Something that’s surprised me so far about final cutdowns...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
NFL teams were forced to cut a collective 1184 players by Saturday afternoon.

Yet, as of this posting, not a single one of them has been added to the Ram 53.

Not even for our lackluster backup QB room.

Is our roster THAT strong?

Doesn’t make a helluva lot of sense to me, given how smart and bold S&M have been, you know? Sigh...

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Well, the cut players have to clear waivers which means when another team that had a worse record than the rams claims them, they go to that team. I guess we had such a good record last year that we are being beat out by the lesser teams. It was reported that we did try to get some players but they were scooped up by the lesser teams.

The pains of being a good team.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame

Doesn’t make a helluva lot of sense to me, given how smart and bold S&M have been, you know? Sigh...

@VeteranRamFan beat me to it. One of our reporters cryptically tweeted that we HAD made a claim on at least one released player. This was during the chaos of Saturday’s releases, before it was clear whether we would get that player.

Clearly, another team was awarded that player. I am not that upset about it. I like our roster. But with a little sleuthing, perhaps we could guess whom we may have tried to obtain.

I’m thinking Les is zeroing in on Christian Hindenburg.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
With being a better team and thus having minimal opportunity with waiver claims, now it's more important to have a lot of draft picks even if they are 6th and 7th rounders.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame

I’m impressed by Bonsignore so far, in his writing and journalistic maturity. (Something sadly rare in this age)

I think the Rams have a few good journalists that cover the team right now. Even Myles is coming along.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Two elderly ladies in the Catskill mountain resort, and one of 'em says,
"Boy, this food is terrible"
The other one says, "yeah and such small portions"

Okay lemme see how we've done here in the last year (beside waiver wire)

We just signed Aaron Donald.
We have two capable backup QB's
We have Kromer
Wade reigns
Goff and Gurley and in their second year with McVay
We just went to the playoffs and aren't a laughing stock
We reached out about Mack
Signed Suh
Brought in Talib, Peters,Sheilds
Resigned Cooks, Havenstein
....there is more
I'm just tired of typing

GO RAMS

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Connor Cook and EJ Manuel are both free agents after they were both cut by the Raiders.

At least we know EJ Manuel won't soil himself because he's making his first start. :D

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Not trying to be an ass but it could just be McSnead has a better pulse of our backup QB situation than some of RODs finest; they know the full scope, they’ve seen what we’ve seen, apparently it’s the things we don’t/can’t see that maintains status quo

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Not trying to be an ass but it could just be McSnead has a better pulse of our backup QB situation than some of RODs finest; they know the full scope, they’ve seen what we’ve seen, apparently it’s the things we don’t/can’t see that maintains status quo

What would we have to debate about and talk about here if we didn't question the coaches and experts? :D
Perhaps McVay realizes the two quarterbacks we have on our roster are more experienced at running this offense.
Not that they're necessarily better overall quarterbacks than some of the other quarterbacks available.

No reason to panic with a perfectly healthy and apparently durable Goff.

However, why not pick up an experienced EJ Manuel, put Allen on the practice squad (because he obviously needs practice. :D ) and see if EJ Manuel can be that long-term solution backup because I don't see any reason to resign Mannion even to vet minimum.

The Rams front office seems to have a real ability for developing guys.
Why not see if we can develop out Manual?

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Tuesday morning, 4th of September, no waived QB's signed by the Rams....

The Unemployed

Landry Jones
Paxton Lynch
Connor Cook
EJ Manuel
Christian Hackenberg

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

Point is though those 6th and 7th rounders are the type of player that you might be claiming on waivers... higher quality UDFA types that are borderline roster guys.... hence they might be able to fill a hole in your depth somewhere.

Guys like Blake Countess or Marqui Christian, who were waiver pickups in the past and now are the depth at S.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Landry Jones - a possibility
Paxton Lynch - no thank you
Connor Cook - no thank you
EJ Manuel - a possibility
Christian Hackenberg - no thank you

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Marqui Christian, who (was a) waiver pickup in the past and now (is part of the) depth at S.
Christian was a fifth round developmental pick who the Cardinals risked putting on waivers in an attempt to put on their practice squad.
They did this so they could bring in a special teams player for one week.

The best part?

They publicly admitted that they had SCREWED UP.

Somehow that makes me like Christian even more. :D

Last edited:

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Point is though those 6th and 7th rounders are the type of player that you might be claiming on waivers... higher quality UDFA types that are borderline roster guys.... hence they might be able to fill a hole in your depth somewhere.

Guys like Blake Countess or Marqui Christian, who were waiver pickups in the past and now are the depth at S.

Great examples - love both those guys!

fearsomefour

Legend

depends I think.
Look at the young LBs on our roster now. The staff is probably still trying to figure them out....strengths, weaknesses, what can be improved on and what cant.....class room time and transitioning to real games will tell a lot of the tale.
Since that is still being evaluated a guy cut from another team would have to be clearly physically better than the guys they are trying to get dialed in.
Don't see that really in terms of most of the positions.