So this guy thinks the Rams pass rush is going to struggle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
<a class="postlink" href="http://mmqb.si.com/2013/08/15/nfl-preseason-first-impressions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://mmqb.si.com/2013/08/15/nfl-prese ... pressions/</a>

Whilst he does go on to say that we are building a powerhouse, i just thought the statement was laughable. Clearly didn't even think to look at last years stats and then consider the improvements that the Defence has made for this year...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Re: So this guy thinks the Rams pass rush is going to strugg

He's making that assumption by watching practice?

lol.

BobCarl

Rookie

jsimcox said:
http://mmqb.si.com/2013/08/15/nfl-preseason-first-impressions/

Whilst he does go on to say that we are building a powerhouse, i just thought the statement was laughable. Clearly didn't even think to look at last years stats and then consider the improvements that the Defence has made for this year...

Always take what the national media says with a few grains of salt.

Have you ever seen them visit training camp? They show their press pass, walk along the sidelines, shake hands with a few people, watch practice for @ 10 minutes and then they leave.

He can make an entire season's prediction based on a brief "one-on-one" drill?

The Rams DE's are the least of my worries going into this season, if Long suffers a significant injury, then the pass rush will struggle.

Fisher likes sacks. The Rams will tally a lot of them.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

It's a stupid comment but having said that, we didn't look very good against the Browns. Please don't mention vanilla if you respond to this cause I'll just refer you to what Coach Venturi said about that.

On a related note, I constantly hear stories about Quinn being a one trick pony when it comes to his pass rush. he continues to get steered wide of the pocket by Long and others. Why do I never see him even try other pass rush moves if our D-line coach is so good? Just wondering. have any of you regular camp goers seen him working on other moves?

jjab360

Legend

albefree69 said:
It's a stupid comment but having said that, we didn't look very good against the Browns. Please don't mention vanilla if you respond to this cause I'll just refer you to what Coach Venturi said about that.

On a related note, I constantly hear stories about Quinn being a one trick pony when it comes to his pass rush. he continues to get steered wide of the pocket by Long and others. Why do I never see him even try other pass rush moves if our D-line coach is so good? Just wondering. have any of you regular camp goers seen him working on other moves?
What did Venturi say about that?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

albefree69 said:

I respect Venturi, but the more I watch that game, the more I echo what the Browns' offensive linemen said about that day. We just weren't even trying to blow up their QB. I noticed that from the first snap, really. Very few blitzes, and it just looked like they were going through the motions and kinda half-assing it for the most part. There were a few guys flying around, but they were rookies (Armstrong, Ogletree, McDonald, Rashard Hall, etc).

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

jjab360 inquired:
What did Venturi say about that?
The short version is that the scheme used is no excuse for lack of execution. Think of the clash between the O-line and the D-line as a bunch of 1 on 1s. We didn't win any of them.

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

albefree69 said:
As Paul said, i think that says more about the Browns having actually having game-planned last week than it does about the Rams ability to get to the QB.
They had a new HC in who wanted to make a statement by winning his first game, be it pre-season or not. It was clear that they wanted to win by the amount of blitzes they ran etc

Kosar must have been delighted at their game plan. I mean after all, it was better than ours, the play-calling was by the Rams was just awful... Who runs on 3rd and 8 in the 4th quarter ;)

Was that the right sarcastic font?

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

jsimcox veering the conversation to an unrelated tangent:
As Paul said, i think that says more about the Browns having actually having game-planned last week than it does about the Rams ability to get to the QB.
They had a new HC in who wanted to make a statement by winning his first game, be it pre-season or not. It was clear that they wanted to win by the amount of blitzes they ran etc

That's all fine and good but I don't believe we're talking about the same thing. You guys are talking about what the Browns did defensively. I'm talking about what the Rams did defensively. This isn't a comparison. The Rams failed to get any pressure on Weeden and that my friends is not a result of game planning. Or the lack of it. It's a result of not winning any individual battles along the line. I don't care about the lack of sacks, I care about the lack of pressure.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

X said:
albefree69 said:

I respect Venturi, but the more I watch that game, the more I echo what the Browns' offensive linemen said about that day. We just weren't even trying to blow up their QB. I noticed that from the first snap, really. Very few blitzes, and it just looked like they were going through the motions and kinda half-assing it for the most part. There were a few guys flying around, but they were rookies (Armstrong, Ogletree, McDonald, Rashard Hall, etc).
Yeah, didn't Staley say that the Rams just stood there and let themselves be blocked?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

albefree69 said:
jsimcox veering the conversation to a somewhat related tangent:

That's all fine and good but I don't believe we're talking about the same thing. You guys are talking about what the Browns did defensively. I'm talking about what the Rams did defensively. This isn't a comparison. The Rams failed to get any pressure on Weeden and that my friends is not a result of game planning. Or the lack of it. It's a result of not winning any individual battles along the line. I don't care about the lack of sacks, I care about the lack of pressure.
I can't speak for jsimcox, but I was speaking about what we were doing defensively. Yes, we should have won those one-on-one matchups, but it didn't seem like it was all that important to our veterans on the D-line. Which was reinforced by a Browns O-lineman who said we were just kinda letting them do what they wanted. That's my own perception from re-watching the game too. I've seen motors run WAY higher than what I saw against the Browns, so maybe they just weren't all that invested in making a good showing in that *practice* game. Bottom line, for me, is that I'm going to reserve judgement about that meaningless game and look forward to one more meaningful (preaseason game 3-4, and regular season game 1).

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

albefree69 said:

On that point i would imagine its more a lack of effort on the part of the Rams D. They didn't really look like they were trying to me. Im not worried about Long, Brockers or Quinn at all, and they constitute most of our pass rush.
My previous post was veering a little towards the end, however, the Browns O-Line could still have game-planned for us. Watching lots of film on the Rams line etc could be perceived as game planning.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

I agree about the lack of effort being the probable culprit, I just disagree with thinking that it isn't a problem.

You play like you practice

<a class="postlink" href="http://37signals.com/svn/posts/3504-you-play-like-you-practice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://37signals.com/svn/posts/3504-you ... u-practice</a>
Jason Fried wrote this:

Back in high school my track coach would often get on me about my sloppy block practice. He’d say “You aren’t setting up in the blocks properly. You’re rushing it, just going through the motions.” I’d say “Why does it matter right now? I’m not racing anyone today. I’ll do it right at the meet this weekend.”
“I’ll tell you why it matters” he’d say, sternly. “You play like you practice. Practice sloppy and you’ll play sloppy.”
You’ll play like you practice. You’re not going to be sharp unless you practice being sharp. I’ve heard this again over the years.
A few years ago I took a self-defense class. At one point in the class, we worked with fake handguns. We each had a partner and we had to work on scenarios where a gun might be involved.
The instructor repeatedly said, “When your turn is over, do not hand the gun to your partner. Instead, they’ll turn their back, and you’ll just drop it on the ground so they can pick it up and start the exercise over.”
That sounded weird. You’re right next to the person, why would you drop the gun so they had to pick it up?
Without having to ask why, the instructor explained himself: “If you practice handing the gun over to your partner now, you might end up handing the gun over to an actual assailant later. Don’t laugh, I’ve seen it happen.” Then he showed us surveillance camera footage of someone doing it in robbery.
It sounded ridiculous. Why would I ever give my gun to someone who’s attacking me? The answer is because if I practiced doing that earlier, I might do it later.
When humans are in stressful situations, we tend to fall back on our practice. If I practiced handing my gun over, I might mindlessly fall back on that when it mattered most. That would be bad.
Skip steps now, you’ll skip them later. Cut corners now, you’ll cut them later. You get used to what you do most of the time.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

albefree69 said:
I agree about the lack of effort being the probable culprit, I just disagree with thinking that it isn't a problem.
Would you consider it a problem if you knew that Fisher told the D-line to dog it?
Similarly, did you think our stellar showing in game 1 of the 2011 preseason was a precursor to a great season? lol.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

This is what our D-line looked like against the Browns. :lol:

[instagram]http://instagram.com/p/dDFRI7AryS/[/instagram]

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

Joe Thomas setting the record straight:

"They were about as vanilla as you possibly could be last week, so it wasn’t a challenge at all figuring what we needed to do because they just stood there for us,'' Thomas said. "We're going to be playing a few more snaps than we did last time and we're going to see a little more complex defense."

I said Staley earlier, what a dumbass.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

DR RAM said:
Joe Thomas setting the record straight:

"They were about as vanilla as you possibly could be last week, so it wasn’t a challenge at all figuring what we needed to do because they just stood there for us,'' Thomas said. "We're going to be playing a few more snaps than we did last time and we're going to see a little more complex defense."

I said Staley earlier, what a dumbass.
Tomato, Tomahto.

I mean, it only makes sense. Why would our D-line regress over the course of one offseason with the same personnel in the same system for a second year? Of course Fisher's not gonna come out and say, "Yeah, I told them to just stand around, basically." But he did say "Yes, we stayed very basic and that was our intention. The first preseason game is never an indication of where you're at because there are so many things going on."

Good enough for me. Let's see what happens when he starts to turn them loose again. Our first game is against Arizona, so how much tape do we want to give them in these glorified practices? My guess would be ... not a whole helluva lot.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

X asked:
Would you consider it a problem if you knew that Fisher told the D-line to dog it?
Similarly, did you think our stellar showing in game 1 of the 2011 preseason was a precursor to a great season? lol.

Yes and no. I would consider it to be a coaching problem and not a player problem. I'm not sure which is worse.

As I mentioned before in another thread, not playing hard leads to injuries because, among other things, when you're playing hard you provide the force and when you're not playing hard the other guy provides the force. Here is very short article discussing this issue.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.wikihow.com/Stay-Injury-Free-in-Football" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.wikihow.com/Stay-Injury-Free-in-Football</a>
Football, a contact sport, is one of the most physical games played. Players passionate about the game hope to stay injury free in order to be their best at all times. You cannot play football without a chance of injury, but you can reduce your chances.
Avoiding injury is not all about shying away from contact. It is about being in control of the situation. None of these steps can 100% protect you, but each one is important in helping to avoid injury.

That is just one article talking about that issue. I can find many more. Yeah, let's do things that have a greater chance of causing injures. After all, it's not like we ever have any of those. Perhaps if Saffold had been giving 100% his opponent wouldn't have blown by him so fast and by doing so, forcing him to try and stop him with one arm.

You can debate this all you want but I doubt you'll be able to come up with any evidence that I'm wrong about this.

But I welcome the debate.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

albefree69 said:
X asked:

Yes and no. I would consider it to be a coaching problem and not a player problem. I'm not sure which is worse.

As I mentioned before in another thread, not playing hard leads to injuries because, among other things, when you're playing hard you provide the force and when you're not playing hard the other guy provides the force. Here is very short article discussing this issue.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.wikihow.com/Stay-Injury-Free-in-Football" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.wikihow.com/Stay-Injury-Free-in-Football</a>
Football, a contact sport, is one of the most physical games played. Players passionate about the game hope to stay injury free in order to be their best at all times. You cannot play football without a chance of injury, but you can reduce your chances.
Avoiding injury is not all about shying away from contact. It is about being in control of the situation. None of these steps can 100% protect you, but each one is important in helping to avoid injury.

That is just one article talking about that issue. I can find many more. Yeah, let's do things that have a greater chance of causing injures. After all, it's not like we ever have any of those. Perhaps if Saffold had been giving 100% his opponent wouldn't have blown by him so fast and by doing so, forcing him to try and stop him with one arm.

You can debate this all you want but I doubt you'll be able to come up with any evidence that I'm wrong about this.
I certainly DON'T think that Saffold was playing half-assed.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

DR RAM with a Ripley's Believe It Or Not moment:
I certainly DON'T think that Saffold was playing half-assed.

So you're saying only some of the players were playing "half-assed"? Which ones? Just the D-line starters?