Sean McVay discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
But aren't YOU the one who initiated the discussion when YOU posted the following last night:
'I love McVay, but I think that Andy Reid has him beat overall."

Wasn't that post the first mention of Andy Reid, and the first comparison on this thread of Reid to McVay?
That was before others on here tried to compare things from thirty years ago to what's happening today.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
That was before others on here tried to compare things from thirty years ago to what's happening today.
You brought-up Andy Reid ... compared him to Sean McVay ... then, later-on, said comparisons are futile.

Did I miss something? Honest question, as I do miss stuff.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I’ve come to believe that McVay is not the playcalling Alpha in this league.
He’s certainly good at it, one of the better overall X’s and O’s guys around the league in terms of the passing game and scheming players open etc. I think there are better offensive minds around the league, young and old.

Where I believe he’s shown to be an Alpha is in leadership, motivation, managing a team and pretty much everything involved with being a HC of an entire roster and a coaching staff.
His handling of both veteran and young players is seamless. The way his teams respond to adversity is tremendous.

Culture building.
I don’t think anyone rivals McVay in this way except for maybe Tomlin.

He’s always referred to as the young offensive genius. I dare say he might be a little overrated there, but I don’t think he gets near enough credit for being a HC of an entire team.

This nails it. McVay is unparalleled as a culture builder, and it cannot be overemphasized how important that is. Compare that to someone like Martz, who was a good offensive mind but was horrible at building and maintaining a culture of winning.

He's also a pretty good X's and O's guy, although not necessarily the best in the league. Very good, but not #1.

I think his biggest flaws are in playcalling and more generally, adjusting to the moment and the flow of the game (the red zone issues are a prime example). In particular, I think he's too often unwilling to just take what the defense gives him. That's where he needs to improve, but if he can indeed improve there, he can be in the running for best coach in the NFL and near (if not at) the top for all time.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Allen2McVay, I was comparing McVay to Reid today and then it became a comparison to their first seven years. That to me is meaningless as McVay probably won't coach that long. What matters is what's happening now.
Reid is more innovative, his offense seemingly has a new wrinkle or two every week. And it's not because of Mahommes either.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
I love McVay, but I think that Andy Reid has him beat overall.
The dude lost MANY big games until got got Mahomes saving his ass. He got ran out of Philly.
Better ? I would not switch for a second.
Sean McVay is smarter than Andy Reid.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Culture building.
I don’t think anyone rivals McVay in this way except for maybe Tomlin.
Pff, Tomlin has had plenty of culture problems in his years and perhaps may be overrated in that regard. All that to say, McVay has got Tomlin beat in the culture building aspect of head coaching in my opinion.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
True, all though could have done without that metaphor bouncing around in my head.
He's probably got more fat in his jizz than than Roseanne Barr stuffed into a bikini.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Allen2McVay, I was comparing McVay to Reid today and then it became a comparison

Actually, it was last night (page 13 of this thread) when you posted the following:
'I love McVay, but I think that Andy Reid has him beat overall.'

As I have now stated three times, I believe that was this thread's first mention of Reid in comparison to McVay.

Unless I missed something, YOU started the discussion of the topic comparing the two head coaches.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
He and Snead are so good you are left confused when they make mistakes. Yet I couldn’t be happier with them running the organization even after a tough start

We have not had a better head coach in my time watching the Rams possibly because Dick Vermeil didn’t stay to finish the job. He will be in the hall of fame one day, the question is whether he gains first ballot status

Andy Reid is already a certain first ballot hall of famer

Last edited:

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Actually, it was last night (page 13 of this thread) when you posted the following:

As I have now stated three times, I believe that was this thread's first mention of Reid in comparison to McVay.

Unless I missed something, YOU started the discussion of the topic comparing the two head coaches.
I read as he was comparing McVay overall TODAY versus Reid overall TODAY.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Reid is more innovative, his offense seemingly has a new wrinkle or two every week. And it's not because of Mahommes either.
"Outside of the shooting Mrs Lincoln, what did you think of the show?"

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I read as he was comparing McVay overall TODAY versus Reid overall TODAY.
That's kind of like cherry picking though. McVay seems highly energized lately and possibly ready to coach for many years. Taking Reid's early years out of the equation is like comparing a pop warner player to a college player. You can say that Reid is better NOW. I don't know that there's that much of a question. But then some are saying Mahomes is not a big part of the reason. Come on. Seriously? Having probably the best QB in the game is not a big part of Reid's success? That's just silly. Ignoring how much better Reid's record is after getting his QB? Not a reasonable discussion.

I also think Spags has been a big part of that success. And Reid is damn lucky Spags shit the bed as a HC. That consistency has been huge for that team.

There are always going to be disputes as to who is the best coach in the league. Reid wasn't an option when we were hiring anyway. So of the viable options, McVay is heads and shoulders better than any other options. He's one of the top coaches in the NFL - period. All things being equal, I would take McVay over Reid. All we have to do is wait for all things to become equal. I'll choose not to hold my breath.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That's kind of like cherry picking though. McVay seems highly energized lately and possibly ready to coach for many years. Taking Reid's early years out of the equation is like comparing a pop warner player to a college player. You can say that Reid is better NOW. I don't know that there's that much of a question. But then some are saying Mahomes is not a big part of the reason. Come on. Seriously? Having probably the best QB in the game is not a big part of Reid's success? That's just silly. Ignoring how much better Reid's record is after getting his QB? Not a reasonable discussion.

I also think Spags has been a big part of that success. And Reid is damn lucky Spags shit the bed as a HC. That consistency has been huge for that team.

There are always going to be disputes as to who is the best coach in the league. Reid wasn't an option when we were hiring anyway. So of the viable options, McVay is heads and shoulders better than any other options. He's one of the top coaches in the NFL - period. All things being equal, I would take McVay over Reid. All we have to do is wait for all things to become equal. I'll choose not to hold my breath.
This is also a Rams board. So when someone comes at one of the greatest coaches in our history, when we are still in his window as head coach... They can expect to get some fucking flak for it.

There's a lot of fans posting in electronic Ramsdom trending towards fatigue of McVay being our head coach. You can't avoid that effect, it's a social dynamic. I think a lot of them are taking him for granted. So when I hear that BS it's not something I'm gonna walk on by and ignore.

Unfortunately there will come a day when he moves on. And when that happens hopefully Kroenke makes a great replacement hire. But for now I'm gonna just hope it's quite far into the future, as in maybe 3 to 4 years or more.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This is also a Rams board. So when someone comes at one of the greatest coaches in our history, when we are still in his window as head coach... They can expect to get some fucking flak for it.

There's a lot of fans posting in electronic Ramsdom trending towards fatigue of McVay being our head coach. You can't avoid that effect, it's a social dynamic. I think a lot of them are taking him for granted. So when I hear that BS it's not something I'm gonna walk on by and ignore.

Unfortunately there will come a day when he moves on. And when that happens hopefully Kroenke makes a great replacement hire. But for now I'm gonna just hope it's quite far into the future, as in maybe 3 to 4 years or more.

Don’t blink on Kevin Demoff when taking about The Rams next HC.I’m not going to jump on Mcvay’s back when The Rams are down.

Mcvay is the one who has to live with his legacy!! I’m actually excited to see how The Rams come out of all this.I want The Best of the 2024 Rams.IMO it’s a rebuilding year once again as SAD as that might be ? This team could still make The Playoffs & if the niners lost last night might have had a better chance.
—I’m not like you though blaming the 2024 defense.Mcvay had a chance to win 3 of the 4 loses.
3 loses pointing back at Sean Mcvay. How he handles it once again will show his character.My hope is he is who we thought he will be.

0311rams

RomandeacondikersonwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Name
Madrid311
He's working on the wrong end of w's and L's. He needs to turn it around. Expected way more than what we are seeing after the superbowl.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

So we’re is Bill Belacheat in any takes as the best ever ? Was that all the Brady effect ? Tomlinson has an excellent win lose record.Wish he beat Dallas Monday.

Thought Mcvay was going to be better.I drink the KOOL-AIDE & think The Rams might win The Super Bowl while watching the Detroit Game.They sure had the momentum.I’m not going to blame Mcvay for all the Rams did last season.There was a lot of luck as well.
—This season I blame Mcvay & that has NEVER been mo. I’ve believed & believe in him.Luck ran out and reality has set in. What happens happens.I’ll enjoy the season & development of certain Rams.