Sammy Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I just think it sucks!!!! that in yesterdays game, ONLY 1 Player caught all his Targets ( Brown 2 of 2) and ONLY one other caught more than Half his Targets (Woods 5 of 8) and that's out of 9 Players that had been Targeted!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Prime example though. After kupp dropped the touchdown Seattle is looking for him on the next play. They run the exact same route for him and Goff forces a difficult throw into coverage. It seems like kupp is being given the looks that Watkins should see, maybe?
I'd have to see the film on that... was Watkins even on the field that play (I honestly do not recall). Regardless, I did not like that pass anyway... like you said, forced. Goff seemed to force too many passes yesterday (and his rating reflects as much).

I may be mis-reading this but it seems some are advocating forcing the ball to Watkins because:
1] He's a superstar
2] He wants it
3] He's on his contract year and we want to re-sign him so give him targets

Like I said, maybe mis-reading this... I'm just not a fan of forcing any passes to a player.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Higbee shouldn't be leading the team in targets.

And why is that? If he's open and can catch the ball... that's all that matters to me.

Heck, if he gets open on 70% of the passes and catches most of them, then he would have earned the right to get targeted that much.

Granted, that's exaggeration but I think the point is still valid.

Just because your name is so-and-so and you whine and have a supposed "rep", you get the ball thrown to you anyway?

Earn it... get open and catch it when it comes your way.

BTW.. that catch by Higbee on that last drive? Yeah, if he could do that 20 times a game, give him 25 targets. But he would have to earn that attention.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd have to see the film on that... was Watkins even on the field that play (I honestly do not recall). Regardless, I did not like that pass anyway... like you said, forced. Goff seemed to force too many passes yesterday (and his rating reflects as much).

I may be mis-reading this but it seems some are advocating forcing the ball to Watkins because:
1] He's a superstar
2] He wants it
3] He's on his contract year and we want to re-sign him so give him targets

Like I said, maybe mis-reading this... I'm just not a fan of forcing any passes to a player.
Maybe there's a slight miscommunication. I think what most of us are saying is that you bring in Watkins to change the game so give him the higher spot in the pecking order. I think there's a difference between forcing him the ball and scheming him the ball. When Goff drops back 50 times in a game, you'd hope that 5-8 of those have Sammy as the primary option and you'd hope that it would be on some quick slants, screens, options , and other routes. The 49ers game was a perfect example. They stayed within the flow of the offense but there was a clear motivation to get the ball to Sammy and it paid dividends.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
F that! If I'm McVay and I hear anyone say that, he sits for minimum two games... I truly wouldn't care.

I definitely saw the one... and, like Goff said:

On the one I saw, looked like Watkins wasn't expecting to have the ball thrown to him?
I'd hate to overreact to this one game... as far as getting him more targets, guessing he's double teamed a lot, no? Yeah, an occasional jump ball... but forcing it to him just so he can be a "superstar"? F that! (sorry for the rant... can you tell I'm emotional about prima-donna wide receivers? :LOL:)

The Steelers offense has been struggling... I think I'd leave that model alone right now... take what is given you.

I agree... the entire offense seemed a bit out of whack... what was very smooth the weeks before seemed more clunky... multiple reasons for it, as we all know. Seemed unimaginative.
Hoping some of that creativity returns next week...

Yup... forcing the ball to players just because they're whining or want to be (or think they are) "superstars" is not sustainable IMO.
The Steelers offense is struggling because big Ben has gotten old and lost his fire. Let's not forget that this Steelers offense was among the top in the league for s five year stretch lol

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
Rams offense designed to have multiple options. Force feeding Watkins isn't going to happen. Having said that, one catch in 2 games is ridiculous.

Psycho_X

Legend
Well he made a cryptic tweet last night in response to Torry Holt Tweeting about how he had 0 catches in the game. Make of it what you will.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe there's a slight miscommunication. I think what most of us are saying is that you bring in Watkins to change the game so give him the higher spot in the pecking order. I think there's a difference between forcing him the ball and scheming him the ball. When Goff drops back 50 times in a game, you'd hope that 5-8 of those have Sammy as the primary option and you'd hope that it would be on some quick slants, screens, options , and other routes. The 49ers game was a perfect example. They stayed within the flow of the offense but there was a clear motivation to get the ball to Sammy and it paid dividends.
I think this will be the last I say on this, as I don't think I'm making much headway...

If the opponents are keying in on him... i.e. taking him out of the game, we'd want to throw it to him anyway?

I have not watched tapes on him... maybe if someone has for a few games, they can tell us... but...

My suspicion is that opponents are keying in on him... double teaming him... knocking him off his routes, etc.

If he was getting open, I'd really be surprised that Goff isn't finding him more often.

He isn't (finding him more often)... so I'm left to assume Watkins isn't getting open. But we're to throw to him anyway?

Look on the flip side... we play a top tier WR. Think Phillips won't game plan to take him out of the game? Of course he will.

Maybe this is on McVay... maybe there are better routes/plays he can devise for Watkins. But, as of now? Watkins doesn't seem to be able to get open on the pays he's given... I certainly wouldn't start throwing at him when he's not open.

One other note: It's not all bad that he isn't getting targeted... like I referenced, he's getting a lot of attention from the opponent, which opens things up for the others.

So, to me, he's not being wasted at all. A lot of fans here point out that Austin may be more of a value than you think because of his "decoy value".

Same thing with Watkins, IMO.

Memoriesdk

UDFA
Name
Memoriesdk
Watkins has retweeted several posts about him not getting the ball enough.
Here just a couple:

upload_2017-10-9_11-42-18.png

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
And why is that? If he's open and can catch the ball... that's all that matters to me.

Heck, if he gets open on 70% of the passes and catches most of them, then he would have earned the right to get targeted that much.
He's open for a reason....defenses take AWAY your best options....we need to find a way to get Watkins, Woods, and Gurley the targets.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's open for a reason....defenses take AWAY your best options....we need to find a way to get Watkins, Woods, and Gurley the targets.
Exactly!!

Take what they give you until they take it away... then find what they gave up (maybe it's Watkins).

Right now, they're taking away Watkins.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Two games in a row of under use in a contract year - I can understand the frusteration.

He needs to be targeted - and not just on home runs balls. I know we only have one ball and a lot of weapons - but they need to be more consious about getting our best players the ball.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I could be misunderstanding some of you....i keep reading where Goff "forced" the ball in there?
They had no timeouts, about 30 yards to go and under 30 sec on the clock facing an elite defense defending that situation so yeah...balls are gonna need to be forced in there if you want to win the game no matter what.

Just sayin.

Flint

Pro Bowler
I think they should make more of an effort to get him touches where he has the advantage. I was watching Chiefs/Texans and both teams made sure they got their playmakers involved as the first option, and not a 30 yd pass play either. Sammy can take the top off but he can also turn a 5 yd slant into a 50 yd play.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Why is everyone saying to give the ball more to Watkins when in fact he let at least two big opportunities go due to lack of effort in the last game.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
FYI his twitter responses are super cool and seems like a team player to me.