Terrell Lewis is maximizing opportunities, but more focused on the plays he should have made

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Terrell Lewis is maximizing opportunities, but more focused on the plays he should have made​

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – Terrell Lewis' mindset is as relentless as the way he pursues opposing quarterbacks.

Yes, the Rams outside linebacker has recorded a sack in each of the Rams' last three games. But when asked about his performance over that span, he was more focused on the plays he should've made instead of the ones he actually did.

"It's been good obviously," Lewis said Monday. "Did well I guess. I'm always more critical of myself. I notice other stuff I could've done too."

By that, Lewis means plays he left on the field.

Even though he had two total tackles (one for loss), one sack and one QB hit, he said he felt like he was supposed to have an interception too in the Rams' 38-11 win over the Giants last week.

Overall, he's recorded nine total tackles (three for loss), two QB hits and one forced fumble in addition to those three sacks over the last three weeks.

"He's been great. It's been a real positive," Rams head coach Sean McVay said Wednesday. "If you look at all the things that he's overcome, to see the significant amount of snaps that he's really played over the last three weeks, more than he's ever played by far, seeing how he's coming out of these games, that's been a real positive. You talk about a guy that's overcome a lot of adversity and a lot of setbacks from a health standpoint, to be where he's at, it's a great feel-good story. (We) want to continue to keep him healthy, which is why you see us be smart with him throughout the course of the weeks, giving him a rest day like today, but he's only getting better. And if he wasn't so long, maybe we wouldn't have that offsides last week (laughs), but he's doing a good job."

That adversity McVay is referring to is when Lewis was placed on the Reserve/Non-Football Injury list prior to the start of it as he dealt with atrophy from a knee procedure he underwent. That procedure was done because of infection concerns from a previous procedure, and while no infection was discovered, the atrophy led to Los Angeles placing him on that list, subsequently delaying Lewis' Rams and NFL debut until Week 5.

This year, the Rams are managing Lewis' health by giving him a rest day during practice each week. In turn, Lewis has been able to have many more opportunities to self-critique his performance.

Lewis has also picked up things like time in the sauna from Rams' veterans to help optimize his recovery and performance.

To be in the position to make the impact he has, Lewis said it's "a blessing," but unsurprisingly indicated there's more work to be done.

"It's a start, definitely," Lewis said. "I'm just happy to be able to get be able to be on the field consistently and be able to contribute and help this team to reach our ultimate goal."

In that regard, Rams defensive coordinator Raheem Morris has been pleased with what he's seen.

Morris joked that he was still looking for the third sack Lewis got – perhaps one more thing for Lewis to examine – but it counts nonetheless, and Lewis has continued to capitalize on his increased playing time in Morris' eyes.

"He went out man and he's absolutely been phenomenal," Morris said. "He's another guy that kind of taken advantage of the snap count. We've seen it go up increasingly more and more every single week. It's a credit to him for (his) health, it's a credit for him to taking care of himself, it's a credit to him put in this position to take advantage of the moment, and he's certainly done that."

jap

Legend
TLew - the Exterminator, coming to you LIVE, every weekend at a sorts stream near you. The LB who has the Gronk rethinking his career choice is actually, actually getting even better every single week!!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Lol - at all the Haters responses.I
Don’t know what post I quoted
About Mcvay vs Reggie Scott.

What Reggie Scott has done is exceptional for The Rams franchise.

Just nice to see when everyone is working hard together.The
Mentoring has been excellent as well.
Terrell Lewis is a DAWG & you could see it last season the way he interacted with teammates.

I’ve looked at relationships from a far & like how this Rams organization has been before Mcvay. The foundation under him has been phenomenal to say the least.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Rams are doing something right with strength and conditioning.

Let hope for continued good fortune.

Go Rams!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I want to see more Jamir Jones. I think he may have climbed over Chris Garrett behind Lewis and Obo. The guy seems to have a nose for the ball.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Lol - at all the Haters responses.
What hater responses. Does every thread and topic need to be a fight with polarized sides and marked enemies?

I want to see more Jamir Jones. I think he may have climbed over Chris Garrett behind Lewis and Obo. The guy seems to have a nose for the ball.
He does seem like a nice pickup. I love players who have that high effort/intensity snap to snap. And I'm starting to feel like the Rams are sort of pissed at Garrett about the immunization thing. Might be some residue annoyance with all of that.

Very happy with TLew and Oko right now, they're a very nice 1-2 punch off that edge. Just sort of waiting for and fearing injury.

Gotta throw some props out again for DL Coach Henderson. He's squeezing a lot from an unheralded OLB group. He does have talent to work with but to a man they have put things together from Hollins on.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Rams are doing something right with strength and conditioning.

Let hope for continued good fortune.

Go Rams!
Yeah, but their medical staff whiffed on the surgery on Lewis last year, looking for an infection that wasn't there.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

"As he grows and develops in the Rams’ system, Lewis can set himself up for a nice payday on a possible extension and it looks like he will have new representation to help him get there as Klutch Sports announced he has signed with their agency,"

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The moment he tells the Rams he wants to be paid...

thrown-out.gif

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

"As he grows and develops in the Rams’ system, Lewis can set himself up for a nice payday on a possible extension and it looks like he will have new representation to help him get there as Klutch Sports announced he has signed with their agency,"
Probably has to actually play to get an extension.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Even if he played lights out in 2022, what kind of money would the Rams give him, given his injury history? I hope he's terrific in 2022 so we get a nice comp pick.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Football Cliche: "The most important ability is availability." (See: Terrell Lewis)
Yeah ok… I get it,but didn’t even need to read the article to know T. Lewis is going to take a big step further & by bringing him back last season would have defeated that to risk his development.
If Von Miller wasn’t a Ram you would have seen him out there guaranteed.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Even if he played lights out in 2022, what kind of money would the Rams give him, given his injury history? I hope he's terrific in 2022 so we get a nice comp pick.
Really ? I guess your not talking about T. Lewis ? Comp pick ?

I wonder how Hollins does.He keeps improving,but I actually think Chris Garrett has the best off the ball pass rush than both players.

All 3 players have different strength’s & The Rams are going to bring in another PR/End.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Well I doubt he will be holding out anytime soon ? 2 years left on his contract and hasn’t done a whole lot.
You can see the skill set & flashes,but he is limited off the Edge that I’ve seen.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
If this guy can stay healthy, he will be just as good of a pass rusher as Von Miller was last year. Yeah I said it. But that's a tall order for a guy with his injury history.

oldnotdead

Legend
He's still learning. His injuries have put him behind in that regard. He's going to be fine. But this year he really needs to put it all together. If he does the Rams will have their edge opposite Floyd. The question is, how do the Rams see him? Goff is a good QB but the Rams wanted better. This is why I posed the question about whether he's trade bait for Hunter. With O'Connell as HC he knows Lewis well. They would get a potential long term replacement for a lot less money. The Rams get another proven vet who still has tread.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If this guy can stay healthy, he will be just as good of a pass rusher as Von Miller was last year. Yeah I said it. But that's a tall order for a guy with his injury history.
Well the Von Miller of his first 2 weeks. There is a reason the Bills paid him Bank.
T. Lewis is a hard read.He has all the skill sets except getting around the edge all that well.
Experience there’s no chance. Von Millers leadership was bar-none.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
He's still learning. His injuries have put him behind in that regard. He's going to be fine. But this year he really needs to put it all together. If he does the Rams will have their edge opposite Floyd. The question is, how do the Rams see him? Goff is a good QB but the Rams wanted better. This is why I posed the question about whether he's trade bait for Hunter. With O'Connell as HC he knows Lewis well. They would get a potential long term replacement for a lot less money. The Rams get another proven vet who still has tread.
Unhealthy for most all of his time @ Bama. Left early then drafted by the Rams & has been even more unhealthy :injury:& unavailable :hiding:since his arrival. How can he even be even close to being considered behind? I would state "way far behind" would be a closer description.

I sure can not see how all of that points in the direction that he is going to be fine for the Rams as an Edge Rusher.:thinking:

How could the Rams see him other than being either on the sideline or the training rehabbing center with medical personnel?

Lewis has not been available forever. I am sure of one thing Snead/McVay would be fools to see Lewis as being a long-term replacement for Von Miller or even a top reserve.

I do like Justin Hollins as OLB'er to start like last season with the DC Morris to mix up cover the OLB'er reserves with a blended concoction of defenders of Travin Howard, Chris Garrett & drafted rookies plus I would expect to see a good amount of a new 43 alignment since we have Wagner here now.

Best to look @ this edge situation without Lewis. If Lewis does happen to be available for a few back-to-back full days in TC then it would be a miracle. But first, the coaches would need to show Lewis where the field is at.

Rams are very short & thin with experienced OLB'ers where Lewis has been penciled in since being drafted. The expectation is to see several drafted ER's take Lewis's position @ OLB'er & move the growing over 6-5/262plus pound Lewis to the DE post & see if he might be able to be a part-time DL pass rusher. Rams are thick in the DL so if Lewis continues as he has the last five yrs(college/NFL) then his impact on the DL is not as critical as it would be depending on him @ LB'er.

Last edited:

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Last year he was getting more and more plays. They babied him during the week, but he was available. Then Miller was acquired and he never saw the field. You really can't say he was injured last year. He didn't play because miller was here. Not because of injury. It is very possible that all this time to fully heal could be the turning point in his career. We will see. Or maybe it's chronic and this is him.