are about as happy as I've ever seen them round these parts.

What Von did last year for us was rare. Trading for him was a grand slam because he gave us not only a lethal rush threat but he played the F out of the run too. The guy shut it down outside on his edge.

Also Von played 15 games his rookie season with double digit sacks and a shit ton of pressures and QB hits. He made the Pro Bowl as a rookie. Lewis has played two seasons with 4 starts. Von's second year he put up 18.5 sacks and 28 stuffs. Lewis doesn't deserve to even be in the conversation with a guy who is a first ballot Hall of Famer. This has nothing to do with being positive it has to do with being rational.
Idc about all that. I'm taking the wait and see approach. If it doesn't work out, so be it. Is what it is. I love the Rams too but I'm not gonna give up on a player after two years.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
All this means is that in spite of the injury history, Lewis still believes in himself.

train

All it means for the Rams was that they wasted a third round draft pick.

They likely won’t even get a 6th round comp pick for him in two more years. That sucks for a third round pick.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Idc about all that. I'm taking the wait and see approach. If it doesn't work out, so be it. Is what it is. I love the Rams too but I'm not gonna give up on a player after two years.
Go buy his jersey then. And I hope it works out for you. I'm not giving up on him either, but I'm also not gonna crown the dude when he doesn't deserve it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Do we really believe the Rams were even close to having an OLB Terrell Lewis available for starting duties @ OLB'er was even on the table @ the time pre-Von Miller trade period?

DC Morris has a situation with his starting OLB Justin Hollins on the IR, an endless "walking/limping injured "Og Okoronkwo still in the training room bath & rookie Chris Garrett .....

A wise Rams Org would be forced into a costly decision thus depleting a high amount of short supply of the team's future assets by going for only a half-year rental for a 33 declining & injured Von Miller?

If Lewis was even in the OLB'er starting discussion then or even now.....has anyone heard much from our SB-winning DC coach on Terrell Lewis?

The Rams here in this 2022 draft are now without their needed 2nd & 3rd-round draft selections. Terrell Lewis's health did have an impact on this big retooling upcoming event.

Last edited:
Name
A Really Cool
Go buy his jersey then. And I hope it works out for you. I'm not giving up on him either, but I'm also not gonna crown the dude when he doesn't deserve it.
Sounds like you're offended that I have patience. All good tho bro. Nobody's crowning him dude, people just wanna see him produce. Let people be hopeful. Nothing bad comes from being hopeful.

Ramon Ram

Starter
Do we really believe the Rams were even close to having an OLB Terrell Lewis available for starting duties @ OLB'er was even on the table @ the time pre-Von Miller trade period?

DC Morris has a situation with his starting OLB Justin Hollins on the IR, an endless "walking/limping injured "Og Okoronkwo still in the training room bath & rookie Chris Garrett .....

A wise Rams Org would be forced into a costly decision thus depleting a high amount of short supply of the team's future assets by going for only a half-year rental for a 33 declining & injured Von Miller?

If Lewis was even in the OLB'er starting discussion then or even now.....has anyone heard much from our SB-winning DC coach on Terrell Lewis?

The Rams here in this 2022 draft are now without their needed 2nd & 3rd-round draft selections. Terrell Lewis's health did have an impact on this big retooling upcoming event.
If they are still high on him for this year we won't hear about it now as they jockey for which way they go in draft. He is a beast when healthy so I hope he is.

Shuie3225

Starter
He is a beast when healthy so I hope he is.
I genuinely am curious where this narrative comes from around here because many people share it. He has 5 sacks in two seasons. Has played in 20 games and has 5 sacks. How is that a beast when healthy I dont get it? He's made a few plays when on the field but for a guy getting non stop single blocked he's been wildly inconsistent while on the field IMO. People seem to think he's shown to be some elite edge rusher in the NFL, only he gets hurt. Hasn't been the case at all.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I didn't think I needed to use blue font for that sentence but I learn something new every day.

Either way you want to be sarcastic is alright. I still bet what I posted.I won’t wish anything on any player so I leave it at that.
We’ll see how Robert Woods does in Tennessee.His work ethic was contagious as a Ram.

Stump23

Rookie
T Lew is a real specimen....dude is huge. I fear his knee may be near the point where Gurley's was at the end, but I hope not. Would love to see him play up to how the Rams expect and want him to.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I genuinely am curious where this narrative comes from around here because many people share it. He has 5 sacks in two seasons. Has played in 20 games and has 5 sacks. How is that a beast when healthy I dont get it? He's made a few plays when on the field but for a guy getting non stop single blocked he's been wildly inconsistent while on the field IMO. People seem to think he's shown to be some elite edge rusher in the NFL, only he gets hurt. Hasn't been the case at all.

The Rams knew that with Terrell Lewis they would have to take the long road. He left college early and already had a couple of serious injuries on his resume, so he was going to be a developmental player no matter how we approached it. Lewis dropped from a likely 1'st rd. draft pick to the 3'rd because of his injury status, not his talent. Is Lewis a gamble ? Sure he is, but the Rams definitely saw the value if they can get him in play.
I wouldn't necessarily be looking at his total games and sacks as I would be at snaps. In his final full season with the Broncos before coming to the Rams, Von Miller had 837 snaps and 8 sacks as a top veteran player, ... Lewis has had 5 sacks with 491 total NFL snaps as a developmental player with only two part-time seasons under his belt. Lewis is under a rather inexpensive contract thru the 2023 season, the Rams have plenty of time to determine whether he'll step up, and although some fans may have exaggerated expectations, most seem OK waiting to see how it plays out.
jmo.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gonna feel a ton better if they can come out of round 3 with an edge. Failing that a corner.

Of course the pick will be a WR because why not. :ROFLMAO:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Gonna feel a ton better if they can come out of round 3 with an edge. Failing that a corner.

Of course the pick will be a WR because why not. :ROFLMAO:
Yeah but if the Rams select an Edge at #104, is he likely better than Hollins or Lewis; and if it's a CB, is that guy likely to be better than Long or Rochell? Maybe the player drafted at #104 will eventually be the better player but it may take a season or two.

I am thinking an Edge or CB at #104 is for depth and development. Same if the selection is a Guard because, Shelton, Evans and Anchrum may all be ahead of a rookie to fill the starting-RG-spot.

I think if the Rams are going to improve at Edge, CB and-or RG, it will be through a trade or free agent signing.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah but if the Rams select an Edge at #104, is he likely better than Hollins or Lewis; and if it's a CB, is that guy likely to be better than Long or Rochell? Maybe the player drafted at #104 will eventually be the better player but it may take a season or two.

I am thinking an Edge or CB at #104 is for depth and development. Same if the selection is a Guard because, Shelton, Evans and Anchrum may all be ahead of a rookie to fill the starting-RG-spot.

I think if the Rams are going to improve at Edge, CB and-or RG, it will be through a trade or free agent signing.
I think so. What we actually need is someone in the rotation who can give us a good rush on third down. All Lewis' talent doesn't really mean much when we can't plan for him to lock the spot down.

Hollins will handle contain downs. Lewis is like additional depth that happens to have big upside. Just find a good rush element for the rotation for use on passing downs.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I think so. What we actually need is someone in the rotation who can give us a good rush on third down. All Lewis' talent doesn't really mean much when we can't plan for him to lock the spot down.
Hope so.

I just went though the 2018-2021 Drafts. Started at #104 and went through Rounds 4 and 5, looking at Edge/DEs and CBs. Other than Maxx Crosby (#106 in 2019), I don't think I saw an Edge/DE that I would play ahead of Terrell Lewis in a a reserve pass-rushing-role. There were 3-4 CBs that would at leas compete with Long and Rochell to start opposite Ramsey.

I think the best they can do is find another Obo Okoronkwo ... and, I would be happy with that.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oko was a rotational rusher so yeah that's what they're looking for. Someone who can rotate in on passing downs and give the front a little juice.

This class is loaded in depth at OLB. It's a good class to find a rotational edge in round 3 or maybe later. And I don't think it's a coincidence that the loaded position in the draft coincides with one of our biggest positional weaknesses.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I would just say that saying he played in 20 games doesn't really discribe how much he played or how little. He only started to get decent amount of snaps last year before Miller showed up. The year before I bet he never got more than 10 snaps. So kinda hard to get going. In those minimal snaps he did make a couple of big plays. I think it is correct to think he has big potential. It is also correct to say it doesn't mean much if he doesn't stay on the field. All we can do is hope and see if the extra time off and our medical staff make a difference. I am sure we are all rooting for him.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Oko was a rotational rusher so yeah that's what they're looking for.
Someone who can rotate in on passing downs and give the front a little juice.
Yes but Okoronkwo played very little in his first two seasons. It took time for him to earn snaps.

That's why I wrote in my first response ...
"Maybe the player drafted at #104 will eventually be the better player but it may take a season or two."

We're on the same page. I am hoping the Rams find a couple quality players that can contribute right-away. However, it's tough to do when 103 players will be off-the-board before the Rams select. The best teams have average players starting at some positions.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Very true and you never know how long a guy will take to feel him out there if ever. But I will observe that with Oko he was another guy who has been rather fragile, not as fragile as Lewis but still I think that affected his ability to translate quickly.

I'm of the mind that IF all you want is a guy who can rush the QB on third down, then maybe they can find a guy to help them situationally. And it seems to me that's what they want, though with the Rams you never know because they are willing to use their full roster in terms of next man up with surprising results. I mean Garrett might be the guy who knows, we certainly wouldn't since we don't get to watch practices.

Using the guys who I keep seeing available in that neighborhood (rounds 3&4) if the Rams take Deangelo Malone he might be a year one rotational rusher for us. He's a guy I am hoping is on the board. But if they end up with say Dominique Robinson they get some upside but very unlikely he helps us this year. I don't think the Rams would overlook a guy they think will be good down the road, so I would think if they like Robinson as a person and in terms of his work ethic I could see them taking him.

Or they could go with a more swiss army type who gives them some diversity in scheme with a guy like Kingsley Enagbare. I actually could see this and IMO this player is strong enough in his edge setting to rotate in year one. He wouldn't give us the rush Malone does but he's probably a better player overall.

If they ignore edge in the draft then I'll assume either the guy they wanted wasn't there, or that they really like Garrett. But regardless of what they think of Garrett that room needs fresh blood.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The Rams can probably get a starting corner at 104... I don't think they're finding a starting edge there. They can cobble a rotation out of Lewis/Hollins and Garrett.. and will end up with a veteran rusher at some point.. either before or during the season.

I'm not saying don't draft any edge... I'm just saying don't expect anything out of that edge this season.