Sammy Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think this will be the last I say on this, as I don't think I'm making much headway...

If the opponents are keying in on him... i.e. taking him out of the game, we'd want to throw it to him anyway?

I have not watched tapes on him... maybe if someone has for a few games, they can tell us... but...

My suspicion is that opponents are keying in on him... double teaming him... knocking him off his routes, etc.

If he was getting open, I'd really be surprised that Goff isn't finding him more often.

He isn't (finding him more often)... so I'm left to assume Watkins isn't getting open. But we're to throw to him anyway?

Look on the flip side... we play a top tier WR. Think Phillips won't game plan to take him out of the game? Of course he will.

Maybe this is on McVay... maybe there are better routes/plays he can devise for Watkins. But, as of now? Watkins doesn't seem to be able to get open on the pays he's given... I certainly wouldn't start throwing at him when he's not open.

One other note: It's not all bad that he isn't getting targeted... like I referenced, he's getting a lot of attention from the opponent, which opens things up for the others.

So, to me, he's not being wasted at all. A lot of fans here point out that Austin may be more of a value than you think because of his "decoy value".

Same thing with Watkins, IMO.
You're getting plenty of points across. We get that if he's not open then he shouldn't be thrown the ball. But, as you've said with tavon, if he's just a decoy then he isn't being looked at as a legitimate option. I've seen kupp and higbee targeted in plenty of plays where they weren't "open" but mcvay and Goff are making a clear effort to involve them. But I digress, maybe this will be a moot point and we'll either A- continue to score or B- get him the ball. Time will tell. Also, for the record, I have no complaints when the ball is being spread around efficiently (colts game, niners game, cowboys game).

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Actions speak louder than eords. I hate to say it, but it looked almost as if watkins was running at "practice" speed. Just hope he's not getting frustrated with lack of touches.

TRUST THE PROCESS BROTHA!

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams offense designed to have multiple options. Force feeding Watkins isn't going to happen. Having said that, one catch in 2 games is ridiculous.
I'd just like to see him being the "first option" more if that makes sense. We seemed to be targeting tight ends on go routes and kupp when he's covered by Sherman which seems way off to me.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Pretty sure Watkins is still trying to pick up the playbook. Doesn't matter how talented you are at the position, it's gonna take time to pick up the route tree and execute it in a second nature fashion to really produce

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well he made a cryptic tweet last night in response to Torry Holt Tweeting about how he had 0 catches in the game. Make of it what you will.

He did manage to clear it up say that Goff was his guy and that he loves being a ram, fwiw.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I could be misunderstanding some of you....i keep reading where Goff "forced" the ball in there?
They had no timeouts, about 30 yards to go and under 30 sec on the clock facing an elite defense defending that situation so yeah...balls are gonna need to be forced in there if you want to win the game no matter what.

Just sayin.
Kupp in triple coverage probably isn't the best read to force then, correct?

Ram65

Legend
I think this will be the last I say on this, as I don't think I'm making much headway...

If the opponents are keying in on him... i.e. taking him out of the game, we'd want to throw it to him anyway?

I have not watched tapes on him... maybe if someone has for a few games, they can tell us... but...

My suspicion is that opponents are keying in on him... double teaming him... knocking him off his routes, etc.

If he was getting open, I'd really be surprised that Goff isn't finding him more often.

He isn't (finding him more often)... so I'm left to assume Watkins isn't getting open. But we're to throw to him anyway?

Look on the flip side... we play a top tier WR. Think Phillips won't game plan to take him out of the game? Of course he will.

Maybe this is on McVay... maybe there are better routes/plays he can devise for Watkins. But, as of now? Watkins doesn't seem to be able to get open on the pays he's given... I certainly wouldn't start throwing at him when he's not open.

One other note: It's not all bad that he isn't getting targeted... like I referenced, he's getting a lot of attention from the opponent, which opens things up for the others.

So, to me, he's not being wasted at all. A lot of fans here point out that Austin may be more of a value than you think because of his "decoy value".

Same thing with Watkins, IMO.

I would think he is getting double coverage. I would like to see tape on Sammy running routes and the defenses he is seeing. They may have someone deep on his side and one underneath. I just don't know. Lot's of number 1 WR go against double coverage. Sometimes you have to let them make a play and or scheme to get him involved.

Maybe there's a slight miscommunication. I think what most of us are saying is that you bring in Watkins to change the game so give him the higher spot in the pecking order. I think there's a difference between forcing him the ball and scheming him the ball. When Goff drops back 50 times in a game, you'd hope that 5-8 of those have Sammy as the primary option and you'd hope that it would be on some quick slants, screens, options , and other routes. The 49ers game was a perfect example. They stayed within the flow of the offense but there was a clear motivation to get the ball to Sammy and it paid dividends.

I wrote something similar before the game. I think it was in the thread with the Sammy story about the Bills. The 49er game is a great example of plays for Sammy. He made that short down and out 6-8 yards for a first down look easy while adding 5 or so more of YAC. Like you said screen, slants and even short outs could be big plays. Considering Sammy's talent I would script a couple plays early to get him involved. That could set him later for the long ball and get him in the game.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wrote something similar before the game. I think it was in the thread with the Sammy story about the Bills. The 49er game is a great example of plays for Sammy. He made that short down and out 6-8 yards for a first down look easy while adding 5 or so more of YAC.
Just a guess here but...

Depending on how the opponent is defending the Rams, maybe they send Watkins deeper to open up the underneath for the others?

So, you might say... why doesn't someone else go deep and distract?
Guessing because he draws double coverage and/or more attention to stretch the defense?

Maybe the SF defense was such that they didn't need to keep the deep backs out there?

Interesting that it's only been the SF game where McVay and company adapted... again, maybe it's them taking what is given and not forcing what is not.

A55VA6

Legend
Past few weeks Sammy got open but wasn't thrown the ball... I think it's getting in his head that he won't get the ball because his routes yesterday were lazy. He would quit on the route towards the end.

Ram65

Legend
Just a guess here but...

Depending on how the opponent is defending the Rams, maybe they send Watkins deeper to open up the underneath for the others?

So, you might say... why doesn't someone else go deep and distract?
Guessing because he draws double coverage and/or more attention to stretch the defense?

Maybe the SF defense was such that they didn't need to keep the deep backs out there?

Interesting that it's only been the SF game where McVay and company adapted... again, maybe it's them taking what is given and not forcing what is not.

We are guessing without game tape. The long pass against the Whiners was double coverage. I imagine Watkins is opening things up for others underneath yet, they can't send him deep all the time. I doubt defenses are doing a blanket coverage with two defenders up on Sammy. If it's double coverage with a safety over the top then he only has to beat the up defender on a short down and out or quick slant. I was an advocate of not forcing the ball to Sammy when the subject came up before the Whiners game. Thinking it over and seeing how Sammy is a good hands big target and is hard to bring down I deferred to getting him some early targets to get him involved. Somehow I think McVay can do this without forcing it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While that’s definitely true I can’t really fault the guy he was double covered and haven’t received a target all game make that really the last two games. You have to give this guy more chances to make plays and be engaged in the offense. It’s the same with Gurley. At this point Watkins is a wasted player and we should have kept Gaines if he isn’t going to be a focal point of the passing offense

Watkins had already received two targets in the game to that point.

lockdnram21

Legend
Regardless, Sammy Watkins needs more targets. I'm not sure if he's just being double covered every play, but when the game is on the line, I want to see Jared at least take a shot with Sammy in the endzone. He's too talented to not have more opportunities to show his playmaking abilities.
He's not being doubled that much

Micah

UDFA
Name
Micah
He's not being doubled that much
I was listening to ESPN radio on the way to work and they were saying Watkins just isn't that good plain and simple. Not sure what you guys saw in him tbh. I mean Kupp is more of a number 1 guy IMO.

Ramzheart

Rookie
Well he made a cryptic tweet last night in response to Torry Holt Tweeting about how he had 0 catches in the game. Make of it what you will.

I was going to post this as well. He just said he's not upset with limited targets and he's not publicly complaining but what does this tweet say?!
Not happy, go to coach. Not smart when this is an audition not only for the Rams but the entire league.
You want the ball, be ready when it's thrown, simple as that! What would've Brady or Rodgers reaction have been if they thought Watkins had not given 100 percent.
Watkins is a stud and I hope things get on back on track. That Goff to Watkins bomb was a thing of beauty- think that was the niners game , right? I thought for sure it was on after that with those two!!

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do you think mcvay is maybe attacking the weakness of the oppsing D .. which is why certain players get targeted more ? .. good corners attack the LBers with the TE and skit guys ... shit run D pound gurley .. fast LBers go at the corners ... maybe just maybe that has something to do with all this

lockdnram21

Legend
I was listening to ESPN radio on the way to work and they were saying Watkins just isn't that good plain and simple. Not sure what you guys saw in him tbh. I mean Kupp is more of a number 1 guy IMO.
Your crazy.... Kupps getting covered by lbs and slot receivers...no where near a #1... Watkins is being misused

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Do you think mcvay is maybe attacking the weakness of the oppsing D .. which is why certain players get targeted more ? .. good corners attack the LBers with the TE and skit guys ... crap run D pound gurley .. fast LBers go at the corners ... maybe just maybe that has something to do with all this

Then shouldn't we have run more in the last game? I thought the chickens had a crap run D.