Sean McVay discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
How great was Andy Reid at 38 years old.
1728533207084.png

Toothsayer

Rookie
Name
Richard H Stee
OK ... their coaching records through their first seven seasons were similar, with one huge exception

Reid ... 70 wins and 42 losses ... 5 playoff appearances ... 1 Super Bowl (defeat)

McVay ... 70 wins and 45 losses ... 5 playoff appearances ... 2 Super Bowls, with 1 Lombardi Trophy

Sean McVay is 38. Andy Reid became a head coach at 41.

Reid got them to 3 NFCCGs in a row before they got to the SB . I liked McNabb, but the dude couldn't hit the proverbial barn door a lot of the time. All I get from the SB record is neither could beat Darth Hoodie & The Sith at the height of their powers without a special QB. It took Reid longer to get his.

Reid got Philly to a division title in '02 with back-up QBs in 6 regular season games. They went 5-1. He kept both the offense AND defense in/near the top 10 for points scored/allowed 5 years in a row.

McVay's teams either dazzle or sputter. I think a Reid-led team finds a way to win either that CHI or GB game.

It's like James Bond (McVay) vs Jason Bourne ( Reid). They are both badass, but one has needed his specialized weapons to be at his best.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's like James Bond (McVay) vs Jason Bourne ( Reid). They are both badass, but one has needed his specialized weapons to be at his best.
Again. There is no comparison between McVay and the Andy Reid of 28 years ago. When he was 38. That year would be 1998 and he was serving as a QB Coach and Asst HC for Green Bay.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Abd
Reid got them to 3 NFCCGs in a row before they got to the SB . I liked McNabb, but the dude couldn't hit the proverbial barn door a lot of the time. All I get from the SB record is neither could beat Darth Hoodie & The Sith at the height of their powers without a special QB. It took Reid longer to get his.

Reid got Philly to a division title in '02 with back-up QBs in 6 regular season games. They went 5-1. He kept both the offense AND defense in/near the top 10 for points scored/allowed 5 years in a row.

McVay's teams either dazzle or sputter. I think a Reid-led team finds a way to win either that CHI or GB game.

And in the early 2000's the NFC East kind of sucked ass. And many of those Eagles teams rode a great defense led by Jim Johnson.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the world of Andy Reid. You can tell he's a great dude, and one of the best head coaches ever. But claiming he would be winning games with this roster that McVay didn't win is some bukkake bullshit. As in taking high-fat Andy Reid money shots all over your face and rubbing that gravy all in yeah boy.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Does anyone here actually expect McVay to coach another 28 years? He damned near retired after the SB and again after the crap year after!
It may be likely that he retires when Stafford does so he won't have to start over with another QB.
I hope that isn't the case but it could be so comparing his career to Reid's is futile.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think the world of Andy Reid. You can tell he's a great dude, and one of the best head coaches ever. But claiming he would be winning games with this roster that McVay didn't win is some bukkake bullshit. As in taking high-fat Andy Reid money shots all over your face and rubbing that gravy all in yeah boy.
eric trump GIF by Our Cartoon President

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does anyone here actually expect McVay to coach another 28 years? He damned near retired after the SB and again after the crap year after!
It may be likely that he retires when Stafford does so he won't have to start over with another QB.
I hope that isn't the case but it could be so comparing his career to Reid's is futile.
No idea. But comparing the career of a coach who is 66 with the career of a coach who is only 38 is fucking retarded.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
... comparing his career to Reid's is futile.

But aren't YOU the one who initiated the discussion when YOU posted the following last night:
'I love McVay, but I think that Andy Reid has him beat overall."

Wasn't that post the first mention of Andy Reid, and the first comparison on this thread of Reid to McVay?

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
OK ... their coaching records through their first seven seasons were similar, with one huge exception

Reid ... 70 wins and 42 losses ... 5 playoff appearances ... 1 Super Bowl (defeat)

McVay ... 70 wins and 45 losses ... 5 playoff appearances ... 2 Super Bowls, with 1 Lombardi Trophy

Sean McVay is 38. Andy Reid became a head coach at 41.
I appreciate the perspective. McVay is still young and growing. I'd take his first 7 years over Reids.

I'd still ask though, as they are now, who is the better coach?

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I appreciate the perspective. McVay is still young and growing. I'd take his first 7 years over Reids.

I'd still ask though, as they are now, who is the better coach?

Whichever guy is coaching Patrick Mahomes.

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I’ve come to believe that McVay is not the playcalling Alpha in this league.
He’s certainly good at it, one of the better overall X’s and O’s guys around the league in terms of the passing game and scheming players open etc. I think there are better offensive minds around the league, young and old.

Where I believe he’s shown to be an Alpha is in leadership, motivation, managing a team and pretty much everything involved with being a HC of an entire roster and a coaching staff.
His handling of both veteran and young players is seamless. The way his teams respond to adversity is tremendous.

Culture building.
I don’t think anyone rivals McVay in this way except for maybe Tomlin.

He’s always referred to as the young offensive genius. I dare say he might be a little overrated there, but I don’t think he gets near enough credit for being a HC of an entire team.

Psycho_X

Legend
True, all though could have done without that metaphor bouncing around in my head.

Toothsayer

Rookie
Name
Richard H Stee
Again. There is no comparison between McVay and the Andy Reid of 28 years ago. When he was 38. That year would be 1998 and he was serving as a QB Coach and Asst HC for Green Bay.
There's no way to compare coaches at all that leads to a definitive conclusion, tbh. Too many variables. Particularly when you're talking about such successful coaches. No sensible fan would kick either out of bed for eating crackers. Although we all know who's more likely to be guilty of unsportsmanlike snacking. I'd bet Mrs McVay had him wash that gunk out of his hair before bed pretty early on, though. Never mess with a woman's matching linens.

If anything, age is a positive for a leadership role, imo. A willingness to collaborate, delegate, and take criticism are all traits I associate with experience more often than not. You can't credit McVay with being so successful at such a young age without wondering if being a cocky wunderkind nepo-baby coach had some bearing the shockingly quick collapse of relationships with Wade , Goff, and other less-reported-on but key ones like John Sullivan and , now, Ernest Jones.

There's a sweet spot in most successful men's lives between the arrogance of youth & the intransigence of geezerhood. McVay is probably just getting there now, imo.

Just my opinion, but if you don't agree, get off my lawn....
cringe-old-man.gif

Toothsayer

Rookie
Name
Richard H Stee
... I guess I am not really entirely following your thought process.

Do you mean ...
View attachment 67915 VS. View attachment 67918

OR, are we talking This Guy! ...

View attachment 67917
I don't care if he'd been cast to play Warner, I could never pick a Patsy fan like Damon for anything over Connery, much as I enjoy his work. At the risk of over-exciting Merlin, surely this is a more reasonable comparison, anyway:
images (2).jpeg

Timothy Dalton was more this guy, no ?
s-l400.jpg

ps One of these precious collector items can be had for $30 on eBay, if anyone needs one for hate-wank purposes....
Rammed indeed.....no lube, no roses, no kiss goodnight.

If I had to fight off pirates on a deserted island, a la Swiss Family Robinson, I'd take Bourne the book character over Bond, the book character.