Tavon Austin - First 2 games and 4 receiving yards

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
In his defense, Foles has missed him twice on huge plays where Tavon roasted the defense. Once against Sherman (throw out of bounds) and last week it was way over thrown. Both were TD's.

Nobody had a good last week. Britt made one huge play and that's pretty much it. Quick and Gurley this week would be great.

jap

Legend
I just want Gurley and Tavon on the field at the same time as often as possible. We know! that opposing DC's are scared to death of Tavon and are always aware of where he is. What happens when they have to deal with Gurley too?---two instant breakaway threats at once? And it's not like the rest of our receivers/RB's are minced meat. Who do you blanket? Who do you leave in single coverage? Pick your poison and pray the Horns miss the mismatch?

DenverRam

Starter
why do people continue to act like tavon is a bust?

The guy is one of the most deadly weapons in the game on special teams.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
He'll have all the space he needs once all eyes are on Gurley. It's not like he needs much.

A55VA6

Legend
why do people continue to act like tavon is a bust?

The guy is one of the most deadly weapons in the game on special teams.
Also, everyone just looks at his receiving yards - but most of his yards are rushing yards. 8 rushes for 57 yards so far this season. Pretty solid.

DenverRam

Starter
Also, everyone just looks at his receiving yards - but most of his yards are rushing yards. 8 rushes for 57 yards so far this season. Pretty solid.
then you add in the fact the Rams really have no #1 or #2 WR that threaten people. So most defenses key on tavon and the running game. If we had a WR that required double teams, we would see tavon ripping it up.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Of course, another way to look at Tavon's season is he's averaging a TD a game. But yes, pick his worst stat and just focus on that.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
...... We are waiting on you man. Let's go.
I know... The guy could only muster 2 TDs in the opener. We need four per game from him - MINIMUM! And they should all be receiving or they don't count. The guy's freaking useless.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Are you kidding?
No kidding, only Rams fans seem to want to key in on our bests players worst and act like it's the entire story. I wonder if Vikings fans did this to Cordarelle?

Like sure you're racking in all purpose yards and TDs, but your receiving stats are pedestrian so you're not doing enough.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
He should have 4 TDs this year, beating Sherman, but Foles threw too late, and again in that Redskins game, but Foles way overthrew him. That'd also bring in a lot of yards and he'd have well over 100. Plus, he had one big negative play that takes away any positive gains he's had away, but it's not like he's not contributing or not getting open.

I don't care how many receiving yards he has. He's having a great year. As long as he makes plays to help us win the game, he can end the year with 100 receiving yards, as long as he's scoring TDs and setting us up for wins.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Where would you like for him to go with 8 targets on the year, of which 2 were sure TDs if they were delivered on time?
Right now he's averaging a TD per game. Quick, point out another player who's doing that.

…..

Legend
  • It can go either way. He is having a good moment due to an exciting punt return and then the running play clearly caught Seattle in the wrong defense. On the deep pass I thought that Sherman interfered, otherwise we might be talking about 3 TD's in that one game.

We'll see how this week shakes out. The Rams seem determined to get him involved so he'll get chances to satisfy his hungry fans.

From my perspective, he's still a punt returner an gadget player. That doesn't mean he isn't showing up. I just think his ceiling is limited. For sure the fake end around to him is a great play. He isn't getting the ball on that play but his presence is the reason for the success.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't really see the point in criticizing the only guy that did anything against Washington's defense and the guy that put up 2 TDs against Seattle.

Hopefully, him and Foles get on the same page...because Foles has missed Austin on three big plays this year.

Athos

Legend
I've been a huge ball buster against Austin. Didn't like the pick.

However, he should probably have 150ish yards as a WR if Foles leads his pass into the EZ against the SheHags. Or sees him on the other wide open play.

He's never going to be a feature WR though. Everyone just has to accept it. I knew it the moment he was drafted.

V3

Hall of Fame
In his defense, Foles has missed him twice on huge plays where Tavon roasted the defense. Once against Sherman (throw out of bounds) and last week it was way over thrown. Both were TD's.

Nobody had a good last week. Britt made one huge play and that's pretty much it. Quick and Gurley this week would be great.
Sorry, you can't assume Austin would have caught that pass against SEA even if Sherman hadn't interfered. That still would have been a tough catch and Austin hasn't shown he can make those yet. I'll give him credit for drawing the penalty from Sherman, though.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry, you can't assume Austin would have caught that pass against SEA even if Sherman hadn't interfered. That still would have been a tough catch and Austin hasn't shown he can make those yet.

Austin would have caught the pass if Foles had led him. He had a good 5 yards on Sherman but had to wait on Foles's under-thrown ball.

So I feel it's pretty safe to assume he would have caught it if thrown properly.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
He's never going to be a feature WR though. Everyone just has to accept it. I knew it the moment he was drafted.
Athos hit the nail on the head. Nobody, but nobody expects Austin to be a feature WR. That's not what players of his type are about.

If you judge players of his type like that a guy we were drooling all over in Coradarelle Patterson starts to look pretty pedestrian as well, so does Harvin, Lockett and any other player that follows that mold.

V3

Hall of Fame
Austin would have caught the pass if Foles had led him. He had a good 5 yards on Sherman but had to wait on Foles's under-thrown ball.

So I feel it's pretty safe to assume he would have caught it if thrown properly.
If it was a perfect throw at the right time and Austin made the catch, sure, you could say a lot of our receivers would have a lot more receiving yards. I'll give him credit for beating Sherman on that, though.