Sean McVay vs Kyle Shanahan

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

nighttrain

Legend
Haven't seen anybody on the Rams sideline better than McVay since George Allen, he was a wizard
train

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Kyle is the least motivating coach ever. You can just see the leadership differences.

No doubt. Kyle is a tactical guy, super smart but yes I don't think he's in Sean's class as a leader.

Rams bent the 9ers over when they hired McVay, getting the grandson of a legendary 9er GM to pair with the bay area QB who grew up idolizing Joe Montana.

Rams gonna dump on the 9ers for years to come. All this talk about the 9ers is gonna look pretty ridiculous next year. As Rams fans we know damn well what late season wins do for translating into wins the next season. 9ers not going to be in the Rams class next year, and IMO it's gonna be that way for a while.

Buckle up whiner fans, it's gonna be a rough ride.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm still wondering what the hell did Shanny do to that 9ers offense? How can Jimmy G. be that good, in that system, that fast?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm still wondering what the hell did Shanny do to that 9ers offense? How can Jimmy G. be that good, in that system, that fast?
Jimmy G. is THAT good. I wanted him for the Rams when he came out in the draft...Could be we would have ruined the kid though, since he wouldn't have been allowed to sit and learn behind Brady while being coached up....

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Kyle is an elite OC, and Jimmy has had plenty of time to adjust to this league, and learn, and await his chance. Question is whether Jimmy G is special. Everyone's assuming he is, but I suspect he'll be more of a Cousins type where the system maximizes mediocre talent.

We'll see. Let's wait for how he plays over an entire sched next year.

TexasRam

Legend

He has 5 TDs and 3 ints and about 250 yards per game. People don’t realize that vs the jags Bortles have them 3 easy TD’s and another from a fumble. That was a classic Bortles game.

Jimmy G isn’t exactly a world beater yet at some have mad him out to be once you break down the games.

But in Shannahans system he’s doing a nice job as he should for someone that has been in the league this long.

jap

Legend
Jimmy G. hasn't been properly introduced to Aaron "The Beast!" Donald or The Mighty Quinn as yet . . . and he still may see neither one this weekend---unless Robert is allowed to go play a bit and establish a pace for the playoffs. At his best, no one and I mean no one! turned a corner to get after the QB faster than Quinn. He started showcasing some of is old self the past few games, and I really want to see more! A prime time Quinn with The Beast! will be sheer misery for playoff opponents!

GBRam15

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
GBRam15
They couldn't be any more different. On a lighter note, I bet the folks over at Bad Lip Reading will have a field day with these two.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He difference is incredible. McVay looks like he is commanding a winning locker room and Shanahan looks like he is the late night math tutor discussing the last test.

to be fair, the whiners are 5 and 10. they got nothing to be happy about. that reflects in the mood of the locker room. sure they're happy they won but there's no excitement there. meanwhile the rams just won the division title and made the playoffs for the first time in 14 years. they were always gonna be more excited about whatever mcvay said.

Tushar

UDFA
Name
Tushar
to be fair, the whiners are 5 and 10. they got nothing to be happy about. that reflects in the mood of the locker room. sure they're happy they won but there's no excitement there. meanwhile the rams just won the division title and made the playoffs for the first time in 14 years. they were always gonna be more excited about whatever mcvay said.

True but during Coach McVay’s previous speeches (from week 1 against the Colts), that locker room energy is always there. I have been so impressed with Coach’s leadership this season, starting from the offseason where we got a glimpse through ESPN’s 24 Hours video. For a man that doesn’t sleep much, he is always energetic and it’s infectious.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Shanny is known to be a reserved dude who comes across kinda weird. He's brilliant of course, but on the leadership side there isn't really a comparison between the two. McVay is light years better in commanding a room.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Curious to see Shanahan's development as an HC, I'll give him a slight edge over McVay as an offensive playcaller but McVay is lightyears ahead in terms of communication/leadership skills that resonate with players and coaching-alike. Real challenge for these two will be how they fare once their respective defensive coordinators depart