Should Rams Start Keenum or Davis Again?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I'm pretty much done seeing Hill. Hill's weaknesses are being magnified with each start and I don't think that's going to get better the last few games. At his current age/shape, he's not even as "good" as he used to be. His accuracy is a real issue IMO.

Granted, Davis is a tough sell but at this point I'd give him another chance and let him play out the rest of the year. To me, there is some chance that he can work through some of his issues. I think mechanics and experience will improve what he's able to do. Hill is what he is and he's declining IMO.

I'm not thrilled with either option really but a sliver of an upside with Davis is better than watching Hill Willie Mays it, stumbling around third to the end of his career.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Hill wasn't his best Thursday night, but that happens to all QB's. Besides, the whole O wasn't at its best.

Hill is 3-2 as a starter.

He's our best option.

Well yeah and no, both QB's Davis and Hill had the chance to win a game late , Davis took us 71 yards out of the shadow of the goal post for a FG to win the Tampa game in his first ever start, Hill had the chance to win the San Diego game and choked had the ball for a last drive Thurs. and got nuthin' . We all know half Davis' pick 6' s were on desperation throws when our defense had given up leads to AZ and San Fran

Evaluating a QB without putting his performance within the context of the game is something I refuse to do. Davis didn't get the defensive performances Hill has ,when your team is limiting the other team to league lows in rushing it helps the Qb when your team is giving up 144 yards rushing to the other team it puts him under far greater duress.
Again 3-2 when the other team has been shut out or only scored 7 which we did not eclipse Thurs. at home ,that's a little worse than not at his best.

Which one of these guys is better can't be determined by the W-L record , Hill has two completely inexplicable ints .one cost us a game SanD and his first cost us a score Minn.

We should play whoever we plan to bring back or whoever we are undecided upon ,I want to win and I really want to see what Davis could do with the kind of defensive support Hill has gotten.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
What does a rocket arm have to do with anything? There have been lots of amazing QB's with noodle arms. Peyton Manning looks pretty good to me even though he throws duck farts. Arm strength is so overrated, in regards to QB attributes. It's MUCH more important to be accurate and understand concepts, reads, etc.

A great arm allows you to make ALL throws it's just that simple ,it isn't everything but to discount it's value is a mistake

V3

Hall of Fame
A great arm allows you to make ALL throws it's just that simple ,it isn't everything but to discount it's value is a mistake
Then explain Manning, Tarkington, Garcia, Montana, Hasselbeck, et al. It's overrated. It's nice to have but you don't have to have it. Football intelligence and accuracy will always be THE most important attributes, IMO. Getting back to the post I was originally responding to, neither Hill's nor Davis' failures are due to their arm strength.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Then explain Manning, Tarkington, Garcia, Montana, Hasselbeck, et al. It's overrated. It's nice to have but you don't have to have it. Football intelligence and accuracy will always be THE most important attributes, IMO. Getting back to the post I was originally responding to, neither Hill's nor Davis' failures are due to their arm strength.
I already said it isn't everything , but it sure as hell helped Marino, Elway,Flacco,Fauts ,Favre et al. If it wasn't important the scouts, you know the guys who get paid to evaluate QBs, wouldn't make such a big deal about it.

Jamie Martin if you watched him almost never made the wrong throw , but his arm wasn't strong enough or I'd swear he'd have been as good as Warner. beyond a threshold I agree a cannon isn't necessary ,but IF you try to make a throw and you don't have the arm to do it yer screwed and IF your arm strength limits the plays therefore that CAN be called it becomes important .I don't rank it above accuracy nor knowledge but as a factor it can make up for deficiencies in other areas JUST like those attributes you rate higher can make up for a weak arm, what matters is getting the cat furless.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Tough crowd, last week people were saying Hill should start next year.

Who said that? I recall people wanting him resigned in case Bradford or a draft pick needed time, but I don't remember anyone saying he needed to be the guy next year.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
a CANNON IS NECESSARY...OOPS caps lock...it really helps...Peyton could really throw when he was younger....he is so good he can get by with a noodle..
topic at hand, time to un-wrap Keenum, see if he can play a lil bit.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Yeah, now that we are for sure out of the wild card race, it wouldn't hurt to see what Case Keenum looks like with the number ones. Why bring him to the team if we never want to have a look at him?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
No. Fisher will look like he's flailing. Especially since the only knocks on Hill so far are one bad game (Cardinals) and one bad finish (San Diego).

If Davis went back in under any circumstance except Hill being hurt, he'd be constantly looking over his shoulder and since confidence seemed to be the problem that got him benched in the first place... yeah... no.

And I honestly figure if Keenum had ANYTHING, he wouldn't be on the practice squad. For us, he's a largely unknown quantity, but they see him in practice every week.

Hill wasn't his best Thursday night, but that happens to all QB's. Besides, the whole O wasn't at its best.

Hill is 3-2 as a starter.

He's our best option.

Better record than Bradford that is, I think we've found our future QB.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
No Hill still gives us the best chance to win and i at least want 8-8. Next year after the O-line and Qb problems are fixed we kick ass.I'm tired of losing games we could win, damm September can't get here fast enough for me.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
We're still trying to the last two games and Hill gives us the best chance to do that. I can't believe its even being discussed.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Well yeah and no, both QB's Davis and Hill had the chance to win a game late , Davis took us 71 yards out of the shadow of the goal post for a FG to win the Tampa game in his first ever start, Hill had the chance to win the San Diego game and choked had the ball for a last drive Thurs. and got nuthin' . We all know half Davis' pick 6' s were on desperation throws when our defense had given up leads to AZ and San Fran

Evaluating a QB without putting his performance within the context of the game is something I refuse to do. Davis didn't get the defensive performances Hill has ,when your team is limiting the other team to league lows in rushing it helps the Qb when your team is giving up 144 yards rushing to the other team it puts him under far greater duress.
Again 3-2 when the other team has been shut out or only scored 7 which we did not eclipse Thurs. at home ,that's a little worse than not at his best.

Which one of these guys is better can't be determined by the W-L record , Hill has two completely inexplicable ints .one cost us a game SanD and his first cost us a score Minn.

We should play whoever we plan to bring back or whoever we are undecided upon ,I want to win and I really want to see what Davis could do with the kind of defensive support Hill has gotten.

That is, by far, the funniest thing you've ever said!

Are you referring to the Arizona game where the Rams were leading until halfway through the fourth? Where the Rams D gave AD an intercepted ball late in the 3rd Q and he went 3 and out? Where he had 7 possessions at the second half with no score (for his own team I mean)? Where they took out Palmer for the season right after that?

Are you saying that the defense made AD throw an interception with almost 8 minutes left because the Rams were down by 3? Then throw a pick six the next possession?

OK, I get it. Davis is down by three with all kinds of time but the interceptions are the fault of the defense. HILL, after having 2 TDs called back on penalties and a blocked field goal, drives the team the length of the field to the 4 yard line in range of a tie or win, but he just choked?!

Awesome dude, just awesome.

Here's some context to consider: When you turn over the ball more than you throw TDs, when you give the opposing teams 42 points on pick sixes and fumbles for a score in 8 games, it's very hard on a defense. It can make a defense tired.

Last edited:

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I would stay with the QB that gives the Rams their best chance to win (Hill imo)

I do tho get the points of playing (insert whomever) as to evaluate for next year, just don't feel the organization will do it. "you play to win":LOL:

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Tough crowd, last week people were saying Hill should start next year.
I remember someone saying that! Like have him start the season until Sam was ready! Don't matter if the line can't do what it needs to do!

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
Yeah, now that we are for sure out of the wild card race, it wouldn't hurt to see what Case Keenum looks like with the number ones. Why bring him to the team if we never want to have a look at him?

They look at him in practice everyday. You mean they aren't letting you have a look at him. Probably for good reason