Senior Bowl invititations

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Van Jefferson in Round 2 is madness. You're falling into a trap. There are much, much, much better WRs projected to go in the 3rd round than Van. Tyler Johnson and Quintez Cephus are better versions of Jefferson.

Tyler Johnson is one of my favorites. He's just so smooth out of his breaks, and when I checked the last bowl game with Minnesota against Auburn (was looking at Noah Igbinoghene's tape), and Johnson was beating every Tiger like a new set of drums, including Igbinoghene.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe so. Could be that I've been looking at him for a while now and I've come to like him so much that I'm giving in to that feeling of paranoia that he's gonna climb the boards.

That said he had a hell of a week at the Senior Bowl so let's wait and see how he does on his 40 and shuttle times. I expect the 40 won't be too great, and his shuttle should be good for his size/weight but who knows.

I watched his entire career at UF. He's a solid player, but he's not the guy that the Senior Bowl practices are hyping him up to be. He's more Tajae Sharpe than Cooper Kupp.

Have you checked out Tyler Johnson from Minnesota? He's special.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tyler Johnson is one of my favorites. He's just so smooth out of his breaks, and when I checked the last bowl game with Minnesota against Auburn (was looking at Noah Igbinoghene's tape), and Johnson was beating every Tiger like a new set of drums, including Igbinoghene.

I love Johnson. His route tempo is a thing of beauty. You can tell that the kid understands the big picture and how to read defenses based on his route tempo. His route running is also phenomenal. If there's a Cooper Kupp in this class, it's Tyler Johnson.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I love Johnson. His route tempo is a thing of beauty. You can tell that the kid understands the big picture and how to read defenses based on his route tempo. His route running is also phenomenal. If there's a Cooper Kupp in this class, it's Tyler Johnson.

And, in my honest opinion, he's a much better athlete than given credit for. Granted, Aiyuk is still my favorite (not sure why, exactly, he was prohibited from playing the Senior Bowl or if it's medical-related), but Johnson is definitely going in my next mock draft with trades.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While I'm gushing about Tyler Johnson, I want to focus a bit more on his route tempo. Here are four plays:
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

These four plays show Johnson varying his route tempo. Those variances show just how advanced he is in terms of his route running and football IQ. In the first play, you see a slower tempo off the LOS. This makes sense. It's a play-action passing play with an extra blocker, and Auburn isn't blitzing. Johnson comes off the line slower and throws a little shoulder fake in at the top of his route (to get the DB to move just a little in the wrong direction). By doing so, he gives his QB a large window between the DB covering him and the LB sucked up on the PA fake in which to throw. If he had come off the LOS with a less patient cadence, he would have run himself out of the window before the end of the PA fake.

In the second play, you see Auburn bringing a heavy blitz. You also see Johnson coming off the LOS with a lot more urgency. He knows he has to move quickly to get to the hole in the coverage because his QB is going to have a blitzer in his face. In the third play, Johnson recognizes that he has a one on one against a mismatch and is running a long-developing route (deep double move). He again comes off the LOS with urgency because he knows there is a mismatch to exploit and needs to move quickly in case there's pressure on his QB.

Finally, on the fourth play, we see Johnson come off the LOS with a slower tempo again. It's a PA fake with a lot of congestion in the middle of the field. He needs to give his QB a window coming off the fake. (Well, to be technical, it's an RPO.) Watch him leverage his stem outside to get the CB moving in the wrong direction and then cut back inside at just the right moment to be in a massive window when his QB is ready to throw. If he doesn't leverage this route properly and comes off the LOS with more urgency, he would have run himself into the congestion and prevented Morgan from having a window.

What this shows clearly to me is that Johnson has a high-level understanding of the big picture of what the offense is trying to do and is able to read defenses. Through his route running and route tempo, he's creating windows for his QB. He's also adapting his route based on what his offense is doing, what the defense is showing, and the potential match-up advantages he spots. Johnson isn't just a quick player who runs great routes. He has a high football IQ and a very advanced understanding of how to beat defenses.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
While I'm gushing about Tyler Johnson
Yeah this dude is definitely underrated. Have him way down a list of guys I haven't looked at too much. In fact there's a ton of wideouts I haven't fully watched tbh and somehow I didn't watch that Outback Bowl he got MVP honors in.

Only prob I see with him is he's a slot guy. Which means he'll probably remain down the board a bit not to mention it's not as much a need for us as a guy who can line up outside the hashes. But I think you're right re: him being a Kupp type who will outperform his draft spot.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah this dude is definitely underrated. Have him way down a list of guys I haven't looked at too much. In fact there's a ton of wideouts I haven't fully watched tbh and somehow I didn't watch that Outback Bowl he got MVP honors in.

Only prob I see with him is he's a slot guy. Which means he'll probably remain down the board a bit not to mention it's not as much a need for us as a guy who can line up outside the hashes. But I think you're right re: him being a Kupp type who will outperform his draft spot.

Like Robert Woods, Johnson can line up both in the slot and outside. Minnesota tended to use him in the slot more this year because they had Rashod Bateman outside, so it would maximize their ability to create mismatches.