Shotgun pointed at your head @ 10. Pick 1. (Last poll)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

You have to pick either Gurley or Scherff

• Gurley

Votes: 16 26.7%
  • Scherff

Votes: 44 73.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Big Gurley fan but I would go the safe route here and take Scherff, although it probably wouldn't take a lot to convince to take Gurley. I believe we can still get 2 oline starters in the 2nd to 4th rounds. At G Scherff would be a great fit for this team though.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Gurley would be a great pick... if we moved back up into the bottom of the 1st. AFTER we had picked Scherff.
I want the Rams' OL to be as big, mean & nasty as our DL is shaping up to be. Or, at least as big & nasty as the Dallas OL.
I'm a big believer in the value of O-Linemen. The Razorbacks often run behind a big, beautiful jumbo line of 9 (nine) OL'ers, a QB & a RB & that's it. 5-6 yards a play, march down the field, play action pass, TD. Thing is, they already have TWO RB's with 1,100 yd games: Williams (1190 / 5.6 / 12 td) & Collins (1100 / 5.4 / 12 td)

Memphis Ram

Legend
Listening to Bill Polian on Sirius NFL Radio.

To paraphrase he basically stated that no one drafts for need within the top 10 picks. The goal there is to draft draft the BPA who is a difference maker.

Or he may have said playmaker as he went on to state that the only caveat Tony Dungy and he believed was that you draft someone that either touches the ball OR sacks the QB.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
First off I'd pull my 40 and gut shoot the guy with the shotgun. Then I'd take Scherff and continue building an O-line made of nasty, rancid beef.

Memphis Ram

Legend
My pick is based on what the op gave as options. You are free to choose who ever you like, if thats a guard so be it. I would not choose a guard at 10 so my choice is Gurley.

Yeah, that guard would have to CLEARLY have to be the best player available in order to avoid such a poor use of draft capital (#10 overall selection).

Methinks some have gotten blinded by the Cowboys success and have totally ignored the lack thereof of other teams trying that went big with the OLine buildup strategy like the Browns. Or even the Titans down here in Tennessee.

They, too, tried to go overboard to build a great OLine by adding an expensive top rated young free agent guard (Andy Levitre) and the #10 overall draft selection (Chance Warmack) to a line which featured an All-Pro LT (Michael Roos) and good RT (David Stewart) and the offense still stunk out loud. The following season they even used the #11 overall selection on OT Taylor Lewan and the smell on offense remained and remains.

Play a traditional offense? It's all about the QB.

Last edited:

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I'm amazed how many would go RB here. I know the guy is talented but I don't think we can afford to pick the icing before we even baked the cake. The single biggest hole is OL and one that can be the difference in a winning and losing season.
Especially with the injury concern.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'm amazed how many would go RB here. I know the guy is talented but I don't think we can afford to pick the icing before we even baked the cake. The single biggest hole is OL and one that can be the difference in a winning and losing season.
Especially with the injury concern.

But, why can't they do both? It's not like the 1st round choice is the only alternative to adding talent in 2015.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
But, why can't they do both? It's not like the 1st round choice is the only alternative to adding talent in 2015.

They can, of course - but wouldn't you agree that with every passing round the chances of filling a perceived hole with a quality player diminishes?

RB is probably the deepest position in this draft and not what most of us would call a glaring need.

A healthy Gurley may just be special enough to toss all of that out the window - but needs and positional depth are still part of the conversation.

Memphis Ram

Legend
They can, of course - but wouldn't you agree that with every passing round the chances of filling a perceived hole with a quality player diminishes?

RB is probably the deepest position in this draft and not what most of us would call a glaring need.

A healthy Gurley may just be special enough to toss all of that out the window - but needs and positional depth are still part of the conversation.

I'm not of the need based mindset when it comes to the NFL Draft. Especially not with a top ten selection. Those picks are gold and should be used on the best player available (within reason). A difference maker. And if Gurley was cleared medically he qualities, IMO.

Blindside pass protector? Well OK. Those are harder to find and justify the selection. But, the other OLine positions? No way. Not with a top ten selection. BTW, I'd say this is a deep interior linemen draft, too.

Last edited:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Interior line has depth. At the tackle position it seems much more thin.

Generally, I'd say you are right - bpa should trump need - especially early.

But here we are with 2/5 of an offensive line. Maybe 3/5 if our center is already on the team - I hope that is the case. I spose that just makes me too antsy.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
My pick is based on what the op gave as options. You are free to choose who ever you like, if thats a guard so be it. I would not choose a guard at 10 so my choice is Gurley.
Yeah I get yuh. But with the choices being just the two players, I'm taking a beast on the O-line vs a possibly very good RB with injury concerns.

And don't get lippy with me. I'm not the one with Kapernick as my avatar.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Yeah I get yuh. But with the choices being just the two players, I'm taking a beast on the O-line vs a possibly very good RB with injury concerns.

I totally understand why you wan't a OL, I just don't think a guard is good value at 10. My choice to be honest would be the top OT unless somebody slips thats to good to pass up.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW

True Memphis, but IMO when I watch Gurley I don't see the second coming of AP. I don't see head and shoulders above Mason. So to me it wouldn't be the best use of the pick.

I guess it all depends on who is actually at the spot. But as said in this thread, there are more day 1 ready guys in round 1 than in later rounds (not talent, just ready)

All just my humble opinion.

Last edited:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think three years from now, Gurley can be the best RB in the NFL.

So I'm taking Gurley.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

A healthy Todd Gurley could run roughshod over any defense, regardless of the offensive line. Him and Gordon are both generational talents and well worth top fifteen picks. That trumps a decent right guard any day. Besides, would you rather see San Fran or Arizona draft Gurley/Gordon or Scherff?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
A healthy Todd Gurley could run roughshod over any defense, regardless of the offensive line. Him and Gordon are both generational talents and well worth top fifteen picks. That trumps a decent right guard any day. Besides, would you rather see San Fran or Arizona draft Gurley/Gordon or Scherff?
I recall people saying that about Trent Richardson and to a lesser extent Mark Ingram and they were healthy. RBs in the first and second rounds over the past several years have not been value picks. I remember when Beanie Wells was supposed to transform the AZ offense. How'd that work out? Gurley may be as you said but the college game has changed dramatically and certain positions don't translate as well to the NFL anymore. He has the intangibles you would look for but so did Beanie and did he come to the NFL and make a big difference?

I don't see the likes of AP or other great backs in Gurley. If I did, it would be a no brainer which one I'd take provided there was no ACL issue. I would love a RB that can get yards - hole or no. I just don't see Gurley as that guy and the fact that his rushing yardage has declined each year in college does not give me the warm and fuzzies.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I recall people saying that about Trent Richardson and to a lesser extent Mark Ingram and they were healthy. RBs in the first and second rounds over the past several years have not been value picks. I remember when Beanie Wells was supposed to transform the AZ offense. How'd that work out? Gurley may be as you said but the college game has changed dramatically and certain positions don't translate as well to the NFL anymore. He has the intangibles you would look for but so did Beanie and did he come to the NFL and make a big difference?

I don't see the likes of AP or other great backs in Gurley. If I did, it would be a no brainer which one I'd take provided there was no ACL issue. I would love a RB that can get yards - hole or no. I just don't see Gurley as that guy and the fact that his rushing yardage has declined each year in college does not give me the warm and fuzzies.

Gurley's rushing yardage didn't have a chance to increase his junior year; he was suspended for NCAA bullshit before he could play against Mizzou. Gurley has shades of Marshawn Lynch and Steven Jackson. I've watched Gurley since his freshman year; Georgia used him on the kick return, as a bellcow, etc. He and Gordon are incredible backs, albeit with different running styles. Wells had no chance to transform that offense; he just wasn't that talented. Gurley clearly is.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I don't recall Mark Ingram or Beanie Wells (injury prone in college) being thought of nearly as highly as Gurley. Richardson, on the other hand, got a lot of hype, though many had concerns about his success being tethered to a good Alabama OLine. But, even then, he wasn't nearly the home run hitter or complete back Gurley is now (receiving & blocking).

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Gurley's rushing yardage didn't have a chance to increase his junior year; he was suspended for NCAA bullcrap before he could play against Mizzou. Gurley has shades of Marshawn Lynch and Steven Jackson. I've watched Gurley since his freshman year; Georgia used him on the kick return, as a bellcow, etc. He and Gordon are incredible backs, albeit with different running styles. Wells had no chance to transform that offense; he just wasn't that talented. Gurley clearly is.
As I said, you may be right but I just don't see this special talent to which you refer. He's good. But generational back? Not seeing it. I haven't watched a ton of Georgia games but when I did, I didn't see the greatness.

BTW - his rushing yardage declined from Freshman to Sophomore averaging less yards per carry while missing three games due to injury.

He is also not allowing NFL doctors to inspect the knee. If he does before the draft, I might feel a little better about him but for now, we have IMO a very good looking college RB that has missed games in two consecutive seasons due to injuries and is recovering from a torn ACL that he won't let doctors look at.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
If Gurley is as good as everyone thinks he is, then you're gonna feel pretty stupid passing on him 3 or 4 years down the line....that said I went with Scherff because there is no sure thing.