Tavon Tavon Tavon

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
I just caught some of the Rams Cowboys replay. I didn’t see Tavon do anything special or detrimental on punt returns but he was a very nice presence on offense. Not only did he have several nice runs but he caught the attention of the Dallas defense to set up other plays. Most notably on the Goff to Gurley 50 yard td. I gotta believe with a full off season under McVay Austin has a very good chance to find a role in our offense. And with only incentive $$$ in the balance it’s pay for play time. Austin appears to understand that and has the tools to make a good go of it. I also think McVay has to take advantage of Austin’s speed on more sweeps screens and rub routes.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just caught some of the Rams Cowboys replay. I didn’t see Tavon do anything special or detrimental on punt returns but he was a very nice presence on offense. Not only did he have several nice runs but he caught the attention of the Dallas defense to set up other plays. Most notably on the Goff to Gurley 50 yard td. I gotta believe with a full off season under McVay Austin has a very good chance to find a role in our offense. And with only incentive $$$ in the balance it’s pay for play time. Austin appears to understand that and has the tools to make a good go of it. I also think McVay has to take advantage of Austin’s speed on more sweeps screens and rub routes.
I caught the replay too. The play before Gurley’s TD they handed off to Tavon for a nice gain.

Psycho_X

Legend
Tavon is absolutely useful to our offense in many ways. It's just that his salary was way over what he was bringing to the team. But I am actually happy they restructured and kept him. McVay will still use him in ways to set up Gurley and the rest of the offense. We are better with him than without if salaries weren't a consideration. Maybe they can find a bigger role for him this next season and he'll become a staple for years to come. If not we get an extra season to find replacements.

jap

Legend
I am just waiting to see the Jared to Tavon rapport emerging in TC and on into the 2018 season. I hope Jared will spend extra time working with Tavon to ensure that combo works well. Jared has the arm strength, accuracy, and finesses touch to find tiny Tavon consistently deep amongst the DB 'trees.' Jared found Tavon in the 1st half of the game against New Orleans in his rookie season with a nice finesse throw over the NO DB and into the hands of Tavon who had beaten the DB. I doubt any other Horns QB of the past decade could have completed that pass.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Watch Tavon later in the season against the better defenses. He did not demand much attention. Either it was the good defenses, not worrying about him, or defensive coordinators started to realise that chasing him as a decoy just allowed Gurley to run all over them.

It is too easy to tackle Tavon and unless he gets completely into space he is not that dangerous. In the beginning of the year teams were too worries d about Tavon getting big gains. By years end, he was not used by McVay much because his plays stopped being as affective.

How many years do we keep dreaming that this guy just needs to take the next step. He isn't that smart. He said the playbook was like Chinese. He never learned how to run even one good route. His hands are small and his arms are short and he goes down or out of bounds too easily.

I would rather see someone who can juke and break tackles and catch the ball out of the backfield and run some routes. Tavon is very limited.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Watch Tavon later in the season against the better defenses. He did not demand much attention. Either it was the good defenses, not worrying about him, or defensive coordinators started to realise that chasing him as a decoy just allowed Gurley to run all over them.

It is too easy to tackle Tavon and unless he gets completely into space he is not that dangerous. In the beginning of the year teams were too worries d about Tavon getting big gains. By years end, he was not used by McVay much because his plays stopped being as affective.

How many years do we keep dreaming that this guy just needs to take the next step. He isn't that smart. He said the playbook was like Chinese. He never learned how to run even one good route. His hands are small and his arms are short and he goes down or out of bounds too easily.

I would rather see someone who can juke and break tackles and catch the ball out of the backfield and run some routes. Tavon is very limited.

Next time, Elmgrovegnome, try not to hold back. Lol.

jjab360

Legend

Harsh but true.

Tavon has rare quickness but not much else to offer. Pharoh doesn't have his straight line speed, but showed the vision and decisiveness last year on returns that we've been looking for from TA since draft day. I'm pretty sure he could effectively replace TA on offense as well.

dang

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The point I was trying to make is I hope McVay and Austin find a way to establish a role. I trust they both will sincerely try. We all know Tavon's shortcomings but I was reminded by watching the Dallas game that he has skills that could add value to our arsenal.

Fiberop

UDFA
Tavon is absolutely useful to our offense in many ways. It's just that his salary was way over what he was bringing to the team. But I am actually happy they restructured and kept him. McVay will still use him in ways to set up Gurley and the rest of the offense. We are better with him than without if salaries weren't a consideration. Maybe they can find a bigger role for him this next season and he'll become a staple for years to come. If not we get an extra season to find replacements.
What are the details of the restructuring?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Oh Lord another Tavon thread

But a positive one. And not whining about a contract.

tavon.gif

Psycho_X

Legend
What are the details of the restructuring?

They nullified the remaining years down to just this season and basically paid him equivalent to what his cap hit was going to be anyway if we had cut him (about $5 million). So we keep him one more year for what he was going to cost us no matter what happened, he gets paid more this season than another team probably would have offered on open market, and he gets to hit free agency next offseason for a new contract still.

Fiberop

UDFA
They nullified the remaining years down to just this season and basically paid him equivalent to what his cap hit was going to be anyway if we had cut him (about $5 million). So we keep him one more year for what he was going to cost us no matter what happened, he gets paid more this season than another team probably would have offered on open market, and he gets to hit free agency next offseason for a new contract still.
Thanks dude. I just found that other thread. Glad It's a one year deal and only costs us 5 mill.

dang

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Until the Rams determine they have all the weapons that they need (replacement for Watkins in red zone/over the middle, improved TE receiving) they need to keep Austin. He was effective at times last year as a runner and throughout the year as a decoy. McVay and Austin seemed to give up making it happen towards middle of the year but as a runner he averaged 4.5 yards. When he had 6 or more carries it was 5.5 yards per carry. If the Rams can work that in and occasionally get him on perimeter with a reception he could be a (not the) weapon they need.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
The key to Tavon being effective lies within Tavon. He needs to quit trying to make people miss and pick a line and use his speed. He still is one of the faster players in the league. But his obsessive "dancing" simply allows defenses to catch up. But when he puts a foot in the ground and goes, very few can keep up. Maybe it's only 6 yards here or 8 yards there, but that will take some of the focus away from Gurley and unpack the middle. But that is up to Tavon and McVay to make that happen. His jet sweep dance-a-thon for a 4 yard loss isn't going to cut it.

Oh.....and work like hell w/ the juggs gun after practice catching the ball.