Talkin Dodger baseball

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Comeback kids. I turned on the game with the Doyers down 5-0 only to watch them go down 6-0. Then they score the next 7 to win.

They're making a habit of this come from behind stuff.
Yeah, I went to stream the game and saw it was 6-0 after six innings. I figured oh well, it ain't happening tonight. Next morning I check the MLB site like I always do and see they came back. That's what I get for not trusting them to come back.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah, I went to stream the game and saw it was 6-0 after six innings. I figured oh well, it ain't happening tonight. Next morning I check the MLB site like I always do and see they came back. That's what I get for not trusting them to come back.
To be honest, my son talked me into watching it. Glad I did.

BTW... How about that Freddy Freeman pick up?

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
To be honest, my son talked me into watching it. Glad I did.

BTW... How about that Freddy Freeman pick up?
He definitely helps the Dodgers. Best lineup in the NL with him. Not having a typical power season by his standards. But guys like that tend to come through in the playoffs.

Starting pitching is solid. Best ERA in the league. I'm just a little concerned with the bullpen. Kimbrel can be shaky at times. Seems like they haven't settled in on regular closer so far. I hope Treinen can get back to where he was last year when he returns. That would be my choice for the closer if he can.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Freeman is my favorite non-Yankee. I've gone to Philly 3 times when the Braves were in town. Classy ballplayer. Pretty good too!!!

Btw, Old School, that tweet says unavailable. Who was it from? Soto?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Freeman is my favorite non-Yankee. I've gone to Philly 3 times when the Braves were in town. Classy ballplayer. Pretty good too!!!

Btw, Old School, that tweet says unavailable. Who was it from? Soto?
Yeah it was somebody that photo shopped Soto in a Dodger uniform. Probably took it down after getting shit about it.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Rumors will be swirling around with Soto. As far as the Dodgers chances, I'm hearing the would have to take on Patrick Corbin and that huge contract. Something like 80 million left for the next 3 years. Corbin wasn't that great to begin with but he's been terrible this year. At 33 I'm not sure he can improve much.

Soto would be a nice addition to that lineup. But I think they need bullpen help more than a position player. Their lineup is pretty solid as is. Soto projects to hit over 30 HR's. But his RBI numbers are down. Projects less than 80 by the end of the year. He's batting .250. Which might be more of an anomaly. Most seasons he hit over .300.

Personally I think the price might be a little too steep. If a legit closer becomes available that is where I'd look.

Tano

Legend
He definitely helps the Dodgers. Best lineup in the NL with him. Not having a typical power season by his standards. But guys like that tend to come through in the playoffs.

Starting pitching is solid. Best ERA in the league. I'm just a little concerned with the bullpen. Kimbrel can be shaky at times. Seems like they haven't settled in on regular closer so far. I hope Treinen can get back to where he was last year when he returns. That would be my choice for the closer if he can.
I want May as the closer.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I want May as the closer.
I think May might have what it takes. Being a starter he knows he can't be out there throwing nothing but fastballs. He needs the other pitches to work. Eric Gagne had the 100mph fastball. But what made him the best closer for a couple years was his changeup. Some people called that an unhittable pitch.

May and Graterol have similar velocity. Both can eclipse 100mph. Graterol could be a good closer if he can perfect his other pitches. Throwing heat is great, but if you want to separate yourself from other hard throwers you need a second pitch that is just as good.

To me a great closer doesn't walk batters either. Nothing more frustrating than a closer walking the first batter with a one run lead.

Tano

Legend
I think May might have what it takes. Being a starter he knows he can't be out there throwing nothing but fastballs. He needs the other pitches to work. Eric Gagne had the 100mph fastball. But what made him the best closer for a couple years was his changeup. Some people called that an unhittable pitch.

May and Graterol have similar velocity. Both can eclipse 100mph. Graterol could be a good closer if he can perfect his other pitches. Throwing heat is great, but if you want to separate yourself from other hard throwers you need a second pitch that is just as good.

To me a great closer doesn't walk batters either. Nothing more frustrating than a closer walking the first batter with a one run lead.
That's why I don't trust Graterol as a closer.

His control is not there yet

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
So the Dodgers big move was to land Joey Gallo? A career .201 hitter hitting .159 this year. Sure, put him in the order right behind Muncy and his .160 average. And both of them behind Bellinger with his .211 average. They needed bullpen help. Not a struggling hitter who strikes out a lot.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So the Dodgers big move was to land Joey Gallo? A career .201 hitter hitting .159 this year. Sure, put him in the order right behind Muncy and his .160 average. And both of them behind Bellinger with his .211 average. They needed bullpen help. Not a struggling hitter who strikes out a lot.
Yeah... I don't get this one either - especially with the young outfielder they just brought up. The kid almost hit for the cycle in his first game in the majors.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Yeah... I don't get this one either - especially with the young outfielder they just brought up. The kid almost hit for the cycle in his first game in the majors.
For most hitters batting .200 is a major slump for them. Its not a slump for Gallo. Its his career average. I just don't see the upside here. The only guys who have more strikeouts are guys who have a lot more at bats and guys who are hitting a lot more homeruns.

They needed bullpen help and they didn't address that. Even though there were some pretty good relievers available. The only reliever they got was Chris Martin and that 4.45 ERA with 1.33 WHIP. Hitters are hitting .295 against him. Not exactly that shut down reliever we were looking for.

RibRam

UDFA
Being a life-long Dodger fan, this is a real head scratcher. The guy's CAREER strikeout rate is 44%. This season he has been able to push it to 45%. I don't see the upside at all. If he becomes "Mr. October" and hits critical HR's in multiple games during a playoff run, I may change my mind.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Dodgers are really tearing it up now. 13.5 games ahead of the Padres. Best record in baseball by 3 games. 6 games in the NL. So far the questionable bullpen has not hurt them. But the playoffs are a different animal. You're gonna see the best pitching staffs. Best hitters. A good bullpen is crucial to winning in the post season.

I suppose they think Kimbrel will return to form? Maybe Treinen returns and strengthens the bullpen? Maybe Graterol too? Maybe a couple guys are starting to find their groove?

That is the only reason I can think of why they didn't pursue bullpen help. I hope all these things happen. Because for this team anything short of a World Series appearance would make it a disappointing season.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The reports prior to the trade deadline was that teams wanted too much for top closers. If the closers available only had a game or two advantage compared to Kimbrel the rest of the season, and the asking price as rumored was a top prospect or two, well, I can understand not pulling the trigger.

I'm not crazy about Gallo, but the price was a prospect they no longer believed in at least. There is a small but real chance of him having a real short-term streak that helps the Dodgers significantly.

I think the Dodgers have decided to try the youngsters if they can't get a superstar, reboot the salary cap, and go for superstars later on.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm hoping the return of Buehler, May and Treinen will boost an already good pitching staff. The starters are doing really good. But are the clutch postseason pitchers? Fortunately they might be in cruise control in September where they can keep the pitch counts lower. Conserve them for October.

Bullpen has been holding up but I don't have confidence in Kimbrel as the closer. They still have a couple months to see if he gets it together or if someone like Treinen can be that guy.

Tano

Legend
Typical - Muncy is just now starting to hit again and he hurts his hand

He can't catch a break this year

Tano

Legend
Typical - Muncy is just now starting to hit again and he hurts his hand

He can't catch a break this year
Appears that his hand is okay and he is hot now.

however 4 for 5 and you only raise your average to 180 lol