Sam Sloman Appreciation Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
At least Ficken could put it out of the end zone consistently,

into the wind and everything! :sneaky:

He's kicking for the Jets now.
Ficken is 4 for 9 on kickoffs for Touchback, 44.4%
Sloman is 11 for 18, 61.1%

Psycho_X

Legend

Was gonna say, the one thing that stood out about Ficken was he was decent under 40 yards but his leg was subject at best and struggled greatly beyond 45 yards and his kickoffs rarely went into the endzone when with us.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
He should get plenty of action next week because we should get plenty of TD's against the Giants and a few field goal chances.
We've had a hectic start to the season and this is one game we need for Sloman, and the team, to sort some stuff out.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't want to dump on a rook here but again I think Sloman's job and roster spot are in jeopardy. McVay is more patient than some other coaches, but right now he needs to be thinking about making a move.

Sloman needs to get his shit together. We're not a Fisher type team. A McVay team expects to contend. If he doesn't don't think McVay is above making a change.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Fine, but I'm preparing the nails.

Fair enough. I'm a little concerned about his kickoffs, but the 53 yard field goal attempt is tough because he's kicking into the wind. I just hope he doesn't lose his confidence like Aguayo did.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Interesting, but I don't recall Ficken NOT kicking one into the end zone when he was with us.

A lot of times it has to do with the height of the kick-off as well.

Those line drives from Sloman might be part of the problem there.
I'm not impressed with Sloman so far, especially considering how well we did drafting Zuerlein late as well.

Maybe I'm spoiled, I don't know.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
There were so many reasons not to even attempt that 53 yard FG.

1) His range is unknown at this point.
2) Into the wind
3) The defense can not be trusted on a short field.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
There were so many reasons not to even attempt that 53 yard FG.

1) His range is unknown at this point.
2) Into the wind
3) The defense can not be trusted on a short field.
I was surprised when I saw them set up for that field goal.

I thought we could do a nice coffin corner and pin them down inside the five.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
When with the Rams, Ficken was 3 of 6 on FG’s and 14/15 on PAT (shorter back then). I remember not having confidence in him then.

Haven’t seen him of late.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is it me or when I was younger (unfortunately quite a while ago now) and was watching the NFL didn’t kickers just seem to make pretty much all the kicks? It was a surprise when one missed? You stick Redzone on these days and the kicks are all over the gaff. Misses galore.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Is it me or when I was younger (unfortunately quite a while ago now) and was watching the NFL didn’t kickers just seem to make pretty much all the kicks? It was a surprise when one missed?
I'm telling you we've all been spoiled by Greg's Zuerlines amazing abilities.

Psycho_X

Legend
Is it me or when I was younger (unfortunately quite a while ago now) and was watching the NFL didn’t kickers just seem to make pretty much all the kicks? It was a surprise when one missed? You stick Redzone on these days and the kicks are all over the gaff. Misses galore.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting, but I don't recall Ficken NOT kicking one into the end zone when he was with us.

A lot of times it has to do with the height of the kick-off as well.

Those line drives from Sloman might be part of the problem there.
I'm not impressed with Sloman so far, especially considering how well we did drafting Zuerlein late as well.

Maybe I'm spoiled, I don't know.
You are definitely spoiled. We all are with all phases of special teams. This season we're getting a dose of reality.

And if we're comparing our kicker to Ficken well that's not good. He's marginal at best in his leg strength and iffy with his accuracy. When you spend a pick on a kicker you do that to ensure you have a guy with a plus leg and all the tools. Rams had some choices when they took Sloman and to date have been careful with him to avoid the long field goal situations but we saw his leg yesterday and it looked a lot like the kickoffs.

The only thing I like about Sloman is the way his ball travels. It's really nice not to see the ball torqueing all over the place like GZ had. But the raw leg power right now is something I question. And maybe it's there and it's a consistency prob in how he's hitting it. I have no idea, and I'm not knowledgeable with kickers admittedly.

But I do know what a good kicker looks like and it ain't Sammy Sloman. Least not the guy we've seen so far.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
You are definitely spoiled. We all are with all phases of special teams. This season we're getting a dose of reality.

And if we're comparing our kicker to Ficken well that's not good. He's marginal at best in his leg strength and iffy with his accuracy. When you spend a pick on a kicker you do that to ensure you have a guy with a plus leg and all the tools. Rams had some choices when they took Sloman and to date have been careful with him to avoid the long field goal situations but we saw his leg yesterday and it looked a lot like the kickoffs.

The only thing I like about Sloman is the way his ball travels. It's really nice not to see the ball torqueing all over the place like GZ had. But the raw leg power right now is something I question. And maybe it's there and it's a consistency prob in how he's hitting it. I have no idea, and I'm not knowledgeable with kickers admittedly.

But I do know what a good kicker looks like and it ain't Sammy Sloman. Least not the guy we've seen so far.

Zuerlein would've had trouble hitting a 53 yarder into the wind. The kickoffs are concerning, but one kick into the wind does not make a career.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Zuerlein would've had trouble hitting a 53 yarder into the wind. The kickoffs are concerning, but one kick into the wind does not make a career.
No of course not. But we do have short kickoffs too. There's enough there to worry about IMO.

I hope that at least some of those short kickoffs are by design. But even that is concerning irt our ST coach if that's the case. Just about everything to do with Bonamego is subpar thus far.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When with the Rams, Ficken was 3 of 6 on FG’s and 14/15 on PAT (shorter back then). I remember not having confidence in him then.

Haven’t seen him of late.
He's with the Jets right now.
Which is like, worse than being out of football all together

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No of course not. But we do have short kickoffs too. There's enough there to worry about IMO.

I hope that at least some of those short kickoffs are by design. But even that is concerning irt our ST coach if that's the case. Just about everything to do with Bonamego is subpar thus far.
He was 3 for 4 in 2nd half touchbacks, 4/6 overall in the game. That's hardly terrible