RUMOR Source: Chargers/Rams Join Trade Talk for Zach Ertz

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am guessing it would probably be just the reverse! Kupp and a Draft Pick for Ragnow!! I would consider the Rams very lucky if they could get a straight trade of Kupp for Ragnow!!! But, that would get Ragnow back with Stafford AND Kupp back with Goff!!! EVERYBODY would be Happy (RIGHT?!!!)!

Or the Lions could just trade a second for Kupp and keep their All Pro Center.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
That was the point of the post. As well as opening up some flexibility for the other moves. It's all hypothetical but we have some people who think they are real GM's and received the "call" ...I won't mention names!!!!

That's said do you have a feeling one of our receivers will be going. I really can't shake that feeling.

Personally, Kupp & Woods are my two favorite Rams WR’s and I would hate to see Kupp leave but I do think that trade would end up being good for both Kupp & Ragnow as well as for Stafford, Goff, the Lions and the Rams!!!

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Personally, Kupp & Woods are my two favorite Rams WR’s and I would hate to see Kupp leave but I do think that trade would end up being good for both Kupp & Ragnow as well as for Stafford, Goff, the Lions and the Rams!!!

I love both of them two they are just fun to watch great hands excellent route runners and probably two of the better blocking receivers in the league. I don't know what it would really take because I'm not an actual GM lol but the bigger picture there was basically any trade of that type opens up the ability to probably fill 2-4 positions. It would hurt though those two dudes are all heart.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I like Higbee and believe he's a good fit with Stafford. But if they were going in another direction.....say Ertz and Hopkins.....if they traded Higbee post June 1, it's only a $600,000 cap hit and $6.875.000 savings. I hope not but it's an option. Lord knows as soon as they sign a player to a nice extension, it's practically a sure thing he's going elsewhere!!!! If I were Kupp and Woods, I'd have a real estate agent on speed dial.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I respect that, but if I'm the Lions, I have no interest in trading Ragnow. He was an All Pro in 2020. He's a building block for that team. You don't trade for a pocket passer and then trade away an All Pro OL. It's a lot easier to find a productive WR than it is to find an All Pro Center.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I am guessing it would probably be just the reverse! Kupp and a Draft Pick for Ragnow!! I would consider the Rams very lucky if they could get a straight trade of Kupp for Ragnow!!! But, that would get Ragnow back with Stafford AND Kupp back with Goff!!! EVERYBODY would be Happy (RIGHT?!!!)!

Goff is going to be very happy to have a capable center.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
I respect that, but if I'm the Lions, I have no interest in trading Ragnow. He was an All Pro in 2020. He's a building block for that team. You don't trade for a pocket passer and then trade away an All Pro OL. It's a lot easier to find a productive WR than it is to find an All Pro Center.

I agree! But, I can dream!!!

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kupps cover nuts, trade me and yo
Yeah, at some point you can’t keep loading the books. I think restructuring works for tweaks, but not adding a full additional top end guy. We seem tapped.

It feels to me, someone has to go (if we add a bigger name FA).

You mentioned Brockers, yes... he’d be another area for possible dollar shifting.
There comes a time when the money shell game feels like Bernie Madoff is a Rams employee!

MachS

Hall of Fame
A healthy Ertz would be a big upgrade at TE. I like Higbee but Ertz is on a different level as a receiver no doubt. Problem is he's coming off injury and $8M....I mean its a tough call given our cap situation. If we could extend him for one year and get his contract down I would be okay with it. But does that mean we just give up on Hopkins? Ertz would be a great mentor for him though. I would rather use that money to improve OL/WR/OLB/ILB but I'll trust McSnead on this one. Something tells me we're going to make a few more off-season moves. I personally think Havenstein is gone.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Or the Lions could just trade a second for Kupp and keep their All Pro Center.

I'll admit, I didn't know Ragnow was ranked up there but I'm not trading Kupp for just a 2nd with no one to replace him. I don't see Jefferson as a viable replacement for Kupp as he hasn't shown enough yet for me to feel comfortable. Rams just need to find a center without losing any offensive weapons and we'll be in business. All these other scenarios keep shifting holes if u ask me. Lack of cap room is really making this off-season suck in terms of not losing one or 2 good players.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll admit, I didn't know Ragnow was ranked up there but I'm not trading Kupp for just a 2nd with no one to replace him. I don't see Jefferson as a viable replacement for Kupp as he hasn't shown enough yet for me to feel comfortable. Rams just need to find a center without losing any offensive weapons and we'll be in business. All these other scenarios keep shifting holes if u ask me. Lack of cap room is really making this off-season suck in terms of not losing one or 2 good players.

The replacement for Kupp, if traded, would be Marvin Jones in FA. He has said he wants to come to LA and play with Stafford. Jefferson would still be the #3 WR.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
The replacement for Kupp, if traded, would be Marvin Jones in FA. He has said he wants to come to LA and play with Stafford. Jefferson would still be the #3 WR.
Don't view Marvin Jones as better than Kupp or close to his route running. Wish we could have him team up with Woods and Kupp, now that would be deadly

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't view Marvin Jones as better than Kupp or close to his route running. Wish we could have him team up with Woods and Kupp, now that would be deadly

He doesn't need to be. Jones would add something different to our offense. They'd make the move to allow Van Jefferson to move to the slot.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He doesn't need to be. Jones would add something different to our offense. They'd make the move to allow Van Jefferson to move to the slot.
That's how I'd view it also. Not that I want to trade Kupp, but Woods is more reliable/durable between the two.

Jones Jr and Woods on the outside with Jefferson in the slot would be solid.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame

Still like Kupp, Woods and Jones better as we'd have depth with that combo too. Not saying I wouldn't understand the move, but if I had to choose between Jones and Kupp, I'd keep Kupp all day.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Still like Kupp, Woods and Jones better as we'd have depth with that combo too. Not saying I wouldn't understand the move, but if I had to choose between Jones and Kupp, I'd keep Kupp all day.

Well, that's not the extent of the choice. If Kupp and Woods stay, it doesn't make much sense to pay Jones (and it wouldn't be easy with our cap situation). Trading Kupp would save $10 million in cap, which could be used to sign Jones and another FA or the draft class. So the question is would you prefer Kupp or Jones, a mid-level FA, and a second round pick. I don't think we need to trade Kupp or Woods, but if we are considering signing Jones, it makes sense to trade one of the two. I don't take pleasure in that. I think very highly of both guys and would hate to see them leave.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Well, that's not the extent of the choice. If Kupp and Woods stay, it doesn't make much sense to pay Jones (and it wouldn't be easy with our cap situation). Trading Kupp would save $10 million in cap, which could be used to sign Jones and another FA or the draft class. So the question is would you prefer Kupp or Jones, a mid-level FA, and a second round pick. I don't think we need to trade Kupp or Woods, but if we are considering signing Jones, it makes sense to trade one of the two. I don't take pleasure in that. I think very highly of both guys and would hate to see them leave.

It would also be another admission of organizational failure not only on the contract front but on the evaluation of what kind of players the team wants long term.

Sure, you can trade players, and things can change, but why resign both Kupp and Woods if that combination turns out to not be what you need going forward? And why then draft Jefferson? It's not as if they didn't know what they had to work with.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame

I'd rather they sign a deep threat WR (either a cheap free agent or draft one). I really don't think that the deep threat needs to be someone that costs a lot as we just really need that WR to stretch the field and run simple deep routes. One of the FA WRs that I like that may become free is John Brown, but his only issue is he gets nicked up. Unfortunately feels we have to go a cheap route to supplement the WR room with a deep threat. I agree with you in hating to see any of our current WRs move. We'll soon find out what the Rams FO thinks of our WRs.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It would also be another admission of organizational failure not only on the contract front but on the evaluation of what kind of players the team wants long term.

Sure, you can trade players, and things can change, but why resign both Kupp and Woods if that combination turns out to not be what you need going forward? And why then draft Jefferson? It's not as if they didn't know what they had to work with.

That's accurate. The good news is that we won't have to eat a ton of dead cap if we trade Woods or Kupp. I'd also say that this one is more understandable because of the QB change.

I'd rather they sign a deep threat WR (either a cheap free agent or draft one). I really don't think that the deep threat needs to be someone that costs a lot as we just really need that WR to stretch the field and run simple deep routes. One of the FA WRs that I like that may become free is John Brown, but his only issue is he gets nicked up. Unfortunately feels we have to go a cheap route to supplement the WR room with a deep threat. I agree with you in hating to see any of our current WRs move. We'll soon find out what the Rams FO thinks of our WRs.

Jones can function as a deep threat.