Teams on the rise… On the fall

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the responses. I have enjoyed reading your opinions.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Teams on the rise (from 2023):

NY Jets, Atlanta Falcons, Los Angeles Rams, NY Giants, Green Bay

Team on the other side of the interstate:

Dallas, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Buffalo, Jacksonville
I agree with most of that, but not sure about the Giants.

Flint

Pro Bowler
I think the Bills are in some trouble, not just because of Diggs leaving this morning. They got rid of a bunch of vets that have defined their team for years. Now their hand is all but forced to take a WR with their first pick, as they have a pretty damn bad group of WR's at the moment. I also think that the Bears have a legit shot at Wild Card next season. They weren't terrible last season and they will have improved by a margin this offseason.
Whatever happened to Von Miller, man the rams dodged a bullet on that one.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think more NFC teams repeat the playoffs than AFC.

At this point of things, anyway.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I think more NFC teams repeat the playoffs than AFC.

At this point of things, anyway.
I agree. I don’t see much significant improvement from the NFC teams that didn’t make the playoffs.

Atlanta made some strides, but it’s difficult to gauge with an incoming coaching staff. Really makes you appreciate the McVay regime.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can see Houston being a disappointment. Sure, they had a great season in 2023, had 2nd best rookie, and the head coach seems to be the guy. But.... they came out of nowhere, now teams have tape on Stroud and they wont be taken lightly

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
The 49ers are returning most players from 2023. I think they have to be considered NFC favorites based on that. But with their cap issues depth is gonna be pretty thin if they suffer injuries. That could drop them back to the rest of the pack.

Detroit is gonna be good. They have one of the best offenses in the league with their skill players. If they improve their defense I can see them overtaking the 49ers. If they secure number one seed I can see them getting to the Superbowl.

Packers were better than expected with Jordan Love. Time will tell if he continues to ascend. They lost Aaron Jones but picked up Josh Jacobs.

Dallas will probably be among the top 3 or 4. I'm guessing they win the division again. Philly was a mess and no idea if they can find their mojo again.

49ers are gonna have a tough time defending their division with the Rams on their tail. Rams are gonna have a very good offense this year. If the defense can keep them from getting into shootouts every week they can win 12 games or more.
I am hoping that the Aiyuk contract issue dissolves into a trade as has been suggested/reported. That would leave them with a big hole. Of course, they will try to fill it in the draft this year as they somehow have a ton of picks, not to mention the most pro bowlers in the league. Hate isn't nearly a strong enough word.
Whatever happened to Von Miller, man the rams dodged a bullet on that one.
Not only does he not contribute AT ALL, but, it appears he is also a scum bag based upon his most recent accusation (felony assault on pregnant GF). Accused is not guilty, but, I'm certain there was some evidence since they did arrest him.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I can see Houston being a disappointment. Sure, they had a great season in 2023, had 2nd best rookie, and the head coach seems to be the guy. But.... they came out of nowhere, now teams have tape on Stroud and they wont be taken lightly
I see what you did there ;)

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I am hoping that the Aiyuk contract issue dissolves into a trade as has been suggested/reported.
I'll even take a disgruntled Aiyuk for a season, questioning how much effort he's being paid to produce. That'll present them with an even bigger problem. Do they pay him enough to keep him happy for the length of the contract?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think they're a definite playoff team. But it's a lot easier to be a surprise playoff team than it is to transition from a playoff team to a true contender.

If their QB continues to do the work then I think they'll make that. If he lets that success go to his head though, yeah, this league can eat your ass quickly. Defenses are too specialized and as they find chinks in what you do they force you into it more and more.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I think SF ends up giving Aiyuk a big extension. Deebo's not the same guy he was 3 years ago. Kittle will be 31 this season. McCaffrey at 28 is at the age where heavily used backs tend to wear down. Aiyuk is entering his prime. Really the only guy they have that can consistently run good routes and give Purdy an option further downfield.

They went through similar drama situation with Deebo and ended up giving him what he wanted. In the long run a big contract for Aiyuk could be the final nail in the coffin for crippling their cap for several years. They've got some mighty big cap numbers in 2025. I have no problem with them giving Aiyuk what he wants. After their annual choke job in the playoffs I can see them making some unpopular cuts next offseason.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Looking at last year’s playoff teams:
AFC: steelers and browns out, bengals and jets in.
NFC: bucs and eagles out, falcons and bears in.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Looking at last year’s playoff teams:
AFC: steelers and browns out, bengals and jets in.
NFC: bucs and eagles out, falcons and bears in.
Yes And No GIF

:D

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Cody Benjamin must read ROD. :D

Bastard had to crap on the Rams. Lame reason too… when you consider JG is among the best backups a team could hope for.

Projecting six NFL playoff teams primed to miss cut in 2024: Buccaneers, Steelers could lose their spots​

Every year, 14 of the NFL's 32 teams make the playoffs. And on average, only about half of them return the following year. The other half are replaced, with something like six new contenders on an annual basis. It's a true testament to the league's parity, and perhaps the greatest argument for the existing salary cap, which requires all franchises to restock and rebuild.

As we look ahead to the 2024 season, some teams already seem primed to return to the dance after missing the postseason a year ago. Think Kirk Cousin's Atlanta Falcons, or the rehabbing Cincinnati Bengals. But which clubs may be in danger of dropping out of the playoffs? Here's our early rundown of six candidates to miss out on the postseason despite making it in 2023:

Cleveland Browns

2023 finish: 11-6 (0-1) | Last non-playoff season: 2022

On paper, they should be even better this year, with Deshaun Watson coming off a lingering shoulder injury and Jerry Jeudy plugged in alongside Amari Cooper out wide. The defense also remains legit. But Watson has played just 12 games in the last two years, and he hasn't been an above-average passer in four. Everything rides on him.

Dallas Cowboys

2023 finish: 12-5 (0-1) | Last non-playoff season: 2020

They've still got elite play-makers on both sides of the ball, but Jerry Jones is all but forcing his quarterback-head coach duo into an ultimatum season, with Dak Prescott and Mike McCarthy under pressure to make a deep run. Meanwhile Prescott's O-line has real questions, the defense has new management, and they've not upgraded skill spots.

Los Angeles Rams

2023 finish: 10-7 (0-1) | Last non-playoff season: 2022

This is the toughest call here, because they showed a ton of long-term potential in 2023, the breakout year for young stars like Kyren Williams, Puka Nacua and Co. But they're still betting a lot on the availability of a now-36-year-old Matthew Stafford, who's missed multiple starts in three of his last five seasons. New backup Jimmy Garoppolo is even more injury-prone.

Miami Dolphins

2023 finish: 11-6 (0-1) | Last non-playoff season: 2021

When firing on all cylinders, Mike McDaniel's offense is video game-esque, but the big-game questions surrounding Tua Tagovailoa's off-script upside remain, and his O-line is now thinner. So too is the defensive front, with Christian Wilkins gone. The rival New York Jets, meanwhile, are due for a leap with a healthy Aaron Rodgers.

Pittsburgh Steelers

Wait, what? Didn't this team just acquire not one but two big-name quarterbacks? Yes. And both Russell Wilson and Justin Fields have the tools to be upgrades on the jettisoned Kenny Pickett. But this is still an old-school program married to conservative strategy in a tough division, with holes at premium spots like wideout and cornerback.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

2023 finish: 9-8 (1-1) | Last non-playoff season: 2019

Surprisingly, they have the longest playoff streak of any team on this list. And yet that speaks mostly to the painful lack of competition in the NFC South. They did excel at retaining key players this offseason, but are we giving them too much credit for "running it back" as opposed to upgrading a borderline wild-card lineup?

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Cody Benjamin must read ROD. :D

Bastard had to crap on the Rams. Lame reason too… when you consider JG is among the best backups a team could hope for.

Projecting six NFL playoff teams primed to miss cut in 2024: Buccaneers, Steelers could lose their spots​

Every year, 14 of the NFL's 32 teams make the playoffs. And on average, only about half of them return the following year. The other half are replaced, with something like six new contenders on an annual basis. It's a true testament to the league's parity, and perhaps the greatest argument for the existing salary cap, which requires all franchises to restock and rebuild.

As we look ahead to the 2024 season, some teams already seem primed to return to the dance after missing the postseason a year ago. Think Kirk Cousin's Atlanta Falcons, or the rehabbing Cincinnati Bengals. But which clubs may be in danger of dropping out of the playoffs? Here's our early rundown of six candidates to miss out on the postseason despite making it in 2023:

Cleveland Browns

2023 finish: 11-6 (0-1) | Last non-playoff season: 2022

On paper, they should be even better this year, with Deshaun Watson coming off a lingering shoulder injury and Jerry Jeudy plugged in alongside Amari Cooper out wide. The defense also remains legit. But Watson has played just 12 games in the last two years, and he hasn't been an above-average passer in four. Everything rides on him.

Dallas Cowboys

2023 finish: 12-5 (0-1) | Last non-playoff season: 2020

They've still got elite play-makers on both sides of the ball, but Jerry Jones is all but forcing his quarterback-head coach duo into an ultimatum season, with Dak Prescott and Mike McCarthy under pressure to make a deep run. Meanwhile Prescott's O-line has real questions, the defense has new management, and they've not upgraded skill spots.

Los Angeles Rams

This is the toughest call here, because they showed a ton of long-term potential in 2023, the breakout year for young stars like Kyren Williams, Puka Nacua and Co. But they're still betting a lot on the availability of a now-36-year-old Matthew Stafford, who's missed multiple starts in three of his last five seasons. New backup Jimmy Garoppolo is even more injury-prone.

Miami Dolphins

2023 finish: 11-6 (0-1) | Last non-playoff season: 2021

When firing on all cylinders, Mike McDaniel's offense is video game-esque, but the big-game questions surrounding Tua Tagovailoa's off-script upside remain, and his O-line is now thinner. So too is the defensive front, with Christian Wilkins gone. The rival New York Jets, meanwhile, are due for a leap with a healthy Aaron Rodgers.

Pittsburgh Steelers

Wait, what? Didn't this team just acquire not one but two big-name quarterbacks? Yes. And both Russell Wilson and Justin Fields have the tools to be upgrades on the jettisoned Kenny Pickett. But this is still an old-school program married to conservative strategy in a tough division, with holes at premium spots like wideout and cornerback.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

2023 finish: 9-8 (1-1) | Last non-playoff season: 2019

Surprisingly, they have the longest playoff streak of any team on this list. And yet that speaks mostly to the painful lack of competition in the NFC South. They did excel at retaining key players this offseason, but are we giving them too much credit for "running it back" as opposed to upgrading a borderline wild-card lineup?
Benjamin is a closet Rams hater. Always finds trivial things to lay criticism on anything Rams. He can fuck right off as far as I'm concerned.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Still don't understand why the Falcons are projected for more wins (9.5 to 7.5) than the Rams. When did Cousins suddenly become a better QB than Stafford, I must have missed something?
Probably more of the division they play in