Tavon Austin - First 2 games and 4 receiving yards

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I agree the ball was underthrown but you can't assume he would have made the catch if Sherman hadn't interfered. You can't even assume he would have caught the ball if it had been the perfect pass and on time. You can't say a(any) WR would have a ton of yards if things had gone differently or had been perfect. You have to go with what's happened.
Tavon has made a some VERY tough catches. The critical 3rd down against the Hags was a clutch, difficult catch. Hell, his catch against the EZ sideline vs the Falcons in his rookie year was as pretty as they get.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I agree the ball was underthrown but you can't assume he would have made the catch if Sherman hadn't interfered. You can't even assume he would have caught the ball if it had been the perfect pass and on time.
It's not like he has shown a total propensity to drop passes. Just because the dude has dropped a few like ALL receivers, doesn't mean you can't assume he would have caught that pass.

But it really doesn't matter. Are we saying that it is his fault right now that he doesn't have the receiving yards? Are we saying that he was brought in to be that deep threat? Are we saying he is not performing because the Rams haven't been able to get him the ball when open?

When he is in as a receiver his job is to get open and catch the ball when it is thrown to him and to open up the field for other receivers by either occupying more than one defender or stretching the field. Has he failed in doing that this year? If so, I'm not seeing it. What I'm seeing is an offense that has a few receivers with some chunk yards but not much else to show for two games. Did someone think TA was brought in to be our leading receiver? He was brought in to do EXACTLY what he did in the Seattle game and what no one on offense was really doing in the Washington game.

And I don't recall who brought this up but the idea that he scored on a running play where the shecocks had the wrong defense on the field? Seriously? Which defense did they have on the field and who doesn't rely on scoring by designing plays to put the defense in the wrong position? You still need a player that can pull it off. Not many could have done what he did on that play.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
idc about yards
If you don't care about yards, you don't really care about points. Yards gained has a positive correlation to points scored. I'd also guess yards has an effect on time of possession, which leads to fatigue, that everyone says effects scoring. Yards gained has a direct effect on overall team confidence. 3 and outs defenders love, 17 play drives offenses love...Yards has an effect on winning. The top defense in yards allowed just beat us...

@WvuIN02
Fisher has not had the wr's & QB to consistently gain 1000 yards a season. He was leaning this way in 2012 when Tavon was drafted. Foles is a big arm, throw it down the field QB. He's trying to develop the running game, to exploit the play action pass. The rules of today necessitate teams stretch the field vertically. If he's not trying to take advantage of this, he's doomed to fail.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some of you guys crack me up.

Fisher has had like 3 1000 yard season receivers ever in his 20 years coaching. His philosophy of a non passing game trickles down to his teams, he simply does not have that in his DNA and teams reflect their head coach as the saying goes.

To put it in perspective for this week: LeVeon Bell had more receiving yards last year (an effing running back) than ANYONE on this Rams roster. Foles hasnt changed anything. Its like putting a wagon on a racehorse. Thats Fishers MO, and fans continue to ignore it. Fisher is like the guy who still sends handwritten letters because thats how things were done back in his day.

We will see a perfect example of it this week when Todd Haley rolls into town, its the opposite. Big Ben was always a good QB, Haley has made him great.

:LOL:

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I think we were all looking for more of a Brown type when we drafted him, the reality is that he is more of a Sproles type of player - a bit of a gimmick guy that will have some big plays for you and make a difference few times a year, but also completely disappear for games at a time. But he isn't looking like a true WR threat in the traditional sense like maybe we thought he would be, but that doesn't' mean he is a bust. it is more a matter of revising our expectations of him and what his role is. That said it doesn't help that this team still doesn't have a true #1 WR after all the picks spent and the hopes raised...

DenverRam

Starter
I've been a huge ball buster against Austin. Didn't like the pick.

However, he should probably have 150ish yards as a WR if Foles leads his pass into the EZ against the SheHags. Or sees him on the other wide open play.

He's never going to be a feature WR though. Everyone just has to accept it. I knew it the moment he was drafted.
if wes welker can be a feature slot WR, tavon can as well.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I feel ya, and I'm not complaining...Just stating...facts. And unless you have All-22, you really don't know how often he's been open and not targeted....I just can't understand how a guy catches 4 balls, only 4 balls, and is supposed to be some breakout type player...Yes, he has speed. But is he open all the time? I personally am resigned to the fact that he'll always avg. around 8-9 yards per catch, similar to Edelman & Welker...Oh, and like a guy named Danny Amendola. I'd just like his catch numbers, especially on 3rd downs, increase. Be a factor, consistently. Be someone that Foles can rely on. Instead of dumping it off to Benny.

Great points. But unlike Edelman, Welker and Danny, those guy get more than 8 targets because they know how to get open. Austin has some great and unique skills. He needs to be more productive or needs to work on his craft more. He has better skills then the guys you mention just not the production. For all the talk last year and this year about getting him more involved the production stays the same. Hopefully him and Foles do build some chemistry as the year goes on.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
if wes welker can be a feature slot WR, tavon can as well.
Not all players are created equal. Just because they're both short and fast doesn't mean they have the same intangibles. That's like saying hey that EJ Manuel is the same size as Peyton why can't he just do the same things Peyton does?

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Check the stats...2 games, I get that, but RACK UP BIG YARDS?!? When does 85 punt return yards, 57 rushing yards, and 4 passing yards...in 2 games = big yards?
When you factor in 12 points to the thing, and realize he's been half of our offense and that's only in two games. I mean Jesus, I thought I was impatience. Like you said, it's been TWO games and he's already shown more moves and ability than he has in the last 2 seasons.

Like what do you want? For him to have a 1000 yards already? Temper you expectations.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree the ball was underthrown but you can't assume he would have made the catch if Sherman hadn't interfered. You can't even assume he would have caught the ball if it had been the perfect pass and on time. You can't say a(any) WR would have a ton of yards if things had gone differently or had been perfect. You have to go with what's happened.
That's true but if you saw the play and how far Austin had beat Sherman if that ball is thrown to where Austin just has to run under it its a sure touchdown. Sherman was no where near the play until Austin had to turn around and slow down to wait for the ball which gave Sherman enough time to catch up

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Can someone explain the long ball Foles missed against the Redskins? I've been dying to see it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Lazy route or not he had him all the way. Why did he choose to throw it so far?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Lazy route or not he had him all the way. Why did he choose to throw it so far?

I think he anticipated that Tavon would be at the spot, but he may have overrestimated his speed a little. It's gonna take a little time for those two to get on the same page. He's just too fast, but that's a good problem to have.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think he anticipated that Tavon would be at the spot, but he may have overrestimated his speed a little. It's gonna take a little time for those two to get on the same page. He's just too fast, but that's a good problem to have.

Once they do, look out.