Terrell Lewis is maximizing opportunities, but more focused on the plays he should have made

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Terrell Lewis is maximizing opportunities, but more focused on the plays he should have made​

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – Terrell Lewis' mindset is as relentless as the way he pursues opposing quarterbacks.

Yes, the Rams outside linebacker has recorded a sack in each of the Rams' last three games. But when asked about his performance over that span, he was more focused on the plays he should've made instead of the ones he actually did.

"It's been good obviously," Lewis said Monday. "Did well I guess. I'm always more critical of myself. I notice other stuff I could've done too."

By that, Lewis means plays he left on the field.

Even though he had two total tackles (one for loss), one sack and one QB hit, he said he felt like he was supposed to have an interception too in the Rams' 38-11 win over the Giants last week.

Overall, he's recorded nine total tackles (three for loss), two QB hits and one forced fumble in addition to those three sacks over the last three weeks.

"He's been great. It's been a real positive," Rams head coach Sean McVay said Wednesday. "If you look at all the things that he's overcome, to see the significant amount of snaps that he's really played over the last three weeks, more than he's ever played by far, seeing how he's coming out of these games, that's been a real positive. You talk about a guy that's overcome a lot of adversity and a lot of setbacks from a health standpoint, to be where he's at, it's a great feel-good story. (We) want to continue to keep him healthy, which is why you see us be smart with him throughout the course of the weeks, giving him a rest day like today, but he's only getting better. And if he wasn't so long, maybe we wouldn't have that offsides last week (laughs), but he's doing a good job."

That adversity McVay is referring to is when Lewis was placed on the Reserve/Non-Football Injury list prior to the start of it as he dealt with atrophy from a knee procedure he underwent. That procedure was done because of infection concerns from a previous procedure, and while no infection was discovered, the atrophy led to Los Angeles placing him on that list, subsequently delaying Lewis' Rams and NFL debut until Week 5.

This year, the Rams are managing Lewis' health by giving him a rest day during practice each week. In turn, Lewis has been able to have many more opportunities to self-critique his performance.

Lewis has also picked up things like time in the sauna from Rams' veterans to help optimize his recovery and performance.

To be in the position to make the impact he has, Lewis said it's "a blessing," but unsurprisingly indicated there's more work to be done.

"It's a start, definitely," Lewis said. "I'm just happy to be able to get be able to be on the field consistently and be able to contribute and help this team to reach our ultimate goal."

In that regard, Rams defensive coordinator Raheem Morris has been pleased with what he's seen.

Morris joked that he was still looking for the third sack Lewis got – perhaps one more thing for Lewis to examine – but it counts nonetheless, and Lewis has continued to capitalize on his increased playing time in Morris' eyes.

"He went out man and he's absolutely been phenomenal," Morris said. "He's another guy that kind of taken advantage of the snap count. We've seen it go up increasingly more and more every single week. It's a credit to him for (his) health, it's a credit for him to taking care of himself, it's a credit to him put in this position to take advantage of the moment, and he's certainly done that."

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I have no doubt Lewis has the talent to be a high caliber edge rusher. But I hate the caveat that comes with that. "If healthy".

Name
A Really Cool
Well the Von Miller of his first 2 weeks. There is a reason the Bills paid him Bank.
T. Lewis is a hard read.He has all the skill sets except getting around the edge all that well.
Experience there’s no chance. Von Millers leadership was bar-none.
Do you even know what you're talking about? They drafted him BECAUSE of him being an edge rusher. He was a pass rushers for Alabama.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If this guy can stay healthy, he will be just as good of a pass rusher as Von Miller was last year.
XAWd.gif

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Good player. Seemingly never available. I would never count on him as anything more than a depth piece or rotational player. Which means the second he demands big money is the second I would show him the door. I doubt many other teams would invest heavily in him, either, for those same availability concerns. So he might end up a Ram for some time yet.

Ram65

Legend

Injury Report 12/11: Brian Allen doubtful, Terrell Lewis and Dont'e Deayon questionable for Monday Night Football at Cardinals​

Dec 11, 2021 at 02:15 PM
Stu Jackson of the Los Angeles Rams headshot, Thursday, May 20, 2021, in Thousand Oaks, CA. (Jeff Lewis/LA Rams)

Stu Jackson
Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – Rams center Brian Allen (knee) is doubtful for Monday night's game against the Cardinals (5:15 p.m. pacific time, ESPN and ABC7), while outside linebacker Terrell Lewis (back) and cornerback Dont'e Deayon (illness) are also questionable for the contest.
"Obviously (would) love to be able to have Brian, but I think if anything, Coleman (Shelton) played the whole game last week, with the exception of the opening snap," Rams head coach Sean McVay said Saturday. "I thought he did an outstanding job, got great command, great poise, I thought he played tough in both phases. And so very competent in Coleman's ability to step in and lead the way up front."
For the Cardinals, defensive lineman Zach Kerr (ribs) has been ruled out for Monday night's contest, while offensive lineman Justin Pugh (calf) is considered questionable.
Below are the final injury reports for both teams:
LOS ANGELES RAMS
Table inside Article
PlayerPositionInjuryThursdayFridaySaturdayGame Status
Brian AllenOLKneeDNPDNPDNPDoubtful
Terrell LewisOLBBackDNPDNPLimitedQuestionable

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So late in the season, it was his back and not the knee that kept him out. It's a small consolation that it wasn't the knee. What hasn't been said already about his health and availability? I still have hope that he can contribute. It's a wait and see situation.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Okay, if this guy stays healthy all year, he will have more sacks than Von in 2021. You want to take that bet? If he gets hurt, the bet is off.
Dont know what the point is with bullshit abstract hypotheticals like that. He wont stay healthy for the whole year there's no way, he has a degenerative knee condition. Weird signing by Klutch tbh as this guy has done nothing in the NFL through 2 years. And btw 99% of the NFL edge rushers while healthy cant produce like a healthy Von Miller. I get having optimism but come on man back to reality.

But if we're being honest I personally think Tutu Atwell will have a Jama'ar Chase type year next year if he stays healthy.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Dont know what the point is with bullshit abstract hypotheticals like that. He wont stay healthy for the whole year there's no way, he has a degenerative knee condition. Weird signing by Klutch tbh as this guy has done nothing in the NFL through 2 years. And btw 99% of the NFL edge rushers while healthy cant produce like a healthy Von Miller. I get having optimism but come on man back to reality.

But if we're being honest I personally think Tutu Atwell will have a Jama'ar Chase type year next year if he stays healthy.

Tutu has that kind of speed. He just isn’t big enough. He has excellent catch radius.I think Tutu has as big of a season as DJ1 did last season.

Ask Cooper Kupp about his knee. I think T. Lewis can stay healthy. A back injury, if Von Miller was hurt I know T. Lewis would have touched it out. There’s no reason to risk him. Special teams guys meant more from a depth standpoint.

Von Miller was hurt last season, so if you really want to be real he could have as good of a season as Con Miller last year with the Broncos before being traded. The rest on what Von Miller did as a Ram is history. The Rams won the SuperBowl

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm sorry, but do say he's done nothing is wrong. He's made some plays whenever on the field. Plus he put the hurt on gronk and knocked him out of the game in the regular season.

It's not his fault the Rams signed Miller and that made him an inactive for the rest of the season.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I'm sorry, but do say he's done nothing is wrong. He's made some plays whenever on the field. Plus he put the hurt on gronk and knocked him out of the game in the regular season.

It's not his fault the Rams signed Miller and that made him an inactive for the rest of the season.

Sorry man but playing in 19 games out of a possible 38 games is the definition of doing nothing. He has 5 sacks in two full seasons after being a 3rd round pick. He's played in 50% of his games as a pro due to always fighting a degenerative knee injury and needed to manage it constantly. Cooper Kupp is a 3rd round pick that's doing something.

The way Lewis gets defended around here is crazy to me given his health through two years, and comparing him to Von Miller is the most laughable thing I've seen here in a while. The reason we needed to go out and sign a Von Miller, and the reason we still need to sign an Edge this off-season is because T Lewis cannot be trusted. That is just the flat out truth. History and the evidence we've seen tells us that. Not to mention 2 of his last 3 years at Alabama he was significantly injured. The guy has talent yes but that means NOTHING if you cant stay on the field to develop it. He cannot be trusted to contribute and saying "if hes healthy he'll put up Von Miller numbers" is such a ridiculously hypothetical statement that it shouldn't even be entertained because it will never happen.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Tutu has that kind of speed. He just isn’t big enough. He has excellent catch radius.I think Tutu has as big of a season as DJ1 did last season
I didn't think I needed to use blue font for that sentence but I learn something new every day.

Name
A Really Cool
Sorry man but playing in 19 games out of a possible 38 games is the definition of doing nothing. He has 5 sacks in two full seasons after being a 3rd round pick. He's played in 50% of his games as a pro due to always fighting a degenerative knee injury and needed to manage it constantly. Cooper Kupp is a 3rd round pick that's doing something.

The way Lewis gets defended around here is crazy to me given his health through two years, and comparing him to Von Miller is the most laughable thing I've seen here in a while. The reason we needed to go out and sign a Von Miller, and the reason we still need to sign an Edge this off-season is because T Lewis cannot be trusted. That is just the flat out truth. History and the evidence we've seen tells us that. Not to mention 2 of his last 3 years at Alabama he was significantly injured. The guy has talent yes but that means NOTHING if you cant stay on the field to develop it. He cannot be trusted to contribute and saying "if hes healthy he'll put up Von Miller numbers" is such a ridiculously hypothetical statement that it shouldn't even be entertained because it will never happen.
Let people be positive. Not everyone wants to be miserable my friend.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cooper Kupp is a 3rd round pick that's doing something.

Cooper Kupp is a unicorn.

The Rams knew the risk with Lewis but thought it was worth a shot. We'll find out soon if they can get a return.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I think it had something to do with what college he played for in the NCAA. Taking a chance on a guy with an injury history who excelled in college when healthy is one thing. Taking a chance on a guy like that who excelled on a good team is something different. Don't be surprised if they take a chance on another Alabama Edge player with a similar situation this year (Christopher Allen). Maybe between the two of them they can play 17 games? :woozy:

I also think it has something to do with the draft capital in hand. They took Lewis with 1 of 2 third round picks after having drafted 2 players in the 2nd round. It's an opportunity to take a chance. This year they have three 5th round picks. They could do the same thing there. It's a gamble that isn't eating up a lot of value.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Being positive just to be positive isn't any more helpful than being negative just to shit on everyone's experience. If you approach things either way around here you're in for some pain IMO. And not one poster here is miserable. We're world champions. People are about as happy as I've ever seen them round these parts.

What Von did last year for us was rare. Trading for him was a grand slam because he gave us not only a lethal rush threat but he played the F out of the run too. The guy shut it down outside on his edge.

Also Von played 15 games his rookie season with double digit sacks and a shit ton of pressures and QB hits. He made the Pro Bowl as a rookie. Lewis has played two seasons with 4 starts. Von's second year he put up 18.5 sacks and 28 stuffs. Lewis doesn't deserve to even be in the conversation with a guy who is a first ballot Hall of Famer. This has nothing to do with being positive it has to do with being rational.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I think it had something to do with what college he played for in the NCAA. Taking a chance on a guy with an injury history who excelled in college when healthy is one thing. Taking a chance on a guy like that who excelled on a good team is something different. Don't be surprised if they take a chance on another Alabama Edge player with a similar situation this year (Christopher Allen). Maybe between the two of them they can play 17 games? :woozy:

I also think it has something to do with the draft capital in hand. They took Lewis with 1 of 2 third round picks after having drafted 2 players in the 2nd round. It's an opportunity to take a chance. This year they have three 5th round picks. They could do the same thing there. It's a gamble that isn't eating up a lot of value.
I have no issue taking a chance on a guy man none at all. But when a player has only played 50% of snaps you can't call him a big contributor and say he's going to be better than Von Miller next year. That's my only point. People need to change their perspective into "hopefully he can play majority of snaps and make an impact for us." That is a very reasonable and optimistic expectation and the way we all should be feeling.

Saying T Lewis will have a Von Miller type year isnt being positive man. Dont get mad at me for calling that bullshit out. We all want T Lewis to stay healthy and develop into a solid player. But to say hes an all-pro caliber right now is just laughable. We still need to add an edge this off-season or in the draft which is exactly what Les and McVay will do 100%.