Somebody is getting Sam Darnold cheap

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Man... is he really broken? Never was worth it?

I can’t help but wonder if he’s still workable... Someone will find out, cheap.

A 2nd rounder, or someone with high 3rd gonna grab him? Position swap in draft?

What Jets' 2021 NFL draft might look like, with and without Sam Darnold

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- A look at what's happening around the New York Jets:

1. QB options: With Carson Wentz reportedly on his way to the Indianapolis Colts in the latest blockbuster quarterback trade, the spotlight shifts to the Jets and Sam Darnold. Do they join the carousel by dealing Darnold or do they give him one more chance?

The clock is ticking. If the Jets don't make a decision by the start of NFL free agency (March 17), they risk losing Darnold's market. It's a tough call because it's not simply Darnold versus drafting a quarterback with the No. 2 overall pick; another consideration is the amount of draft capital they would receive in different scenarios related to trading/keeping Darnold.

Let's have some fun and project how the draft might play out in each situation (not necessarily in the order of likelihood):

Scenario 1: Trade Darnold, draft a quarterback. Publicly, the Jets haven't committed to Darnold. Taken at face value, it means they're looking for an upgrade -- as they should. If they deal their onetime quarterback of the future, it means they're sold on a quarterback in the draft. Our hunch is that it's BYU's Zach Wilson, assuming Trevor Lawrence goes No. 1 to the Jacksonville Jaguars.

There are some who believe the Jets could get more for Darnold than what the Philadelphia Eagles received for Wentz -- a 2021 third-rounder and a 2022 conditional second-round pick that can rise to a first-rounder based on playing time. Wentz was an MVP candidate in 2017, but he also has baggage -- a big contract, an injury history and questions about his coachability. As one league source said, "Darnold is cheap. He has two years left [on his contract, including the fifth-year option]. Great kid, poor team."

In our projection, the Jets trade Darnold to the Washington Football Team for a swap of first-round picks (Nos. 19 and 23), a 2021 second-round pick (No. 51) and a 2022 third-rounder. The one caveat is Deshaun Watson. If the Houston Texans decide to trade their star, the Jets must be prepared to pivot quickly. Removing Watson from the equation, the Jets could walk away with these picks and prospects (see scenario 1 chart).

Scenario 2: Keep Darnold, draft best player available. The Jets reportedly have fielded trade inquiries on Darnold from a handful of teams.

A source from one of those teams came away with the impression Darnold won't be dealt. If that's the case, the Jets can use their draft capital to build around him. If they opt for the status quo -- risky, considering Darnold's underwhelming body of work -- their prospect haul could look like this (see scenario 2 chart):

Scenario 3: Keep Darnold, trade down. The Jets could make a killing if a quarterback-needy team below them wants to swap picks.

The Atlanta Falcons (No. 4), Philadelphia Eagles (No. 6) and Carolina Panthers (No. 8) are the most likely suitors. It's a rather steep drop, but let's project a trade with the Panthers, who seem particularly fired up for a new quarterback. In our scenario, the Jets would get the Panthers' second-round pick (No. 39) and a 2022 first-rounder, giving them three first-round picks in 2022.

Even if the Jets have reservations about Darnold, their feelings could be assuaged by the size of the draft haul. If they need to draft his replacement in 2022, they'd have those three first-rounders to make it happen. That's what you call quarterback insurance.

In the meantime, they could draft six players in the first three rounds (see scenario 3 chart):

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
San Francisco is going to end up with somebody, we all know that and it could be Darnold. I still believe in his talent because the New York Jets were a complete mess under Gase. It's also possible because of Robert Saleh there and other former 49er assistants, a deal could get done as I expect the Jets to draft Zachary Kapono Wilson as the hype train on him right now is out of control.

In reference to Wilson I actually heard Linda Cohen (have to stop listening to her, even if it's for 5 seconds) saying she might pick Wilson over Lawrence because Lawrence has been not consistent in big games....Almost drove off the road laughing so loud....Hey Linda, how many big games has BYU been in?

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Darnold is what I imagine Goff would be like if McVay never came along.

It might be too late for him now, but I think he's salvageable in the right situation.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I never thought Darnold was going to succeed. Something about those USC QBs. They just don't work out. Carson Palmer was the exception in the last 20+ years.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I never thought Darnold was going to succeed. Something about those USC QBs. They just don't work out. Carson Palmer was the exception in the last 20+ years.
Ironically, the QB that is likely the 2nd "best" in the last 20 years is the one who never even started a game for them in Matt Cassel.....
Darnold just isnt good. He took NCAA by storm as a soph but his second year showed many issues he has now. Indecisive, not accurate, happy feet. He's got the physical makeup, size etc, so he'll get 1 shot at redemption, but he'll flame out

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
@Corbin I don't know shit about Matt, but, I can say with absokute certainty that if Mark didn't let have nice feet, Rex Ryan would have never allowed him to play as long as he did. Lmmfao

Psycho_X

Legend
Yeah? And how do you explain Matt Sanchez?

View: https://youtu.be/rAp57G1hLn0

It is the greatest non-Ram play in NFL history I will admit.

Sam Darnold kinda reminds me of Sam Bradford frankly without the knee issues. A player with enough talent to justify playing in the NFL but has his future beaten out of him on a bad team. Would be serviceable on a good team but not sure he can recover from the Jets.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Even though he's athletic, Darnold is a TO machine, even in his college days. We got rid of Goff because of this. TOs cost games, and since he has an extended history doing this, I don't see this part of his game changing.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wouldn't be surprised if he's starting for the Saints next year

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
There are many QBs that come into the league with great physical ability as a passer. The deciding factor on their NFL success is always mental make-up. Can they read NFL defenses? Can they anticipate open receivers? Can they make the right decisions under pressure. Most of all can they do these things within three seconds while footballs biggest, fastest athletes are flying around the field at speeds these QBs have never encountered before. The mental aspect is bigger than the physical when you consider Brees and Brady are not as physically gifted as most QBs drafted in round 1.

I don’t think that speed of thought and synapse can be changed by NFL coaching. Guys like Darnold, and Bradford are who they are. They didn’t get ruined. They can only improve slightly. Darnold will never be a top QB in the league. He is similar to Winston. Any team giving up a first rounder for him is desperate. When does a first round pick that failed with his first team ever hold first round value after proving for three years that he shouldn’t ever have been a first round pick in the first place.

Maybe if he goes to a team with a very solid system that is QB friendly he will look better. I wouldn’t mind at all if he went to the Niners. Darnold isn’t scaring anyone.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I've been a Pac 8, 10, 12 fan all my life. It is amazing how few USC QBs translate to the NFL. PAC QBs in general but it seems USC has a special place in that area.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I've been a Pac 8, 10, 12 fan all my life. It is amazing how few USC QBs translate to the NFL. PAC QBs in general but it seems USC has a special place in that area.

Herbert seems to be a real exception! I think he is going to be a stud.

I honestly thought Brett Hundley was going to be a star....miffed on that one! Lol

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
San Francisco is going to end up with somebody, we all know that and it could be Darnold. I still believe in his talent because the New York Jets were a complete mess under Gase. It's also possible because of Robert Saleh there and other former 49er assistants, a deal could get done as I expect the Jets to draft Zachary Kapono Wilson as the hype train on him right now is out of control.

In reference to Wilson I actually heard Linda Cohen (have to stop listening to her, even if it's for 5 seconds) saying she might pick Wilson over Lawrence because Lawrence has been not consistent in big games....Almost drove off the road laughing so loud....Hey Linda, how many big games has BYU been in?
That is freaking hilarious. Totally over hyped. I still like Darnell & would hate the 9ers getting him for a :3rd pick.The last time he was at SoFI he beat the Rams.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Darnold is still a mystery to me. He has had some turnover issues but IIRC he also put up 5 games last year of 100+ rating. In his first 3 seasons he's only started 38 games with some truly bad Jeff Fisher level coaching in Bowles for a year followed by Gase. In those 38 games he's got 45 TD and 39 INT neither a good ration but he's also been completely devoid of offensive talent and OL especially around him.

Compare that to our own Matt Stafford's first 38 games which took into his 4th year compared to Darnold's 3 years and you get 71 TD 45 INT but lets not forget that's with Megatron, Nate Burleson and a TE like Brandon Pettigrew. Starting year 2 Stafford had the luxury of Scott Linehan as his OC and while not the best coach he was considered a top OC for a while.

I'm curious where he goes it might be interesting to see what he can do with some coaching and people to throw to along with a blocker or five.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
I'm curious where he goes it might be interesting to see what he can do with some coaching and people to throw to along with a blocker or five.
I think 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan could turn Darnold
into a top ten caliber QB

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I think 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan could turn Darnold
into a top ten caliber QB
That one and the Saints are the two teams I don't want to take the chance on signing/trading for him.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pondering the Darnold all the threads in Jet websites...

Darold Sucks But???
If Darnold had an Oline???
Saleh has the cure for Darnold!!!
Deshaun is all we need!!!
Deshaun =Super Bowl!!!
Watch out Belechick Darnold has a coach!!!
No Namath, No Namath, No Namath....
Sam=SOSAJ

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I think he's Ryan Tannehill Jr. He needs good coaching, scheme and talent around him, but I think he can play at a high level.