St. Louis Rams Season Report Card/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
St. Louis Rams season report card
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/13866/st-louis-rams-season-report-card

This was supposed to be the year the St. Louis Rams took the next step and made the postseason or at least had a winning record for the first time since 2003. Even the Rams offered such optimism in their preseason letter to season-ticket holders. But injuries, a tough schedule, a slow start and a continued propensity for undisciplined mistakes prevented the Rams from making that move. The defense took about six weeks to find a groove while the offense was mostly uneven, struggling regularly against some of the league's better defenses. Those looking for tangible progress will be unable to find it after the Rams finished 6-10, one fewer win than either of the previous two seasons under coach Jeff Fisher. Some will point to more intangible things such as individual player improvement but it's fair to wonder if Fisher will ever do more than take the once-dreadful Rams any further than their current level of mediocrity.

OVERALL: D+

Once again, the Rams were up and down for most of the season only to finish with a similar record under Fisher. They had some big wins, some embarrassing losses and a lot of in between but six wins simply isn't good enough in the third year of a regime that has yet to post a winning season. And though injuries hurt and the schedule was tough, the Rams didn't persevere as well as other teams who did under similar circumstances.

OFFENSE: D

Early in the season, the Rams were posting decent offensive numbers but when the defenses got tougher, the numbers reverted to the form more commonly seen in St. Louis in recent years. They finished 28th in yards per game, 20th in rushing and 23rd in passing. The Rams still seem to have a long way to go to be capable of moving the ball and scoring consistently when playing top-tier defenses such as those in the NFC West.

DEFENSE: C-

For much of the second half of the season, this group played like a legitimate top-five defense. But it took too long for them to come around and they still offered brutal performances against the Giants and Chargers. All told, the Rams finished 17th in yards per game allowed, 14th in rushing yards allowed per game and 20th in passing yards allowed per game. Based on numbers alone, that's slightly below average even if the upside remains much greater.

Team MVP: DT Aaron Donald -- No, that's not a misprint. Donald was not only the Rams' best rookie but their best player in 2014. It took five weeks for Donald to elbow his way into the starting lineup but once he did, he was one of the most disruptive defensive tackles in the league. It was no coincidence that the ailing Rams pass rush, which had set a record for sack futility in the first part of the season, took off. Donald finished with nine sacks, including a streak of five games in a row with a sack near the end of the season. He also had 18 tackles for loss and his presence pushing the pocket up the middle led to many sacks for the team's edge rushers. Without Donald in the starting lineup, the Rams had one sack, gave up 152.5 rushing yards per game and averaged a sack on 0.9 percent of opponent's pass attempts. After he entered the starting lineup, the Rams had 39 sacks, gave up 96.25 rushing yards per game and averaged a sack on 9 percent of opponent's pass attempts.

Best moment: The Rams' 22-7 victory against the Denver Broncos. As individual moments go, the Rams had some great ones including "The Mountaineer" punt return fakery that led to a 90-yard touchdown for receiver Stedman Bailey. But the victory against Denver was the moment the Rams most showed what their potential is as a team. Those seven points were the fewest scored by the Broncos since Peyton Manning took over as their quarterback. The Rams claimed their second win of the season against one of last season's Super Bowl participants.

Worst moment: Quarterback Shaun Hill's game-ending interception against San Diego. Just a week after knocking off the Broncos, the Rams found themselves poised to beat the Chargers on the road or, at worst, kick a game-tying field goal. Trailing 27-24 with 1:03 remaining and second-and-goal at San Diego's 4, Hill dropped back to pass with receiver Kenny Britt running a drag route across the goal line. Hill locked on Britt right away but never saw San Diego safety Marcus Gilchrist waiting on the other side. Hill tried to force the throw to Britt and Gilchrist stepped in front to seal the Chargers' win. What's worse, had Hill just waited a half a second, he had running back Benny Cunningham wide open on the left side. It was the team's seventh loss and ended any reasonable hope of a late playoff run.

2015 outlook: This team has had moments where it looks as though it's on the verge of a breakthrough only to take a step back. Heading into the offseason, the Rams don't look like they'll have a ton of holes to fill but the biggest is quarterback. There's no obvious solution that offers a guaranteed fix but the Rams will likely try various avenues, including the possible return of Sam Bradford plus the use of an early draft pick on a quarterback. Add some talent on the offensive line, especially the interior, and in the secondary and the roster would appear to be in good shape. On non-roster issues, Fisher and his staff will need to take a closer look at why they keep starting seasons slow and eliminate the continued penalties, busted coverage and other various miscues that continue to plague them. If the Rams don't take a meaningful step forward next year, they could have another major hole to fill: head coach.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That sean hill interception against San Diego pisses me off to this day.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
"the Rams didn't persevere as well as other teams who did under similar circumstances."

There was no other team in the league that lost their QB for the entire season. THAT is the end of any comparison to any other team in the league

Imperial

UDFA
Name
Imperial
"There was no other team in the league that lost their QB for the entire season. THAT is the end of any comparison to any other team in the league."

Exactly! Throw in your starting LT and it's a recipe for disaster. Piss and moan about regression all you want, but losing your starting QB for the season puts you behind the eight ball right from the get-go. I cannot understand why so many people are missing this.

NukeRam

I test nuclear weapons
Name
Mike
I know! I try explaining to people all the time. Lose Romo, Brady, Rodgers, Luck, Manning, etc and see how those teams fair. Add the loss of their LT and don't forget one of their best DL (like Long) and most teams end up 6-10.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Pretty dumb grades, IMO.

I'll give it a try.

Offense: D
Defense: B
STs: B+

Overall: C

I agree with the grade, the games vs the Chargers & Giants, showed us who we really are, especially versus top tier QB's

Those 2, but not the Denver game against the most top tier QB alive? (well maybe second to Rodgers, but we get to face him next year).

Also the Chargers game was the one where we gave up a fumble 6, then an INT inside our own 30 right? So on drives starting outside our own 30 17 points in total?

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
"the Rams didn't persevere as well as other teams who did under similar circumstances."

There was no other team in the league that lost their QB for the entire season. THAT is the end of any comparison to any other team in the league

I know! I try explaining to people all the time. Lose Romo, Brady, Rodgers, Luck, Manning, etc and see how those teams fair. Add the loss of their LT and don't forget one of their best DL (like Long) and most teams end up 6-10.

All that, plus Stedman Bailey for 4 games, and then losing Brian Quick, who I guess we can say was our #1 WR.

#1 QB + #1 LT + #1 WR + #1a DE = a recipe for disaster. I'm just glad we got 6 wins this season we can be proud of.

Alan

Legend
Rams and Gators thinking they should have received a D+:
Top 5 scoring D=C- :confused: I get we were massively inconsistent and it cost us a few games, but top 5 scoring D.
Just pulling your leg with that D+ but...6-10 and "All told, the Rams finished 17th in yards per game allowed, 14th in rushing yards allowed per game and 20th in passing yards allowed per game. Based on numbers alone, that's slightly below average even if the upside remains much greater." says it all for me. I would have graded them as a C or C- too.

Just pulling your leg with that D+ but...6-10 and "All told, the Rams finished 17th in yards per game allowed, 14th in rushing yards allowed per game and 20th in passing yards allowed per game. Based on numbers alone, that's slightly below average even if the upside remains much greater." says it all for me. I would have graded them as a C or C- too.

And I couldn't give a toss about yards, at least until they change the rules to the team with most yards wins (that's not a suggestion if you're reading Goodell).

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm convinced that at least a couple of these local writers are moonlighting and posting as negative Nancy's in here on a regular basis.
Fire this guy, that guy sucks, i'm jealous of "X" team, the Rams are worse than last year, Rams should just move, the defense wasn't very good, the grass is always greener types...you're all turds.

Happy New Year! :cheers:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Pretty Fair Really if I am being unbiased.
The grade is for actual performance not what could nave been had we not lost our starting QB and suffered other impactful setbacks.
The year is over and behind us.

Last edited:

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Top 5 scoring D=C- :confused: I get we were massively inconsistent and it cost us a few games, but top 5 scoring D.
C- sounds about right to me. Too five scoring d aside, we were down right ugly at times (San Diego, New York, Minnesota, to name three)

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
Grades on performance are subject to the perception the person doing the grading.
From my perspective we got our foot stomped on when sam got injured in the preseason we got our fingefs slammed in the door with chris long we got slapped in the face with jake long than for good measure we got kicked in the balls and our best wr went down. Than we get told by this jerk we suck. Wagoner is now on my manure list.

C- sounds about right to me. Too five scoring d aside, we were down right ugly at times (San Diego, New York, Minnesota, to name three)

The Seahawks were pretty ugly at times, giving up 28 to a guy dropped 3 games later, 30 points to the Chargers, 24 to a team we shut out a few games later (Oakland) and Oakland was pretty awesome at times, 16 to Brady, holding the Chargers to 13, 13 to the 49ers.

Everyone gets a C-.