Sam Farmer: Draft analysts favor Carson Wentz as Los Angeles Rams' pick at top of draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Sam FarmerContact Reporter

Football is a game of disguise and misdirection, so fittingly theRams aren't disclosing which quarterback they'll select with the No. 1 pick in this month's draft, Cal's Jared Goff or North Dakota State's Carson Wentz.

This much is known: They'll take a quarterback, not surprising considering the hefty price tag required to make the unprecedented move from No. 15 to No. 1.

The Rams had private workouts with both players and it's highly improbable the team hasn't zeroed in on one. As General Manager Les Snead said Thursday in a news conference formally announcing the trade with the Tennessee Titans, "the hay is in the barn" in terms of scouting the quarterbacks. An interesting wrinkle is that both players are represented by agent Bruce Tollner, son of former USC football coach Ted Tollner.

Rams are going all in for a quarterback. Will that No. 1 draft pick pay off?

While the Rams have praised both players and caution against assuming that either is out of the running, some outside experts see the choice as clear: It's Wentz who should wind up in L.A.

NFL Network draft analyst. "So in my mind, it has to be Wentz — it's not even a question — and I think it's the intangibles that sold [Rams Coach] Jeff Fisher and Les Snead, on top of the physical stuff."

Mayock said he was impressed when studying video of Goff after the season and initially thought he was the best quarterback prospect in the class. He changed his mind, though, after watching tape of Wentz.

"At that point, I had never heard of Carson Wentz," Mayock said. "He was just a name on a quarterback list. I put in his tape against Northern Iowa and when I got done with it I was like, 'Wow, I hope the next one is just as good, because this was kind of special.' And the next one was just as good if not better, as was the next one."

See the most-read stories in Sports this hour >>
But there wasn't a large body of work from Wentz's 2015 season because he sat out eight games because of a broken wrist. He shined at the Senior Bowl, however, and Mayock said he was clearly the best quarterback there.

Mayock said he was sold on Wentz after attending his pro day in Fargo, N.D.

"I watched him interact with his offensive linemen in the locker room," he said. "They were giving him a hard time, teasing him, 'You're a celebrity. You're not one of us anymore.' He was handling it beautifully, having fun with his guys. The head coach, the offensive coordinator, the quarterback coach, all three of them reiterated how much he controlled the line of scrimmage, the fact that he never got less than an 'A' in school. His work ethic is off the charts."

Another draft expert, Greg Cosell, said that taking the 6-foot-5, 237-pound Wentz over Goff would be a "no-brainer." The former Cal quarterback is an inch shorter and, at 215 pounds, more angular.

Andrew Luck. The reason people struggled with that for so long, and they still struggle with it, is because of the level of competition [at FCS North Dakota State].

"He can make every kind of throw, whether it involves power and velocity or pace and touch. He played in a very multiple system in college, in which he called the protections at the line of scrimmage."

Cris Collinsworth, color analyst on NBC's Sunday Night Football, raised eyebrows last month when, in his first-ever mock draft, he predicted that the Rams would trade all the way up to make Wentz the top pick.

Rams can bring more star power to L.A. with a franchise quarterback

He took a drubbing on Twitter for making what many people viewed as a ludicrous projection — then sat back and watched that precise scenario unfold, or at least the trade part of it.

Collinsworth too believes that the Rams will take Wentz.

"When you put the tape of Wentz on, the first thing that jumps out at you other than his sheer size is watching him run," said Collinsworth, majority owner of Pro Football Focus, a subscription-based analytics service.

"He is a powerful-looking, maybe not Cam Newton, but in that big, strong, hit-me-I-don't care kind of category. And when I watch him throw, especially on the run, there's an ease to it. The ball just comes out so easily, it makes you think that there's a little more he could put on it. Like watching Usain Bolt run — it always looks like there's one more gear he could hit if he ever had to."

A look at quarterbacks picked by the Rams in past first rounds of the NFL draft

That said, Collinsworth can understand the appeal of Goff, who last season completed 64.5% of his passes, 43 for touchdowns, with 13 interceptions.

"The decision-making, you'd definitely take Goff, his ability to move around and make plays in the pocket, to see down the field," he said. "There's not one thing I don't love about him. ...

"If you said to me, 'You've got to put one of these guys on the field and win a game tomorrow,' I'd probably take Goff. But if you're looking at the next 10-15 years, there just seems to be so much upside to Wentz. I'd take him."

Follow Sam Farmer on Twitter: @LATimesfarmer

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-rams-trade-farmer-20160415-story.html
Copyright © 2016, Los Angeles Times

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I love this! I have nothing against Goff but I just think Wentz is special. He has all of the intangibles to go along with his physical talent. He is everything I want in a QB.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Again Gentlemen....Big QB that can run from a small school and a top notch RB...Connect the Dots!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Sam FarmerContact Reporter

Football is a game of disguise and misdirection, so fittingly theRams aren't disclosing which quarterback they'll select with the No. 1 pick in this month's draft, Cal's Jared Goff or North Dakota State's Carson Wentz.

This much is known: They'll take a quarterback, not surprising considering the hefty price tag required to make the unprecedented move from No. 15 to No. 1.

The Rams had private workouts with both players and it's highly improbable the team hasn't zeroed in on one. As General Manager Les Snead said Thursday in a news conference formally announcing the trade with the Tennessee Titans, "the hay is in the barn" in terms of scouting the quarterbacks. An interesting wrinkle is that both players are represented by agent Bruce Tollner, son of former USC football coach Ted Tollner.

Rams are going all in for a quarterback. Will that No. 1 draft pick pay off?

While the Rams have praised both players and caution against assuming that either is out of the running, some outside experts see the choice as clear: It's Wentz who should wind up in L.A.

NFL Network draft analyst. "So in my mind, it has to be Wentz — it's not even a question — and I think it's the intangibles that sold [Rams Coach] Jeff Fisher and Les Snead, on top of the physical stuff."

Mayock said he was impressed when studying video of Goff after the season and initially thought he was the best quarterback prospect in the class. He changed his mind, though, after watching tape of Wentz.

"At that point, I had never heard of Carson Wentz," Mayock said. "He was just a name on a quarterback list. I put in his tape against Northern Iowa and when I got done with it I was like, 'Wow, I hope the next one is just as good, because this was kind of special.' And the next one was just as good if not better, as was the next one."

See the most-read stories in Sports this hour >>
But there wasn't a large body of work from Wentz's 2015 season because he sat out eight games because of a broken wrist. He shined at the Senior Bowl, however, and Mayock said he was clearly the best quarterback there.

Mayock said he was sold on Wentz after attending his pro day in Fargo, N.D.

"I watched him interact with his offensive linemen in the locker room," he said. "They were giving him a hard time, teasing him, 'You're a celebrity. You're not one of us anymore.' He was handling it beautifully, having fun with his guys. The head coach, the offensive coordinator, the quarterback coach, all three of them reiterated how much he controlled the line of scrimmage, the fact that he never got less than an 'A' in school. His work ethic is off the charts."

Another draft expert, Greg Cosell, said that taking the 6-foot-5, 237-pound Wentz over Goff would be a "no-brainer." The former Cal quarterback is an inch shorter and, at 215 pounds, more angular.

Andrew Luck. The reason people struggled with that for so long, and they still struggle with it, is because of the level of competition [at FCS North Dakota State].

"He can make every kind of throw, whether it involves power and velocity or pace and touch. He played in a very multiple system in college, in which he called the protections at the line of scrimmage."

Cris Collinsworth, color analyst on NBC's Sunday Night Football, raised eyebrows last month when, in his first-ever mock draft, he predicted that the Rams would trade all the way up to make Wentz the top pick.

Rams can bring more star power to L.A. with a franchise quarterback

He took a drubbing on Twitter for making what many people viewed as a ludicrous projection — then sat back and watched that precise scenario unfold, or at least the trade part of it.

Collinsworth too believes that the Rams will take Wentz.

"When you put the tape of Wentz on, the first thing that jumps out at you other than his sheer size is watching him run," said Collinsworth, majority owner of Pro Football Focus, a subscription-based analytics service.

"He is a powerful-looking, maybe not Cam Newton, but in that big, strong, hit-me-I-don't care kind of category. And when I watch him throw, especially on the run, there's an ease to it. The ball just comes out so easily, it makes you think that there's a little more he could put on it. Like watching Usain Bolt run — it always looks like there's one more gear he could hit if he ever had to."

A look at quarterbacks picked by the Rams in past first rounds of the NFL draft

That said, Collinsworth can understand the appeal of Goff, who last season completed 64.5% of his passes, 43 for touchdowns, with 13 interceptions.

"The decision-making, you'd definitely take Goff, his ability to move around and make plays in the pocket, to see down the field," he said. "There's not one thing I don't love about him. ...

"If you said to me, 'You've got to put one of these guys on the field and win a game tomorrow,' I'd probably take Goff. But if you're looking at the next 10-15 years, there just seems to be so much upside to Wentz. I'd take him."

Follow Sam Farmer on Twitter: @LATimesfarmer

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-rams-trade-farmer-20160415-story.html
Copyright © 2016, Los Angeles Times
This^ piece has me convinced, even more than I already was, that " Wentz" IS the Pick!! JMHO

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just hope that Wentz isn't QB version of Brian Quick. Snead and Fishe Wentz and saw Quick at his college and was enthralled by his athleticism...his potential...we know how this worked out. If we pick Wentz, I won't hate it because I liked what I saw him do at the Combine an Pro Day.....But Quick keeps coming to mind.:puke:

TexasRam

Legend
It's possible Wentz reaches big time potential with all those tools but selling the farm for a small school projection is a recipe for sinking a franchise for another 5-10 years.

I will root for Wentz if we pick him but it's scary to think how easily he could struggle vs NFL level competition.

I take Goff the safe pick. I'm with Kurt Warner on this. It's a no brainier.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
When you take into account Fisher's history and scheme, Wentz seems like the safer bet. This is probably why the draft pundits are saying him.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I just hope that Wentz isn't QB version of Brian Quick. Snead and Fishe Wentz and saw Quick at his college and was enthralled by his athleticism...his potential...we know how this worked out. If we pick Wentz, I won't hate it because I liked what I saw him do at the Combine an Pro Day.....But Quick keeps coming to mind.:puke:

Quick should not come to mind, Wentz is very bright and was calling plays from the line scrimmage, Quick's issues before his injury was always from the neck up!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
When you take into account Fisher's history and scheme, Wentz seems like the safer bet. This is probably why the draft pundits are saying him.

It's mixed right now 50/50 guys Mike Silver think Goff because he's a plug & play and others like Sam Farmer feel somebody built like Wentz and his ability to run too gives him the edge. IMO and I post this with trepidation I don't think the Rams can lose, however, they went with the slight build QB in Bradford and that's why IMO, they go Wentz because I truly Fisher wants a QB that can take off and get you a first down if the play breaks down.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To hear Cosell praise Wentz has me convinced. I believe everything that comes out of that dudes mouth. He really can break down film and plays and knows who should be doing what in each one.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Well .. wouldn't you choice a QB that well work-out well in your scheme!?!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Biggest difference is that Quick was and is a slow learner (dunno if there's a learning disability or if he just has a really low football IQ). Wentz is the exact opposite being a super fast learner, essentially a coach on the field and aspires to be a coach.

When I was in the US Navy Nuclear Power Program, they had a protocol called EID or Explain in Detail in which they expected every student to learn each subject to a degree that they could learn it well enough to "explain in detail" to someone who'd never seen the subject before. In essence, learn it well enough to teach it. Having been through that, it's pretty easy to spot others who have that same approach. That depth requires a level of next level commitment that even most of those at the very top don't possess.

Carson Wentz has it. He's got that next level of dedication and commitment.

You could see that when he broke his wrist and since he'd been in the program for 4 years, he put on a headset and spent those 8 weeks while he was rehabbing being a coach. His level of involvement wasn't at all out of character, but he was clearly effective because he helped prep his replacement such that they didn't lose a game while he was out. Many think that's a knock against him. Rather, it's a testament of his depth of study and commitment to his craft and team.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Biggest difference is that Quick was and is a slow learner (dunno if there's a learning disability or if he just has a really low football IQ). Wentz is the exact opposite being a super fast learner, essentially a coach on the field and aspires to be a coach.

When I was in the US Navy Nuclear Power Program, they had a protocol called EID or Explain in Detail in which they expected every student to learn each subject to a degree that they could learn it well enough to "explain in detail" to someone who'd never seen the subject before. In essence, learn it well enough to teach it. Having been through that, it's pretty easy to spot others who have that same approach. That depth requires a level of next level commitment that even most of those at the very top don't possess.

Carson Wentz has it. He's got that next level of dedication and commitment.

You could see that when he broke his wrist and since he'd been in the program for 4 years, he put on a headset and spent those 8 weeks while he was rehabbing being a coach. His level of involvement wasn't at all out of character, but he was clearly effective because he helped prep his replacement such that they didn't lose a game while he was out. Many think that's a knock against him. Rather, it's a testament of his depth of study and commitment to his craft and team.
I was a Nuke ET, so I know what you say...I guess we'll see. I'm more impressed by Goff, but Wentz is a good kid.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm so damn torn between the two, I feel bi-polar. Wentz has the weight while Goff is a little frail looking at 215. Goff throws a beautiful long ball where Wentz tends to lack accuracy going deep. Wentz has been in a pro style O and spent a lot of time under center while Goff has spent nearly his entire time in the gun. Wentz seems to be the better runner but Goff has a great pocket awareness. Goff is two years younger but has 9" hands and has fumbled a lot but Wentz has fumbled plenty too and broke his hand. Goff hasn't been injured despite taking a lot of hits at Cal and Wentz hasn't played against the same level of competition as Goff. They say Goff is ready to start Week 1 while Wentz may need some time. I teeter towards Wentz but then totter towards Goff.:thinking::palm::thinking::palm::thinking::palm:

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I was a Nuke ET, so I know what you say...I guess we'll see. I'm more impressed by Goff, but Wentz is a good kid.

Hey, shipmate! I was headed that way! was in week 24 of 27 of Nuke Field ET "A" school when I had a medical so I got pulled (was about to graduate with honors). Then the doc overmedicated me so bad that I had a seizure that nearly killed me and that was it. I coulda fought the initial medical, but not the seizure. Never got to my boat. I was in it for the long haul, too. Boomers and I wanted to make it a career.

Oh well. Is what it is, I guess...

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I'm so damn torn between the two, I feel bi-polar. Wentz has the weight while Goff is a little frail looking at 215. Goff throws a beautiful long ball where Wentz tends to lack accuracy going deep. Wentz has been in a pro style O and spent a lot of time under center while Goff has spent nearly his entire time in the gun. Wentz seems to be the better runner but Goff has a great pocket awareness. Goff is two years younger but has 9" hands and has fumbled a lot but Wentz has fumbled plenty too and broke his hand. Goff hasn't been injured despite taking a lot of hits at Cal and Wentz hasn't played against the same level of competition as Goff. They say Goff is ready to start Week 1 while Wentz may need some time. I teeter towards Wentz but then totter towards Goff.:thinking::palm::thinking::palm::thinking::palm:

Well, I may be able to help a little and make it harder a little. Which might not help at all...

Wentz's deep ball has been really improving since he came back from the Championship. The Championship game was his first game in 8 weeks. He's rapidly improved at every stop, Senior Bowl, Combine, Pro Day, etc. Goff's deep ball is nice, but as I went into the physics of it with jrry, because he seems to spin it with less velocity, the deeper the ball, the more he has a tendency to underthrow his receivers or have to throw it with a "draw" where it seems to float at the end and drop. Now, that might seem nice and on a few instances preferred, but that loft on a deep ball generally is bad because it allows the safety into the play. All I have to do is reference the Peyton Manning play to Emmanuel Sanders where because Manning chose to try and loft the ball over the CB, McLeod was "let into" the play and just...leveled Sanders. Safeties just live to see that loft. He also has a hitch in his throwing motion. It's a little wrist-DNA rifle. It's not the worst thing in the world, but it's a horrible habit in an NFL pocket.

Check on the systems. I think Goff has the mental acuity to pick up pro systems pretty quickly, but he will need time. Wentz by all accounts is so far ahead of the game that he seems prepared to go right away.

While Wentz has run at NDSU, it's highly unlikely that he's going to be doing much running at the NFL level. Think Russell Wilson. He rarely has planned runs, but will make a team pay if they leave the back door open. True that Goff is much more a prototypical pocket passer in that regard.

Goff may have fumbled more when he was younger, but those have decreased substantially. Neither QB is a fumble risk at the next level. Wentz broke his wrist, not his hand, to be clear. Goff also separated his throwing shoulder against Stanford. Neither is an injury risk, per se. Goff, as Gruden pointed out, needs to be more aware of the hits he takes since they will be much bigger at the next level. Wentz will need to protect himself better if he does run.

Especially due to system immersion, Wentz should be more than capable of starting week 1. Goff, otoh, while very talented, will still have some learning to do in transitioning from that spread.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...wentz-s-valid-andrew-luck-comp-152623472.html

Leading up to the NFL draft on April 28-30, NFL Films' Greg Cosell will be sharing his views on many of the top prospects based on his extensive film study of those players.

Andrew Luck was considered a rare prospect, and as such, people are hesitant to compare other high-level prospects to Luck.

I believe Carson Wentz is a high-level prospect, my top quarterback in this draft class, and I think the comparison to Luck is valid.

What happens down the road in any prospect’s career is pure speculation, and how Wentz does in the NFL is a product of many variables. So I don’t know how Wentz's NFL career will compare to what Luck has done or will continue to do. But I see many similarities between the two quarterbacks.

Like Luck, Wentz is smart. He was a 4.0 student at North Dakota State. Physically, the two are similar, and we’ll get to that in a bit. One thing that stood out to me about Wentz is his poise in critical moments. That reminds me of Luck as well.

Wentz, with his team trailing 28-24 against Northern Iowa last season, led a late drive and threw a game-winning touchdown in the final minute. He converted a couple key fourth downs and showed outstanding poise and composure. It was an excellent combination of patience and aggressiveness. (Move ahead to 11:24 of the video below to watch him lead the game-winning drive.)

Physically there’s a lot to like about Wentz too, and there are more reminders of Luck. Wentz is a very good athlete for a 6-foot-5, 237-pound quarterback (Wentz is actually a smoother-looking athlete than Luck because his body type is different: he is longer and leaner than Luck despite weighing 237 pounds). He has an awareness of how to play the position, like Luck. He has the ability to drive the ball when the throw demands it, as Luck does.

Wentz has very good arm strength. He is a tight, compact, easy thrower for a big quarterback. The ball comes out with velocity. Wentz can clearly drive the ball, which is a result of a strong core and lower body.

Wentz isn’t just a fastball thrower. He has showed the refinement to throw with touch and pace when demanded. He can make firm, touch seam throws that are part of NFL passing games. He showed an excellent feel for the different kinds of throws that are necessary for the situation.

There were other things I liked about Wentz when I watched the film: He had an excellent command of the offense, controlling the game at the line of scrimmage when needed with a lot of audibles and checks. He excelled in a structured passing game that asked him to make progression reads and difficult NFL-type throws. All of that will help in his transition to the pro game.

He also is a good runner. There were times when the NDSU offense looked like the Carolina Panthers offense with its multiple backfield actions and run game dimensions. Here’s a quarterback run behind the fullback that went for a touchdown:

View gallery

a0c52e30-f4f5-11e5-b4c2-ab8b0314291b_Screen-Shot-2016-03-25-at-2-34-20-PM.png

(YouTube.com screen shot)

View gallery

bf93fda0-f4f5-11e5-b4c2-ab8b0314291b_Screen-Shot-2016-03-25-at-2-34-36-PM.png

View gallery

dd239650-f4f5-11e5-b4c2-ab8b0314291b_Screen-Shot-2016-03-25-at-2-35-11-PM.png

View gallery

fb160f80-f4f5-11e5-b4c2-ab8b0314291b_Screen-Shot-2016-03-25-at-2-35-35-PM.png

And another read-option run:

View gallery

3198d560-f4f6-11e5-b4c2-ab8b0314291b_Screen-Shot-2016-03-25-at-2-48-03-PM.png

View gallery

5c6abf60-f4f6-11e5-b4c2-ab8b0314291b_Screen-Shot-2016-03-25-at-2-48-16-PM.png

View gallery

7ae617a0-f4f6-11e5-b4c2-ab8b0314291b_Screen-Shot-2016-03-25-at-2-48-28-PM.png

If a team decides to use Wentz as a regular part of their running game, as the Panthers do with Cam Newton, he has the ability to excel in that role.

Wentz has many skills you like to see, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll be an NFL success. Going back to the Luck example, even though the assumption was that Luck’s decision making wouldn’t be a problem in the NFL because of his high-level intelligence, he hasn’t been a consistently good decision maker in the pros — that’s a part of Luck’s game he must continue to work on. So it’s always tough to project any prospect, no matter the position. There’s a lot of variables involved in becoming a high-level NFL player, especially at quarterback.

I can only tell you what I’ve seen on tape from the prospects going into the draft. And what I’ve seen from Wentz is pretty good. He's my No. 1 quarterback in this draft.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Most evaluators I don't give two craps about.

Two I do? Greg Cosell and Mike Mayock who really delve a ton into the film.

BOTH are super high on Wentz and both have said the Luck comparison is fair and legit.

If that's right (and I think it's fair), then this Rams team is about to DOMINATE.

Presuming we take him...