Team decision?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ellard80

Legend
McVay in the post game saying how it was all the team's decision to go for it on 4th down.

But then Goff in the post game presser saying "I was out talking to the Ref... then it was like oh we are going for it."

I think this is McVay trying to deflect credit and give it to his team.

I think it was all his call.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Hard to say. He’s an article on it...

http://larrybrownsports.com/football/rams-players-sean-mcvay-go-for-it/467474

Rams players convinced Sean McVay to go for it on risky fourth down call

Los Angeles Rams coach Sean McVay won a lot of plaudits for boldly going for it on 4th and 1 from their own 42 yard line with 1:39 left in the game, converting successfully and clinching a win. However, if you ask him, his players deserve all the credit.

McVay originally had his punt team on the field, but during a Seattle Seahawks timeout, McVay admitted his players successfully lobbied him into making the call.

“Initially we talked about punting it,” McVay said Sunday, via Myles Simmons of the team’s official website. “You look at the belief that they had and how much they wanted to do and because of their belief, it made me feel confident — it made us as a coaching staff feel confident to make that decision.”

The Rams did not let McVay down, as quarterback Jared Goff kept the ball and got the necessary yardage for the first down.

The call was far from a no-brainer. Had the Rams failed, Seattle would have gotten the ball less than ten yards from field goal range, which could have set them up for a game-winning field goal try down 33-31.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll likely deserves a shoutout too.Without him calling timeout, the Rams would have had no chanceto reconsider, and the punt team would have simply done their joband put the onus on the Los Angeles defense with a minute to go.

Ellard80

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It was such a huge call.. but as McVay pointed out in his presser - had they not made it, he likely would have been getting hammered for his decision.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Pretty funny talking about it. If Goff had been stopped, how many would have lost their ever Ram loving minds second guessing the call. I’ll admit that I may have. But this team plays to win and has that mindset that says they can win any play.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Pretty funny talking about it. If Goff had been stopped, how many would have lost their ever Ram loving minds second guessing the call. I’ll admit that I may have. But this team plays to win and has that mindset that says they can win any play.
I wanted them to go for it. I thought it was either get the first down now, or the Seahawks win the game. We weren’t stopping them from getting into field goal position at that point. Wilson is just too good in that last minute survival situation. Plus with the refs up their ass I didn’t trust it. Happy it worked out.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I wanted them to go for it. I thought it was either get the first down now, or the Seahawks win the game. We weren’t stopping them from getting into field goal position at that point. Wilson is just too good in that last minute survival situation. Plus with the refs up their ass I didn’t trust it. Happy it worked out.

A little reminiscent of a fake punt in seattle a few years ago, with Benny Cunningham being the hero.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2 to 3 years ago, we most likely would have had a false start and then had to punt. Love this team!

Ram65

Legend
It was fourth and inches. Seemed like a quick snap that helped get the first down. I don't know what I would have done. Going for it took some guts but, again it was inches. Had it been 2-3 feet that might have been a different story.

fearsomefour

Legend
I did not want them punting.
The D was struggling on the road with a chance to take a commanding division lead.....go for the kill.

Psycho_X

Legend
Jeff Fisher played to not lose. Sean McVay plays to win. I'll take McVay's approach everyday and twice on Sunday.

Hell just the week before people were talking about Jeff Fisher's broadcast debut where he said Sam Darnold going three and out was a win for the Jets, lol. And that the Jaguars kicking a field goal instead of going on 4th and 1 when they were on a hot streak and says “This game is going to be about field goals,” is all you need to know about how far this team has come in just over one year.

Even if we don't get that first down I'm ok with it after the shit we've put up with for over a decade.

tempests

Hall of Fame
QB sneaks on 4th and inches have like an 80% conversion rate. That was the play.

Couldn't believe they were going to give the ball back to Russell Wilson with all that time on the clock and a mere two point deficit.

Rainram

Starter
Had Santos not missed the extra point, and it was a 3 point game, I think he would have punted.

(I just wonder if it was more of “Being aggressive and having faith in the offense” or “having little faith that turns defense couldn’t keep the Seahawks from driving about 50-60 yards in a minute and half with no timeouts”)

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think that Goff went back onto the field to talk to the official again, which then caused the offense to start to go out on the field. I think either Saffold or Whitworth said that they were lobbying McVay and then just started to go out onto the field anyway to sort of force it.

My best guess for the timeline:
McVay originally was thinking punt, but the offense wanted to go for it.
Goff went to go and talk to the official for a second
The offense, seeing Goff out there started to slowly make their way onto the field
McVay figures if they wanna go for it, might as well let them, time is running out anyway.
Goff, heading back to the sideline see's everyone coming back out and goes to McVay
McVay tells him they're going for it, so Goff starts to head back out again
Goff stops for a second and goes back to McVay for the call
McVay calls the QB sneak and tells him to punch it over.

During the game you can see Goff is already out there, before sort of going back and forth to McVay for a second and you see McVay tell him they're going for it, so my guess is that when Goff went to talk to the official the rest of the offense thought he was forcing McVay to go for it, which ended up forcing McVay to go for it, which he was all for.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...convinced-sean-mcvay-to-go-for-it-on-4th-down

Rams convinced Sean McVay to go for it on 4th down

• 0ap1000000236552.jpg
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: Oct. 8, 2018 at 11:20 a.m.

Sean McVay was going to punt the ball back to Russell Wilson in Seattle with the game on the line.

Then his players changed his mind.

"Initially we talked about punting it," McVay said after Sunday's 33-31 win over the Seahawks, via the Rams' official team website. "You look at the belief that they had and how much they wanted to do and because of their belief, it made me feel confident -- it made us as a coaching staff feel confident to make that decision."

Rams players were insistent they could pick up the six inches for a first down despite Todd Gurley being stuffed on the previous play. With 1:39 left in the game on their own side of the field, L.A. wanted to play for the win.

"We wanted to go for it," right tackle Rob Havenstein said.

"I was actually sitting on the bench with my helmet on the ground, then I realized the whole offense was out there, so I took off running," left tackle Andrew Whitworth added. "I was already pouting -- I was in full pout mode on the sideline and then realized the whole offense was out there, so I took off running."

McVay had the punt team on the field when Pete Carroll called a timeout to preserve 30-plus seconds. The pause in action allowed the Rams' coach to revisit his decision.

"I can't remember why -- I think during a T.V. timeout, maybe they called a timeout -- I can't remember, we had a lot of time to decide," quarterback Jared Goff said. "He was kind of going back and forth. I was off [the field] -- I thought we were punting. I went back on the field just to talk to one of the officials about something and as I'm turning around, the offense is running back on. So I was like, 'OK, I guess we are going for it.'"

Goff easily made the line to gain on a QB sneak, giving L.A. a first down. With Seattle out of timeouts, the QB kneeled out the rest of the time to secure the division win.

McVay added that his decision had nothing to do with how his defense played Sunday, giving up big plays to Wilson and allowing 31 points.

"I think really if you look at how much space there was -- it was six inches," McVay said. "While you do have confidence in our defense's ability to close that out and win it, we felt like as a coaching staff and as a team, that if you have to get six inches to win a football game, what better opportunity is there going to be, rather than punting and the variables that can come in. When we felt like we had an opportunity to close that game there, that's what we felt like was best. It goes back to the players' ability to deliver."

Any narrative involving McVay not trusting his defense is hogwash. If anything, the decision displayed confidence not only for the offense but for his D too. Had Goff been stopped, the Rams' defense would have needed multiple stuffs to get the Seahawks out of field-goal range.

McVay made the calculated decision to play for the win. Too often coaches get conservative and allow opponents the opportunity to snatch a win. Wilson himself has come back countless times in those exact situations.

Ellard80

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Oh yes the second guessing would have been inevitable.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i was more perplexed when they didn't have the same call after they overturned gurley's td and placed the ball inches from the endzone. they should have sneaked that one in as well.

i was so happy when they went for it at the end. we all knew the d wasn't stopping the hags from getting into fg range.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Any narrative involving McVay not trusting his defense is hogwash. If anything, the decision displayed confidence not only for the offense but for his D too. Had Goff been stopped, the Rams' defense would have needed multiple stuffs to get the Seahawks out of field-goal range.

This defense has a knack for stepping up at critical times in the games.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I was glad McVay sent his offense out to go for it, but I also thought that maybe they were going to try and draw them offsides and accept the penalty, and then let Hekker boom away. Needless to say Hekker wasn't needed, as he just not feeling needed lately. Good thing he knows how to hold.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's all about percentages. We had a higher percentage of success with going for that than we did of stopping them.

The Browns faced a 4th and inches against the Raiders on their own 11 yard line or so up by 8 and I think they should have gone for it. I think after McVay doing this more coaches will do it.