Snead insists moving up to draft Goff was right move and would do it again

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams GM insists moving up to draft Jared Goff was right move and would do it again

Pete Prisco

INDIANAPOLIS -- Almost a year after trading a bevy of picks to the Tennessee Titans to draft quarterback Jared Goff with the first pick in last April’s NFL Draft, Los Angeles Rams general manager Les Snead said here this week that he would make the same move all over again.

Even though Goff started just seven games and didn’t do much to make many believers think he is a star in waiting, Snead is emphatic that the team made the right decision and would still do it again. We would expect him to say that, but Snead laid out some of the reasons why.

“Yes, no doubt,” Snead said during a break here at the NFL Scouting Combine. “Last year we were sitting at No 15 (in the first round) and we knew we had to find a long-term starter. We then identified Jared and we liked Carson (Wentz) too. I always say this about the calculus equation. Needing one is part of the equation. Identifying one is another part. But the toughest part is how do you acquire that guy. We found a way and decided to do it. That’s why we made the move.”

Snead said the team also looked at this year’s draft potential and realized they had to make a move last season, rather than wait. That’s why they gave up a No. 15 last year, this year’s first (No. 5 overall) and a handful of other picks to move up to the top spot.

As it turns out, this year’s quarterback class isn’t a strong one, so it made sense. Would you rather have Goff or Clemson’s DeShaun Watson or North Carolina’s Mitch Trubisky?

I’d rather have Goff, which is why the Rams making the move was the right one.

Yet there are those around the league who wonder if Goff can be the guy for the long haul. Goff lost all seven of his starts and completed 54.7-percent of his passes with five touchdowns and seven interceptions. That’s bad accuracy, no matter if he’s a rookie or not.

It didn’t help that the Rams’ offensive line was a disaster, running back Todd Gurley struggled and the outside receivers were little more than average. The Rams finished 3-13 and coach Jeff Fisher was fired during the season.

“There was adversity, road blocks, hindering type issues,” Snead said. “But it was the first step for him to becoming a franchise quarterback. He didn’t blink. He didn’t mope. He didn’t shake his confidence. We saw a lot of what we saw at Cal in college, but what we didn’t know was when things went bad how would he handle it. And none of that shook him.”

Now Goff has a new coach and a new system. Former Washington Redskins offensive coordinator Sean McVay takes over as coach, and he is considered one of the bright offensive minds in the league. That should help Goff, but the team needs to get more pieces around him.

“Once we get Jared in the building, it’s going to be about teaching our system,” McVay said. “Seeing how he processes things, and he’s able to handle the above-the-neck information and then be able to translate it to grass once we get on the field. You see the traits. You see the characteristics. I am really excited to how he retains information, how it translates to the grass. But very excited about Jared and some of the things we’ve seen from him on tape.”

Goff has spent time this offseason working with Tom House, who has worked with a lot of NFL passers on motion and mechanics. House works with Tom Brady, so it has to help Goff.

The next step will be to spend time with McVay, but league rules prevent that from happening until later this month. The big jump for Goff this season will be getting through his progressions better. As a rookie, quarterbacks tend to get to the first or the second, but not the third or the fourth. You can’t win consistently in the league without getting to the third and fourth progression.

“He definitely got to two, but not three or four,” Snead said. “Those things are evolving. But his big thing will be calling protections at the line of scrimmage. Sean is a big believer in calling protections at the line of scrimmage. That’s a big pat of what he needs to do. He didn’t do that in college. He did very little of that last year. That’s something he has to work on.”

Even so, there is no remorse for Snead.

“No, none,” he said. “We looked at a lot of factors and made the move. We are happy we did.”

[www.cbssports.com]

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I'm OK with this line of thought. Sure, I wish they would have kept all of their picks and just taken Dak Prescott, but that isn't realistic based on what we knew at draft time.

I would rather have Goff than any of the 2017 QBs. Again, one will probably turn out to be a decent starter, but good luck picking the right one.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would rather have Goff than any of the 2017 QBs. Again, one will probably turn out to be a decent starter, but good luck picking the right one.

I'm anxious to see what the Goff has given a better set of circumstances, however, it will be interesting to see if this regime drafts a QB this year, maybe Chip Kelly in the 7th?

tempests

Hall of Fame
I would hope he's still standing behind that move. It would show a shocking lack of faith in their no 1 overall pick if he didn't.

Jayson

UDFA
Name
Jayson
Here's the way I look at it. We moved 15 spots to get goff...15...that's kinda unheard of. Gave up last year's #2, which ya we gave up but it was the eagles pick to begin with. Gave up #1 this year but that's a must moving 15 spots, but got a #3 and #4 back for this year.

I'm sick of hearing from the national media about how we gave up soooo many picks. Snead knew we would get picks back this year so in my opinion, IF goff pans out, we gave up a #1 pick and that's it. Big steal.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Yet there are those around the league who wonder if Goff can be the guy for the long haul. Goff lost all seven of his starts and completed 54.7-percent of his passes with five touchdowns and seven interceptions. That’s bad accuracy, no matter if he’s a rookie or not.
Hmmmmmm

The big jump for Goff this season will be getting through his progressions better. As a rookie, quarterbacks tend to get to the first or the second, but not the third or the fourth. You can’t win consistently in the league without getting to the third and fourth progression.

“He definitely got to two, but not three or four,” Snead said. “Those things are evolving. But his big thing will be calling protections at the line of scrimmage. Sean is a big believer in calling protections at the line of scrimmage. That’s a big pat of what he needs to do. He didn’t do that in college. He did very little of that last year. That’s something he has to work on.”
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

I don't think everyone realizes....this guy has a long way to go...Two systems in 2 years...

jap

Legend
The Man with the Golden Arm will make a believer out of you in Year Two.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Man with the Golden Arm will make a believer out of you in Year Two.

Well, let's hope this California Golden Boy actually has a Midas Touch!

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Peyton Manning in 16 full games threw 26 TDs and 28 ints with 56.7 comp percent.

Goff in 7 had 5 TDs and 7 ints and 54. 6 comp percent.

Give the kid a break ffs no o line meh recievers shitty oc shitty hc and very little run support. So tired of the media and some of these fans who wanna jump out and tell me how terrible he is and how he's already a bust. Let the kid get a team around him and allow this rookie to transition to the league before ya judge damn. Y'all would think we signed the next ryan leaf.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Here's the way I look at it. We moved 15 spots to get goff...15...that's kinda unheard of. Gave up last year's #2, which ya we gave up but it was the eagles pick to begin with. Gave up #1 this year but that's a must moving 15 spots, but got a #3 and #4 back for this year.

I'm sick of hearing from the national media about how we gave up soooo many picks. Snead knew we would get picks back this year so in my opinion, IF goff pans out, we gave up a #1 pick and that's it. Big steal.

Rams gave Tennessee : Rams' first-round pick (2016), TWO second-round picks (2016), a third-round pick (2016), a first-round pick #5 overall (2017) and another third-round pick (2017) for Goff.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ams-trade-up-to-acquire-no-1-pick-from-titans

For me all that Snead has at this time is HOPE (as @den-the -coach said) for trading away all.... priceless draft wealth. Rams did get some third day draft fodder also receive a fourth-round pick (113) and sixth-round pick (177) in 2016 (Higbee & Hemmingway).

Snead also has some other very big stuff on his desk too as a result from the loss of these draft selections that most all members here choose to erase from their minds & cover up in the cat litter box ......its missing young starting talent available to step in & compete this & last season for that matter in many of our weak starting positions......But in the end I will be thank full that I can miss the entire first day of the draft this year & go mow the grass in the dark or clean out the cat litter box instead.

Last edited:

jap

Legend
......But I will be thank full that I can miss the entire first day of the draft this year & go mow the grass in the dark or clean out the cat litter box.

Unless, of course, the Horns unload a prize talent (e.g., Mark Barron) for a round 1 selection. :sneaky: Note: I am not picking on Mark per se, just speculating that there is a chance Wade opts to go in another direction in an effort to garner a high pick for his team.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Here is how I looked the trade then and now. The rams gave up 4 draft picks, along with 2 acquired picks for Goff. One of the 2nd rounders last season was part of the Bradford trade, and the 3rd rounder this season was the compensation pick for losing Jenkins. Gaines was considered a good replacement for Jenkins at that time, so they knew that pick was coming. Rams also received a 4th rounder in last years draft, that became Cooper, and a 6th rounder that became Hemmingway. That first rounder this season becoming the 5th pick in the draft does hurt. Wonder if folks would feel the same about the trade if that pick was 15 or 25. Goff becoming a top 10 QB, Cooper and Hemmingway becoming solid contributors to me, makes the trade well worth it.

SAK11

Rookie
Imagine he said he wouldn't make that move again, that would look terrible.

It's all dependent on Goff's development. If he's this teams franchise QB, the trade was well worth it.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Peyton Manning in 16 full games threw 26 TDs and 28 ints with 56.7 comp percent.

Goff in 7 had 5 TDs and 7 ints and 54. 6 comp percent.

Give the kid a break ffs no o line meh recievers crappy oc crappy hc and very little run support. So tired of the media and some of these fans who wanna jump out and tell me how terrible he is and how he's already a bust. Let the kid get a team around him and allow this rookie to transition to the league before ya judge damn. Y'all would think we signed the next ryan leaf.
The Kid has the physical and mental ability to be a very good QB
for a long time.He was a rookie playing in a situation that no QB would be
able to be consistently productive.

He now has some of the best QB developing minds in football to work with him.
Our coaching and personnel staffs are going to focus on surrounding Goff with
the pieces that allow him to succeed.Goff has the desire and the ability to continually
improve.

Let the doubters doubt.We are gonna have a hell of a QB a lot sooner than later.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Well, Snead may have made the right move even if Goff doesn't turn out to be a good QB. They are not mutually exclusive.

The only time in the NFL (and life) that you're guaranteed the right answer is in retrospect. Sometimes in the NFL, there's no right answer to a solution, just the best of a bad answer.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I rewatched the Rams New Orleans game yesterday, specifically wanting to watch Goff. I've read many say that was his best game.

He did play good that game. There were a few errant throws but overall he had a good game. He moved well in the pocket, was decisive with his throws, and made some excellent throws.

The thing I took most from the game. A game we lost in horrible fashion. Is his movement game in the pocket. He is really good in the pocket and he keeps his eyes down field. He delivered some excellent throws under pressure in that game.

I really think we'll see a different QB this season.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Is his movement game in the pocket. He is really good in the pocket
That is one of the reasons I liked Goff so much coming out.
What we saw last year with the pocket movement will become
even better as he gets comfortable.He made some hellacious plays
at Cal.buying time in the pocket.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I rewatched the Rams New Orleans game yesterday, specifically wanting to watch Goff. I've read many say that was his best game.

He did play good that game. There were a few errant throws but overall he had a good game. He moved well in the pocket, was decisive with his throws, and made some excellent throws.

The thing I took most from the game. A game we lost in horrible fashion. Is his movement game in the pocket. He is really good in the pocket and he keeps his eyes down field. He delivered some excellent throws under pressure in that game.

I really think we'll see a different QB this season.

Good Day A.J Hicks.....Did you happen to observe who was performing his butt off as Goff's blind side protector @ LT for most of that entire game? Watch out you will be in for a surprise...I give you two hints no not GRob & nope it was not Rodger Saffold poor guy as @OldSchool has pointed out so many time he never made it out of the first quarter before breaking bones in his hand.......:santa: