Tavon Tavon Tavon

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

nighttrain

Legend
I thought he was getting 5 mill up front and has 3 mill in incentives he can get with his play?
5 mil was what he was owed if he played under old contract, if cut he was owed 3 mil, he agreed to stay and play for the 3 mil
train

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I thought he was getting 5 mill up front and has 3 mill in incentives he can get with his play?
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/tavon-austin-12288/
Tavon Austin signed a 1 year, $5,000,000 contract with the Los Angeles Rams, including $5,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $5,000,000. In 2018, Austin will earn a base salary of $5,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $5,000,000 and a dead cap value of $5,000,000.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
5 mil was what he was owed if he played under old contract, if cut he was owed 3 mil, he agreed to stay and play for the 3 mil
train

He was owed a $5 million bonus, plus if he were still on the roster his $3 million salary would have been guaranteed, with future unguaranteed seasons. They redid the contract, so it's over after this season, he is guaranteed $5 million, and there are $3 million in bonuses. They haven't released how achievable those bonuses are. Basically, if McVay can find a way to make good use of him he should get the bonuses I believe, AND will then be in a good position to get another contract from elsewhere.

dang

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
$5M guaranteed now. I believe you are correct on the $3M incentive. Not knowing what the incentives are I would think they are aggressive but achievable. That being the case it’s show or go for Tavon - maybe fighting for any further career options as well.

jap

Legend
Oh.....and work like hell w/ the juggs gun after practice catching the ball.

As important as it is for Tavon to work with the Juggs, it is at least as important fpor him to work on route running . . . to the point that it becomes instinctive to him. He already naturally has the electric change-of-direction quickness and speed to command instant separation from defenders. However, I suspect he is still thinking his way through the routes more often than not.

We used to have a wide receiver, Eddie Kennison, who won the NFL's Fastest Man competition. Nevertheless, with all that Warp speed, Eddie was pitiful at route running because he used to round off his cuts rather than making sharp changes of direction. The rounding off nonsense gave CBs the opportunities to close on him quickly enough to deny the rock, effectively wasting all that God-given speed. I also thought he was thinking his way through his routes too much, which will always slow you down. At the highest (read that: professional) levels, sports athletes need to know their assignments so well they can react almost instinctively to maximize their quickness and speed.

I don't want to see Tavon continue to cripple his route running like Eddie did. He needs to sell CBs n the idea that he is going one way then quickly zip off in the true route and consistently get wide open for easy catches.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I gotta believe with a full off season under McVay Austin has a very good chance to find a role in our offense.
wasn't last year a full season though?
Dude is an awesome running back...great decoy....but he needs another tool....something....I always would say to coach0, why doesn't he run that arrow route? That option route like Danny A/Edelman?
And Yes, I do believe he has the mental capacity to like understand the plays....I just think he runs routes fucked up...no sense of timing....I hate wr's that spend a bunch of time stutter-stepping to get off the line....fucking the rhythm of a play up....
Next time, Elmgrovegnome, try not to hold back. Lol.
I know....I wanted to give him a thread winner, but it was so funny....had to LOL.

I think we'd miss both Tavon and Watkins a bunch....without adequate replacements....Tavon speed helped us run the ball effectively....Watkins speed REALLY helped the passing game. Running effectively helped the passing game.

Ants

Starter
Watch Tavon later in the season against the better defenses. He did not demand much attention. Either it was the good defenses, not worrying about him, or defensive coordinators started to realise that chasing him as a decoy just allowed Gurley to run all over them.

It is too easy to tackle Tavon and unless he gets completely into space he is not that dangerous. In the beginning of the year teams were too worries d about Tavon getting big gains. By years end, he was not used by McVay much because his plays stopped being as affective.

How many years do we keep dreaming that this guy just needs to take the next step. He isn't that smart. He said the playbook was like Chinese. He never learned how to run even one good route. His hands are small and his arms are short and he goes down or out of bounds too easily.

I would rather see someone who can juke and break tackles and catch the ball out of the backfield and run some routes. Tavon is very limited.

Agree. Still, since he's still on the team this season I'm going to hold onto some hope that he can improve.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
As important as it is for Tavon to work with the Juggs, it is at least as important fpor him to work on route running . . . to the point that it becomes instinctive to him. He already naturally has the electric change-of-direction quickness and speed to command instant separation from defenders. However, I suspect he is still thinking his way through the routes more often than not.

We used to have a wide receiver, Eddie Kennison, who won the NFL's Fastest Man competition. Nevertheless, with all that Warp speed, Eddie was pitiful at route running because he used to round off his cuts rather than making sharp changes of direction. The rounding off nonsense gave CBs the opportunities to close on him quickly enough to deny the rock.

I don't want to see Tavon cripple his route running like Eddie did. He needs to sell CBs n the idea that he is going one way then quickly zip off in the true route and consistently get wide open for easy catches.

I wouldn't disagree with you too much. Except, they will not use him as a traditional WR. Jet Sweeps, bubble screens, release routes where he could be utilized in space. His problem right now, is he wants the "home run" play every time out. And if one comes every 30 touches (a great ratio and probably actually higher than his actual #s.......158 touches over last 2 years and 5 TDs), the other 29 don't look real good as losses or no gains. Our offense is one where it constantly attacks weaknesses in the defense. Negative plays puts us in bad down and distance. Getting positive yardage every play, still stresses the defense. Yes, it's not the big play. But that is the best way to use him. He'll never be that guy who lines up and creates separation based on his route.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Here is my simplified scouting report on Tavon after watching him for 5 years.

He was, and is, a track star masquerading as a football player. Oh, and a not-so-bright one, at that.

The End.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn’t it?

dang

Legend
Here is my simplified scouting report on Tavon after watching him for 5 years.

He was, and is, a track star masquerading as a football player. Oh, and a not-so-bright one, at that.

The End.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn’t it?
Track stars run straight lines. Tavon brings more than just straight line speed but I do agree his product needs to evolve or he will be zig zagging in the spring league.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
These threads are so tired honestly. Before McVay this offense was putrid, let's be honest. Yet somehow from 2013-2017 before the new offense he had 24 total TD's. Which nobody else on the team was anywhere near. He's got a 6.7 avg per rush in his career and he's done all that on what is minimal attempts. Yet all people do is complain how much he made. The rams are the ones that gave him that money but barely tried to get him into the offense. I don't think he's worth $14M a year either but it's not his fault he got that much. Sammy Watkins got a killing for not doing much either.
I would bet my job if TA got 100 touches a year his stats would be way better.
He's now on a $5M prove it deal. So can we just let it play out and give the guy a break already. One thing I know is he's been a great teammate despite seeing his role diminish.

jap

Legend
I wouldn't disagree with you too much. Except, they will not use him as a traditional WR. Jet Sweeps, bubble screens, release routes where he could be utilized in space. His problem right now, is he wants the "home run" play every time out. And if one comes every 30 touches (a great ratio and probably actually higher than his actual #s.......158 touches over last 2 years and 5 TDs), the other 29 don't look real good as losses or no gains. Our offense is one where it constantly attacks weaknesses in the defense. Negative plays puts us in bad down and distance. Getting positive yardage every play, still stresses the defense. Yes, it's not the big play. But that is the best way to use him. He'll never be that guy who lines up and creates separation based on his route.

I do not expect them to use him as a traditional receiver much of the time. He will still be a gadget player deluxe. I just feel that if he can learn to execute his routes instinctively so that he explodes out of his cuts to create instant separation, he will be a much more viable receiver. You do not have to have the best hands in the world if you know how to get wide open most of the time. He needs to learn patience, how to set up DBs for the home run plays rather than trying for homers every single time. He doesn't have to be a superstar, but he can still become a royal pain in the ass for NFL DCs, and that is all that we need him to be.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Track stars run straight lines. Tavon brings more than just straight line speed but I do agree his product needs to evolve or he will be zig zagging in the spring league.

He’s had 2 HC’s, 4 OC’s, I lost count of the QB’s, and 5 years in the NFL, dang. I think the jury has a verdict.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
you remind me of....somebody....ME...and Quick....is that really how I sound/read?????

whinny mf...not you denver ram....ME!!!!!

You know what.....never again will I defend Brian Quick in these threads....NEVER....

But I still got a thing for G-Rob.....so, until we get a stud tackle....I'm all watching Havenstein....Brown....and even yall hero, Big Whit:cool:

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
That track star masquerading as a football player scored 10 TDs in his last healthy season.

He also masqueraded his way to 500+ all purpose yards against Oklahoma.

But yeah, sure. He offers nothing... smh.

dang

Legend
These threads are so tired honestly. Before McVay this offense was putrid, let's be honest. Yet somehow from 2013-2017 before the new offense he had 24 total TD's. Which nobody else on the team was anywhere near. He's got a 6.7 avg per rush in his career and he's done all that on what is minimal attempts. Yet all people do is complain how much he made. The rams are the ones that gave him that money but barely tried to get him into the offense. I don't think he's worth $14M a year either but it's not his fault he got that much. Sammy Watkins got a killing for not doing much either.
He's now on a $5M prove it deal. So can we just let it play out and give the guy a break already. One thing I know is he's been a great teammate despite seeing his role diminish.
Dude. Giving Tavon another look and forgetting about any wasted $$$ is what this thread is about. There is NOTHING gained by releasing him now. There may be SOMETHING gained by trying to tap into his skillset this offseason/next year. I love what the Rams did last year on offense but I am all in on building the perfect beast with 25 offensive team members contributing significantly when called upon.

London59

Rookie
Name
London59
I just caught some of the Rams Cowboys replay. I didn’t see Tavon do anything special or detrimental on punt returns but he was a very nice presence on offense. Not only did he have several nice runs but he caught the attention of the Dallas defense to set up other plays. Most notably on the Goff to Gurley 50 yard td. I gotta believe with a full off season under McVay Austin has a very good chance to find a role in our offense. And with only incentive $$$ in the balance it’s pay for play time. Austin appears to understand that and has the tools to make a good go of it. I also think McVay has to take advantage of Austin’s speed on more sweeps screens and rub routes.

If Tavon would make a real effort to run north and south vs east and west he could be a weapon. He has fallen in love with making people miss and then running out of bounds for little or no gain. I have seen him act fired up about 2 and 3 yd gains where he jukes, avoids a hit and races out of bounds. On those plays 5 yds or more were available if he simply just used a one cut and go mentality.

Hopefully they can convince him by showing tape how many yds and possible big plays he left on the table by rarely turning up field.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I just think that we have seen all that he has to give. At this point improvement is unlikely.
You may be right but what we do know is that none of the offensive players including Tavon got any better under the Fisher tree. Tavon was hurt all through camp and IMO didn't really get folded into the new offense at all.

Sounds like alot of excuses but i'm very interested to see how a healthy Tavon performs in camp this year...and year two camp for all the other young and old guys. There was next to zero offensive coaching going on before McV arrived.