Sam Sloman Appreciation Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

for fucks sake, gz didn't kick it out of the endzone plenty of times. multiple times in games as well.

what is it with people and this kicker? he looks like any other kicker.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He was 3 for 4 in 2nd half touchbacks, 4/6 overall in the game. That's hardly terrible
It's the leg strength my man. I've seen enough of that to make me concerned. Which is why I hope the short kickoffs were called that way because if not he's looking like a marginal kicker.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's the leg strength my man. I've seen enough of that to make me concerned. Which is why I hope the short kickoffs were called that way because if not he's looking like a marginal kicker.
He had 4 touchbacks. His leg is strong enough. When they needed him to kick it deep in the 2nd half, he did

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Zuerlein would've had trouble hitting a 53 yarder into the wind. The kickoffs are concerning, but one kick into the wind does not make a career.
I wish it was just one kick into the wind but he missed that 29 yarder in that close game with the Cowboys and that was in doors.

It's also those short kickoffs that allow for a return which could really bite us in the ass worse than it did the other day.

Here's hoping he improves greatly.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
No problem discussing the kicker but he is not the biggest issue by far on this team.

The Rams probably liked his accuracy and rolled the dice with him. If he doesn't work out it is not like there is a single great alternative on the street so they are not missing out on anybody. Just a bunch of clones with the same ability.

In my book he hasn't cost us a game yet.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
I was not there for every kick in training camp.

I can be patient to a point and see nothing to think this was not the best choice.

GZ could be great but not without issues.

So far comparing the two this season it is a push from my seat.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Part of the problem, is we had the literal best CFL kicker of all time on our team in training camp, and we cut him for this guy. So far, he's done very little, if anything to inspire confidence.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Is it me or when I was younger (unfortunately quite a while ago now) and was watching the NFL didn’t kickers just seem to make pretty much all the kicks? It was a surprise when one missed? You stick Redzone on these days and the kicks are all over the gaff. Misses galore.
It’s established fact that kickers are more accurate than they were 30 years ago. Misses make highlight reels more often because our expectations are so high.

Also, extra points aren’t 19 yard gimmes anymore, and attempts from 50 to 56 yards aren’t outliers, they have become commonplace.

Edit: I looked it up, and kickers have gotten WAY better over the years:

“In 1960, kickers hit 56.0 percent of their field goals. In 1970, it was 59.4 percent; in 1980, it was 63.6 percent; in 1990, it was 74.4 percent; in 2000, it was 79.7 percent. In 2018, it was 84.7 percent.“

Last edited:

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Part of the problem, is we had the literal best CFL kicker of all time on our team in training camp, and we cut him for this guy. So far, he's done very little, if anything to inspire confidence.

Meh........

Why is he not on another team if he is the "best of all time"?

You have to admit thats a good point.

Lirim Hajrullahu was hardly the best kicker in CFL history. Of the 9 kickers from 2019, Hajrullahu ranks 7th in career success (83.3%) and 7th in success rate for the 2019 season (85.5%). There are some good kickers playing up north.

I was very happy to see a CFL kicker get an opportunity to make it in the NFL.

When the 2020 CFL season was declared over due to COVID, 3 other CFL kickers opted out of their contracts and are available to the NFL. I would consider a couple of those kickers over Lirim Hajrullahu.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Lirim Hajrullahu was hardly the best kicker in CFL history. Of the 9 kickers from 2019, Hajrullahu ranks 7th in career success (83.3%) and 7th in success rate for the 2019 season (85.5%). There are some good kickers playing up north.

I was very happy to see a CFL kicker get an opportunity to make it in the NFL.

When the 2020 CFL season was declared over due to COVID, 3 other CFL kickers opted out of their contracts and are available to the NFL. I would consider a couple of those kickers over Lirim Hajrullahu.

Cherry picking stats. Whatever makes you feel better.