Sammy Watkins to the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
EJ Gaines proved to be a miracle as a sixth round draft pick in 2014 as a rookie when we really needed him.

That AT LEAST makes him a proven commodity which means he already has a CHANCE to be better than 50% of the CBs in the league.

Count him out if you want but he has shown starter quality in coverage before.

I hear you 100% my Ram Brother, we might differ on the nuances but i know we both want a winning football team. I dont want to count him out, i just thought his time with Rams had come. I hope he does well in Buffalo.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Sorry if someone already pointed this out, but Buffalo moved up to #4 from #9 in a trade with Cleveland to get Sammy, and gave up their 2015 #1 and #4 picks to do so. Heavy price. They really wanted Watkins.

In the good news/bad news category that year, of course, we took Grob at #2, but scored with AD at #13!

We could have just taken Sammy at #2, and saved a lot of trouble...(n) ..maybe...

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
More I think of it, this is an upgraded version of what the team really wanted their top 4 WRs to be:

Sammy Watkins = upgraded Kenny Britt

Robert Woods = upgraded Stedman Bailey

Tavon Austin = well himself

Cooper Kupp = upgraded Brian Quick

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
^ this, exciting time to not only be a Rams fan, here on ROD sworned in, but fuckin a we have some 2 legit to quit Wide Receivers, emphasis on plural. Finally!

Except Kupp is an upgraded Wes Welker.

Ram65

Legend
It would be great if they had a deal in place for Watkins. Hard to figure out what to pay him with injury history. Sammy feels good so he spins the wheel and waits till next year and become a free agent. A nice two year extension would be good for both parties. Not likely I guess.

Lot's of one year rentals in today's NFL. It's an exciting trade either way it ends up. Rams get a #1 WR and the WR group become a strength instead of a question mark.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Cooper Kupp = upgraded Brian Quick

I hope you mean that in terms of football skills, because Quick is certainly the superior athlete over Kupp but Kupp is definitely a better football player overall.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Love this Bruce Arians pic from that thread. First time today I LOL'd. Thanks!!!
Found Arians little league photo.
28DwMTy.jpg

乇乂ㄒ尺卂 ㄒ卄丨匚匚

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
FYI
Watkins (ankle) took part in 11-on-11 drills during the Bills' practice Monday, Mike Rodak of ESPN.com reports. (about 4 days ago)

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Boy, if you want to get depressed just try to find positive information about the trade today for Sammy Watkins. We need to win so badly to shut their mouths. Bill Barnwell at ESPN can just die, as far as I'm concerned.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't forget Watkins has to want to sign for the team after this year unless we franchise him then that's another problem, TBH Austin cap hit next year really doesn't effect much in the terms of who they plan on re-signing next year. That's why I don't get all this Austin is gone let us play out this year see how everything comes together first because in my eyes this move just made Austin a lot more valuable

probably because people see $14m and that's all that registers. the rest of the contract is about $8m per year.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

nah, he talked up sammy for months before the draft. wouldn't listen to reason that fisher would not pick him then threw a fit when they picked grob.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

ah man, i just read through this whole thread. fuck it was funny. i don't think i've laughed so much for a long time.

thanks guys.

jap

Legend
Goff is gonna shut a lot of people up this year.

No, he won't, unfortunately. The media guys have long mastered the craft of shifting their stupid arguments even when proof of their idiocy is obvious. I just tend to ignore them for the overwhelming part - filtering out the real facts and leaving their stupid opinions in the toilet where they belong.

FRO

Legend
No, he won't, unfortunately. The media guys have long mastered the craft of shifting their stupid arguments even when proof of their idiocy is obvious. I just tend to ignore them for the overwhelming part - filtering out the real facts and leaving their stupid opinions in the toilet where they belong.
Amen brother. It's funny how the media operates. Tuning them out is the only way to go. Otherwise it'll just drive you insane.

This trade makes Goff's life much easier. It also increases the pressure on him. He needs to have a good season. I think the Watkins trade should push this team into playoff territory.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
They must like what they see from Hill and Jordan im guessing

Gaines is more of a zone corner. He isn't a scheme fit for the Rams

When Trumaine Johnson leaves at the end of the season we're screwed...LOL It's tough to find a decent cornerback.

Phillips is good at evaluating corners. Want to take a wager on what the Rams first round pick will be next year?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I need time to process this.
Initial thoughts are...
-Watkins is hurt too much and seemingly dinged up constantly, same as EJ Gaines.
-A healthy Watkins is far more valuable to us than a healthy Gaines.
-We swapped a 2nd for a 6th.

No. If you had to separate it then the trade was Watkins for a 2nd round pick and a 6th round pick for Gaines. I think it is somewhere in between though when you combine them.

Exactly why I don't buy current jerseys.

I'm not sure about this trade.
I get the logic... i.e. try and get a number 1 WR.... but...
Sammy's health is suspect...and more importantly, he's entering a contract year where he will be an unrestricted FA this coming March. How are the Rams going to work that out? They are still in the middle of the AD and Tru negotiations etc.

Not saying it cant work beyond this year, just that it seems problematic given the Rams current position.

Watkins had surgery on his foot. He played then had some follow up surgery. Should be good to go. With a former Bills' medical staffer on the Rams now, I imagine they asked him.