So glad we didn't draft Manziel

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's not really doing anything *wrong* in the sense that it's illegal or reckless, but he is acting like an entitled bitch and that's not going to sit well with the veterans in that locker room. Act like a celebrity when you've earned the status. Until then you just look like kind of a dick.
hey, any quarterback that can lead his team to a national collegiate champio............ oops:whistle:

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
The kid is a spoiled rich brat with great talent. I doubt that he'll mature in time to save his career. After that he'll go back to Texas and chase 19 yo girls for the next 50 years.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I think Fisher ALWAYS knew he was Vince Young part deux

I disagree here because Manziel is very smart. Scored really well on the wonderlic just seems to crave attention in every way. IMO once the season starts, he will simmer down focus on fooball and be a very good and dangerous NFL QB barring injury. But again that's JMHO because I am a big believer in Thomas Paine and commone sense.

Kid has the smarts (on the field not off) and has a great arm can make all the throws and the ability to escape the pocket and keep the play alive. Seems to have the ability to rally his team where they will play hard for him and is in a city that is craving a "hero"...IMO Manziel in Cleveland is the "Perfect Storm."

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
He's been used to playing with guys who were men among boys in college - Evans, Joeckl, Matthews...

He'll have the line thing going for him in Cleveland. Those receivers (without Gordon) though...Cameron will probably have about 140 targets this year because Miles Austin will have a hamstring pull in TC, then you're down to Nate Burleson and Andrew Hawkins. Not good.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
It sure seems that the Browns should have had a much tight collar on this guy and there must be some special clauses in his control besides the personal conduct out that most teams have.

He is alienating team mates apparently and who would not be tired of his look at me attitude already. I'm sure the "I'm not changing for anyone" quote is probably taken out of context but I'm also sure he is a spoiled rich kid that need to get broken down a couple of times or he will never be worth a damn.

I too am glad that the Rams checking him out for a first round (or any round for that matter) pick was all smoke.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
If I was Ray Farmer, I would sit Captain Ego on the bench to watch Hoyer play all year and slap a playbook in his lap for him to study. If he still doesn't take professional football seriously and cooperate with what the organization asks of him, trade him for a new draft pick. Manziel is never going to be a great NFL QB if he doesn't have his head on straight. There are about a million other athletes out there who are focused on bettering themselves and patiently waiting for a chance to steal this joker's spot on the roster.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I respectfully disagree. TAMU runs an Air Raid offense which is the type of offense that TTU ran for years with success and Houston ran with Case Keenum when he put up unreal numbers. It relies on spreading the field and quarter/half field reads. The QB's job is to get the ball out quickly to his primary read. It was something you saw often with Manziel and is a big reason why he had such good stats in the pocket. He would go through his first progression or two and if they weren't open...he ran. He wouldn't scan the field. He didn't really do much reading of the field post-snap. He read his quarter or half and if it wasn't there, he scrambled to allow something to open up or to run.

That doesn't work in the NFL. Teams can match-up to the spread and disguise their looks way too well. Plus, with the athletes on the DL, he's just not going to be able to run around until a WR opens up like he did in college.

His mental game needs to improve significantly for him to be successful. He can't rely on the two reads and run style that he did in college. He has to start reading the entire field pre-snap and understanding how to read it and manipulate it post-snap.
Totally agree.

I don't think his game translates well to the NFL and, the first time he tucks it away and tries some of the things he was able to get away with in college, he'll get hurt.

The NFL is the cream of the crop... you just can't do what you did in college in the NFL.

I thnk he'll get exposed.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hypothetical:

What if the Rams had drafted Manziel and he was acting this way?

(for the theoretical, assume the Browns would have done all the same things the Rams would have done with respect to "teaching" him how to behave but he continued)

Would that change your view on his antics?

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Hypothetical:

(for the theoretical, assume the Browns would have done all the same things the Rams would have done with respect to "teaching" him how to behave but he continued)

Impossible to answer 100% accurately, but I'm pretty sure I'd be begging them to trade him regardless. I hate his game. The off-the-field crap is the dingleberry on top of the turd sundae.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Impossible to answer 100% accurately, but I'm pretty sure I'd be begging them to trade him regardless. I hate his game. The off-the-field crap is the dingleberry on top of the turd sundae.

So the antics would still annoy you?

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
So the antics would still annoy you?
Absolutely. I hate that crap. At least until you show something on an NFL field.

Confidence and cockiness? That's one thing. Being an entitled me-first toolbag before you've even set foot on the field? That's another entirely.

Part of the reason Jenkins annoys me. Stop fucking chirping until you're actually shutting them down.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Every year the runners get drafted to high hopes, and every year they suck. The best are the Wilson's of the world who look to throw, want to throw, but only run when out of options. These other guys are just job security for trainers. That's why you hire running backs, to run the ball.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Every year the runners get drafted to high hopes, and every year they suck. The best are the Wilson's of the world who look to throw, want to throw, but only run when out of options. These other guys are just job security for trainers. That's why you hire running backs, to run the ball.
Difference between Steve Young and Vince Young, IMO. Great pocket passers who can burn you with their running ability vs. big, fast, physical guys who can kind of throw the ball.

nighttrain

Legend
I disagree here because Manziel is very smart. Scored really well on the wonderlic just seems to crave attention in every way. IMO once the season starts, he will simmer down focus on fooball and be a very good and dangerous NFL QB barring injury. But again that's JMHO because I am a big believer in Thomas Paine and commone sense.

Kid has the smarts (on the field not off) and has a great arm can make all the throws and the ability to escape the pocket and keep the play alive. Seems to have the ability to rally his team where they will play hard for him and is in a city that is craving a "hero"...IMO Manziel in Cleveland is the "Perfect Storm."
agree with you coach, the kid is in the right place, and has a leader mentality. May be a jerk, but will be forgiven if he's a winner, ala Fran Tarkington, he was an arsehole to everybody

train

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Hypothetical:

IF WE HAD DRAFTED HIM IT WOULD BE FISHER I'D BE TRASHING

I doubt you can teach Manzeil how to act, he already knows, he can behave when he wants to, the trick is making him want to, best thing could have happened to him is waiting till the third round to be drafted and told,hey dude third round choices don't automatically make the team and we're putting all your money in roster bonus' and little to no GJack

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hypothetical:

Nah. In fact, it would make it worse. I'd be really mad we spent a first on a kid who claimed before the draft that he was trying to put that part of himself in the past and then immediately started partying and acting a fool after he was drafted.

I'd feel like he pulled one over on management.

Right now, I don't really care. I think he's being stupid/immature but he's not our problem.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Difference between Steve Young and Vince Young, IMO. Great pocket passers who can burn you with their running ability vs. big, fast, physical guys who can kind of throw the ball.

Remember how fast Steve Young was.......he had serious wheels even later in his career. Drove me effing nuts how he would motor away so often......

RamWoodie

Legend
There's one word that describes Manziel...that word is "CLOWN"...he's that to the NTH degree!

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
He actually did a couple of things wrong.

He embarrassed the Browns for one thing, and the fact that he can't wrap his thick head around that is a HUGE red flag.

The other thing he did wrong is he lied. He said he was going to stop that kind of crap, he flat out said that he was putting all of that behind hime in the interview he did with Gruden when Gruden confronted him about the off field stuff.

The Browns just handed him a 4 million dollar signing bonus and a few days later his dumb ass is in that video with money in his ear.

No thanks on Mr. Football.......his actions are selfish and reckless and I'm guessing that there are some guys who are looking forward to planting his narrow ass as soon as he breaks out of the pocket.

He may be selfish and reckless and a self loving idiot, but I have to admit I'm looking forward to watching him play. I think he'll be exciting, whether he gets hurt or not. The guy will be fun to watch on the field and because he's on the Browns we Ram Fans don't have to worry much if he turns out to be pretty good. :)

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...es-it-down-by-hanging-out-with-justin-bieber/

At a time when Browns owner Jimmy Haslam has been firing plenty of employees, there’s one guy who can defy him without consequence.

And he apparently is.

Chris Mortensen of ESPN recently reported thatHaslam wants Manziel to tone it down. Not that Mort needs us or anyone else to confirm his report, but it’s accurate; regardless of comments suggesting that the Browns have no issue with Manziel’s “work hard, play harder” motto, the Browns don’t like it.

Manziel presumably knows it. And after a couple of fairly quiet weekends, Manziel made a big splash on Monday night by hanging out with . . . Justin Bieber.

Yes, Bieber. The BFF of Keyshawn Johnson. The child-man-child who periodically seems to be in the process of imploding.

Via The Big Lead, Manziel partied last night in Hollywood with Bieber, Floyd Mayweather, and Tyrese. Bieber posted photos of the get-together on social media. Per TMZ, police were twice called to Bieber’s house due to noise (possibly by Keyshawn).

From the Browns’ perspective, it’s the latest example of Manziel keeping anything but a low profile as he enjoys his time away from work. And it’s evidence that heindeed won’t change, even if his employer asks him to. From the NFL’s perspective, the powers-that-be can’t be thrilled about Manziel’s open association with Mayweather, a notorious, high-stakes gambler.

The only possible good news for the Browns is that Manziel seems to have an “oh crap I probably shouldn’t be doing this” look on his face.

On one hand, Manziel has yet to get in trouble. On the other hand, he’s flying fairly close to the sun on wings of pastrami. It may be only a matter of time before Manziel lands on the wrong side of the line on which he’s currently popping and locking.