Space Exploration - James Webb Telescope / Mars Rovers, etc

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Unbelievable, I can't wait to see this diagrammed. The color definition is incredible

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
For size comparison:

Go outside and look up at night sky. Put a grain of sand on the tip of your finger, and extend it to arm's length.

That is the approximate size of the region we are viewing in this first Webb image... a tiny little grain of sand in the vast night sky.

It never ceases to amaze me that the universe is so many trillions of times bigger than even my capacity to imagine.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
For size comparison:

Go outside and look up at night sky. Put a grain of sand on the tip of your finger, and extend it to arm's length.

That is the approximate size of the region we are viewing in this first Webb image... a tiny little grain of sand in the vast night sky.

It never ceases to amaze me that the universe is so many trillions of times bigger than even my capacity to imagine.
THAT is a crazy thought.

These images coming in are COOL!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Hubble / JWT
smacs0723-73.jpg
upud5pzg32b91.jpg
:wow2:SWEET

Psycho_X

Legend
For size comparison:

Nice little video to illustrate.

View: https://twitter.com/CosmicRami/status/1546673245306634240?s=20&t=GVygAmIxBnDrECWsnCVFKQ

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
IMPOSSIBLE!
Law of averages says life away from Earth is a certainty. Just far to many possibilities
train

Yeah. If even if the number of galaxies out having a star system with a planet that can support life is an infinitesimally small number, the sheer number of galaxies out there makes the likelihood very large.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yep life is a virtual certainty elsewhere in the universe. Question is not whether life is out there but rather how much is out there and whether any of it is alive in our current window of time. Time is as much a separator as distance there. Problem is most people don't understand the sheer staggering size of everything out there. It's hard to grasp the full import of it.

I can't wait for them to start using this thing on neighboring solar systems. As intrigued as I am about the age of the universe I am more intrigued by our little area of the galaxy and the question of do we have neighbors.

Can you imagine if humanity can spread to the stars? Some lucky SOB is gonna be able to dig up remains of alien species someday and walk the ruins of their cities. Maybe even trade and deal with other intelligent life forms in the galactic petri dish of species. Endlessly fascinating to think about. Course we'll be dead and buried and looked at like cavemen by those future humans. :laugh4:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yep life is a virtual certainty elsewhere in the universe. Question is not whether life is out there but rather how much is out there and whether any of it is alive in our current window of time. Time is as much a separator as distance there. Problem is most people don't understand the sheer staggering size of everything out there. It's hard to grasp the full import of it.
That's just it. Some of the light we are seeing is billions of years old. Some of what we see, may not still be there.

It's whack to think about.

Q729

Legend

I can't wait for them to start using this thing on neighboring solar systems. As intrigued as I am about the age of the universe I am more intrigued by our little area of the galaxy and the question of do we have neighbors.

Can you imagine if humanity can spread to the stars? Some lucky SOB is gonna be able to dig up remains of alien species someday and walk the ruins of their cities. Maybe even trade and deal with other intelligent life forms in the galactic petri dish of species. Endlessly fascinating to think about. Course we'll be dead and buried and looked at like cavemen by those future humans. :laugh4:
That's one of those things that just blows my mind. So much life has probably existed out there, just not during the small amount of time we've existed.

That's just it. Some of the light we are seeing is billions of years old. Some of what we see, may not still be there.

It's whack to think about.
Exactly. Let's point this thing towards the galaxy where Star Wars was happening. :D

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The wild thing about that photo… there are beautiful stars and systems in incredible clarity… but there ARE STILL faint dots of even MORE STUFF further away in that photo.

Q729

Legend
The wild thing about that photo… there are beautiful stars and systems in incredible clarity… but there ARE STILL faint dots of even MORE STUFF further away in that photo.
And then you remember how miniscule that section of the universe is. Insignificance.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Age of universe: I can kinda sorta fathom that. 13.8 billion years old.

Diameter of universe:

540,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 miles.
So big we can't even imagine it

I agree that life is (and was) all over the darn place... problem is, it's all so mind bogglingly far away

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For size comparison:

It’s not the size that matters…it’s how you use it. Lol. It’s a staggering thought isn’t it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Stephan's Quintet (MIRI Image)​

STScI-01G7DBCTRCGSFP6NWA1S9C6KBP.png

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Stephan's Quintet (NIRCam and MIRI Composite Image)​

STScI-01G7DA7WM13DBQNKV4EHRFCCJ7.png

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan

Diameter of universe:

I agree that life is (and was) all over the darn place... problem is, it's all so mind bogglingly far away
But, that's just the problem.... looking at those images, you see fully developed galaxies, billions of light years away.
If the universe is actually that diameter, then assuming we're in the middle of the universe, the edge of the universe is 2.7x10*23 miles, or 45.9 trillion light years away (unless I did the math wrong?).
Even if some of the galaxies in that image were 13.8 billion light years away, they should be nothing but twinkles in the big bang's eye--just one big amorphous cloud of gas.
Yet, there they are. Fully formed.
So, the universe is either infinitely old, or it's age is irrelevant to how fast / slow it developed. Or there are huge things we still don't understand about light, gravity, relativity, matter, etc. Either way, the concept of the universe evolving (and, by extension alien life evolving on other worlds in other galaxies) has to be reconsidered.
In other words, the possibility of life having evolved on billions of other planets over those billions of years is just as possible as the universe popping into existence, caused by a Creator, and Earth being the only planet in all the universe with intelligent life.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Diameter of universe:

I wonder how they would estimate that diameter. It seems like there really is no boundary so what would be the edge? It really is mind boggling.