Sam Bradford: In A Class All By Himself

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/5/19/5728406/in-a-class-all-by-himself

When it comes to Sam Bradford, there does not seem to be anyone else in the entire league like him.

185429785.0_standard_709.0.jpg

It’s like everyone knows him, but no one knows who he is? Sam Bradford is the biggest enigma in the NFL. Because of this, there is a clean split on Bradford. You have your Bradford lovers, and then you have your Bradford haters. Bradford lovers will go to hell and back defending him. Bradford haters would like nothing more than to see the Rams draft or trade for a replacement. Bradford's support is strong with his lovers, but his nonsupport is equally as strong from his haters.

You can search all of sports, and you will still be hard pressed to find someone that stirs up an argument like Sam Bradford can. The only other argument I have known to get more heated is when people say Kobe Bryant or LeBron James is better than Michael Jordan (those can be fighting words). But the Bradford debate is not far behind. It's seems the football world is set on all other young QB's, except Bradford. Ask about Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, or Brandon Weeden (not really a "young" QB, but fresh in the NFL nonetheless), and you will get a lot of negative responses - notifying you - that they are not franchise caliber QB's and cannot lead a team to a super bowl. Ask about Cam Newton, Russell Wilson (already got his), or Andrew Luck, and people begin to blush uncontrollably about their potential success in the NFL 10 years from now.

Bradford does not unanimously fall on either side the way those other guys do. Bradford has only unanimously played the fence better than everyone else. As a Bradford lover, I know all the positives/excuses for him. He has progressively gotten better over the course of his first four seasons. His 2013 season prior to his injury was on pace to be about as good as it gets. He also never had a decent receiver core before last year. His offensive coordinators have SUCKED. His offensive line has SUCKED. He has not experienced continuity. So on and so forth...

When Sam went down, he was top six in yards, TD's, completions, and rating. Only Peyton Manning had more TD's than him. In the seven games Bradford played in for 2013, he saw 21 passes dropped. Of those 21, four would have been touchdowns. He even had a fifth touchdown (61 yds) called back for a questionable tripping penalty. Bradford's season ended with a 60.7% completion rate and 14 TDs. If those four drops for TD's were caught - and the 61 yard bomb to Tavon Austin was never negated - his season ends with 19 touchdowns. And if just half of the drops were caught - we will say 11 since the total number of drops is odd - he finishes with a 64.8 completion rate. Those numbers averaged out over the course of 16 games comes to....

4123 yds, 43 TDs, 65% completion, 9 int, 99.2 rating (est)

But for every glass that is half full, it is also half empty. Bradford has a tendency to dump the ball off. While a lot of it has to do with play calls, some of it is just the cold hard truth that Bradford does not trust his receivers. When you watched him with Danny Amendola and Danario Alexander (players he trusted) he would let it rip. He did not care if they were in single coverage, double or triple. He believed that he could put the ball in a spot in they would get it. He does not show that same faith with his current receiver core. Now they have to have a step on the defender for him to even consider. Bradford is also very average when reading the blitz. He is not bad at it at all, but he is nowhere near great at it either. That may be an okay trend for some traits, but when you are talking about the blitz, you have to get it every time. The purpose of the blitz is to either sack the QB or force him into a mistake. More times than not, when the QB does not know it is coming, one of the two will happen.

Bradford's biggest issue is that he struggles with his health. He has had a hard time staying healthy in his career. There seems to always be something. Me being a Bradford lover, this is hard for me to accept. I was as big a Brett Favre fan as a person can be. I went from the original "Iron Man" to the "Paper Man". That's a tough pill to swallow. Bradford has to do something different in his workout regime or something to help increase his health. If he gets hurt again it is probably for the best to write him off. Sam Bradford literally has no other option but to play a full 16 games, and play well.

I do not judge QB's off of wins and losses. This is the ultimate team sport, so I judgeTEAM wins and losses. I judge individuals off of their performances. There are a few players that are so good - so amazing - that they somehow propel their team into the winning column. But that type of player is far and away the best at what they do. So I don't use that as a measuring stick. It would be silly and naive of me to expect every player to be the next Tom Brady, Adrian Peterson, or Ray Lewis.

Let me be clear: I don't know if Sam Bradford is elite, has the skills to be, or ever will be. Elite is a word that's used loosely. But in my opinion... YOU DO NOT NEED AN ELITE QUARTERBACK TO WIN A SUPERBOWL. There has been plenty of non-elite QB's to win it all. It is not a necessity, but merely an added bonus. But I would like to see Bradford establish himself as one, or the other. Either he is apart of the Brandon Weedon tier of QB's, or he has a bright future along with the Andrew Luck tier. Either way, this season should answer a lot of questions.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's fair enough, but I have two comments.

1. Bradford actually ranks well against the blitz (ergo, he can read them)
53 of 79 for 572 yards, 67.1% 7.24 YPA, 7 TD's, 1 INT, 1 sack, 112.4 QB Rating.

2. There is nothing he can do to his training regimen that would reduce his injuries (they were all flukes)

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
fair assesment of SB. i also thought he had great stats against the blitz thanks for posting that X.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Just stay healthy the whole year Sam and lead te Rams to post season....I'm not asking much, am I?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm tired of the "you dont need an elite QB to win a Superbowl" stuff.
Fact is you do, or at least a guy who can play up to that level.
Of course there are a handful of exceptions to the rule, like Trent Dilfer, but by far the exception and not the rule.

Sam has all the physical tools to be that elite QB, thats never been a doubt. Cant measure the mental side of it, thats the frustrating part

FRO

Legend
When you look at the amount of offenses the guy had to learn with different coordinators.

When you look at the quality and quantity of line combinations in front of him.

When you consider that Mark Clayton was his best WR.

It's a wonder that Bradford is still in the league. Guy has had very little to work with. Get him the tools and he will succeed. My only concern with him is the injuries.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Of course there are a handful of exceptions to the rule, like Trent Dilfer, but by far the exception and not the rule.

Sam has all the physical tools to be that elite QB, thats never been a doubt. Cant measure the mental side of it, thats the frustrating part

Sam is actually suited really well to be a superbowl winning QB.

He's not Petyon or Tom, but he can win the game if we have a successful running attack. He doesn't turn the ball over. If you take away the tipped balls for INTs...he has like what 1 INT all year?

Down by 1 TD in the fourth? Don't worry, Sam will most likely put you in position to win the game.

FRO

Legend

Are Eli Manning or Joe Flacco elite?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

I think there's a middle ground here somewhere because "elite" is a subjective term. Winning with an elite QB is easier obviously, and you can win with a very good one as well. You can even with just a 'good' QB too. What you can rarely do is win with an average-below average QB (like Dilfer). Which of the following would you consider elite?

Super Bowl 1. Bart Starr (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 2. Bart Starr (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 3. Joe Namath (MVP), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 4. Len Dawson (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 5. John Unitas (Chuck Howley), 1 TD
Super Bowl 6. Roger Staubach (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 7. Bob Griese (Jake Scott), 1 TD
Super Bowl 8. Bob Griese (Larry Csonka), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 9. Terry Bradshaw (Franco Harris), 1 TD
Super Bowl 10. Terry Bradshaw (Lynn Swann), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 11. Ken Stabler (Fred Biletnikoff), 1 TD
Super Bowl 12. Roger Staubach (Harvey Martin & Randy White), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 13. Terry Bradshaw (MVP), 4 TDs
Super Bowl 14. Terry Bradshaw (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 15. Jim Plunkett (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 16. Joe Montana (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 17. Joe Theismann (John Riggins), 2 TDs,
Super Bowl 18. Jim Plunkett (Marcus Allen), 1 TD
Super Bowl 19. Joe Montana (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 20. Jim McMahon (Richard Dent), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 21. Phil Simms (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 22. Doug Williams (MVP), 4 TDs
Super Bowl 23. Joe Montana (Jerry Rice), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 24. Joe Montana (MVP), 5 TDs
Super Bowl 25. Jeff Hostetler (Ottis Anderson), 1 TD
Super Bowl 26. Mark Rypien (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 27. Troy Aikman (MVP), 4 TDs
Super Bowl 28. Troy Aikman (Emmitt Smith), O TDs
Super Bowl 29. Steve Young (MVP), 6 TDs
Super Bowl 30. Troy Aikman (Larry Brown), 1 TD
Super Bowl 31. Brett Favre (Desmond Howard), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 32. John Elway (Terrell Davis), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 33. John Elway (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 34. Kurt Warner (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 35. Trent Dilfer (Ray Lewis), 1 TD
Super Bowl 36. Tom Brady (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 37. Brad Johnson (Dexter Jackson), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 38. Tom Brady (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 39. Tom Brady (Deion Branch), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 40. Ben Roethlisberger (Hines Ward), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 41. Peyton Manning (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 42. Eli Manning (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 43: Ben Roethlisberger (Santonio Holmes), 1 TD
Super Bowl 44: Drew Brees (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 45: Aaron Rogers (MVP), 3TDs
Super Bowl 46: Eli Manning (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 47: Joe Flacco (MVP), 3TDs
Super Bowl 48: Russell Wilson, 2TDs

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Are Eli Manning or Joe Flacco elite?
That's why I said "or plays up to that level"
But yes, I do consider Eli as an elite QB in those games, those post seasons.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
This has been analyzed as nauseam.

Here it is in a nutshell. Regardless, of how or why bad stuff happened to him....

Bradford has used up all of his sick days.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
This has been analyzed as nauseam.

Here it is in a nutshell. Regardless, of how or why bad stuff happened to him....

Bradford has used up all of his sick days.
You would assume. All the pieces are in place anyway.
If he gets hurt again, or the team has a 2011-type injury plague, then who knows.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think there's a middle ground here somewhere because "elite" is a subjective term. Winning with an elite QB is easier obviously, and you can win with a very good one as well. You can even with just a 'good' QB too. What you can rarely do is win with an average-below average QB (like Dilfer). Which of the following would you consider elite?
If elite is the issue, than Pro-Bowl caliber might be more fitting.
For my money, the only guys I scratch off that list as JAG's are Dilfer, Hostetler and Williams. And Williams may have been a pro-bowl type QB had he not played for such an awful team, (did lead them to champ game though) and made poor decsion to go USFL

Hostetler's best years came after the Giants.

Dilfer is the one name. Akin to drafting a Brady in the 6th round or finding a Warner stocking shelves. Major exceptions to the rule

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin

Because Payton has won a bunch of super bowls right? A matter of fact last season elite Peyton Manning and his Juggernaut of an offense lost the Super bowl to a QB that I would not say is even close to elite and did not really play up to "elite" standards. If not for his running game and elite defense Wilson wouldn't even be sniffing the playoffs let alone a superbowl

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
That's a tough list X, especially presented this way. Case in point, it's often not a matter of how many (TD's), but when and under what circumstances they occur (i.e. Montana). Ultimately, as many have pointed out, it's a team sport, they live and die together. As for Bradford, I think we both have legitimate concerns regarding this QB. One thing seems fairly certain, he's had 4 years in the NFL, this is his 5th. He's got the support he needs (at least reasonably so), that's a darn good amount of time in the league regardless of his injuries (flukes or not). My sincere hope is that the pieces have finally come together on both sides of the ball and that we now begin to realize a significant "return on investment".

IMO, this season will determine two things: The Rams ability to successfully compete for a playoff birth and proof that $68M (or there abouts) hasn't gone down the toilet.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
You would assume. All the pieces are in place anyway.
If he gets hurt again, or the team has a 2011-type injury plague, then who knows.
If he gets hurt again, you let him go.

That's why he has to know all his chip are in this year.

Everything he has ever worked for all comes down to 2014 and him staying on the field and settling this thing once and for all.

Sure, if he goes down again this year someone will pick him up, but no one will trust him to be the guy, fluke or no fluke. He'll be in either a backup roll or an open competition as a stop gap.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because Payton has won a bunch of super bowls right? A matter of fact last season elite Peyton Manning and his Juggernaut of an offense lost the Super bowl to a QB that I would not say is even close to elite and did not really play up to "elite" standards. If not for his running game and elite defense Wilson wouldn't even be sniffing the playoffs let alone a superbowl
Not really understanding what your point is here. I didnt say having an "elite" QB guarantees a SB win. As for Wilson, I hate to give any props to our rivals, but that kid is fantastic. Terrible WR crew, leaky pass pro o-line and he made things happen. They dont win without him.
Still and all, throw him on the list and we're at maybe 4,5 guys out of 40