Sam Farmer: Draft analysts favor Carson Wentz as Los Angeles Rams' pick at top of draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Most evaluators I don't give two craps about.

Two I do? Greg Cosell and Mike Mayock who really delve a ton into the film.

BOTH are super high on Wentz and both have said the Luck comparison is fair and legit.

If that's right (and I think it's fair), then this Rams team is about to DOMINATE.

Presuming we take him...

Yes when Cosell speaks people SHOULD LISTEN.

I agree on Mayock, I too respect his opinion

RamzFanz

Damnit
Football is a game of disguise and misdirection, so fittingly theRams aren't disclosing which quarterback they'll select with the No. 1 pick in this month's draft, Cal's Jared Goff or North Dakota State's Carson Wentz.

This much is known: They'll take a quarterback, not surprising considering the hefty price tag required to make the unprecedented move from No. 15 to No. 1.

These are contradictory sentences. It's assumed they will take a QB and so that, in itself, would be the perfect smoke and mirror. It's the ultimate wrench in the works.

I'm not selling that they won't, but I also won't be shocked if they don't.

Well, yes, I will, but then I will tell myself I should have known I didn't know anything about the minds of Snisher. They do what the fuck they want.

Gurley, Austin, Robinson...who saw that?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What great QB's in recent memory run?

That's why we draft RBs.

I think the distinction is he's a qb that can run, not a running qb. Think big Ben, wussell Wilson, luck, arod. Not the krapper or rgme.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gurley, Austin, Robinson...who saw that?

Gurely was somewhat of a surprise, however, many predicted Austin (even with the trade up) & Robinson especially Robinson because Rams needed a LT and he was from Auburn so that was easy. Rams will take a QB I really don't think there is any debate and in the end there was no debate about the QB they will be taking either....They fell hard for one of the two and that is why they did all they could to ensure they secured his services and don't have to sit and wait to see if the another team takes him.
carson-wentz-022516-usnews-ftr_11hg0vi2pcelw1w06u4zg4q0vb.jpg

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Again Gentlemen....Big QB that can run from a small school and a top notch RB...Connect the Dots!
I think you're right Den. I mean you can make a case for it being Goff ... but I always come back to it will be Wentz. He just fits the Fisher mold better.

Guys ... .this team has a LOT going against it this next season. The move. All the "temporary this/temporary that". 35,000+ miles of game travel. Hard Knocks. Third hardest schedule in the entire NFL now add a rookie QB on top of it. don't be surprised one bit if #1 pick be damn, Fisher sits him awhile. Brings him along a bit slowly to ensure he doesn't get a bad head job early in his career.

I am truly excited now for the future .. .but my expectations for the upcoming season are definitely "tamed".

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think you're right Den. I mean you can make a case for it being Goff ... but I always come back to it will be Wentz. He just fits the Fisher mold better.

Guys ... .this team has a LOT going against it this next season. The move. All the "temporary this/temporary that". 35,000+ miles of game travel. Hard Knocks. Third hardest schedule in the entire NFL now add a rookie QB on top of it. don't be surprised one bit if #1 pick be damn, Fisher sits him awhile. Brings him along a bit slowly to ensure he doesn't get a bad head job early in his career.
Funny @ReddingRam you actually make a case for Goff because being California's native son, he knows how to get around the State unlike Wentz who is from North Dakota.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
It's possible Wentz reaches big time potential with all those tools but selling the farm for a small school projection is a recipe for sinking a franchise for another 5-10 years.

I will root for Wentz if we pick him but it's scary to think how easily he could struggle vs NFL level competition.

I take Goff the safe pick. I'm with Kurt Warner on this. It's a no brainier.
I watched a lot of Wentz these past two yrs .... or ... NDSU I should say. I have really become intrigued about how good they were in the FCS (which btw is still Div.I football, not Div.II like a lot of analysts are calling it). And Although I wasn't keying in on Wentz as a target for the Rams, I did always come away impressed on how he ran the offense. He DOES have tons of skill. He can throw ANY ball you want. He has zip, touch, downfield strength, body control. His running ability is also very good. Where he is going to need time is reading the more complex defenses and adjusting to the speed of the NFL game. I don't see any reason he can't become what many say he can ... as long as his confidence is broke early. I'm not saying he needs 3 yrs on the bench ... but half a season maybe ..... I don't think it would hurt.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Funny @ReddingRam you actually make a case for Goff because being California's native son, he knows how to get around the State unlike Wentz who is from North Dakota.
LOL .. .getting around this state is NOT hard. We basically have 4 Hwy's that run right straight North to South. It's L.A. itself that can be a challenge ... and Goff is NOT a SoCal kid. He would have an easier time in the Bay Area ;)

nighttrain

Legend
Wentz is a project, this team needs a QB ready to play, ie Goff, and when has Fisher ever developed a QB in recdent history
train

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Charles Davis says it here exactly how I see the fit:
"Wentz will fit like a glove into into Jeff Fisher's offense
I have had Jared Goff rated slightly higher than Carson Wentz throughout the run up to the draft. But when it comes to who should the Rams take with the No. 1 overall pick, I believe they should select Carson Wentz. To me, he would fit nicely with what Los Angeles wants to do on offense given head coach Jeff Fisher's background -- run the ball, hit big plays off of play action, and pair that philosophy with a stout defense already in place. Wentz's background at North Dakota State saw him handling line calls, adjustments and audibles in the run and pass game, and operating a lot of offense from under center, in the pistol and shot gun. His ability to read fronts and control the run game would be valuable.

As an added bonus, his athleticism and comfort running the ball will really come in handy. The possibility of his escaping out the backdoor will help tamp down pressure packages focused solely on stopping Pro Bowl RB Todd Gurley, and Wentz's sturdy 6-foot-5, 237-pound frame allows him a great chance to hold up well as a runner.

Finally, with the heavy focus and commitment to running the football, the plan would be for Wentz to be able to throw the ball against easier coverages and in more favorable situations. That would allow him to break into and acclimate to the league quicker, as well as develop without being hit so often early in his career when trying to pass.

This formula worked well for Ben Roethlisberger and Russell Wilson as rookies. I think that Carson Wentz would find it agreeable, too."

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This^ piece has me convinced, even more than I already was, that " Wentz" IS the Pick!! JMHO

Well then what has this piece done for you?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ing-carson-wentz-now-that-they-have-top-pick/

Now that they own the first pick in the 2016 NFL Draft, the Rams can have any quarterback they want.

And they seem to have a preference.

According to Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times, the Rams are “targeting“North Dakota State’s Carson Wentz in making the deal with the Titans for the top pick.

While Cal’s Jared Goff is considered by many a more turn-key player, Wentz may have more potential.

If nothing else, Hollywood loves a good story, and dropping a kid from an FCS school who was born in Bismarck into the middle of the league’s return to Los Angeles will be a good one.

We’ll find out if it’s the right one, but Case Keenum’s hold on that starting job was tenuous anyway.

UPDATE 10:00 a.m. ET: Farmer has followed up by saying Goff is “still heavily in the mix,” and the Rams are “leaning” Wentz.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
For the record. I believe it is Goff. The only reason is that the Rams wanted to jump the Browns to get their QB and Goff was rumored as the QB the Browns liked most.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The trade between the Tennessee Titans and Los Angeles Rams has a major impact on the Cleveland Browns draft plans.

jimmy-haslam-hue-jackson-nfl-cleveland-browns-press-conference-850x560.jpg

A new coach, a new GM, and a new quarterback in Cleveland. Stop me if you’ve heard this before, but this was supposed to be the Cleveland Browns best chance to compete since 2007. They were finally going to get their quarterback of the future, and climb out of the basement of the AFC North.

And all that changed Thursday morning.

The Tennessee Titans, who didn’t need a quarterback, traded the first overall pick (along with a 2016 fourth and a sixth rounder) to the Los Angeles Rams for two firsts, two seconds, and two thirds in total. With the move, the new-look Rams are most certainly going to draft a quarterback, which drastically limits the Browns.

Since returning to the NFL in 1999, the Browns have had 24 quarterbacks line up under center. However, only once have the Browns been able to select the draft’s first signal caller once: Tim Couch in ’99. Since then, Spurgeon Wynn was sixth in 2000, Luke McCown sixth in 2004, Charlie Frye sixth in 2005, Brady Quinn second in 2007, Colt McCoy fourth in 2010, Brandon Weeden fourth in 2012, and Johnny Manziel second in 2014.

This trade hurts the Browns so terribly because it takes away any chance of choice for the team desperate for a quarterback. There are only two passers that could be debated worthy of the second-overall choice: Carson Wentz from North Dakota State and Jared Goff out of Cal. Before the trade, Cleveland was certain to have their choice between the two, since there was zero chance the Titans would draft a QB after taking Marcus Mariota the year before.

But now with the Rams leapfrogging the Browns all the way up from 15th overall, Cleveland is at the Rams mercy. If for whatever reason head coach Hue Jackson and GM Sashi Brown don’t view the quarterback Los Angeles doesn’t take as a viable fit in their system, they’re stuck with the difficult decision to try to fit a square peg into a round hole, or pass on a QB until later, and face a significant drop in talent.

If the Browns decide not to draft a QB, they do still have options available. They could trade the pick to someone else, or have their pick of the top defensive prospects like safety Jalen Ramsey or Joey Bosa, or possibly the top offensive lineman in Laremy Tunsil, but for a city and a team that desperately needs a new face to their franchise, the move by the Rams has to be disheartening.

http://withthefirstpick.com/2016/04/16/titans-rams-trade-throws-wrench-in-clevelandbrowns-plans/

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think the plan when trading all along was for Wentz. That said, like with the Colts in 1998 who ground tape in Manning and Leaf right up until the end, I think the Rams will grind tape on both right up until the end.

I just hope they don't psych themselves out because two weeks is enough time to make yourself silly.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Gurely was somewhat of a surprise, however, many predicted Austin (even with the trade up) & Robinson especially Robinson because Rams needed a LT and he was from Auburn so that was easy. Rams will take a QB I really don't think there is any debate and in the end there was no debate about the QB they will be taking either....They fell hard for one of the two and that is why they did all they could to ensure they secured his services and don't have to sit and wait to see if the another team takes him.

Gurley was somewhat of a surprise? Many thought the Rams would trade up for Austin? I don't recall any of that.