Sporting News: Report: NFL's allegedly illegal drug distribution has DEA's attention

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Let's put this in perspective. You have some very young athletes relying on the authority of the coaching staff. The coaching staff that determines whether they get PT or not. If someone told me at that age, "Take this pill. It'll get you back on the field." I'd take it.
thats where your maturity ends I guess man. I played high school ball and as a teenager I was smart enough to know which things going on behind closed doors was right and wrong. you should too

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
thats where your maturity ends I guess man. I played high school ball and as a teenager I was smart enough to know which things going on behind closed doors was right and wrong. you should too
Well now, I'm so glad you have it all figured out.

Maturity has never been about knowledge or intelligence. It's about confidence. While most players have confidence about their ability, they don't know jack about pain killers, cortisone or any other sports related medication. Just because YOU think they should know better doesn't mean they will. Even A type personalities tend to follow experience.

Irish

Starter
How can anyone defend the NFL's position on this, or, better yet, go after the Drug Enforcement Administration for taking them to task for it?

The NFL is dirty. Period. The NFL's success is built on a legacy of broken players and hidden injuries. Period. I love the game as much as the next guy, but sometimes sports leagues need to take their medicine (pardon the pun). How many Jason Taylor stories do we need to hear and read (link here), how many Junior Seaus do we need blowing a hole in their own chests to preserve their heads and brains for scientific studies, how many players with severe and chronic dementia need to go on radio and appear on Real Sports before we start holding culpable parties accountable?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
precisely. but people here want to blame players for not knowing about the risks.
I get what you're saying.
People take and consume things daily, unaware of the precise ingredients and long term effects of what they're consuming.

Last edited:

Irish

Starter
People take and consume things daily, unaware of the precise ingredients and long term effects of what they're consuming.
But with prescription medications and controlled substances, you always should know the precise ingredients and long term effects of what you are consuming because you have a doctor who is looking out for you and is trying to help you out. If a regular doctor just starts prescribing things willy nilly without properly informing their patient, there are grounds for litigation and dismissal.

The argument is that these NFL doctors do not have the best intentions for the players, and instead are working for the league, their de facto employer. Its a blatant conflict of interest, and more importantly it is negligence that is punishable by any respecting medical organization. It flies in the face of their code of ethics

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
and u have to be a rocket scientist to figure it all out. so, is it any wonder that these kids took drugs they were told were safe by their teams? Yet, we have people here willing to crucify these players. unbelieveable.

i mean, how many here, who r throwing stones at the players, listen to all the crap their medical doctor spews, and actually trusts it?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
and u have to be a rocket scientist to figure it all out. so, is it any wonder that these kids took drugs they were told were safe by their teams? Yet, we have people here willing to crucify these players. unbelieveable.

i mean, how many here, who r throwing stones at the players, listen to all the crap their medical doctor spews, and actually trusts it?
Not only is there the factor that they're trusting what the team tells them, when you're on a high level college or NFL team, you aren't going to be inclined to tell Coach "no" no matter he tells you to do.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
precisely. but people here want to blame players for not knowing about the risks.
You don't think they're equally to blame?

Ya gotta define best interest according to the values of those directly involved , I submit players who do steroids know the risks and take them to be able to make teams , pain killers enable them to play,I think players had some responsibility to ask for information and refuse certain treatment,they aren't completely innocent in the matter.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Not only is there the factor that they're trusting what the team tells them, when you're on a high level college or NFL team, you aren't going to be inclined to tell Coach "no" no matter he tells you to do.
right, so lets blame the victim (blue font)

Thordaddy

Name
Rich

I think that's a highly inflammatory term,I for one am just not ready to absolve them of all culpability.

I KNOW the league is going to get crucified,that will be the crucifixion, and because it's a big successful entity with deep pockets and won't come close to getting a jury of their piers ,they're gonna catch it in the shorts .
But the players had responsibilities to themselves and IMO should have gone to their union LONG ago and don't even tell me the F-ing union didn't KNOW.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I think that's a highly inflammatory term,I for one am just not ready to absolve them of all culpability.

I KNOW the league is going to get crucified,that will be the crucifixion, and because it's a big successful entity with deep pockets and won't come close to getting a jury of their piers ,they're gonna catch it in the shorts .
But the players had responsibilities to themselves and IMO should have gone to their union LONG ago and don't even tell me the F-ing union didn't KNOW.
I don't think the courts will absolve the players of culpability either. But there have been lawsuits before where plaintiffs have received damages despite being ruled partially responsible for the situation they're suing for.

One situation that comes to mind is after a WWF wrestling match in 1990, a man named Charles Austin was paralyzed after taking a move called the Rocker Dropper from wrestler Marty Janetty. The court ruled that WWF was 90% responsible, Janetty 5% responsible and Austin himself 5% responsible.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I don't think the courts will absolve the players of culpability either. But there have been lawsuits before where plaintiffs have received damages despite being ruled partially responsible for the situation they're suing for.

One situation that comes to mind is after a WWF wrestling match in 1990, a man named Charles Austin was paralyzed after taking a move called the Rocker Dropper from wrestler Marty Janetty. The court ruled that WWF was 90% responsible, Janetty 5% responsible and Austin himself 5% responsible.
If ya ask me the union is the most culpable if they failed to protect their membership,WTF ELSE is their mission?

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Well now, I'm so glad you have it all figured out.

Maturity has never been about knowledge or intelligence. It's about confidence. While most players have confidence about their ability, they don't know jack about pain killers, cortisone or any other sports related medication. Just because YOU think they should know better doesn't mean they will. Even A type personalities tend to follow experience.
maturity is making the right choices plain and simple. stop making excuses for other people's poor judgement. once again don't try telling me a grown ass man with MANY years of sports experience doesn't know whats right and wrong what legal and not etc. jeez dude this argument is bordering on politics. Dont play the it's societies fault game. They can MAN UP and take responsibility for their own actions. They aren't 16 they dont need someone holding their hand. damn