Sporting News: Report: NFL's allegedly illegal drug distribution has DEA's attention

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...ption-class-action-players-new-york-narcotics

If the NFL didn't take retirees' class-action lawsuit accusing the league of providing drugs without warning players of consequences seriously, it probably should now that the Drug Enforcement Administration is involved.

The DEA has "quietly" launched an investigation into the abuse of such prescription drug use in NFL locker rooms, sources tell the New York Daily News. “They want to find out who provided and distributed the drugs to football players," according to a report.

247827-330-0.jpg
The NFL shield (AP Photo)
MORE: Former Bear Jim McMahon credits football for dementia, suicidal thoughts

The investigation reportedly started just after May's federal lawsuit, in which players identified by name accuse teams of illegally dispensing powerful narcotics and other drugs to keep players on the field without regard for their long-term health.

“The allegations in our lawsuit, that the NFL has violated state and federal drug laws, have been confirmed by over 1,300 former NFL players,” attorney Steve Silverman told The News. “We are pleased to learn that the DEA and United States Department of Justice are also taking our clients’ allegations seriously and are actively protecting the welfare of NFL players.”

Specifically, the DEA's New York division is trying to find out how team doctors get access to narcotics like Percodan and Vicodin and anti-inflammatories like Toradol, according to the report.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Silverman's about to learn a rough lesson regarding the DEA and serious attorneys of NFL franchises.....No way they'll find any wrong doing......

Irish

Starter
Lots of folks have been saying for a while that the NFL was headed for a judgement day. They have been playing loose and fast with the rules for decades, and now chickens are coming home to roost. If it's not retired players and medical malfeasance it's off the field issues and run ins with the law. If it's not off the field issues and run ins with the law it's steroids and performance enhancing drugs. If it's not steroids and performance enhancing drugs it's abuse of pain killers and prescription drugs.

The NFL is the most popular and successful sport in the USA, but it is not without it's warts. Tagliabue and the NFL owners knew they needed more of an enforcer and Law mind at the helm of the ship, which is why Goodell is in charge now. Goodell, no doubt has been preparing the leagues defense on these issues since day one of his tenure. It will be interesting to see what Goodell's legacy is in 25 years after he takes the majority of these blows on the chin on behalf of the 32 owners he represents.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Silverman's about to learn a rough lesson regarding the DEA and serious attorneys of NFL franchises.....No way they'll find any wrong doing......

Never bet against the DEA. Their investigators are motivated, ruthless, and have full subpoena powers.

Figure if they find anything, it makes the career of the lead investigator.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
If doctors who can write prescriptions, write them for players as such and such's prescription, where's the wrong doing? Trainers can't dispense drugs so yeah that's not good!

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If doctors who can write prescriptions, write them for players as such and such's prescription, where's the wrong doing? Trainers can't dispense drugs so yeah that's not good!

There are actually legal requirements for writing prescriptions - basically, they have to be medically necessary. There is a lot of leeway on that - but it's also the case that doctors do lose their licenses to prescribe meds frequently.

If it's found that a doctor prescribed meds out of the narrow approved primary reasons, and that it was for either recreational use or for something that isn't for the good of the patient's health - well, they might not be practicing doctors much longer.

If prescriptions WERE done to get a player to play, even though it damaged the player's health and the doctor knew that was a reasonable chance - well, that is grounds for the doctor losing his license. And THAT is what the investigation is about. That doctors weren't actually acting as doctors, but were acting as agents of teams concerned only with keeping the players on the field, not in keeping the players healthy long term.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Im so glad this is our tax dollars hard at work between busting millionaire athletes trying to knock out a couple extra reps on the bench and throwing kids in overcrowded prisons for a bag of weed.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Im so glad this is our tax dollars hard at work between busting millionaire athletes trying to knock out a couple extra reps on the bench and throwing kids in overcrowded prisons for a bag of weed.
We're talking about real damage here. These are men with families who have been hurt. This isn't just a kid using weed for his own enjoyment. This is big business putting profits before the health and well being of their product, which just so happens to be human beings.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
We're talking about real damage here. These are men with families who have been hurt. This isn't just a kid using weed for his own enjoyment. This is big business putting profits before the health and well being of their product, which just so happens to be human beings.
how is this different from UFC or any other sport. I'm talking about grown ass men that should be mature and smart enough to know what's not good for their health and well being. This isn't Varsity Blues, Jon Voight isn't smacking you upside the head yelling "Do what I say boy!", these are men. Nobody is forcing any of these multimillion dollar athletes to pop these pills and take these shots. Hopefully they're smart enough. but go spend my tax money somewhere else.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
how is this different from UFC or any other sport. I'm talking about grown ass men that should be mature and smart enough to know what's not good for their health and well being. This isn't Varsity Blues, Jon Voight isn't smacking you upside the head yelling "Do what I say boy!", these are men. Nobody is forcing any of these multimillion dollar athletes to pop these pills and take these shots. Hopefully they're smart enough. but go spend my tax money somewhere else.
You'd think it'd be the NFL themselves who wanted to crack down on this, given that these people who take the drugs then develop health issues and will thus sue the NFL later.

I'd say the public concern though is that kids want to be NFL/MLB/NBA/whatever stars. If the perception is that they're all popping pills or taking shots, these kids will do that too, far before they become "multimillion dollar athletes".

If you had a son who had a heart attack in college because he popped pills or took shots wanting to play in the NFL, I doubt you'd say "Go spend my tax money elsewhere" then.

Last edited:

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I agree 150% on that. Nobody is forcing them to take anything. They have been playing sports long enough to know whats what and they are grown ass men. Nuff said. btw:

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Let's put this in perspective. You have some very young athletes relying on the authority of the coaching staff. The coaching staff that determines whether they get PT or not. If someone told me at that age, "Take this pill. It'll get you back on the field." I'd take it.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
the players weren't told of the health risks. it's professional malfeasance on the part of nfl team doctors, and team ownership.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I agree 150% on that. Nobody is forcing them to take anything. They have been playing sports long enough to know whats what and they are grown ass men. Nuff said. btw:

There's no way anyone can know the contents of every pill or shot, even pharmacists. If you're in the training room and a trainer or physician gives you medication, you don't ask them about the long term affects of this because you expect them to be an expert.

I got prescribed muscle relaxers last week for my pulled hammy. I don't know the effects of this other than drowsiness. Doctors don't even know that shit, they just know what to prescribe to treat certain symptoms.

Don't forget they come in the league at 21-23 years of age, and start taking these drugs then.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
There's no way anyone can know the contents of every pill or shot, even pharmacists. If you're in the training room and a trainer or physician gives you medication, you don't ask them about the long term affects of this because you expect them to be an expert.

I got prescribed muscle relaxers last week for my pulled hammy. I don't know the effects of this other than drowsiness. Doctors don't even know that crap, they just know what to prescribe to treat certain symptoms.

Don't forget they come in the league at 21-23 years of age, and start taking these drugs then.
do u drink diet soda. no one is forcing u to drink diet soda? but do u have any idea what aspartame is doing to ur body and the increased cancer risks?

how about soy, do u eat soy or soy fed animals like chicken meat?

how about bread, do u eat that? any idea what's in it and what that does to ur thyroid?

how about flourinated drinking water, do u drink it?

yeah, it's all ur fault. no one is forcing u to consume these products. don't blame anyone other than urself is u get alzheimers, or diabetes, or cancer.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
do u drink diet soda. no one is forcing u to drink diet soda? but do u have any idea what aspartame is doing to ur body and the increased cancer risks?

how about soy, do u eat soy or soy fed animals like chicken meat?

how about bread, do u eat that? any idea what's in it and what that does to ur thyroid?

how about flourinated drinking water, do u drink it?

yeah, it's all ur fault. no one is forcing u to consume these products. don't blame anyone other than urself is u get alzheimers, or diabetes, or cancer.

Honestly man I think worrying about this shit takes as big a toll as anything

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.

I got prescribed muscle relaxers last week for my pulled hammy. I don't know the effects of this other than drowsiness. Doctors don't even know that crap, they just know what to prescribe to treat certain symptoms.

oh so from high school on up through college they havent had coaches and staff do the same thing to them? they have and they know the risks. even if they faked their way through college guess what? they still went to college. should the league allow it no. so the league should handle their own business not the government. once again this is on the players. At 21-23 they should be damn mature enough if we can put a rifle in their hands at 18.