Seven riskiest signings of NFL free agency so far/NFL.com

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Seven riskiest signings of NFL free agency so far

By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The NFL Editor

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...f-nfl-free-agency-so-far?campaign=Twitter_atn

After an insane first day of free agency, things calmed down considerably around the NFL on Thursday. That gives a chance to take stock of what's happened so far.

While it's more fun to choose our favorite deals of free agency thus far, it should be easier to predict what deals won't pan out. History tells us that the majority of first-day signings in free agency won't be worth the money. So what were the seven shakiest deals thus far?

1-2. Mohamed Sanu and Marvin Jones: The former Bengals receivers are both nice players, but they benefited from a razor thin free-agent wide receiver market. Sanu, signed by the Atlanta Falcons, was essentially the fifth receiver in Cincinnati last year and did not quite measure up when he was asked to start while replacing Jones in 2014. He didn't top 500 yards in any other season. Ultimately, he is a solid underneath receiver with flexibility that is getting paid like a top-level starter. His contract (five years for $32 million and $14 million guaranteed) positions him as a No. 2 wideout.

Jones has a much more complete skill set, and we've long believed in his talent. But he's been in the league four seasons and has never topped 850 yards. He will make $13 million in 2016, and $27 million over the first three seasons. That's No. 1 receiver money and it won't help the expectations in Detroit that he was signed the day after Calvin Johnson retired.

It's not a great sign that the Bengals didn't make it a priority to bring the receivers back. But it also wasn't that surprising; they were secondary pieces on the Bengals' offense.

3. Janoris Jenkins, New York Giants cornerback: Jenkins is a solid starting cornerback that excels in man coverage and is undoubtedly a playmaker. But he also gives up big plays and doesn't always have consistent effort as he admitted on Thursday. When Jenkins was asked what he can improve upon, he answered:

"Stop being lazy at the end of games."

The money is just out of whack in Jenkins' deal. With $62.5 million over five seasons, including $29.5 million guaranteed, Jenkins now ranks second among cornerbacks in guaranteed money. That's ahead of guys like Patrick Peterson and Richard Sherman. Jenkins has not made a Pro Bowl and the Rams chose to keep Trumaine Johnson over him. So essentially the Giants spent nearly $200 million on three players (Jenkins, Olivier Vernon and Damon Harrison) that weren't even the top players at their position on their previous teams. General manager Jerry Reese knows that his dream team needs to start fast in 2016 or the natives will be restless in New York.

4. Mario Williams, Miami Dolphins defensive end: Some teams try to "buy low" on bargains during free agency. Others just spend like crazy. Miami's strategy has been curious. They are "buying medium" on players like Mario Williams and Byron Maxwell coming off down seasons at big prices elsewhere. The price tag on Williams ($17 million over two years) isn't outrageous, but there just isn't great reason to believe Williams will bounce back after a lackluster effort in Buffalo last season.

5-6. Brock Osweiler and Sam Bradford, quarterbacks: The going rate of $18 million per season for mid-level starting quarterback play is suddenly the norm. Bradford's numbers have never matched his potential and he is barely making less than Cam Newton, Tom Brady, Matt Ryan and Drew Brees. Bradford might start out as the clear No. 1, but he's transitioning to yet another system and has a backup in Chase Daniel who knows the scheme better. What player other than Bradford could sign for that much money and then potentially have to battle to keep his starting job?

Should Brock Osweiler get extra credit for having less experience and more potential when compared to a quarterback such as Bradford? Osweiler could turn out to be a risk worth taking for the Houston Texans. But there is no denying that general manager Rick Smith put his future on the line by giving such an unproven commodity $37 million guaranteed over the next two seasons *the full contract is $72 million over four years). It's impossible to know how Osweiler will pan out in coach Bill O'Brien's system. Osweiler showed some promising characteristics in Denver, especially in his pocket movement. But he's an unknown quantity that will now determine the future of this franchise.

7. Coby Fleener, New Orleans Saints tight end: It's never a good sign when a player's original team shows little interest in keeping him. The Colts decided to re-sign Dwayne Allen for big money despite lower production than Fleener over the last four years. Fleener's reputation for drops and soft play precede him in New Orleans. Ben Watson was coming off a season with nearly 1,000 yards receiving and they let him leave for little money, instead using up much of their small cap space on Fleener. If they wanted to sign a very poor man's Jimmy Graham, why not just keep Jimmy Graham?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Fleener to New Orleans was actually a really nice fit. Brees and that offense use the F out of the TE and Fleener is an excellent receiving talent. To me it looks like a really nice signing.

The others I pretty much agree with.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
What player other than Bradford could sign for that much money and then potentially have to battle to keep his starting job?

Yes very strange situation in Philly. I guess they figure they can always trade Bradford if he gets bumped to Number 2 and is unhappy.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I passed right over the part about Jenkins. At least he speaks the truth. He could have said "I need to stop being lazy at the end of each half" IIRC he gave up some big plays heading to the locker room the first time too.

why would he say that though. I bet it made headlines in New York.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes very strange situation in Philly. I guess they figure they can always trade Bradford if he gets bumped to Number 2 and is unhappy.

Just because media hacks like this guy say it it doesn't make it so. Always trying to make something out of nothing.

Call it for what it is, an expensive insurance policy. Pederson saw what happened to the Rams in successive years and wants to make sure it doesn't happen to his team. He wants a quality back up.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Call it for what it is, an expensive insurance policy. Pederson saw what happened to the Rams in successive years and wants to make sure it doesn't happen to his team. He wants a quality back up.
Good, because he has 2 backups in Bradford and Daniel. I wouldn't be the slightest surprised if Daniel wins that job at some point. I wanted the Rams to go after him. I think he can be a good QB at this level.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor

I would think that contract would make him un-tradable as a #2 depending on whether the Eagles would be on the hook for some of it.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
I have never seen a player who has accomplished less be more overrated than Chase Daniel. He is a career back up. He will not win the job over Bradford. Is it just because of the college he went to here?

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have never seen a player who has accomplished less be more overrated than Chase Daniel.
Sure you have. His name is Sam Bradford. Or Brock Osweiler.....or Matt Flynn......or Kevin Kolb....I could go on and on. Oh, and I don't live in or root for Mizzou, so that hasn't affected my opinion....

wmc540

Pro Bowler
Sure you have. His name is Sam Bradford. Or Brock Osweiler.....or Matt Flynn......or Kevin Kolb....Icould go on and on. Oh, and I don't live in or root for Mizzou, so that hasn't affected my opinion....

78 TDs to 1 TD ha. Matt Flynn is right up there with him, but Brock Oisweiler is practically a Hall of Famer compared to him.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
78 TDs to 1 TD ha. Matt Flynn is right up there with him, but Brock Oisweiler is practically a Hall of Famer compared to him.
Just curious. Who do you see "over rating" Daniel?? I have barely seen any mention of him. Certainly haven't seen anyone calling him the next Peyton Manning....

wmc540

Pro Bowler
Just curious. Who do you see "over rating" Daniel?? I have barely seen any mention of him. Certainly haven't seen anyone calling him the next Peyton Manning....

Personally I believe anyone that believes he can win a starting job overrated him and I've seen a good amount of that on this message board. Eagles coach signed him for familiarity.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Just because media hacks like this guy say it it doesn't make it so. Always trying to make something out of nothing.

Thing is Daniel may have been named a starter on another team. Jets, Broncos, Browns. Why not wait it out and see. Still seems fishy.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thing is Daniel may have been named a starter on another team. Jets, Broncos, Browns. Why not wait it out and see. Still seems fishy.

he probably wants to play for pederson and thinks there's a good chance sam will go down. in the meantime he's getting paid $7m a year for standing on the sideline.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
he probably wants to play for pederson and thinks there's a good chance sam will go down. in the meantime he's getting paid $7m a year for standing on the sideline.

yeah I get it but doesn't he have any competitive fire? If I have the chance to start or backup I am putting myself in the game man. I hate watching from the sidelines.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
When Jenkins was asked what he can improve upon, he answered:
I was upset with losing Jenkins but after reading this not anymore. What an as. So he cost the Rams games by being lazy. With a nice big contract and $29 mil guaranteed there is no way he will all of a sudden changes his ways. Glad he is gone. Waste of a draft pick. So much much drafting these players with problems and big ? marks. No wonder Fisher's team can't win.
I can't blame teams paying big bucks to those QB's. QB's are at a premium and if you want to win you HAVE to have one.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Seven riskiest signings of NFL free agency so far

By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The NFL Editor

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...f-nfl-free-agency-so-far?campaign=Twitter_atn

After an insane first day of free agency, things calmed down considerably around the NFL on Thursday. That gives a chance to take stock of what's happened so far.

While it's more fun to choose our favorite deals of free agency thus far, it should be easier to predict what deals won't pan out. History tells us that the majority of first-day signings in free agency won't be worth the money. So what were the seven shakiest deals thus far?

1-2. Mohamed Sanu and Marvin Jones: The former Bengals receivers are both nice players, but they benefited from a razor thin free-agent wide receiver market. Sanu, signed by the Atlanta Falcons, was essentially the fifth receiver in Cincinnati last year and did not quite measure up when he was asked to start while replacing Jones in 2014. He didn't top 500 yards in any other season. Ultimately, he is a solid underneath receiver with flexibility that is getting paid like a top-level starter. His contract (five years for $32 million and $14 million guaranteed) positions him as a No. 2 wideout.

Jones has a much more complete skill set, and we've long believed in his talent. But he's been in the league four seasons and has never topped 850 yards. He will make $13 million in 2016, and $27 million over the first three seasons. That's No. 1 receiver money and it won't help the expectations in Detroit that he was signed the day after Calvin Johnson retired.

It's not a great sign that the Bengals didn't make it a priority to bring the receivers back. But it also wasn't that surprising; they were secondary pieces on the Bengals' offense.

3. Janoris Jenkins, New York Giants cornerback: Jenkins is a solid starting cornerback that excels in man coverage and is undoubtedly a playmaker. But he also gives up big plays and doesn't always have consistent effort as he admitted on Thursday. When Jenkins was asked what he can improve upon, he answered:

The money is just out of whack in Jenkins' deal. With $62.5 million over five seasons, including $29.5 million guaranteed, Jenkins now ranks second among cornerbacks in guaranteed money. That's ahead of guys like Patrick Peterson and Richard Sherman. Jenkins has not made a Pro Bowl and the Rams chose to keep Trumaine Johnson over him. So essentially the Giants spent nearly $200 million on three players (Jenkins, Olivier Vernon and Damon Harrison) that weren't even the top players at their position on their previous teams. General manager Jerry Reese knows that his dream team needs to start fast in 2016 or the natives will be restless in New York.

4. Mario Williams, Miami Dolphins defensive end: Some teams try to "buy low" on bargains during free agency. Others just spend like crazy. Miami's strategy has been curious. They are "buying medium" on players like Mario Williams and Byron Maxwell coming off down seasons at big prices elsewhere. The price tag on Williams ($17 million over two years) isn't outrageous, but there just isn't great reason to believe Williams will bounce back after a lackluster effort in Buffalo last season.

5-6. Brock Osweiler and Sam Bradford, quarterbacks: The going rate of $18 million per season for mid-level starting quarterback play is suddenly the norm. Bradford's numbers have never matched his potential and he is barely making less than Cam Newton, Tom Brady, Matt Ryan and Drew Brees. Bradford might start out as the clear No. 1, but he's transitioning to yet another system and has a backup in Chase Daniel who knows the scheme better. What player other than Bradford could sign for that much money and then potentially have to battle to keep his starting job?

Should Brock Osweiler get extra credit for having less experience and more potential when compared to a quarterback such as Bradford? Osweiler could turn out to be a risk worth taking for the Houston Texans. But there is no denying that general manager Rick Smith put his future on the line by giving such an unproven commodity $37 million guaranteed over the next two seasons *the full contract is $72 million over four years). It's impossible to know how Osweiler will pan out in coach Bill O'Brien's system. Osweiler showed some promising characteristics in Denver, especially in his pocket movement. But he's an unknown quantity that will now determine the future of this franchise.

7. Coby Fleener, New Orleans Saints tight end: It's never a good sign when a player's original team shows little interest in keeping him. The Colts decided to re-sign Dwayne Allen for big money despite lower production than Fleener over the last four years. Fleener's reputation for drops and soft play precede him in New Orleans. Ben Watson was coming off a season with nearly 1,000 yards receiving and they let him leave for little money, instead using up much of their small cap space on Fleener. If they wanted to sign a very poor man's Jimmy Graham, why not just keep Jimmy Graham?
What about JPP because of his hand issue!?! I'd be a bit concerned about that if I where a GM!!

WestCoastRam

Legend
Boy, just imagine these QB prices last year. The Foles contract is looking like a steal comparatively. Maybe it wasn't such a bad contract.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I passed right over the part about Jenkins. At least he speaks the truth. He could have said "I need to stop being lazy at the end of each half" IIRC he gave up some big plays heading to the locker room the first time too.

why would he say that though. I bet it made headlines in New York.

Yeah. I bet they were scanning the contract to see if there was a 3 day Right of Recision.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I have never seen a player who has accomplished less be more overrated than Chase Daniel. He is a career back up. He will not win the job over Bradford. Is it just because of the college he went to here?

I'm trying to figure it out too. Daniel has 2 starts in 7 seasons!

Lost all these years, a starter stuck behind Drew Brees and Alex Smith?