Six targets the Rams could be eyeing in wake of the latest cap casualties

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Which one do you want the most?

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm fine with the culture change, but Gordon isn't a locker room cancer, on the contrary. He liked pot and had a DUI, he didn't mug an old lady. Many players & fans have done the same, some worse with the addition of PED's. Gordon has reportedly worked very hard to stay in football shape and deserves another shot at it imo. This whole idea of pot being ruled out for athletes while team owners and fans are drinking themselves silly every week is a joke. If a player fails his performance on the field, cut him, but making a broad statement and ruling over pot use is an invasion of his privacy. Several former players have come out stating pot was the better recovery method over more powerful but more dangerous drugs which are often prescribed. A player may have to gamble with the feds over pot in certain states, but he shouldn't have to gamble his career because of conservatives in the Commissioners office. JMO.
That's what I'm saying. I mean on facebook with the Downtown Rams community we have people saying draft Dede Westbrook and Joe Mixon but god forbid we ever sign Josh Gordon. What is wrong with that picture?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
* Is Gordon good? - yes
* Has he played in only 35 games, 12 less than he's been suspended for (47) - yes
* Would he make a nice low risk addition to veteran team with solid WR corps - sure

But I don't see it happening with the Rams, especially when the FO and Ownership have been beating the "changing the culture" drum all off season.

Changing the culture is this regimes primary focus this season. i don't think a guy like Gordon fits into their mission objective (at least not yet)

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...coach-rams-players-hope-to-change-the-culture

See, I don't agree. If anything, he's likely to be the hungriest because he can't mess up. Wherever he goes, if he gets a shot which I expect to happen, he's NOT going to have the leeway to EVER AGAIN in the NFL take even a second for granted.

I think that's why he made sure that he could handle the stresses of playing by getting intensive in patient treatment rather than play in 2016 when he was looking spectacular. It wasn't ever about his skills, but setting up to succeed.

And I'll be frank and a bit personal, I come from a family of addicts, so I tend to NOT want to give guys a chance who've had multiple failures.

What's different is the lengths to which he's gone to ensure he doesn't screw up again.

No guarantees that he's even reinstated. If he is, he will draw interest.

And when he blows up and has an outstanding season, I don't want it to be with the damn Pats!!!

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN

My idea is he is that we all knew he was going to the Rams. The league knew it and he knew it. Wade needed to bring in a guy who know's his defense and this was a no-brainer. Mark my words he's the next AJ Bouye. You can have Deon Sanders but if you aren't playing him and you are playing over a less productive player you won't know. It's a league where guys are often times buried on the depth chart and mainly due to themselves not wanting to leave the comfortable situation. Webster isn't that guy he knows he loves Denver but he loves Wade and playing time much more.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN

See? These moves are what you call "gifts" "steals" "gems" the Bills are stupid and you can see that by how they didn't even give this guy more than 2 million dollar tender. He is gone unless the Bills smarten up and sign him.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I forgot Kromer brought Groy into the league with Chicago. Dude just follows Kromer around. I gotta believe that if the Rams have any interest at all, they will sign him to an offer sheet.
Sounds like a match made in heaven. The casual Rams fans will be like WHO IS THAT?!? FIRE MCVAY AND SNEAD AND EVERYONE. Quite honestly I am looking at him as next year's starter and now who needs Ethan Pocic. You can get Godwin in the 2nd, Awuzie or maybe a guy like Raekwon McMillan in the third. 2 fourth rounders so I would be targeting a safety to compete for the starting job with Cody Davis and Brian Randolph and an edge rusher like Jojo Mathis.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Thank you sir. I can assure you since I used to write for Rams Wire and left do to my own creative vision that I never saw any article stating we were interested in Groy before I put out my piece.

I don't question you! Love your stuff and you have your finger on the pulse. Hope you didn't think I thought your were copying someone else's work, it was giving you credit for identifying good targets s

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
My idea is he is that we all knew he was going to the Rams. The league knew it and he knew it. Wade needed to bring in a guy who know's his defense and this was a no-brainer. Mark my words he's the next AJ Bouye. You can have Deon Sanders but if you aren't playing him and you are playing over a less productive player you won't know. It's a league where guys are often times buried on the depth chart and mainly due to themselves not wanting to leave the comfortable situation. Webster isn't that guy he knows he loves Denver but he loves Wade and playing time much more.

I keep checking the edits on Wiki for Kayvon Webster and it keeps getting changed back.

So, I dunno if this is wishful thinking of a fan or what, but that change to him being a Ram keeps getting corrected back.

May be true, but we'll see

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I keep checking the edits on Wiki for Kayvon Webster and it keeps getting changed back.

So, I dunno if this is wishful thinking of a fan or what, but that change to him being a Ram keeps getting corrected back.

We used to fuck around on Wikipedia in college to be funny. Turns out your IP can get blocked if you fuck around too much on there. If it is one guy putting up incorrect info, soon enough he'll be stopped.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I see I'm definitely in the minority on Josh Gordon.

I don't even think this has anything to do with the ganja use more so than it's an indictment on Josh Gordon's personal decision making. Look other players smoke weed but aren't caught up in the same situation Flash finds himself in.

I'm only suggesting Josh Gordon has way more Titus flowing through him than he does Chris Carter.

Guys like Cooper, Thomas, and Spruce, one of these guys may go on to be All Pro. I'd like for us to give them a chance and draft a young stud to be that next great Ram WR

But if Josh Gordon is in horns, i'll be his biggest fan

We shall see!!!

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Remember, he came into the league at 20 and at 21, was the league yardage leader.

I think he was just slammed by immaturity.

That he's working so diligently means he seems to have gotten it that football is a business.

We'll see.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I see I'm definitely in the minority on Josh Gordon.

I don't even think this has anything to do with the ganja use more so than it's an indictment on Josh Gordon's personal decision making. Look other players smoke weed but aren't caught up in the same situation Flash finds himself in.

I'm only suggesting Josh Gordon has way more Titus flowing through him than he does Chris Carter.

Guys like Cooper, Thomas, and Spruce, one of these guys may go on to be All Pro. I'd like for us to give them a chance and draft a young stud to be that next great Ram WR

But if Josh Gordon is in horns, i'll be his biggest fan

We shall see!!!

Sheesh, ... please don't make this even worse. There is no comparing Titus Young to Gordon.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...lions-receiver-sentenced-five-years-probation

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I don't question you! Love your stuff and you have your finger on the pulse. Hope you didn't think I thought your were copying someone else's work, it was giving you credit for identifying good targets s
No not at all. It was assumed by someone on facebook thats why I even mentioned it haha. Thank you soo much it's truly humbling. I love this community!

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN

I think he's 100% signing a contract with the Rams by Monday at the latest.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Lol
I remember when Wiki had changed Jason Garrett to Head Coach of the Rams

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Sheesh, ... please don't make this even worse. There is no comparing Titus Young to Gordon.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...lions-receiver-sentenced-five-years-probation

Mea culpa, I was the one who brought up Titus Young.

The point in doing that was the Rams brought a talented, but troubled WR in. In Titus Young's case, he not only wasn't over his troubles and was basically out of his mind with them. The Rams took a hard pass.

With Gordon, they should still get him in the building. IF he's as over his issues as I believe he is, then the Rams would be signing a dominant 6'3" 225# clear #1 receiver who's already had a dominant season with subpar QBing (not saying Goff would be subpar, but that like Isaac Bruce before him, he put up an amazing season being the ONLY real target and not great throwing. Isaac Bruce had Chris Chandler and had one of the best seasons of any WR, ever).

I just wanted to make it clear to everyone that I didn't expect the Rams to simply sign Gordon the minute he is cleared, but instead, to get him in the building and see if he and the Rams are a fit.

I KNOW he'd light up the league in this offense. Of that I have no doubt or question. But is he ready and capable of being a star in LA and being an asset in the locker room? I believe so, but it's not my job on the line and I've never met him personally to get that sense you get when you meet someone.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Personally I would love to see Connor Barwin in Horns after we grab our center. I totally feel he could play in this defense. I think the Eagles will match whatever offer he gets so I refuse to get my hopes up. They have more room to overpay than we do. They even want him to go see his worth in the open market.I find him very special and another team leader we could use and he makes so many big plays for loss. Not the dumb stuff we have had to get used to around here. Looks like CB and Center will be filled very early next week. Adding Barwin and its a major coup. We probably end up keeping Tru as trading him may be held out there till the draft. A long wait and see. After our rookie WR is added the defense will start banging the table for some depth. Looks like this is a learn the scheme year to me. Lets only grab the one super senior player please. He practices only once a week , so I expect a well trained backup and an extra coach on the field to help Kromer get Grob finally fixed. We will be competitive and finally start scoring points once again.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Both are an incredible waste of god given ability, and had multiple chances to start over
I cant think of a player in any sport that had so many suspension and then turned his life around.

The problem was that he basically had the same problem and had that younger outlook that didn't seem to get "I fought the law and the law won".

Did he make some excellent points in his Player's Tribune piece? Yes.

Did he still not get that it wasn't enough to make good points because there are unfair rules we all have to abide by? No.

Had he come fully to terms with how destructive his behaviors were to himself and his team, especially his drinking? No.

Does he get that now? He seems to. If that answer is a 'yes', then I'd sign him in a heartbeat. If the answer is ANYTHING LESS THAN AN UNQUALIFIED 'YES', then I'd pass and agree that his talent was even greater waste than Titus Young in that Gordon has the physical and football attributes if he turns it all around now and has good QBing, to put of HoF numbers. Not just 'good' numbers, but HoF numbers.

He's simply THAT dominant. He's potentially as good as Julio Jones. Not kidding.

Which is why I say that if he's got his head on straight, you make sure you get him.

And let's be clear, all this is conditional on BOTH, Gordon being reinstated AND Gordon being squared away.

My take has been that he IS squared away and that his reinstatement is imminent.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
The problem was that he basically had the same problem and had that younger outlook that didn't seem to get "I fought the law and the law won".

Did he make some excellent points in his Player's Tribune piece? Yes.

Did he still not get that it wasn't enough to make good points because there are unfair rules we all have to abide by? No.

Had he come fully to terms with how destructive his behaviors were to himself and his team, especially his drinking? No.

Does he get that now? He seems to. If that answer is a 'yes', then I'd sign him in a heartbeat. If the answer is ANYTHING LESS THAN AN UNQUALIFIED 'YES', then I'd pass and agree that his talent was even greater waste than Titus Young in that Gordon has the physical and football attributes if he turns it all around now and has good QBing, to put of HoF numbers. Not just 'good' numbers, but HoF numbers.

He's simply THAT dominant. He's potentially as good as Julio Jones. Not kidding.

Which is why I say that if he's got his head on straight, you make sure you get him.

And let's be clear, all this is conditional on BOTH, Gordon being reinstated AND Gordon being squared away.

My take has been that he IS squared away and that his reinstatement is imminent.

IT *IS* imminent...

They were set to reinstate him (with a 4 game ban) last year... but he went to rehab instead. THAT decision alone makes him a much better candidate for reinstatement than before.

His last failed test, was due to having a couple beers after the season with his Football Team. He wanted to fit in at his teams social gathering. It wasn't like he went to his buddies house and smoked a pound of weed.

Gordon has been trying to turn the negative stigma around his name for a while... and it's been a long time since he's had real issues, rather than infractions.