Sam Farmer: Draft analysts favor Carson Wentz as Los Angeles Rams' pick at top of draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
In the 80's, The Only ET "A" school was in Great Lakes....I went to my "C" schools at Mare Island near Vallejo

I did B/EE in Great Lakes (boot camp as well), but was in San Diego for STS A and C schools.

Nuke Field ET A school used to be at NTC Orlando, FL.

Thank the Lord I didn't end up doing boot at Great Mistakes ...er, Great Lakes. Everything I heard about that place was shudderingly bad.

You are so right. I was there for basic in Nov-Dec. 82 and then B/EE from Jan.-Mar. 83 ... as bad as you heard is sucks, it's probably worse.

What no "sea showers" for you? I was stationed on a USCG icebreaker in the mid '80s and we had an evap' but still were supposed to do the quick- lather-rinse-do not repeat

We were supposed to, but ST's had a notorious reputation for using hot water, so I figured I'd live up to it :))

Ok, hijacking over, back to football on this thread ...

I'm aligning myself with Charles Davis' comments:

Wentz will fit like a glove into into Jeff Fisher's offense
I have had Jared Goff rated slightly higher than Carson Wentz throughout the run up to the draft. But when it comes to who should the Rams take with the No. 1 overall pick, I believe they should select Carson Wentz. To me, he would fit nicely with what Los Angeles wants to do on offense given head coach Jeff Fisher's background -- run the ball, hit big plays off of play action, and pair that philosophy with a stout defense already in place. Wentz's background at North Dakota State saw him handling line calls, adjustments and audibles in the run and pass game, and operating a lot of offense from under center, in the pistol and shot gun. His ability to read fronts and control the run game would be valuable.

As an added bonus, his athleticism and comfort running the ball will really come in handy. The possibility of his escaping out the backdoor will help tamp down pressure packages focused solely on stopping Pro Bowl RBTodd Gurley, and Wentz's sturdy 6-foot-5, 237-pound frame allows him a great chance to hold up well as a runner.

Finally, with the heavy focus and commitment to running the football, the plan would be for Wentz to be able to throw the ball against easier coverages and in more favorable situations. That would allow him to break into and acclimate to the league quicker, as well as develop without being hit so often early in his career when trying to pass.

This formula worked well for Ben Roethlisberger and Russell Wilson as rookies. I think that Carson Wentz would find it agreeable, too.

That's where I'm at as well. Many say Goff will get up to speed in the professional ranks quicker, and that is probably true with MOST teams. But focusing on the Rams, our offensive style, and our coaching staff's strengths and weaknesses, and the player's background, I think Wentz would actually be up to speed quicker than Goff on this particular team. Goff, I believe, would be an ideal fit for Cleveland and Hue Jackson's offense.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nuke Field ET A school used to be at NTC Orlando, FL.

Thank the Lord I didn't end up doing boot at Great Mistakes ...er, Great Lakes. Everything I heard about that place was shudderingly bad.
Think of all of the stories you can't tell! I went Bootcamp in Great Lakes...Then BEE, ET "A" (Both Nuke and Comm side). Went to BC in January of 1983, and left for California in March of 1984..ha!

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gurley was somewhat of a surprise? Many thought the Rams would trade up for Austin? I don't recall any of that.
Gurley was a surprise, but there was heavy speculation that the Rams would trade up for Austin, especially two days before the draft.. I was sitting there watching and saying to my wife, I hope they don't trade up, Austin is too small, wait and get Hopkins and save a pick. Then the trade was announced and the rest is history.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I lost my mind when we got Austin. Wanted him so badly...

That would explain a lot, huh?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Gurley was somewhat of a surprise? Many thought the Rams would trade up for Austin? I don't recall any of that.

Gurley was not talked about to the Rams until about 3/4 days before the draft. They didn't have any connections to him.

The Tavon trade up rumors were there for a while before draft. No surprise when they made the move.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Some of us talked about it as a "this would be great, but he won't trade up for him and we can't see Snisher taking him with other needs, but WOW, he's BPA no doubt"

Then it happened, and I know I looked at my victory chips and said, "Mission Accomplished!"