Snead insists moving up to draft Goff was right move and would do it again

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
I'm OK with this line of thought. Sure, I wish they would have kept all of their picks and just taken Dak Prescott, but that isn't realistic based on what we knew at draft time.

I would rather have Goff than any of the 2017 QBs. Again, one will probably turn out to be a decent starter, but good luck picking the right one.
You'd rather have a bad QB than Prescott, a rookie who was a pro-bowler his first year at the most difficult position in football? OK. And before you reply with "blah blah blah, that offensive line", how well did we do with Weeded and Cassel behind that same line?

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
You'd rather have a bad QB than Prescott, a rookie who was a pro-bowler his first year at the most difficult position in football? OK. And before you reply with "blah blah blah, that offensive line", how well did we do with Weeded and Cassel behind that same line?
I believe the point was that there was no way to know at the time last year that Dak Prescott was going to perform at such an incredibly high level. Assuming that Prescott could step in and start as a mid-round rookie is the kind of thing that gets GMs on mediocre or bad teams fired.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn

How well did Prescott do against the Giants?

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
I believe the point was that there was no way to know at the time last year that Dak Prescott was going to perform at such an incredibly high level. Assuming that Prescott could step in and start as a mid-round rookie is the kind of thing that gets GMs on mediocre or bad teams fired.
Oh, then disregard.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
We lost 3 games, one of them being a meaningless game where the starters were rested. We lost the other two by 1 point, then 3 points. How well did Goff do against.... Anybody?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I believe the point was that there was no way to know at the time last year that Dak Prescott was going to perform at such an incredibly high level.
He sure looked good in the Senior Bowl....

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I cant wait to have a realistic view of what Goff is all about. Last year was such an epic joke, and basing any opinion of him based on what we saw is just silly.
Of course they'd make the trade over, just would have brought him along correctly if they had the chance to do over

Just like basing any opinion on him because of last year's "epic joke", determining which way was best to bring him along, is silly. It's 100% opinion.

Having said that, IMHO, it was the right decision to trade up for him. Like West Coast described, his success and the decision to trade up really have nothing to do with each other. It was the right decision because of who we had on the roster at QB and who was available in last year's draft and this year's draft. Anybody who says they knew Prescott would be what he was last year is either a die hard MSU fan or untruthful.

I can't wait to see how he develops under McVay and an improved supporting cast. As far as draft picks are concerned, they are only as valuable as the head man making the decisions. You could give one guy 20 picks and he wouldn't be able to draft or develop the talent the better coach could with 3 picks. Like that old quote describing an excellent coach that went something like...."he could beat you with his team and then take your team and beat you again". I'm hoping McVay is that guy.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
He didn't play awful against them. And to be fair the first game was the first game of his career, and the Giants are a superb defense. #2 in points allowed, #2 in opposing QB rating, #2 in passing TD's allowed. 5 defensive All-Pro.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
We lost 3 games, one of them being a meaningless game where the starters were rested. We lost the other two by 1 point, then 3 points. How well did Goff do against.... Anybody?

My point was that when faced with a pass rush he didn't look so good. The OL had a lot to do with it. Prescott's work ethic did too, but given the circumstances the OL and RB had a lot more to do with it than Prescott.

I wouldn't trade Goff for Prescott (had we drafted Prescott instead.) He would have looked horrific with the Rams as well.

SAK11

Rookie
He didn't play awful against them. And to be fair the first game was the first game of his career, and the Giants are a superb defense. #2 in points allowed, #2 in opposing QB rating, #2 in passing TD's allowed. 5 defensive All-Pro.

The 2nd time around was in week 14 and he was terrible. But like you said, Giants had a really good defense.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In 2 games, he was 42/82 (51%) for 392 (196 ypg) 1TD and 2INT and a passer rating of 58
The 1st game, which was his first was actually his better game...
The Giants just had his number, plain and simple. But that only makes his numbers vs the rest of the league that much more impressive IMO

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just like basing any opinion on him because of last year's "epic joke", determining which way was best to bring him along, is silly. It's 100% opinion.
Not really. Its painfully obvious how the Rams mis-handled it.
The proof is in the outcome, the entire offense regressed, save Kenny Britt, and all the coaches got fired. Meanwhile other teams philosophies paid off. Rams front office deserves to be commended, they saw the error in the system and have made corrections to it

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
The 2nd time around was in week 14 and he was terrible. But like you said, Giants had a really good defense.

In 2 games, he was 42/82 (51%) for 392 (196 ypg) 1TD and 2INT and a passer rating of 58
The 1st game, which was his first was actually his better game...
The Giants just had his number, plain and simple. But that only makes his numbers vs the rest of the league that much more impressive IMO
Yeah those are obviously bad numbers. The Giants definitely made Dak look like a rookie, but I wouldn't say/think that Dak was "exposed" as a QB. He was very impressive this season, the playoff game against GB was incredible. If Prescott improves his game and Dallas gets serious on D they could be the team to beat in the NFC for years to come.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Hmmmmmm

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

I don't think everyone realizes....this guy has a long way to go...Two systems in 2 years...
The big difference between this year and lastvyear, is Goff will be coming in as the starting QB. He'll be getting all the starting reps.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah those are obviously bad numbers. The Giants definitely made Dak look like a rookie, but I wouldn't say/think that Dak was "exposed" as a QB. He was very impressive this season, the playoff game against GB was incredible. If Prescott improves his game and Dallas gets serious on D they could be the team to beat in the NFC for years to come.
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, Dak is the real deal. Giants just had his number but Dak owned the rest of the league.
So if you ask me there is a better chance Dak figures out how to fix his Giants problem more than the rest of the league figures out Dak

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
My point was that when faced with a pass rush he didn't look so good. The OL had a lot to do with it. Prescott's work ethic did too, but given the circumstances the OL and RB had a lot more to do with it than Prescott.

I wouldn't trade Goff for Prescott (had we drafted Prescott instead.) He would have looked horrific with the Rams as well.
His work ethic? You have NO CLUE what you're talking about.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Exactly.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
His work ethic? You have NO CLUE what you're talking about.
Uhmm Yes I do. I complimented his work ethic. Said it had something to do with it, but I believe his offensive line and supporting cast had more to do with his success than Prescott.

Learn to read.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2017/03/04/jerry-jones-dak-work-ethic-like-peyton-manning-predicts-dramatic-improvement-prescott

Again, he would have looked awful had he played for the Rams. The Rams OL was so bad, maybe Aaron Rodgers could have been decent, but I think even he would have been awful.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Andrew Donnal played LT and had not played that position since High School. Rams did nothing in the 2nd half of that game and it was the best game Goff played, every other game he was in was a disaster IMHO.

Yes it was a strange oddity of many different sorts somethings just can not be explained. If I can recall from my wore down one working brain cell you have been much more positive than most other members or best to say more knowledgeable than most including myself on AD from the moment of his selection in the 4th round. AD's rookie & then injured knee over the last half of his rookie season. AD had two starts his rookie season one @ LG & then RT when he injured his knee & just slowly faded away never seen again. AD rookie season did have a few small positives where AD demonstrated he could play RG/LG & RT post. Bottom line none of his rookie season play was ....good. AD had no base & was weak in both run & pass protection.

I recall very early last season where most members expected AD would be a very early cut. Would seem that Darrell Williams & Isaiah Battles would in the reserve OT's. Garrett Reynolds was expected to win the starting LG post due to his outstanding work with GRob on the left side. Saffold was expected to kick Cody Wichmann to the curb @ RG & Havenstein was on his way to an all pro RT spot in the pro bowl. Barnes was going to be cut for Kush & Rhaney @ center. Youngsters Brown & Wichmann were reserves. Andrew Donnal was packing & had a ticket out of LA. Things sure went differently.

Injuries to Havenstein, Battle, Williams & Reynolds cleared the way for AD to make the final 2016 roster. I was surprised that Boudreau flipped our #1 starting RT in OTA's, Training Camp & all of pre season Rodger Saffold back to starting LG when the season began & inserted a badly injured Rob Havenstein in as starting RT....but now in hindsight its clear NOW to me, the reason Boudreau did this was due to the vast improvement in OL Andrew Donnal. If RH went out AD was fully capable of being an effective RT & Saffold was not needed @ RT any longer. Why then place back up RT Garrett Reynolds on IR then less than a week later release RT Garrett Reynolds ? Clear now Boudreau had a OL'er named AD instead. Of all the Rams 11 OL'ers can you name the two who played in all 16 games in 2016? Tim Barnes & Andrew Donnal!:bow:

To go back wk 12 when AD took over the starting LT post for Saffold/GRob. Another thing that occurred while starting @ LT that's not really know is AD injured his hip...pretty bad. (Keep this in the back of your mind) What happen the following week... Saffold broke his hand & had surgery & was out. The injury forced the Rams to insert GRob reluctantly back into the starting LT post. RG Jamon Brown who also had a injured broken hand was filling in @ LG post for Saffold who was out. RT Havenstein was gimpy & gradually getting worse & limping badly. RG Cody Wichmann's high ankle sprain that was injured back in wk 5 was affecting his play in a bad way. Thus leaving AD as the only reserve OL'er & he also came out on the injury list. All that going into wk 13 game against the SB champions NE Pats.

The 2016 OL drama continued right through to the last game. By the end of wk 16's game starting RT Rob Havenstein was unable to lineup & done for the season with still one game left. Starting RG Cody Wichmann had been done since the end of the game of wk 13. Starting LG Saffold broke his hand in the 2nd quarter wk 12 & has surgery & was having issues to continue to replace GRob @ LT. GRob had been a healthy benched again in the past wk 16 was the only healthy OL still standing besides OT Pace Murphy & OG David Arkin thus interim HC was forced to insert his problematic LT back into the lineup. The broke handed Jamon Brown started @ RG for AD who was starting @ RT for the injured Havenstein. The drama continued late into the game when LG Saffold was concussed & AD was flipped from RT to LG for Saffold & rookie Pace Murphy finished the game @ RT.

It was good that Andrew Donnal's time finally came & he went into wk 13 as the main reserve for four OL positions. Early in the game Cody Wichmann damaged ankle finally gave way & the injured hip'd AD was now inserted into the starting RG post. Cody was never healthy the rest of the season. AD finished the last five games in the 2016 season as a starter. AD finished 4 games @ RG & wk 17 he started for Havenstein @ RT.The 6-6/320 pound AD has the size that Kromer desires in his OL'ers. AD is a very smart technician who knows what to do & is very consistent in doing it. His past main problems have come from a lack of overall strength & power & lack of pop

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/donnal-736715-left-tackle.html
http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/...offensive-tackle-nfl-draft-2015-st-louis-rams
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/5...g-andrew-donnal-scouting-report-st-louis-rams

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
He sure looked good in the Senior Bowl....
Sure, but you don't judge a QB prospect on one pre-draft all-star game... you judge him on his collegiate career, you judge him on how you think what made him successful in college will translate to the NFL, you judge him based on how similar players made the jump to the NFL, and you judge him based on his physical ability (Combine stats mostly).

He was the 135th pick in the draft, meaning every team passed over him multiple times due to concerns about whether he could learn how to play a pro-style offense with NFL reads and responsibilities.

Were scouts wrong about him? Seems that way after a heluva rookie year. But you look at his comps, his lack of polish coming into the draft, his questionable mechanics, and you see a guy who should be reasonably expected to be a several-year project, the ideal guy to back up someone like Tony Romo for the final two or three seasons of his career.

Indomitable will and outright absurd work ethic seems to have driven him far beyond what he should be, though.