Tavon Austin - 2018 Salary Cap?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
:welcome: aboard Happy New Year ! Nice to to have you here to add to the extra large Florida contingent that we have @ ROD. Not sure but outside of Kalifornia contingent Florida might be the 2nd most. TA has been for some time a hot topic in this forum. With a large wide variety of opinions on the present & future worth to this Ram team. You can go to the ROD search & place Tavon Austin name in & click ...an a boatload of threads will come up with some real great comments:boxing::rant::puke: :argue::death::palm::seizure::fighting:on TA. So Enjoy!

I am far from being a little disappointed but more in the area of BIG disappointment. My prefer resolution to the TA issue is for Snead/McVay to utilize him in a 2018 Draft day trade in anyway possible. That we we can disperse his cap hit pre June 1st. The Rams still owe TA over 36 million if he remains here. If we trade him we would save over 8 million right off the bat. (We have a member here who is a math genius.. @flv who could give us a detailed :headexplosion: amount of information on this part if you PM him) I want to get some positive additional value from him in the trade for a move up or additional selections from the more wealthy teams in cap space or the wealthier teams in draft picks i.e. Cleveland Browns or SF 9ers.

If they cut him we still owe TA millions not what we want. Problem is TA has shown that he is only special as a change of pace trick play gadget player who works well enough in the NFL's most powerful offense behind a a very effective OL. Most NFL teams are not close to this.:D

Once again welcome!
BonifayRam(y)

Thanks for the great information! It is really nice to see other Rams Fans from Florida! Been a Rams Fan for a LONG Time (First Rams Game I ever saw was QB'd by Roman Gabriel/Still my Alltime Favorite Rams QB BUT Jared Goff might just change that in the near future!)! It is GREAT to see the Rams finally contending again and have the needed coaching (I think McVay is Awesome and really hope he stays with the Rams for a Very LOOONG Time!) that they have seriously lacked for many seasons! It is really nice to still have an interest in the NFL Games this time of year! Hopefully, The Rams will keep this season going for a few (Several!) more weeks!

Thanks again for your Time and Information (It is Very Much Appreciated!)!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
giphy.gif

:rolllaugh:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
that dropped pass by tavon yesterday confirmed the reason mcvay doesn't have goff throwing the ball to him when he actually does run a route.

When it happened I effin lost it. I was like:

645_1384399575.jpg

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
after sunday I want this guy cut today. going down because he cant take a hit, dropping passes I don't know how anyone can stick up for this guy anymore he just isn't good

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
that dropped pass by tavon yesterday confirmed the reason mcvay doesn't have goff throwing the ball to him when he actually does run a route.

i had high hopes for tavon this year. thought mcvay would get the best out of him. seems i was wrong. if an offensive mind like mcvay can't get tavon going as a wr there can only be one conclusion.
To me, Goff throws a very catchable ball....Mannion put some heat on that one...that was a timing play...think the ball was on it's way before Tavon turned around.

But I've always thought Tavon had terrible hands...remember that game were Sam B. targeted him like 11 times in the first half? Think he dropped 8 of them.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But I've always thought Tavon had terrible hands...remember that game were Sam B. targeted him like 11 times in the first half? Think he dropped 8 of them.

Honestly I think he should have been benched as a rookie and made to work on his hands and route running. Then benched again in year 2 until he improves enough to warrant play time. But good ol' Fish, you know, only had high expectations for defensive players. Fish would bench defensive starters immediately but offensive guys? No way.

But anyway, I feel bad bashing on the dude. He's just not a fit for this coach or scheme. Rams should have traded him before camp and taken whatever mediocre return was out there. Now he isn't worth crap because everyone knows he's gonna be cut.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would cut him even if they didn't save anything against the cap. Davis or a late draft pick would be a better option, and Pharoh Cooper can take over the ghost motion plays.
Agree... he cemented his case Sunday for me.

Pretty sure I saw a defender create a breeze with an arm move that knocked Austin down.

It's time to move on... can't afford to waste a roster spot that could be an improvement.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm curious, in what scheme can a wr that can't catch, flourish?

Good question. He's sucked so badly this season that I don't know any offense will be interested in him outside of picking him up on the cheap after he passes waivers this offseason. That said there is some deviation in how much emphasis is placed on precision in routes, among coordinators and staffs. Unfortunately for him, the guys who taught McVay (primarily the Grudens) are known for exacting standards in all that.

This is why I suggested before the season that we trade him IF they felt like he wasn't going to fit. In the end the evidence suggests that the Rams made that determination, between the addition of an X, Y, and Z in Watkins, Woods, and Kupp. So in hindsight it's pretty obvious the Rams should have cut bait.

But anyway. They probably felt like he'd have impact on returns, and I'm sure that's why they kept him, well, that plus his perceived upside vs the poor return I'm sure teams offered for him on the phone. So not knockin Snead here really, as I understand why they kept him around.

He'll get another shot with another team once he clears waivers. Of that I'm sure. And when that happens he'll be scrappin for his football career doing what the Rams have him doing now (screens and jet sweeps in minimal snaps) and being paid appropriately for it, so who knows maybe he'll get serious with his route running and hands and improve. Otherwise he'll be at risk of being out of this league pretty quickly.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
He's been an important part on offense this entire season (he has kept numerous drives alive by gaining positive yards and not falling behind the sticks and just as important in the run game) and everyone wants to jettison him because of a drop...something every other receiver on this team has done at some point or another.

I personally hopes he makes the play to win a playoff game before rather than crackin out the whips on the boy.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I personally hopes he makes the play to win a playoff game before rather than crackin out the whips on the boy.

I would too but it will not happen. I will be glade when they move on from him and give his snaps go to Cooper.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Problem is TA has shown that he is only special as a change of pace trick play gadget player who works well enough in the NFL's most powerful offense behind a a very effective OL. Most NFL teams are not close to this.:D

Yes Boni... He is indeed special.

93d3bdbd08e66ec010b304a9500fbb16970dbacf01926478be7b0edc8b849fb6.jpg

The Ramowl

Starter
Does anyone here have a good information/educational source to understand how salary cap rules work ?

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I have never been a Tavon fan, but why do I get the feeling he is going to make a couple of big plays in these playoff games and everyone is going to be saying, for 3M its worth having him around.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would too but it will not happen. I will be glade when they move on from him and give his snaps go to Cooper.
Yup... he simply doesn't bring much value.

I'd guess he would not be missed at all.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I have never been a Tavon fan, but why do I get the feeling he is going to make a couple of big plays in these playoff games and everyone is going to be saying, for 3M its worth having him around.
Because you're crazy?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I felt confident that McVey had plays designed for Austin, and was just holding them back, to take teams by surprise.

Now I'm skeptical of that. It would be nice, though. Have the defenses ignore him, and suddenly he breaks a 75 yard td.

More likely he's gone after this season, because of the dropsies when he was returning punts and when he's thrown to.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It would be nice, though. Have the defenses ignore him, and suddenly he breaks a 75 yard td.
I dunno... is it worth paying that much money for a player that takes it to the house what? Once every 10 games?

Not to me.. IMO.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dunno... is it worth paying that much money for a player that takes it to the house what? Once every 10 games?

Not to me.. IMO.

I just meant during the playoffs THIS year. I'm not advocating keeping him at this point, unless McVey is confident that he will be used a lot more often than he currently is.