Tavon Austin - Wrong Approach?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I don't think it's that simple to say put Tavon in the slot, put him outside, put Sted in the slot. Each play is gonna be different, and each WR might be in a different place to best take advantage of w/e the opposing defense is doing.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I wanted to voice my opinion after reviewing Tavon's film some over the past few weeks that I think the Rams might be taking the wrong approach with our young WR. Here are his stats from his rookie year:
Slot
52 targets
30 receptions
57.7%
207 yards
6.9 YPC
2 TDs

Outside
13 targets
10 receptions
76.9%
211 yards
21.1 YPC
2 TDs

If you count the 63 yard TD that got called back for tripping(by LT Jake Long) against Carolina, his OUTSIDE stats were:
14 targets
11 receptions
78.6%
274 yards
24.9 YPC
3 TDs

I personally think that Austin should be used more in a DeSean Jackson type role instead of the Rams trying to use him like Amendola.

I also wasn't able to count the deep ball where Austin burnt Jason McCourty of Tennessee but Kellen overthrew him and the deep post he ran against Atlanta that Sam put in the wrong spot and was knocked away.

I think we're taking the wrong approach with Tavon. The kid is a dynamite deep threat, he can run routes and he can beat the press. We should be playing him outside as our Z WR and only moving him inside when it is necessary to get our best WRs on the field in the best spots.

I totally agree with you Jrry. Austin is a much better weapon on the outside.

I am editing to add that if the Rams kept a TE in the slot that can run and catch then that frees up some more of the field for Austin. He needs space and he can shake guys off if he has room to move. Where he has not excelled is when he is in heavy traffic because he goes down pretty easily (by design to save injury IMO) when he has guys too close to him.

A good running game should help him with this too but either way sending him over the middle in traffic is not the best way to use Tavon.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
While the numbers look good it was a VERY small sample size. I look forward to seeing how things shake out next year with a full off season and TA's second year in the offense along with a full year of playing with Bradford

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Tavon Austin is Schotty's offseason homework assignment. Or at least he should be.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think it's that simple to say put Tavon in the slot, put him outside, put Sted in the slot. Each play is gonna be different, and each WR might be in a different place to best take advantage of w/e the opposing defense is doing.

It's not about being simple but it is about saying, this is where I think he should line up most of the time.

Got off topic a bit! Put Tavon in motion or stack him behind Cook and get him free that way. They'll figure it out this year!

I agree. When I was watching NE play, it seemed like they always stacked or bunched WRs on key 3rd downs and they usually had at least 1 WR open on the play.

Why not Cook? He's really just a large WR. He operates in the slot a lot. He's not the best blocker so I don't think they'd miss him at TE. I know it'll never happen but I think it could work.

I'm sure Cook will play the slot some as he did this year. I was thinking more from the WR corp mind-set.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
You draft Tavon Austin to have a matchup nightmare. ANYWHERE on the field. You can take advantage of this by putting him in motion. Something he can do from any position on the field. He can do it all, and you must use him as such, even as a decoy. If not you're wasting his talent and therefor the value of our pick. He needs to be a MAJOR part of this offense.

How not to use Tavon Austin... Strictly on end around and a handful of gadget plays originally designed for Chris Johnson when Fisher was in Tennessee. A single carry out of the backfield, every 3 games. They also get content with him. He hits one big play and Schotty shies away as if he's done his job with Austin that game, and now he can go back to the normal offense.

I've watched the tape on Austin too. Trust me, we did not waste a pick no this kid. There was times he was missed completely open. He progressed great as the season went along too.

The truth of it is though, nothing will change. However, I do think that we still will get enough big plays with him on STs and just with him at WR. We won't come near utilizing his full potential again though.