Snead insists moving up to draft Goff was right move and would do it again

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Good Day A.J Hicks.....Did you happen to observe who was performing his butt off as Goff's blind side protector @ LT for most of that entire game? Watch out you will be in for a surprise...I give you two hints no not GRob & nope it was not Rodger Saffold poor guy as @OldSchool has pointed out so many time he never made it out of the first quarter before breaking bones in his hand.......:santa:
It's good to hear Snead still believes in him. But if Goff busts, then Snead has to go.
Then Snead needs to provide Goff a very good solid OL in front so Goff has the time to make his magic happen....Goff, if not fully molested & assaulted on each & every offensive play can do much of what is needed to do to win with what the Rams have now on their offensive roster @ WR/TE/RB.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
Biggest jump moving forward, in my eyes, is player development i.e. QB WR RB

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I still believe that Goff has all of the tools to be a top 5 QB in this league and i dont think we couldve done any better coaching wise than we did when we hired McVay, LaFleur, and Olson to bring him along. Lets see what they do on the personnel side when it comes to adding help on the OL, WR, and TE...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I rewatched the Rams New Orleans game yesterday, specifically wanting to watch Goff. I've read many say that was his best game.He did play good that game. There were a few errant throws but overall he had a good game. He moved well in the pocket, was decisive with his throws, and made some excellent throws.The thing I took most from the game. A game we lost in horrible fashion. Is his movement game in the pocket. He is really good in the pocket and he keeps his eyes down field. He delivered some excellent throws under pressure in that game.

Good Day A.J Hicks.....Did you happen to observe who was performing his butt off as Goff's blind side protector @ LT for most of that entire game?

Watch out you will be in for a surprise...I give you two hints not GRob & nope it was not Rodger Saffold poor guy as @OldSchool has pointed out so many time he never made it out of the first quarter before breaking bones in his hand......

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Rams gave Tennessee : Rams' first-round pick (2016), TWO second-round picks (2016), a third-round pick (2016), a first-round pick #5 overall (2017) and another third-round pick (2017) for Goff.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ams-trade-up-to-acquire-no-1-pick-from-titans

For me all that Snead has at this time is HOPE (as @den-the -coach said) for trading away all.... priceless draft wealth. Rams did get some third day draft fodder also receive a fourth-round pick (113) and sixth-round pick (177) in 2016 (Higbee & Hemmingway).

Snead also has some other very big stuff on his desk too as a result from the loss of these draft selections that most all members here choose to erase from their minds & cover up in the cat litter box ......its missing young starting talent available to step in & compete this & last season for that matter in many of our weak starting positions......But in the end I will be thank full that I can miss the entire first day of the draft this year & go mow the grass in the dark or clean out the cat litter box instead.

Washington traded more to get RG3. Washington has found a way to be competive and make the playoffs without prime picks.

My point? There is more than one way to build a team. The Skins not only survived the trade they survived it and picked the wrong guy.

If Goff pans out this trade is a steal for the Rams. At the end of the day draft picks are no guarantee either.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good Day A.J Hicks.....Did you happen to observe who was performing his butt off as Goff's blind side protector @ LT for most of that entire game?

Watch out you will be in for a surprise...I give you two hints not GRob & nope it was not Rodger Saffold poor guy as @OldSchool has pointed out so many time he never made it out of the first quarter before breaking bones in his hand......
That's amazing film analysis! This site however disputes your claim that he protected Goff's blindside the entire game.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

Seems according to them he only played 42% of the snaps. The following week against New England he missed 5 snaps. Clearly I exaggerate when I say he misses snaps every game. But you helped prove my point. The first game we rely on him to protect Goff's backside and he goes down and misses more than half the game. It's funny though how GRob was inactive for 2 whole games and with the Rams anemic offense that's about 110 snaps. Yet GRob had 20 fewer snaps than Saffold. Who only missed one game his being to injury of course.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Trading for Goff was the right move last year, starting him during the second half of the season was the mistake imo. While many wanted Goff playing on day one, he should have sat the entire season, not only adjusting to take snaps under center, but learning to read defenses. With what it cost to draft Goff, you'd at least think the Rams would have the foresight to get him a proper QB coach. It was near impossible for Goff to prepare early for NFL speed with an OL which couldn't pass protect or create enough space for Gurley to take some of the pressure off the passing game. As it was, under the circumstances, Goff did about as well as could be expected of him imo. Fisher was feeling the pressure and prayed Goff could somehow become his savior. No QB could rightly be judged behind our mess of an OL and receiver corps, and this includes Keenum. Fisher lost his job because he and his offensive coaches were clueless, and he wouldn't share or relinquish control to someone with the knowledge to turn it around. jmo.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I cant wait to have a realistic view of what Goff is all about. Last year was such an epic joke, and basing any opinion of him based on what we saw is just silly.
Of course they'd make the trade over, just would have brought him along correctly if they had the chance to do over

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Hmmmmmm

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

I don't think everyone realizes....this guy has a long way to go...Two systems in 2 years...

I don't think you realize how bad the offense was built by Fisher !! Simply Horrible !!!

Scheme , line play , & a true go to WR/TE to go to on 3rd downs.

I get Jared Goff didn't play at a excellent level. He did show a few positive signs though that make you think he could be that guy ??

Ram65

Legend
When were the Rams going to get a franchise QB or one that has the chance to become one?

They took the chance and we are a year closer to finding out. All the same things many saw in Goff are there. His pocket movement and strong arm. His work ethic to get better and lead by example. You don't know when the chance will come again. Hit or miss we needed someone to put are hopes on. I think Snead hits with Goff.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Good Day A.J Hicks.....Did you happen to observe who was performing his butt off as Goff's blind side protector @ LT for most of that entire game? Watch out you will be in for a surprise...I give you two hints no not GRob & nope it was not Rodger Saffold poor guy as @OldSchool has pointed out so many time he never made it out of the first quarter before breaking bones in his hand.......
Who was it?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That's amazing film analysis! This site however disputes your claim that he protected Goff's blindside the entire game.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts
Seems according to them he only played 42% of the snaps. The following week against New England he missed 5 snaps. Clearly I exaggerate when I say he misses snaps every game. But you helped prove my point. The first game we rely on him to protect Goff's backside and he goes down and misses more than half the game. It's funny though how GRob was inactive for 2 whole games and with the Rams anemic offense that's about 110 snaps. Yet GRob had 20 fewer snaps than Saffold. Who only missed one game his being to injury of course.

Rodger Saffold was not the subject of my post. I was not pointing out Rodger Saffold ... OldSchool. I mentioned you in order to give you props as to your good points on Rodger Saffold in our many previous posts. I have to admit since I was recalling it from memories from last season I did not think that Saffold lasted as long as the site you politely gave me indicated. I thought he went out after the first quarter.

The subject of my post was an another Ram OL'er who I decided not name to give my boring post a little mystery..... the OL who Boudreau replaced Saffold with after he went down. The OL'er who I claimed played the majority of snaps @ LT that afternoon in the Saints game was #64 Andrew Donnal.

I will never have anything negative to post on GRob's ability to remain healthy & in the field of play I know of no other Ram OL'er who is as tough as GRob in this area of skill. In the same breath I could never say anything positive on Saffold in this same area.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I don't think you realize how bad the offense was built by Fisher !!
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/ram/2016.htm

from weeks 5 to 9, we probably averaged 350+ yards total...Not great but not terrible either.
I watched most games twice. Except for those damn 9ers games...Pathetic display of offensive football.
Oh yeah, I realize what the hell was going on...but just like we can't blame the entire ineptitude on the players...can't blame it all on the coaches either. JMO

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Rams GM insists moving up to draft Jared Goff was right move and would do it again

Pete Prisco

INDIANAPOLIS -- Almost a year after trading a bevy of picks to the Tennessee Titans to draft quarterback Jared Goff with the first pick in last April’s NFL Draft, Los Angeles Rams general manager Les Snead said here this week that he would make the same move all over again.

Even though Goff started just seven games and didn’t do much to make many believers think he is a star in waiting, Snead is emphatic that the team made the right decision and would still do it again. We would expect him to say that, but Snead laid out some of the reasons why.

“Yes, no doubt,” Snead said during a break here at the NFL Scouting Combine. “Last year we were sitting at No 15 (in the first round) and we knew we had to find a long-term starter. We then identified Jared and we liked Carson (Wentz) too. I always say this about the calculus equation. Needing one is part of the equation. Identifying one is another part. But the toughest part is how do you acquire that guy. We found a way and decided to do it. That’s why we made the move.”

Snead said the team also looked at this year’s draft potential and realized they had to make a move last season, rather than wait. That’s why they gave up a No. 15 last year, this year’s first (No. 5 overall) and a handful of other picks to move up to the top spot.

As it turns out, this year’s quarterback class isn’t a strong one, so it made sense. Would you rather have Goff or Clemson’s DeShaun Watson or North Carolina’s Mitch Trubisky?

I’d rather have Goff, which is why the Rams making the move was the right one.

Yet there are those around the league who wonder if Goff can be the guy for the long haul. Goff lost all seven of his starts and completed 54.7-percent of his passes with five touchdowns and seven interceptions. That’s bad accuracy, no matter if he’s a rookie or not.

It didn’t help that the Rams’ offensive line was a disaster, running back Todd Gurley struggled and the outside receivers were little more than average. The Rams finished 3-13 and coach Jeff Fisher was fired during the season.

“There was adversity, road blocks, hindering type issues,” Snead said. “But it was the first step for him to becoming a franchise quarterback. He didn’t blink. He didn’t mope. He didn’t shake his confidence. We saw a lot of what we saw at Cal in college, but what we didn’t know was when things went bad how would he handle it. And none of that shook him.”

Now Goff has a new coach and a new system. Former Washington Redskins offensive coordinator Sean McVay takes over as coach, and he is considered one of the bright offensive minds in the league. That should help Goff, but the team needs to get more pieces around him.

“Once we get Jared in the building, it’s going to be about teaching our system,” McVay said. “Seeing how he processes things, and he’s able to handle the above-the-neck information and then be able to translate it to grass once we get on the field. You see the traits. You see the characteristics. I am really excited to how he retains information, how it translates to the grass. But very excited about Jared and some of the things we’ve seen from him on tape.”

Goff has spent time this offseason working with Tom House, who has worked with a lot of NFL passers on motion and mechanics. House works with Tom Brady, so it has to help Goff.

The next step will be to spend time with McVay, but league rules prevent that from happening until later this month. The big jump for Goff this season will be getting through his progressions better. As a rookie, quarterbacks tend to get to the first or the second, but not the third or the fourth. You can’t win consistently in the league without getting to the third and fourth progression.

“He definitely got to two, but not three or four,” Snead said. “Those things are evolving. But his big thing will be calling protections at the line of scrimmage. Sean is a big believer in calling protections at the line of scrimmage. That’s a big pat of what he needs to do. He didn’t do that in college. He did very little of that last year. That’s something he has to work on.”

Even so, there is no remorse for Snead.

“No, none,” he said. “We looked at a lot of factors and made the move. We are happy we did.”

[www.cbssports.com]

It was absolutely the right move. If you don't have a good QB, then you have to keep trying to get one. This year's group doesn't look as good as Goff.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
It didn't make any sense with Fisher as HC and that offensive staff.

It was like buying expensive shoes for a cow...

But with McVay, I think it will turn out to be an inspired pick.

At the time, though, it just didn't add up. And if Fisher were somehow still here, Goff still wouldn't make any sense. Wentz or Prescott were both better options under Fisher. And before anyone says anything, yeah, it still would have been bad...cuz that offense was historically bad.

I'm really excited to see what Goff can do under McVay. That said, I think Mannion picks it all up much quicker.

I don't think it gets to the point where they pick Mannion over Goff, but I think Mannion just may light it up in preseason.... enough to get folks talking. Hopefully Goff comes on and settles any doubts prior to the season.

So much is depending on the WR/OL FA acquisitions. No rookie WR or OL is gonna fix this OL. They gotta bring in some vets to get those units up to snuff.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This year's group doesn't look as good as Goff.

Hope you're right I understand that DeShone Kizer won't go as high, however, he's a big kid that can run with a howitzer for an arm and he certainly passes the eye test. Watched most of his games in college and I do believe he has all the tools necessary to be a good Quarterback because nobody can post anyone will be elite that is all on the individual.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Andrew Donnal played LT and had not played that position since High School. Rams did nothing in the 2nd half of that game and it was the best game Goff played, every other game he was in was a disaster IMHO.