Tavon Austin - Wrong Approach?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wanted to voice my opinion after reviewing Tavon's film some over the past few weeks that I think the Rams might be taking the wrong approach with our young WR. Here are his stats from his rookie year:
Slot
52 targets
30 receptions
57.7%
207 yards
6.9 YPC
2 TDs

Outside
13 targets
10 receptions
76.9%
211 yards
21.1 YPC
2 TDs

If you count the 63 yard TD that got called back for tripping(by LT Jake Long) against Carolina, his OUTSIDE stats were:
14 targets
11 receptions
78.6%
274 yards
24.9 YPC
3 TDs

I personally think that Austin should be used more in a DeSean Jackson type role instead of the Rams trying to use him like Amendola.

I also wasn't able to count the deep ball where Austin burnt Jason McCourty of Tennessee but Kellen overthrew him and the deep post he ran against Atlanta that Sam put in the wrong spot and was knocked away.

I think we're taking the wrong approach with Tavon. The kid is a dynamite deep threat, he can run routes and he can beat the press. We should be playing him outside as our Z WR and only moving him inside when it is necessary to get our best WRs on the field in the best spots.

moklerman

Warner-phile
So does Quick move inside? I could see him working well in the slot and maybe that would challenge him to be aggressive at catching the ball.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So does Quick move inside? I could see him working well in the slot and maybe that would challenge him to be aggressive at catching the ball.

More likely Pettis. Stedman Bailey is another possibility but he seemed to do quite well outside.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i'd like to see quick stay where he is and let Sam hit him every time he's open, if possible. We'll know soon enough how the Rams feel about it.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I think we just need to see more Tovon, period. HB, KR, PR, WO, Slot... all of it.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Dan Shonka said a few weeks ago that the problem is Schotty. He doesn't know how to use Tavon. When I asked him if the Rams were better off adding Watkins or Evans, Shonka said the best move would be a new OC.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'm down with using Tavon outside pretty much always have been, he may have trouble getting off the line a little but IMO his speed would be so intimidating DC's would be hard pressed to stack the box with him out there and when they did, I don't think there is anyone who can keep him from getting deep legally. But I'm a fan who sees moving and playing people from the fantasy numbers perspective.

The idea that people don't know how to use him is pretty hard for me to swallow, Shotty had not just cats but kittens to heard our skill position players if we don't change them at all would still be the youngest in the league two years from now.In some regards we're talking about hammering a 1st grade teacher cuz the kids don't have calculus down.
I wonder why Dan Shonka can see that and Fisher can't, Shonka's job doesn't depend on having an accurate objective view of Shotty and FWIW Fisher has a budget for assistants where if he sees someone he thinks is better he can spend the money to get them.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I think Bailey in the slot would be ideal! Not that Cook or Quick would be bad, just seems like Bailey is our best possession receiver. JMO

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dan Shonka said a few weeks ago that the problem is Schotty. He doesn't know how to use Tavon. When I asked him if the Rams were better off adding Watkins or Evans, Shonka said the best move would be a new OC.

I don't even think it's that hard to figure out how to use him. Start out using him as a Z WR like you would a DeSean Jackson or Mike Wallace then build from there with maybe a few plays in the back-field as well as some misdirection reverse or end-around type plays. Establish him as a threat outside before you try to use misdirection plays.

What type of routes should he run?
-Go
-Hitch
-Curl
-Comeback
-Drag
-Crosser
-Speed out
-Out
-Slant(on occasion)
-Flag
-Double moves

Really, the only routes I'd stay away from would be the red-zone fade, in, dig, etc. Basically jump ball routes or routes where he'll get blown up going over the middle.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think Bailey in the slot would be ideal! Not that Cook or Quick would be bad, just seems like Bailey is our best possession receiver. JMO
Probably is, I'd like to see more of him there,Quick too ,I guess I'm just too optimistic, but I think we may have some people we can trade if we break out next year,scuse me ,may as well say WHEN

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Got off topic a bit! Put Tavon in motion or stack him behind Cook and get him free that way. They'll figure it out this year!

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I am with you on this. I wondered why he wasn't used outside more often as well. Seems every time he was, he got separation. LOTS of it actually. Speed kills, and Tavon is a DB serial killer outside.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Put Tavon on the outside and Cook in the slot, and have Tavon run a go and Cook run a post. If it's 2-deep, the safety can't commit to both.

A55VA6

Legend
I did notice Tavon is better on the outside. It's good to move him around.. but man he really made people look like his bitch on the outside.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I don't even think it's that hard to figure out how to use him. Start out using him as a Z WR like you would a DeSean Jackson or Mike Wallace then build from there with maybe a few plays in the back-field as well as some misdirection reverse or end-around type plays. Establish him as a threat outside before you try to use misdirection plays.

What type of routes should he run?
-Go
-Hitch
-Curl
-Comeback
-Drag
-Crosser
-Speed out
-Out
-Slant(on occasion)
-Flag
-Double moves

Really, the only routes I'd stay away from would be the red-zone fade, in, dig, etc. Basically jump ball routes or routes where he'll get blown up going over the middle.

Well, it's pretty scary if it's not hard to figure out and Schotty still doesn't do it. We'll find out this year.

V3

Hall of Fame
More likely Pettis. Stedman Bailey is another possibility but he seemed to do quite well outside.

Why not Cook? He's really just a large WR. He operates in the slot a lot. He's not the best blocker so I don't think they'd miss him at TE. I know it'll never happen but I think it could work.

V3

Hall of Fame
I wanted to voice my opinion after reviewing Tavon's film some over the past few weeks that I think the Rams might be taking the wrong approach with our young WR. Here are his stats from his rookie year:
Slot
52 targets
30 receptions
57.7%
207 yards
6.9 YPC
2 TDs

Outside
13 targets
10 receptions
76.9%
211 yards
21.1 YPC
2 TDs

If you count the 63 yard TD that got called back for tripping(by LT Jake Long) against Carolina, his OUTSIDE stats were:
14 targets
11 receptions
78.6%
274 yards
24.9 YPC
3 TDs

I personally think that Austin should be used more in a DeSean Jackson type role instead of the Rams trying to use him like Amendola.

I also wasn't able to count the deep ball where Austin burnt Jason McCourty of Tennessee but Kellen overthrew him and the deep post he ran against Atlanta that Sam put in the wrong spot and was knocked away.

I think we're taking the wrong approach with Tavon. The kid is a dynamite deep threat, he can run routes and he can beat the press. We should be playing him outside as our Z WR and only moving him inside when it is necessary to get our best WRs on the field in the best spots.

I thought Austin's routes were pretty bad, TBH. He got held at the line quite a bit, also. Holt and others even talked about this on the radio. Said he looked like a high school player. I think that's why he wasn't as effective at the slot. He's not a good route runner. It should get better with time but I wouldn't say he's good at running routes at this point in time.

A55VA6

Legend
Now post his rushing stats, the YPC is quite impressive. He needs to get more carries too.
Yeah he needs way more touches. Hopefully he puts on some muscle this offseason. I know he said that's a goal of his without losing speed.