So the Rams were in talks with Baltimore to move up and get Zack Martin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
What's everyone's thoughts on this? Really emphasizing oline. Must've had a pretty damn high grade on Martin. From Fish "It would’ve been pricey but worth it. It was a good pick for the Cowboys.”

Damn. I don't like giving up extra picks in such a deep draft, but I love the effort to build a dominate Oline. I liked Martin as a prospect too, and the versatility, but damn. This team is exciting in the draft lol.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
What's everyone's thoughts on this? Really emphasizing oline. Must've had a pretty damn high grade on Martin. From Fish "It would’ve been pricey but worth it. It was a good pick for the Cowboys.”

Damn. I don't like giving up extra picks in such a deep draft, but I love the effort to build a dominate Oline. I liked Martin as a prospect too, and the versatility, but damn. This team is exciting in the draft lol.

I just don't know where we would have put him. I mean Barrette Jones probably won't crack the line up until an injury happens.

Slappy967

Starter
That is very surprising given Fishers history with drafting 1st round O line help. I liked Martin a lot but glad we are keeping some pix handy as I'd love to move up to round 2-3 with impunity for multiple picks.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Not to belabor this... but I really really hope we won't go there in at least the 2nd round.

The OL should be set right now: Long/Robinson/Wells (or Jones)/Saffold/Barksdale.

We can get depth later. We need an immediate starter with the 2nd round pick.

3rd round, that will be a little more understandable.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Not to belabor this... but I really really hope we won't go there in at least the 2nd round.

The OL should be set right now: Long/Robinson/Wells (or Jones)/Saffold/Barksdale.

We can get depth later. We need an immediate starter with the 2nd round pick.

3rd round, that will be a little more understandable.
I tend to agree that at #44 we should probably lean more towards the skill positions(DB/WR) but so far the Rams board appears to have been solid. We definitely need a solid pick there. Snishers 2nd rd picks have produced ummm...mixed results so far.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Agreed. I wonder where he would play. Maybe he was to be the ORT, or Robinson was going to be ORT and Martin the LG with Barksdale as swingman.

I like that they thought a player was a great value and attempted to get him despite position.

And we can Finally put the idea to bed that Fishr does not use first round picks on Olinemen! Amen.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I tend to agree that at #44 we should probably lean more towards the skill positions(DB/WR) but so far the Rams board appears to have been solid. We definitely need a solid pick there. Snishers 2nd rd picks have produced ummm...mixed results so far.
I'm not so much hooked on skill positions (and as I've said elsewhere, I'm not sure there's an upgrade to our WR corps left) so much as whoever we pick has to be a day one starter without forcing someone talented onto the bench. I don't see that on OL with Robinson plugging our major need hole.

...that sounded less dirty in my head.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
That is very surprising given Fishers history with drafting 1st round O line help. I liked Martin a lot but glad we are keeping some pix handy as I'd love to move up to round 2-3 with impunity for multiple picks.

Given that coach Fish did not have control of drafts in Tenn, not really sure how surprising.
Just hard to tell where coach will go in the draft when he's never had much control until now.

xander47

Rookie
Fix units as a whole. They're probably not planning on signing Barksdale after this season

Future line:

LT: Robinson
LG: unknown
C: Wells
RG: Saffold
RT: Martin (if we had gotten him) [whoever they decide to draft]

Last edited:

jjab360

Legend
I actually would have really liked this the more that I think about it. Probably would have had to give up a future first, though.

Alan

Legend
Martin was one of the two guys I wanted at #13 before Donald dropped so I'm not surprised at all. I'm actually glad we didn't have the opportunity to trade up for him though. We have too many other holes to fill. Tavon wasn't worth two starters last year and Martin isn't in Tavon's class.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Aren't 12 picks a lot in one draft? Maybe they wanted a little more quality and a little less quantity?

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Martin was one of the two guys I wanted at #13 before Donald dropped so I'm not surprised at all. I'm actually glad we didn't have the opportunity to trade up for him though. We have too many other holes to fill. Tavon wasn't worth two starters last year and Martin isn't in Tavon's class.

As a receiver I agree that Zack Martin isn't in Tavon Austin's class.

Last edited:

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I hear a lot of what guys are saying but...........maybe it wasn't the position. It might have been that particular player. Martin (in the coaches and FO's eyes ...) had an ability that no one else on the board did or does...... So I'm not sure just because his skill set is "blah blah blah" doesn't mean we are looking for that type of player. It may have meant....we wanted that player.

Alan

Legend
moklerman liking quality over quantity:
Aren't 12 picks a lot in one draft? Maybe they wanted a little more quality and a little less quantity?
SF has 12 picks also. but the majority of their picks are 4th round and higher. Even in this deep draft I only expect to get starters in the top 3 1/2 rounds. Do you really think that three 7th round and two 6th round picks are worth very much? That comprises almost half our picks. So yeah, I wanted quality myself, which is why I'm glad we didn't "waste" any trading up. Do you think anyone would have traded their 17th pick in the draft for our 44th plus three 7ths, two 6ths, one 5th and even a 4th rounder? I doubt that. We'd probably have had to give up a 2nd rounder in next years draft plus this years 2nd. At the very least.