Shell shocked Rams QB with decimated O line, WRs and new OC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Re: Shell shocked Rams QB with decimated O line, WRs and new

bluecoconuts said:
Memento said:
squeaky wheel said:
Then get your eyes checked because without adequate protection no QB can thrive including SB. Suh for Robbins.....Rams D line lurches into the top 3. An even better defense absolutely HELPS THE OFFENSE.

Top three...in penalties and fines. Do you seriously want a guy on this defense that's known for playing the game the way he does, even in the fucking preseason? I'll play along and say that we drafted Suh instead of Bradford. Refs are going to be paying a ton of attention because of comments he made about the way he plays the game. With four minutes and thirty-two seconds in the fourth quarter, at a home game, our defense needs a breather because our offense hasn't scored yet. Laurinaitis breaks up a pass on third down. However, Suh hits the quarterback late on the play and gets a fifteen yard penalty. The opposing team eventually scores. On our ensuing possession, Bulger gets sacked twice and throws a pick six. And ninety percent of our stadium is filled with opposing fans because we didn't draft a franchise quarterback when we needed to.

See how I can use that slippery slope?

Bulger wanted out, we'd probably be rolling with Boller and Null still.
Or a journeyman, or a latter round QB in the draft. Thank GOD they didn't go the latter round pick route. You end up with Clausen Pickle or Colt McCoy. And Colt McCoy, as admirable as he is, is so not the prototypical QB prospect that Devaney had in mind. And hey. I wanted Suh too. I made a kickass signature of him (animated) and I was sporting it up until it was apparent the Rams were going to pick Bradford. So I got behind Bradford. And I'll stay behind Bradford. Until it becomes apparent that there are no more "reasons" for him to be under-performing. Then I'll critique him like anyone else who deserves it.

Within the guidelines of the rules, of course. :hehe:

Anonymous

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Memento said:
squeaky wheel said:
Then get your eyes checked because without adequate protection no QB can thrive including SB. Suh for Robbins.....Rams D line lurches into the top 3. An even better defense absolutely HELPS THE OFFENSE.

Top three...in penalties and fines. Do you seriously want a guy on this defense that's known for playing the game the way he does, even in the freaking preseason? I'll play along and say that we drafted Suh instead of Bradford. Refs are going to be paying a ton of attention because of comments he made about the way he plays the game. With four minutes and thirty-two seconds in the fourth quarter, at a home game, our defense needs a breather because our offense hasn't scored yet. Laurinaitis breaks up a pass on third down. However, Suh hits the quarterback late on the play and gets a fifteen yard penalty. The opposing team eventually scores. On our ensuing possession, Bulger gets sacked twice and throws a pick six. And ninety percent of our stadium is filled with opposing fans because we didn't draft a franchise quarterback when we needed to.

7-3. Feel the traction.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

squeaky wheel said:
Memento said:
squeaky wheel said:

Top three...in penalties and fines. Do you seriously want a guy on this defense that's known for playing the game the way he does, even in the freaking preseason? I'll play along and say that we drafted Suh instead of Bradford. Refs are going to be paying a ton of attention because of comments he made about the way he plays the game. With four minutes and thirty-two seconds in the fourth quarter, at a home game, our defense needs a breather because our offense hasn't scored yet. Laurinaitis breaks up a pass on third down. However, Suh hits the quarterback late on the play and gets a fifteen yard penalty. The opposing team eventually scores. On our ensuing possession, Bulger gets sacked twice and throws a pick six. And ninety percent of our stadium is filled with opposing fans because we didn't draft a franchise quarterback when we needed to.

7-3. Feel the traction.
Does Detroit have an offense? I didn't bother to check. I was just wondering how they win games with just a defensive tackle. Whatever that formula is, we should copy it.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

squeaky wheel said:
Memento said:
squeaky wheel said:

7-3. Feel the traction.

In your scenario and the real-life one, the Rams don't have an elite, game-changing wide receiver like Calvin Johnson. In your scenario, they don't even have a young franchise quarterback like Stafford. In your scenario, we have Steven Jackson as our only elite offensive option; as much as I like Amendola, he's still just a slot receiver, albeit a damn good one. In your scenario, we have Long, Laurinaitis and Suh on defense; you wouldn't have drafted Quinn, and you've said as much numerous times. So, in that scenario, we still have just three great young players on defense who haven't had season-ending injuries.

Have we changed anything? Of course. Is it for the better? Nobody knows. We don't know if it would be better or worse or if it stays the same. Why even bother to think about it? We could have had Haloti Ngata, Elvis Dumervil, Darrelle Revis, Troy Polamalu, and Nick Collins on our defense, but we don't. So why think about things like that if it's just going to bum you out?

Anonymous

Memento said:
squeaky wheel said:
Memento said:
squeaky wheel said:

7-3. Feel the traction.

In your scenario and the real-life one, the Rams don't have an elite, game-changing wide receiver like Calvin Johnson. In your scenario, they don't even have a young franchise quarterback like Stafford. In your scenario, we have Steven Jackson as our only elite offensive option; as much as I like Amendola, he's still just a slot receiver, albeit a damn good one. In your scenario, we have Long, Laurinaitis and Suh on defense; you wouldn't have drafted Quinn, and you've said as much numerous times. So, in that scenario, we still have just three great young players on defense who haven't had season-ending injuries.

Have we changed anything? Of course. Is it for the better? Nobody knows. We don't know if it would be better or worse or if it stays the same. Why even bother to think about it? We could have had Haloti Ngata, Elvis Dumervil, Darrelle Revis, Troy Polamalu, and Nick Collins on our defense, but we don't. So why think about things like that if it's just going to bum you out?

You've bounced offtrack. At issue is the drafting of a QB #1 overall that you cannot protect. That was true of the previous QB that was widely blamed and scapegoated. Years pass but the Rams FO is in the same position. The signs are all there if you care to look. Sad thing is SB is getting there far earlier in his career. He's regressing and this team can't afford it. Let me repeat.....I don't fault SB.

As for Suh....what protection does he need? He doesn't. He needs the others on the line to provide pressure. He would have that here too. Robbins gave a good performance last game in which thus far has been an off performance compared to last year for him. Robbins isn't a long term answer. Suh would likely be the long term anchor. And you're wrong that I said I'd never have drafted Quinn. All I ever said was there are questions, reasonable questions regarding the pick. Those questions are still in play considering his not being active or not being used enough....only Spags and Flajole can answer that. He has shown excellent speed and finishes a tackle better than most of our vets. At 1-7 why isn't he playing more?

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler

squeaky wheel said:
You've bounced offtrack. At issue is the drafting of a QB #1 overall that you cannot protect. That was true of the previous QB that was widely blamed and scapegoated. Years pass but the Rams FO is in the same position. The signs are all there if you care to look. Sad thing is SB is getting there far earlier in his career. He's regressing and this team can't afford it. Let me repeat.....I don't fault SB.

But we did attempt to completely rebuild our OL. Thats what Devaney has had to start from scratch with ever since he got here. Thats why we gave the big bucks to all the players on the OL. Its been a huge disappointment. Whos fault is it? Devaneys? Spags? Loneys? I don't know. I know some people didnt like the Smith pick because he was raw, but other than that has anyone been upset with the players we have signed? I havent, and it sucks to see them underachieving now.

Anonymous

JdashSTL said:
squeaky wheel said:

But we did attempt to completely rebuild our OL. Thats what Devaney has had to start from scratch with ever since he got here. Thats why we gave the big bucks to all the players on the OL. Its been a huge disappointment. Whos fault is it? Devaneys? Spags? Loneys? I don't know. I know some people didnt like the Smith pick because he was raw, but other than that has anyone been upset with the players we have signed? I havent, and it sucks to see them underachieving now.

That's on the FO. Certainly Devaney. He can't even draft serviceable.....it's like years before with all the high D line draft picks....but at least they made the field....our O line after Pace has been a litany of excuses with personnel ad a lot of money and high picks.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler

squeaky wheel said:
JdashSTL said:
squeaky wheel said:

That's on the FO. Certainly Devaney. He can't even draft serviceable.....it's like years before with all the high D line draft picks....but at least they made the field....our O line after Pace has been a litany of excuses with personnel ad a lot of money and high picks.

But the OL still played well last year, and that was with essentially 2 rookies at OT. I know it was a dink and dunk offense but they were decent Jason Brown was considered a good signing when we picked him up. So was Dahl. Bell? I dont recall the reaction to that. Goldberg has proved to be a solid pickup. I still believe Saffold will be a fine OT. Greco? He didnt workout. Smith isnt looking too good right now. What could Devaney have done differently? We go from one year when it looked like our OL finally turned the corner because the same 5 guys played together most of the season and it would only improve because we just needed that upgrade at RG. That didnt happen. I dont understand how all that blame can be solely put on Devaney. One thing I am very critical of is not getting a new OL coach that had familiarity with McDs system.

Anonymous

JdashSTL said:
squeaky wheel said:
JdashSTL said:
squeaky wheel said:

But the OL still played well last year, and that was with essentially 2 rookies at OT. I know it was a dink and dunk offense but they were decent Jason Brown was considered a good signing when we picked him up. So was Dahl. Bell? I dont recall the reaction to that. Goldberg has proved to be a solid pickup. I still believe Saffold will be a fine OT. Greco? He didnt workout. Smith isnt looking too good right now. What could Devaney have done differently? We go from one year when it looked like our OL finally turned the corner because the same 5 guys played together most of the season and it would only improve because we just needed that upgrade at RG. That didnt happen. I dont understand how all that blame can be solely put on Devaney. One thing I am very critical of is not getting a new OL coach that had familiarity with McDs system.

I didn't think the O line played well last year. I watched SB running for his life frequently. I also saw the dink and dunk offense in part because SB wasn't getting a decent pocket much of the time. Brown, Bell and Smith don't ook like much now. Goldberg is always the guy they are looking to replace. What a bizarre career. Saffold looks good so far but damn what a way to be lost. Dahl, I'm not sure....I hope he's a keeper. Yeah the McD signing sure seems to have wrought repercussions.

superfan24

Starter

squeaky wheel said:
JdashSTL said:
squeaky wheel said:
JdashSTL said:
squeaky wheel said:

I didn't think the O line played well last year. I watched SB running for his life frequently. I also saw the dink and dunk offense in part because SB wasn't getting a decent pocket much of the time. Brown, Bell and Smith don't ook like much now. Goldberg is always the guy they are looking to replace. What a bizarre career. Saffold looks good so far but damn what a way to be lost. Dahl, I'm not sure....I hope he's a keeper. Yeah the McD signing sure seems to have wrought repercussions.

Saffold was definitely playing better last year than this year before the injury. And Brown was having a great year too

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler

squeaky wheel said:
JdashSTL said:
squeaky wheel said:
JdashSTL said:
squeaky wheel said:

Well we can really look back now and appreciate the job Shurmur did protecting the OL and Sam.

Anonymous

JdashSTL said:
squeaky wheel said:
JdashSTL said:
squeaky wheel said:
JdashSTL said:
squeaky wheel said:

Well we can really look back now and appreciate the job Shurmur did protecting the OL and Sam.

Very true.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

squeaky wheel said:

As for Suh....what protection does he need? He doesn't. He needs the others on the line to provide pressure. He would have that here too. Robbins gave a good performance last game in which thus far has been an off performance compared to last year for him. Robbins isn't a long term answer. Suh would likely be the long term anchor. And you're wrong that I said I'd never have drafted Quinn. All I ever said was there are questions, reasonable questions regarding the pick. Those questions are still in play considering his not being active or not being used enough....only Spags and Flajole can answer that. He has shown excellent speed and finishes a tackle better than most of our vets. At 1-7 why isn't he playing more?

And you've missed my point. Hindsight is little more than an especially cruel way to torment one's self. Why would you focus on what could have been instead of what we should do to fix the problem? At least the latter option doesn't focus entirely on subjective "what if?" scenarios that will never happen.

You and I don't know what the Rams would be like if they had drafted Suh. Their draft strategy for 2010 and 2011 would have likely changed. There are way too many variables to accurately predict what the record or even the look of the team would be like if we had Suh instead of Bradford.

I'm not discounting the fact that we desperately need help along the offensive front or at the defensive tackle position. I'm not discounting what message you're trying to send. I'm simply saying that we drafted Bradford, not Suh. The least we can do as fans is think about what can help the team as it is.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Man, if only Eric Crouch wanted to be a receiver. Think of the possibilities!

I agree with Mem though. All these "what if" scenarios have been played over and over and over. It's the very definition of counter-productivity. The line was good enough to keep Bradford upright and productive in 2010. In 2011, we even added to that with Dahl. The PROBLEM isn't the draft strategy. The PROBLEM is the offensive coordinator's lack of pragmatism, and the injuries that have compounded his one real weakness.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Man I really wish some other team drafted Suh. B/c I really like the guy and the Lions, and I like to watch them and see them do well. But then I come on any given Rams board and see some guy still butthurt about no selecting him. Pisses me off.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Angry Ram said:
Man I really wish some other team drafted Suh. B/c I really like the guy and the Lions, and I like to watch them and see them do well. But then I come on any given Rams board and see some guy still butthurt about not selecting him. Pisses me off.
Agree.

Orfordram

UDFA

X said:
Man, if only Eric Crouch wanted to be a receiver. Think of the possibilities!

I agree with Mem though. All these "what if" scenarios have been played over and over and over. It's the very definition of counter-productivity. The line was good enough to keep Bradford upright and productive in 2010. In 2011, we even added to that with Dahl. The PROBLEM isn't the draft strategy. The PROBLEM is the offensive coordinator's lack of pragmatism, and the injuries that have compounded his one real weakness.

Right on, X. I was afraid of the "long ball" orientation of McDanies when he was signed. I didn't see any reason not to just go get another west coast offense guy and plug him in - no fuss no muss. Instead, what we have is a lot of promising careers damaged or in jeopardy. It's a shame what's happening to this team

This game is hard enough on the players' bodies without piling on unrealistic expectations about how long blocks can be held. It is absolutely ridiculous to start looking to throw the long ball, neglect the short throws that are there for the picking, and subject the linemen to unnecessary punishment. I think the GSOT formula is still possible, but if it is to work in this time of increasingly aggressive defenses, I believe it is necessary to start with a great receiving corps. Then the plays happen faster, and expose the line and QB to less punishment.

As for the absolute slaughter that is going on in the defensive secondary, it would obviously be a lot less if the offense could cut the mustard.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

And everyone complains about the gameplan and opening up in the spread, but, but.....in the first series we moved the football, which stalled on a dropped pass, and then in the second series, we scored a touchdown.

The drives stalled because of lack of execution....dropped passes, bad passes, bad routes, bad calls, no separation, poor blocking, and not being able to run the ball on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd down.

The blame is widespread as always, but it's easier to blame one or two guys. That's just the way it is.

The offense is broken in so many ways, or we would at least luck into a few scores.....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

DR RAM said:
And everyone complains about the gameplan and opening up in the spread, but, but.....in the first series we moved the football, which stalled on a dropped pass, and then in the second series, we scored a touchdown.

The drives stalled because of lack of execution....dropped passes, bad passes, bad routes, bad calls, no separation, poor blocking, and not being able to run the ball on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd down.

The blame is widespread as always, but it's easier to blame one or two guys. That's just the way it is.

The offense is broken in so many ways, or we would at least luck into a few scores.....
Right. But why do you suppose that is? How did this team become such a cluster fuck on offense in as little as a year. This is how I see it. Steven Jackson was asked about the game plan (naturally) because he wasn't a focal point in it. His response was, "we practiced it all week." Yeah? And? A week is enough to get 11 guys on the same page? I understand it was to combat a perceived weakness against Seattle, but still. A week isn't long enough to install a whole new set of plays. That's where McDaniels isn't pragmatic. If the whole offense is struggling week in and week out, then why try even MORE exotic and new shit? It just doesn't make sense. It's rather easy to point to one person if that one person is responsible for orchestrating what 11 guys are supposed to do.

That's the way I see it anyway.

Anonymous

Angry Ram said:
Man I really wish some other team drafted Suh. B/c I really like the guy and the Lions, and I like to watch them and see them do well. But then I come on any given Rams board and see some guy still butthurt about no selecting him. Pisses me off.

Not butthurt......simply posing a common sense question backed up by ample recent Rams history. Read it again then check this thread AGAIN and your emotions at the door:

Why draft a QB #1 OVERALL if you can't protect him?